Author Topic: New 60% board... whatever it is called. +Rumors and speculations.  (Read 50863 times)

Offline shibbyllama889

Re: New 60% board... whatever it is called.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:19:37 »
Yea, that's why I put "problem" in quotation marks like that. However, I find it odd that you would say that you don't like the WASD arrows on the Poker, as it is exactly the same as where the Pure's are, but on the left hand instead of the right, and usable with one hand if you have the left side Fn dip switch on in exactly the same way.

The Pure's Fn layer is okay, the only thing that I don't like is that using only one hand pressing Home or End with your right thumb on Fn is too tight of a curl.

In general though, when I talk about "right" Fn layers though, I'm arguing from the point of efficiency (sensible hand placement, usually focused around the homerow and in the picture I put above, accessible with one hand if needed) and common sense (eg I'd always make sure that Page Up/Down make sense relative to each other and same with Home/End). Anyways, I'll be looking forward to the GH60. Whenever there's talk about 60% keyboards, it's always arguments over the Fn layer and not having it programmable seems to be a big fault that I think more producers of these keyboards should start to address if they're going to be so common.

Still, the plate mounting and the dedicated arrows on this will surely appeal to some people.

I can't speak for laffindude, but the reason I don't prefer the Poker's arrow cluster to the Pure's is because of text editing. I often will use Ctrl + Shift + Arrow Key to highlight and cursor through whole words at a time. This kind of maneuver is tough with the arrow keys under the left hand. For me, I hit Ctrl and Shift with my left hand, so having the Fn and arrow keys on the right hand is much easier. I would have to go against my muscle memory and re-learn to use Ctrl and Shift with my right hand.

I do agree the Pure's arrow keys are in the wrong spot though, they should be even further to the right! If they were on pl;' that would make it perfect I think. I don't mind moving my hand to the right to use the arrow keys since it's unnatural to keep my fingers on the arrow keys and curl my thumb all the way to he Fn key anyway.

The Pure messed everything up by binding Ctrl+Alt+Del to Fn +L-shift. Worst idea ever. Makes text editing a delicate finger dance.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:48:08 »
^That's about it. Edit: I also prefer to use right hand for the nav keys. WASD is back asswards for me.
I could do a left FN key, but I use all the left modifiers. Having arrows and other navigation in one hand is convenient.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:54:01 by laffindude »

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 02:27:39 »
When will you be able to tell us more information regarding the other 60% keyboards laffindude?
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline limmy

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 02:42:19 »
No layout fill satisfy everyone. That is why we need customizable layout!

It has been a couple of years since Korean custom boards had the feature. I don't really understand what is so hard about it. I am still waiting for a keyboard with customizable second layer (function layer).

I was super excited to hear about Guru-board ( http://www.guru-board.com/ ) but that didn't happen. Who knows when or if it is going to happen.. Sigh..

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 07:14:54 »
@Sinzz: When the design and features are closer to being finalized.

@ Limmy: It isn't hard to make programmable boards, but I can think of many issues preventing people making production boards. For larger ODMs, they can sell tens of thousands of board even without programmability. There aren't incentives for them to do it. OEMs just want turnkey solution from ODMs. The smaller companies doesn't have enough resources.
Then there is cost. You probably figure out all the cost associated with using a programmable controller.

That said. Programmable will probably be the next gimmick after the LED backlit fad is over. The board in the OP has a programmable 3rd layer. Fully programmable boards shouldn't be too far off.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 10:12:15 »
Ducky Nordic just annouce full programmable 60% board in development. They also said plate mount and backlight, so probably something like a 60% Shine2.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Re: Re: New 60% board... whatever it is called.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 10:23:33 »
Ducky Nordic just annouce full programmable 60% board in development. They also said plate mount and backlight, so probably something like a 60% Shine2.

Got a link to announcement?
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 10:44:37 »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:05:43 »

The 66key he talked about is the ISO version of the board in the OP. Glad they went against the 66key version. I hope Vortex will move the ANSI version back down to 62keys as well. It is not a Ducky board.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:10:12 »
I'd love a 60 key fully programmable ANSI layout board. I hope the GH60 will fulfill that wish. Otherwise, maybe somebody would be awesome enough to put together a Mini-Phantom project?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:13:46 »
I'd love a 60 key fully programmable ANSI layout board. I hope the GH60 will fulfill that wish. Otherwise, maybe somebody would be awesome enough to put together a Mini-Phantom project?

60-key layout meaning ANSI with 1.50 mods? That's the exact layout I had in mind when I started the GH60 project. komar was able to include many other layout options, but that was my original goal, same as yours. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:16:16 »
Yup!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:30:42 »
I am still debating a GH60. I mean, a friend is gonna program a few Holtek controllers for his own Pure, so I could just piggy back and have a few done for me. If I get a GH60, It would be made in the 62key layout with just minor changes to the keymapping. Spending 30 cents apiece and treat him to coffee is preferable to spending 100 bucks ;o

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 16:45:37 »
Some updates on various 60%:
But ya. I am actually hearing rumor of 2 other 60% boards. I heard a rumor about a Chinese 60%.

Asked the guy who told me about the Chinese board. Leopold is it.
The other rumored board I just saw a picture of. The exterior looks nice with the new case.

To recap on the coming 60% boards:
Poker 2
Poker Pro
Poker "classic" - Unclear whether or not this will be programmable like Poker 2, but it will have the original Poker layout.
Poker "DIY" - Programmable + different layouts supported.

Leopold FC660M
Rumored 60%
Filco 60%
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:01:18 by laffindude »

Offline Sinzz

New 60% board... whatever it is called.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:54:23 »
Wow so many pokers.. Now the big question is.. When can we expect these pokers?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:38:45 »
Production sample should be really soon for Poker 2. Other ones have to wait.

I heard a rumor a little while ago. I just got a phone call confirming it. Filco will have a 60% board within ~1-2 month.
Rumored is sampling right now, but friend couldn't get me one because there were too few of them to go around.
Edit edit: ^Just saw another picture of that in higher resolution (I was told to check my email, and I didn't do that first ;)). Not sure if I can post it but it does look really nice with that finish on it ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 10:49:59 by laffindude »

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:59:55 »
D: So many to choose from... Should I wait, or should I jump the gun with Poker 2... :eek:

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:11:34 »
@Sinzz: Do you mind the odd arrow cluster + the reduced size modifiers? Although I don't mind it as much as some people in this thread, it really is an odd physical layout. You'll have limited option in keycaps, if you want full matching sets. If you aren't in a hurry (why would you be? ;)), I'd say wait until most of the boards are out so you can pick the ones with the right features for you.

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:18:07 »
I love the arrow clusters on a 60%! But you're right, It will be extremely tough finding a matching keycap set for it... Not a big fan of the FC660M so I guess I'll wait to hear about the Filco and the other rumored and see if I'll like the idea or design. I do hope to get one by Q1 this year though, since I need to find a quieter keyboard (Blacks or Reds) for when I am typing up a storm and my girlfriend is over. She can't stand my MX Blues. :))

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:37:57 »
The thing about the Filco is, you don't know when Keyboardco will get them. Then if you want it cheaply, you'll have to wait for them to ship it to Amazon warehouse. You definitely won't get it in Q1 unless you buy it overseas.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 17:10:56 »
Now onto the board itself. It has same mounting holes as a Pure. I am sure some of you will jizz your pants at the next statement... It is a plate mount. It doesn't feel flimsy and light like plastic cased Poker and Pure. It's a solid feeling board. I don't get to play with this for an extended time, so I won't mount it in my aluminum Pure case (which is dampened and weighted down. It will be epic when I buy a production board.).

Indeed I did. Twice.
One of the main things which irks me about the KBT Race :(

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: New 60% board... whatever it is called. +Rumors and speculations.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:51:14 »
Well, you can always bug beast to do a plate for Race.

Offline wupi

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:34:24 »
Need German ISO Layout ! :)
Otaku ISO is also ok. ;)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:12:50 »
Need German ISO Layout ! :)
Otaku ISO is also ok. ;)

I'm with you on that :D

well actually I could write this in any thread here ... especially group buys .... I want pbt sets with "ö" "ä" etc.  ;)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:16:58 »
So many goodies... so little money...  :p

Offline sordna

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:30:39 »
If Poker 2 is programmable, what make Poker DIY different?
In any case, a programmable poker, where you can rearrange the Fn layer would be SWEET.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Sinzz

New 60% board... whatever it is called. +Rumors and speculations.
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:34:39 »
Laffindude, just saw your edit edit, and i think you should definitely post it! :D

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:55:27 »
Man! Can't wait. I wonder if it will be available with front printed caps.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:36:31 »
Laffindude, just saw your edit edit, and i think you should definitely post it! :D

Agreed! You'd be doing the community a service.  :))

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:11:43 »
If Poker 2 is programmable, what make Poker DIY different?
In any case, a programmable poker, where you can rearrange the Fn layer would be SWEET.
I think the DIY part means you can assemble it yourself in the physical layout you want it in. Though I am not sure what physical layouts are available.

Agreed! You'd be doing the community a service.  :))
I'll ask my source to see if it is ok to talk about it yet.

Edit: ^ No can do right now. They're working out some channel issues. To be perfectly honest, the board is nothing special except for the pretty case.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 05:52:58 by laffindude »

Offline cobraj

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 00:12:54 »
Well, you can always bug beast to do a plate for Race.

Haha yeah.
But he said he needs a drawing in autocad, and I have 0 idea how to do that :(

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:06:29 »
No need for me to leak anything I guess ;)

Here are some more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jewu8210/sets/72157632574538186/with/8400932182/
Datasheets: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7TuRf3KQe7GNTE0RmQ2SDEzeEU/edit

The OP is 1 of 2 engineers that designed the board. He also helped designing the Poker and Pure, though he partnered with another ex Vortex engineer to start TEX.
Notice the nice CNC milled aluminum upper case. It is in brushed finish and anodized.

If you read the datasheet, don't get excited at the memory thing. It is just there to save the settings you customized (FN + QWERT).
Also, I believe the wider than needed space around the miniUSB is for 90° cable. I saw the cable hiding in a corner in another picture that isn't posted.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:52:50 by laffindude »

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:11:59 »
I guess the guy didn't think Vor was nice enough to partner with him... :))

It's a really nice keyboard, and uses MOSTLY normal layout, whereas the poker 2 has a short backspace and Del in place of \. Probably will be going more for the poker 2 though since I'm not much of a fan of the wide bezel (love the fact that it's aluminum though). Thanks for all these nice updates laffindude!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:19:10 by Sinzz »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 03:09:12 »
;) @ TEX. That was my first thought when I saw the name. The even more interesting part is look at TEX and look at Vortex's logo.

There are a few things I don't understand on the FN layout. Like why they put Home/End on IK and PgUp/Dn on OL instead fo UJ and IK respectively. Not understanding why ESC on the graves key. Mute is on Capslock instead of back slash right next to the Vol up/dn.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:42:22 »
Pretty sexy design, just not wild about the key size and layout on the right side, but that's a personal choice.

I'm loving my Pure and I think I've found the ideal layout for me. I just wish I could program it so I could make some small adjustments. Hopefully the GH 60 will allow me to do just that.

Thanks for posting all the information on the new keyboard laffindude!

Offline sordna

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 11:30:02 »
Argh, not a single photo on flicker shows the full layout! Ok, I looked at the docs on the datasheet link now.
Hey, it's very nice, for sure beats both the Poker and the Pure in layout IMO, I have the Poker and I have to resort to the Fn key way too often...
with the TEX I'll only have to do that for PgUp/PgDown, and the occasional home/end (which I don't use often).

EDIT: Attaching the US layout here for easy reference.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:13:06 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline OrpheusX

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:05:14 »
The aluminum case is nice but it's got the same dinky right shift key that is the one consistent sore spot on my Races. And the dedicated arrow keys would seem to make the left side Fn key mostly redundant.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
New 60% board... whatever it is called. +Rumors and speculations.
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:12:08 »
Re: TEX 60%

4.5-unit spacebar and 1x hell on the bottom row and right side? No thanks. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:16:21 »
Interesting that many people seem to dislike the small right-hand shift and modifiers-- do people actually use those? I hardly ever do, and could probably adjust to not having them at all very easily...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:56:43 »
The thing that bothers me the most is the stagger is non standard on the Z row. Everything is shifted .25 units to the left to allow the extra keys to fit.
I do quite like the TEX case though, it has sort of an oldschool flavor to it.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 22:02:16 »
In regards to the layout, I personally only dislike the front row. I don't mind the shifted shift row (hardy har har ;)), and the mini rShift. I thought I would mind it, but it was a non-issue for me when I had the Poker 2 in my hands. The biggest issue for me is that I cannot find the right side modifiers without looking. I would have much preferred 1.25 1.25 1.25 4.5 1.25 1.25 1.25 1 1 1. One less key on the front row will make it much less cluttered. I can kinda understand the logic behind their current layout, since they have the spacebar with FN on each side. But they didn't layout the function layer to take advantage of the 2 function keys. It is still concentrated on the right side.

The saving grace is the board is pretty much designed by the same people, so it should retain the same mounting location. I think I may pull some strings and see if I can get a discount and stuff a Pure inside that pretty case (or blasphemously stuff a Poker 2 in it ;)). Agreed @ lysol in regards to the old school look. Very retro-futuristic feel to it.

Offline Preach

• The Insane
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 22:49:20 »
I want this. Can't wait as I've been looking to get a poker
QFR - Browns |

Offline sordna

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 23:39:29 »
it was a non-issue for me when I had the Poker 2 in my hands.

Any pointers to the Poker 2 with photos & layout ?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 23:45:26 »

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:03:42 »
ONLY thing that I wish was different was the placement between the \ and the backspace. I dunno why I'm so fond of the crazy amount of 1x1 keys. Maybe because I plan to get blank keycaps and I would feel like an elitist because my friend's would be so lost when they try to use it.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:41:48 »
AFAIK the PCB supports 15 keys on both the shift row and the number row. Theoretically, they could do a 68 key layout. I can see the whining already. QQ... :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind it since I think I suggested such a travesty before.

/Trying to borrow a sample. Though, not sure when I'll be able to get it or post about it :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 02:18:53 by laffindude »

Offline OrpheusX

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 08:41:47 »
ONLY thing that I wish was different was the placement between the \ and the backspace.

Wow, how did I miss that? I guess they're trying to be a little HHK-like.

Offline exousia7

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:59:52 »
it's sooooo smallllllll :O

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:02:57 »
That's what she said.... badum tch
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:17:47 »
AFAIK the PCB supports 15 keys on both the shift row and the number row. Theoretically, they could do a 68 key layout. I can see the whining already. QQ... :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind it since I think I suggested such a travesty before.

/Trying to borrow a sample. Though, not sure when I'll be able to get it or post about it :)

I'd love to see a 68 key, but probably with an added column... like this Leopold 66 key, but with a PgUp and PgDown added above the arrow keys:

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:19:33 by sordna »