Author Topic: ABS and PBT together?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Weltschmerz

ABS and PBT together?
« on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:52:28 »
Hey everyone, I'm looking at upgrading my keyboard. Currently I have (probably thin) OEM Dolch keycaps, but I am looking to get cherry profile keycaps. I'm looking for darker colors, and what seems to be the best bang for my buck is http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-dark-grey-dyesub-thick-pbt-full-keyset/, a dyesub PBT set. Also looking at http://www.originativeco.com/products/purple-modifiers for my keyboard as well, because purple is my favorite color  ;D I was wondering if anyone much more experienced in keyboards could describe what it's like to mix abs and pbt together. Is it okay, or is the difference so great that it would cause great annoyance?
'

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: ABS and PBT together?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:56:44 »
It's the texture of the cap that you'll feel, not the actual plastic. Unless you're SUPER picky and it will bug you because you know they're mixed then don't.

My GMK set feels nicer than a Ducky PBT set for example, as the PBT is smoother. But PBT DSA from SP are really textured, and feel quite nice.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 04:07:13 »
I would usually steer way clear of Originative due to a very bad reputation here over a few disputes, im not sure how they are like now, but many people feel scammed from them.

On the other hand, Geekkeys is run by Feng, a very reputable sellar on ebay and a great GB hoster here, so that should be fine.

To answer your question, some ABS keys have a REALLY grainy texture, even moreso than the natural sandyness from PBT, but unless you're super sensitive and picky, theres nothing to worry about. (Although ABS can start shining relatively sooner, but since mods dont really get used that often, then meh)
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 04:10:58 »

I would usually steer way clear of Originative due to a very bad reputation here over a few disputes, im not sure how they are like now, but many people feel scammed from them.

On the other hand, Geekkeys is run by Feng, a very reputable sellar on ebay and a great GB hoster here, so that should be fine.

To answer your question, some ABS keys have a REALLY grainy texture, even moreso than the natural sandyness from PBT, but unless you're super sensitive and picky, theres nothing to worry about. (Although ABS can start shining relatively sooner, but since mods dont really get used that often, then meh)

Sherry is back, I hung out with him the other night. I know they've been flaky in the past but right now I trust him 100%.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 04:11:49 »
I've found that differences in profile (OEM vs. Cherry, for example) are far more obvious than different plastics.

If it was different plastics/texture across the alphas, that could be somewhat irksome, but modifiers of one plastic and alphas of another will probably be fine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:53:08 »
One difference I found is that ABS sounds a bit higher pitched / higher frequency than my PBT caps. And indeed the texture... big difference.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 10:51:30 »

I don't think he scammed anyone, just communicated poorly.

It is not like Feng, IMSTO and a number of other Geekhack Group Buy leaders are that much better.