Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141354 times)

Offline tbc

Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #1000 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 22:57:03 »
iphone 4 -> temporarily galaxy nexus (piece of ****) -> nexus 4

i have a thing for glass phones and I'm pretty careful so it's all good :D.  what's next?  i honestly don't know -_- just something that has a powered usb port so i can use my micro usb flash drive on it lol.

ps does anyone put phablets into their regular jeans? (not sweatpants and not baggy jeans)  I'm just wondering because everyone i've seen in public use a phablet is overweight and only can fit into sweatpants, are tiny asian girls and use a purse, or put it into their jacket pocket.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #1001 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 23:33:47 »
ps does anyone put phablets into their regular jeans? (not sweatpants and not baggy jeans)  I'm just wondering because everyone i've seen in public use a phablet is overweight and only can fit into sweatpants, are tiny asian girls and use a purse, or put it into their jacket pocket.

I have a Lumia 1520, probably the biggest phablet out there (with the exception of the Note). I've never put a smartphone into my pants pockets because of the risk of damage. I'm a big guy, so anything remotely fragile in my pockets is at risk of being destroyed. I actually keep my phone in the front pocket of my shirt for ease of access and because I use a wired headset to talk.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline dimmu

« Reply #1002 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 00:30:54 »

i have a thing for glass phones and I'm pretty careful so it's all good :D.  what's next?  i honestly don't know -_- just something that has a powered usb port so i can use my micro usb flash drive on it lol.

i use mostly slimfit, not skinny jeans and i usually just put them on my left back pocket. when i sit, i just take it out and hold it. my biggest problem with the size it just it messes up the wear than i'm trying to build up on my raw denims since i used to own 5.1 smart phones.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #1003 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 01:32:15 »

I have a Lumia 1520, probably the biggest phablet out there (with the exception of the Note). I've never put a smartphone into my pants pockets because of the risk of damage. I'm a big guy, so anything remotely fragile in my pockets is at risk of being destroyed. I actually keep my phone in the front pocket of my shirt for ease of access and because I use a wired headset to talk.
I have a Lumia 1520 as well but I don't fit regular jeans. I cycle a lot so my upper legs are like trees. Combine that with extra long legs and I make any normal pair of jeans look like skinny jeans or they are way too short.
So instead I wear outdoor pants most of the time that has larger pockets or put them in my jackets' side pocket.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline iri

« Reply #1004 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 02:30:48 »
ps does anyone put phablets into their regular jeans?
i do.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 02:43:41 »

i have a thing for glass phones and I'm pretty careful so it's all good :D .  what's next?  i honestly don't know -_- just something that has a powered usb port so i can use my micro usb flash drive on it lol.

My 5.5 inch fits fine in my jeans.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1006 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:39:00 »

i have a thing for glass phones and I'm pretty careful so it's all good :D .  what's next?  i honestly don't know -_- just something that has a powered usb port so i can use my micro usb flash drive on it lol.

D'awww

Offline iri

« Reply #1007 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:01:08 »

D'awww
mine is certainly bigger than his, but fits well in my jeans too.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1008 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:45:30 »
So far I reeeeally like it. I love the feedback that I didn't get with the iPhone, and just running a finger over the screen with the glass tapering off at the edges feels really nice.

One question though, how do I take a screenshot?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline dimmu

« Reply #1009 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:19:23 »
wrong thread*
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:28:16 by dimmu »

Offline iri

« Reply #1010 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:40:45 »
press the home button and the lock button simultaneously.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1011 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:00:58 »

I'm on a Lumia now :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #1012 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:47:28 »

Give us a review of your phone. 

WP8.1 has some nice features.  I was using my 820 with a bluetooth headset a few days ago, and a text came through.  WP8.1 gave the option of reading the text.  It's a useful, convenient feature, especially if you're driving or if your hands are tied.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:49:24 »

Ask Cortana nicely

Offline iri

« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:06:08 »

sorry, misread "didn't".
replace "home" with "start" and "lock" with "power". doesn't it work? another option is volume up + power. works on a colleague's 920.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:09:15 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:24:49 »
The very hard to get oneplus one  :p

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:38:45 »

WP8.1 has some nice features.  I was using my 820 with a bluetooth headset a few days ago, and a text came through.  WP8.1 gave the option of reading the text.  It's a useful, convenient feature, especially if you're driving or if your hands are tied.
It gets even better if you put it in car mode. You can set it to automatically read texts out loud and divides the screen into the four most used apps for car use like "Quick call" where you can put your most frequent contacts, "Here Drive" for navigation and "Music". And with Hey Cortana you can answer texts by just talking. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:44:30 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:43:44 »

It gets even better if you put it in car mode. You can set it to automatically read texts out loud and divides the screen into the four most used apps for car use like "Quick call" where you can put your most frequent contacts, "Here Drive" for navigation and "Music". And with Hey Cortana you can answer texts by just talking. :)
Show Image

I forgot about Car Mode.  Unfortunately, my car's bluetooth doesn't support this. 

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline dimmu

« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:00:28 »

it's extremely easy now compared to may of last year. had to wait 2 months and get extremely lucky to get mine.

did you want one? you were one day late from posting. i could have given you a link to their private survey that guarantees you an invite to buy the 64 gb version and a chance to win one of the 10 bamboo back covers. it just ended yesterday tho but let me know if you're still interested. i've been giving out free invites to friends/co workers and they might be able to get their free ones soon, too.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #1019 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:09:58 »

I received an invitation, but I had already purchased a Moto X.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 20:28:02 by ShawnMeg »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1020 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:37:01 »
I have a Nexus 5.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #1021 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 16:55:13 »

it's extremely easy now compared to may of last year. had to wait 2 months and get extremely lucky to get mine.

did you want one? you were one day late from posting. i could have given you a link to their private survey that guarantees you an invite to buy the 64 gb version and a chance to win one of the 10 bamboo back covers. it just ended yesterday tho but let me know if you're still interested. i've been giving out free invites to friends/co workers and they might be able to get their free ones soon, too.
Lol I got it when it first came out but thanks for the offer. Still waiting on the white style swap cover to come out

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1022 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 18:40:13 »
Finally about to upgrade to a Galaxy from my god-awful Lumia 822. group messages here I come!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline roaduck

« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:36:08 »
My ancient Samsung SGH-S8300 Tocco Ultra featurephone from autumn 2009 finally died when the phone's built-in charging circuit wouldn't work on two new batteries.I had grown attached to it because it had gone around the world and was bomb-proof.

I phoned up my carrier - Virgin mobile UK and got an android phone delivered the next day.I already had a VIP 18 - SIM only rolling one month contract with unlimited everything and I was desperate for anything; having no cellphone for over a week.

I got a Chinese 5" phablet called a ZTE Blade L2 for £60 unlocked.

It is my first smartphone and as it was just before Christmas money was tight precluding a Samsung or other big name.

I got a book wallet case cover from amazon for £4 and a 32 GB micro SD card for £5 from ebay - total bargain.

All I can say it's great full stop.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Single sim Antutu v.5.6 results: 19450!

Android: 4.4.2

CPU Model: MT6582 Mediatek 4 cores

Renderer: Mali-400MP

Rear Camera: 8.3 mega pixel 3840x2160

Front-facing Camera: 1.2 mega pixel 1280x960

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_l2-6367.php [ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:38:20 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #1024 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:27:27 »
My ancient Samsung SGH-S8300 Tocco Ultra featurephone from autumn 2009 finally died when the phone's built-in charging circuit wouldn't work on two new batteries.I had grown attached to it because it had gone around the world and was bomb-proof.

I phoned up my carrier - Virgin mobile UK and got an android phone delivered the next day.I already had a VIP 18 - SIM only rolling one month contract with unlimited everything and I was desperate for anything; having no cellphone for over a week.

I got a Chinese 5" phablet called a ZTE Blade L2 for £60 unlocked.

It is my first smartphone and as it was just before Christmas money was tight precluding a Samsung or other big name.

I got a book wallet case cover from amazon for £4 and a 32 (Attachment Link) GB micro SD card for £5 from ebay - total bargain.

All I can say it's great full stop.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Single sim Antutu v.5.6 results: 19450!

Android: 4.4.2

CPU Model: MT6582 Mediatek 4 cores

Renderer: Mali-400MP

Rear Camera: 8.3 mega pixel 3840x2160

Front-facing Camera: 1.2 mega pixel 1280x960

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_l2-6367.php (Attachment Link)

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

Looks nice.  In this age of phones of 6", I'm not sure if 5" qualifies as a phablet anymore.  You also have to be careful with microSD cards on eBay.  Many of them are counterfeit and of poor quality.  They fail early and also may not have as much storage as they indicate.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 22:47:09 by ShawnMeg »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1025 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 19:39:00 »
Just traded my 5S in for a 6+. Holy crap these 5.5" phones are almost way too big.

takes about a week and you'll start saying that the 5.1 phones are way too small.

Yup. Been about a week and whenever I pick up my wife's iPhone 6, it feels comically small.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1026 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:01:16 »
Switched from a moto x 16gb to a moto x dev edition 32gb

Offline hking0036

« Reply #1027 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:10:19 »
I use a Samsung Galaxy S III on verizon, and I run CM12 on it.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1028 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:07:46 »
HTC M8!
the only phone which I will get in the future is the M9, guarantee
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:45:35 »
Google know enough without giving me a monitoring device to carry round, iPhones don't bounce well enough to justify their price and Windows 8 is irritating.

This gave me little choice in the realm of upgrades from my trusty Nokia Pureview 808 so I got a Jolla - love the OS, size and standby time, but camera is terrible (I was spoiled with the Nokia) and I didn't realise it doesn't do USB OTG, which is annoying.  I'm good for a couple of years as long as it bounces :-X
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #1030 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:19:29 »
a phone should bounce?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline aceps00

« Reply #1031 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:49:16 »
OnePlus One!  :)
Type Heaven / IBM Model M

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #1032 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:25:11 »
Still love my black Iphone 5 64GB

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1033 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 04:27:26 »
Im on a htc m8
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline pesky brat

« Reply #1034 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 14:42:48 »
Im on a htc m8

I have an HTC One M8 too. It's my first smartphone actually. Unfortunately, the camera lens cracked like 2 weeks after I bought it - I heard this was a manufacturing issue or something, but they wouldn't give me a new one  :(.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 15:58:17 »
a phone should bounce?
Of course!  I watched a dismayed colleague pick up his shattered iphone after a drop from his pocket onto carpet while sitting down, not long after I showed him what happens when I drop my Nokia from my ear while standing onto paving slabs - the corner dented.  What use is a phone if you have to baby it?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1036 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:46:05 »
A couple of months ago I upgraded my kids from Galaxy S3s to Galaxy S5s and myself from an S2 to an Avant.

I ordered cheap-ass cases over the internet from China, and it took going through 2-4 of them before we each got one that we really liked, but we are satisfied now. All for less than the retail price of one Otter.

We are all very happy, and since I am generally indifferent to smartphones as glorified cellphones, the Avant at half the price of an S5 seems like a great bargain. It is narrower and thinner, too.

There are 2 things that I am over the moon about: first, the "wake-up" button is on the front! Halleluiah! Since I carry my phone in my front pants pocket and pull it in and out often, side buttons make me insane.

The other thing is that the battery life is much improved, for whatever reasons.

There is something else: ebay has pestered me for months to "sell your old cell phones on ebay"

I will tell you that selling 3 Samsung Galaxy cell phones, in excellent condition, in their original boxes, on ebay was an utter nightmare. I am an experienced ebay seller with well over 1K transactions over 15 years on 3 different accounts (all with 100% positive feedback) and I have never been dragged through the sewer like this!

I am accustomed to completing sales and payment and shipping quickly and trading positive feedback all within a matter of a couple of weeks.

Since listing the 3 phones shortly after Christmas, at Buy-It-Now ebay prices very much in line with other similar "Completed Sales" (not current listings or completed listings, which can be completely off the wall) I sold one fairly quickly but never received feedback; allegedly "sold" anther one "Buy-It-Now + Immediate-payment-required" but the buyer (0 feedback) went dark and it took nearly 2 weeks to get disentangled and re-list it, then another 2-3 weeks to sell it and finally received positive feedback yesterday.

The other one - even though Africa was supposedly "excluded" - was bought by "Mohammed Khan" (is that "John Doe", or what?) in Morocco. When I went to the PO to ship it, I discovered that "flat rate international box" did not apply to Morocco and that it was double what I had allotted for postage!

Within hours after the package had cleared customs from Miami (the end of any real tracking) the buyer went to Paypal and froze my account over an "item not received" complaint! The back-and-forth with Paypal ensued, but fortunately I had copies of the postal receipt and customs declaration. A week and half later, based on flimsy tracking and delivery, Paypal released my account and I got the money. "Mohammed" never left me positive feedback for the pristine phone and is probably irritated that he did not get it for free!

And, in case any of you ebay sellers were not aware, the "ebay seller protection program" specifically excludes cell phones, and the country of Morocco, from its protection plan!

3 cheers for ebay/Paypal!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:47:37 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1037 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:55:07 »
I have been using a Nexus 6 since December.  FWIW I was against large phones for the longest time.  I came from a Nexus 5, and have grown to love the size of this phone.  I highly recommend it to anyone that is considering it.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1038 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 19:58:22 »
Still using the Oneplus One. I would say it's the best smartphone I've ever owned.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1039 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 21:03:42 »
Still using the Oneplus One. I would say it's the best smartphone I've ever owned.
I thought about going 1+1 after my Nexus 5, but decided to stay Nexus due to all the CM inc. drama that was going on.

If the 1+2(?) is decent, I might try it out. Hopefully this time they do a normal release though.

Edit: autocorrect