Author Topic: Computer problem - system builders input requested (problem found, /thread)  (Read 13029 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
As you may have read in the "what's bothering you" thread I'm having computer problems.

For whatever reason after reinstalling windows I installed chipset drivers and that killed the onboard graphics.  Not even the BIOS POST screen shows up  After many wasted hours and a new bios chip I'm back to this point so I'll skip the middle.

So I have one CPU (i7 5775c) and one motherboard (ASRock Z97m OC Formula) and, between them they refuse to show anything using the integrated graphics which I want to use.  I have no useful friends with a spare parts box - damn laptops!

Having done extensive testing I've come to the conclusion it's hardware damage so I have these options:

1 - take it as an omen to change my life, sell the CPU/mobo combo as 'working if you use a graphics card'
2 - buy a cheap CPU to test the motherboard.  Money down the drain whether it works or not as doesn't solve the problem
3 - buy a new decent motherboard. Expensive, won't fix the problem if it's the CPU
4 - buy a new cheap motherboard. No overclocking - what a waste!  Won't fix problem if CPU
5 - buy a used decent motherboard. Might die, won't fix problem if it's the CPU
4 - buy a used cheap motherboard. No overclocking - what a waste!  Might die, won't fix problem if CPU.  At least it's cheap...
5 - buy used mobo/4xxx CPU combo.  Can test everything and sell something on at a slight loss, but as I only have water cooling it's messy and will take hours.

Have I missed anything?  What would you do?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 10:34:16 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Computer problem - system builders input requested
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 06:34:25 »
Have you reset the cmos/bios?
It's very possible the board has defaulted to PCIE instead of auto or onboard graphics, so a card will let you check that. Look into buying the cheapest graphics card you can find, (craigslist?) could even buy one new, test then take it back or just keep using it.

Or, you could take it to a local computer shop and have them do it. Explain to them you just need to see if that is the problem. Tell them you had a card that failed and now you can't get onboard to work. A lot of shops will take pitty and pop in a spare card to check the setting. You may just want to drop by and ask if they have an old, cheap card they can sell you for cheap, they often do. DO NOT CALL, visit and talk to them you will get better results and a better price.

By the way, nice processor...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 06:37:08 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 06:49:46 »
Thanks Leslieann :)

I reset and played with bios options then flashed the latest beta bios which still didn't help, so trtied to flash back to stable but that failed so I bought a new chip which arrived this morning - that's the very short version of the middle I skipped in this thread as I'm back where I was before all that.

I think you've slightly misunderstood what happened - I installed windows using the onboard graphics, no problem.  Installed windows updates including many reboots, no problem.  Installed chipset drivers and rebooted yet again and nothing has shown through the onboard since on any output.  I have an old card to test so the problem is definitely the mobo and/or CPU.  It doesn't even boot without a graphics card - I set DVD boot first, remove graphics card, DVD doesn't spin.  No beeps, just doesn't do anything...

I thought about taking the CPU to a shop and hoping they have a Broadwell compatible board to test it in but as you probably know it was far from popular - plenty of 8x chipset boards still available, very few 9x.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:30:44 »
So I saw that you tested the RAM in another machine, and it's good...

All this was working until you installed new chipset drivers, right?

You did take this down to Mobo/CPU/RAM and connected a speaker to see if it POST at all?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:41:57 »
Yes, the RAMs good and I have an alternate set which does the same.  I bought a buzzer that didn't work but tp4 suggested an LED which flashed when the bios was 'corrupt', nothing otherwise.  The fans spin but that's the only sign of life - if I had to guess the bios is trying to initialise the damaged graphics which it can see but they don't respond so it just sits there.

I haven't disconnected everything because it works fine with a graphics card so should without! 
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 09:32:32 »

Yes, the RAMs good and I have an alternate set which does the same.  I bought a buzzer that didn't work but tp4 suggested an LED which flashed when the bios was 'corrupt', nothing otherwise.  The fans spin but that's the only sign of life - if I had to guess the bios is trying to initialise the damaged graphics which it can see but they don't respond so it just sits there.

I haven't disconnected everything because it works fine with a graphics card so should without!

Always disconnect everything but the minimum things you're troubleshooting. 

I would clear cmos and start with mobo, cpu and ram only see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 10:46:52 »
Right now, can you see the bios through the video card or the igpu. or can you see nothing at all.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:05:54 »
Graphics card in, iGPU disabled - boots as normal, you wouldn't know there's a problem
Graphics card in, iGPU set default in bios - completely dead
Graphics card in, iGPU forced on but PCI-E as default - completely dead
Graphics card out - completely dead

There is only one hard drive so the idea of 'stripling everything out' is funny, though usually I'd have said the same so I took it out.  No change.

The problem has to be the iGPU, but the Intel test thing won't run to confirm because it says it's disabled and enabling makes it not boot...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Tactile

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:12:07 »
If you have the means to burn a CD, DVD, or bootable flash drive, I'd boot into Knoppix, which includes quite a few tools which might help diagnosis.
REΛLFORCE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:16:20 »
That's more like it, a random suggestion :)

I have windows installed so can do pretty much anything, I could put in a Linux drive from another computer if that would help.  Interesting thought - I wonder if the iGPU shows up in lspci or similar?  Will have a look on the other box first...

Edit: it does. VGA compatible controller: Intel ...

Doesn't show up on the broken computer, assumedly because it's disabled.  I wonder if it can be forced on using grub
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:40:04 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:46:08 »
Graphics card in, iGPU disabled - boots as normal, you wouldn't know there's a problem
Graphics card in, iGPU set default in bios - completely dead
Graphics card in, iGPU forced on but PCI-E as default - completely dead
Graphics card out - completely dead

There is only one hard drive so the idea of 'stripling everything out' is funny, though usually I'd have said the same so I took it out.  No change.

The problem has to be the iGPU, but the Intel test thing won't run to confirm because it says it's disabled and enabling makes it not boot...

Did you try, reformatting the hdd.. so it's testing Fresh , w/o the igpu driver installed.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 12:26:54 »
It doesn't get past bios let alone loading windows drivers - no point going through all those updates again!

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:37:52 »
It doesn't get past bios let alone loading windows drivers - no point going through all those updates again!

I would try to install just windows first on a separate partition or a different drive,  if the igpu works through that, then it's the drive.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:44:46 »
You're not getting it - if I put the windows DVD in without the graphics card it won't boot to install it.  I could reinstall with the graphics card in, but as soon as I pull it out I'll be back where I am drivers or not.

Looking on eBay for badly listed 'faulty' combos...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:07:57 »
You're not getting it - if I put the windows DVD in without the graphics card it won't boot to install it.  I could reinstall with the graphics card in, but as soon as I pull it out I'll be back where I am drivers or not.

Looking on eBay for badly listed 'faulty' combos...

use windows usb drive tool,  then boot from usb drive , and install from that..

this overall dosen't sound like a hardware problem, because it's unlikely a part of your hardware broke, at the exact same time you installed a new piece of software

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 18:47:00 »
If you are not seeing bios, it will not matter what drive or OS you install, something has been damaged. Bios are what initialize and start the hardware to boot the os, that is it's purpose.

The question is if it's the cpu or board, I think a part swap is the only way to properly diagnose which it is, but I have a pretty good idea which is the problem.

My bet is that its the motherboard, while CPUS are not hard to damage, odds of destroying the graphics system in it is pretty slim. More importantly, you cannot write to the cpu, so unless it was completely burnt out I would imagine you would get some sort of gibberish and artifacts on the screen. The odds of burning out the GPU perfectly to the point that the board doesn't recognize that it's there at all is pretty slim, especially doing so without impacting the rest of the processor. Possible, yes, but the odds are up there, may as well buy a lottery ticket. Also, a processor that has a problem usually gets worse and worse over time. It's rarely a case of this part died and the rest keeps working fine.

So for me, it points to the motherboard. Something in the chipset is damaged and it's simply not detecting the onboard graphics in the processor which is why it will not boot. The system thinks you have no video system installed. If you use a speaker you should get a beep code telling you no graphics card detected, just as you do for not installing memory.

Also you cannot use Grub to enable onboard graphics, there maaay be an EFI call for it, but it's unlikely. Most bios have an IGPU, PCIE and auto, if you set the bios to auto the system uses both but sends the initial signal to pcie. This will allow you to detect it in an OS.  Nothing is going to detect it in an OS if  it's set to pcie in the bios because the board should disable it (not all do, but most do).

By the way, the solution I posted made sense based on what you wrote.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:14:23 »
If you are not seeing bios, it will not matter what drive or OS you install, something has been damaged. Bios are what initialize and start the hardware to boot the os, that is it's purpose.
Exactly!  Thanks for confirming I've not forgotten everything (I was beginning to wonder)

The question is if it's the cpu or board, I think a part swap is the only way to properly diagnose which it is, but I have a pretty good idea which is the problem
for me, it points to the motherboard
If you use a speaker you should get a beep code telling you no graphics card detected, just as you do for not installing memory.
I have an LED as a 'speaker', but it doesn't flash when playing dead, it did flash codes at random when the bios was 'corrupt' so it does work.  I guess if the motherboard knew the iGPU was dead that would push the error back into the CPU but as the options still show in bios the board probably thinks it's there and working.

Also you cannot use Grub to enable onboard graphics, there maaay be an EFI call for it, but it's unlikely. Most bios have an IGPU, PCIE and auto, if you set the bios to auto the system uses both but sends the initial signal to pcie. This will allow you to detect it in an OS.  Nothing is going to detect it in an OS if  it's set to pcie in the bios because the board should disable it (not all do, but most do).
I know Linux can bypass some things, I had a 200gb drive shared on a pentium 1 at uni by disabling it in bios.  Sadly you're right again though, this doesn't seem to be one of them.

By the way, the solution I posted made sense based on what you wrote.
I'm sure it did and I appreciated the reply but now you have the whole story you agree - something died very suddenly, which is strange.  Hence the options in the OP.

I guess I'll have to buy yet another motherboard if I want to use the onboard graphics (the first board was frustrating so I landed up mashing lots of pins in the socket now this with the second - I have no faith the next one will work well) or a half decent graphics card and stick with a partially broken board that will probably get worse.

Or sell this crap and wait for a fixed CPU hopefully sometime this year, but not sure I'd wish this CPU on anyone let alone making them pay for it!

I want my 2600k build back :'( (retired late 2016 due to - motherboard failure)
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:18:47 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline atarione

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:13:50 »
If it was me... I'd take the motherboard out of the case I'd reseat the cpu / cooler / ram .. I'd pull the cmos battery short the contacts with a flat screw driver replace battery (cmos)

I'd then put motherboard on the box it came in (or another box) and hook up ONLY:: PSU and keyboard and monitor and see if it outputs via the onboard video at that point?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:33:21 »
As leslieann said, i'd point at the motherboard. It's clear that this is a bios/chipset issue if you cant get through POST

Try one more time to flash the bios, and if youre desperate reseat your cpu?

I'd also try removingall but the necessary parts in your system to check if you're having some sort of POST conflict

Also you might be missing the igpu drivers which might be causing the issue, try reinstalling them

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 03:10:51 »
If it was me... I'd take the motherboard out of the case I'd reseat the cpu / cooler / ram .. I'd pull the cmos battery short the contacts with a flat screw driver replace battery (cmos)

I'd then put motherboard on the box it came in (or another box) and hook up ONLY:: PSU and keyboard and monitor and see if it outputs via the onboard video at that point?
So to understand your thinking, something on the back of the CPU socket moved and shorted out pins specific to the iGPU in the ~10mins between it booting using the iGPU with no driver and rebooting once the drivers had installed?

I guess it's possible, and probably not much less likely than an inactive driver (doesn't load until it's rebooted) frying something on the board...

Unfortunately my water cooling includes a back mounted radiator so I can just about unscrew the board but it's not leaving the case unless I drain the loop or remove the water block, either way I can't power it on...

As leslieann said, i'd point at the motherboard. It's clear that this is a bios/chipset issue if you cant get through POST
I would agree but as the GPU is now in the CPU rather than the chipset I'm worried that's where the damage is.  I'm looking at nearly $200 for a decent motherboard or $150 for a used one, and either way I land up with a 3 year old system that's a PITA.  Or forget overclocking and spend $100 on a motherboard with pathetic heatsinks (designed for stock cooler airflow which I don't have) and have a computer that's slower than a 4 year old build.  Or buy a GPU I don't want and tolerate more noise, or spend more on more radiators plus a bigger case to put them in...

I don't want to spend anything, I didn't even want to buy this build in the first place let alone buying three motherboards for it!

This feels like it should be back in 'what's bothering you' as it clearly is, if you hadn't noticed :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 04:41:29 »
I would agree but as the GPU is now in the CPU rather than the chipset I'm worried that's where the damage is.

Yes, the physical GPU itself is on the cpu, but a lot of components including detection is controlled by bios and chipset.

Just because the bios has the option means little, remember some Intel cpus have them, and some do not. I doubt the bios is smart enough to display the option only when available.  Bios will still show system fan options when only a CPU fan is installed, some will even show hdd detection for ports without drives installed. I think you are giving the bios more credit here than it deserves.

While checking pins is a hassle, it's not a bad idea. Normally, I would agree it is unlikely, except that you have a water cooler, in which case,  there is a small chance something leaked either onto the board, into the socket or behind the board and shorted something. It may be a small chance, but I've seen stranger things happen.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Computer problem - system builders input requested (frustrated ranting stage)
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 05:22:47 »
Thanks again Leslieann - you make another good point as there are only a couple of compatible Xeons which don't have a GPU making it a choice someone made, why would they bother to hide the option.

I guess I should stump up for another SOC FORCE and attempt to rekindle the limited enthusiasm I had for an orange build.  Having mashed pins on my first one attempting a vertical CPU installation I've been incredibly careful with this board and the pins are perfect (checked since the problem) and nothing's got wet - I've done that before too, cost me a motherboard and a rather nice geforce 6600 with the chip on the top (still find it amusing the marketing pic is of the wrong side :)))

I'm going to take the CPU for a walk around town tomorrow, there are a few independant shops so hopefully one of them is friendly and has a compatible motherboard to test it on.  Assuming they aren't deterred by the superglue fume residue from relidding...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Computer problem - system builders input requested (frustrated ranting stage)
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:28:41 »
Thanks again Leslieann - you make another good point as there are only a couple of compatible Xeons which don't have a GPU making it a choice someone made, why would they bother to hide the option.

I guess I should stump up for another SOC FORCE and attempt to rekindle the limited enthusiasm I had for an orange build.  Having mashed pins on my first one attempting a vertical CPU installation I've been incredibly careful with this board and the pins are perfect (checked since the problem) and nothing's got wet - I've done that before too, cost me a motherboard and a rather nice geforce 6600 with the chip on the top (still find it amusing the marketing pic is of the wrong side :)))

I'm going to take the CPU for a walk around town tomorrow, there are a few independant shops so hopefully one of them is friendly and has a compatible motherboard to test it on.  Assuming they aren't deterred by the superglue fume residue from relidding...

No, that's the right side.

-For the novices-

The reason they did that is because vapor chambers/piping works better when the fins are facing up above the chip, whereby the condensate direction is aided by gravity.

Lianli cases had alot of cases reversing the motherboard for the same reason.

That 6600top has the chip and cooler on the other side.

I was debating getting that back in the day, but went with a 6600gt instead.. it's much much faster than 6600

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:37:11 »
Yup it was a good card, sat millimeters from the bottom of an original Scythe ninja so ran very cool.  I still say the huge gold heatsink would have made a much better pic than the clear acrylic backplate though!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:42:21 »
Crossing fingers for AMD getting them ghz into the 4.5 range which is a stretch,   but they're going to need 4.6 soonish, because intel will roll in with hidden sauce..

Offline atarione

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 14:31:58 »
do you have the stock cooler still??

a cheap but workable air cooler would be handy to have about for trouble shooting..

this is part of why I am rocking a cyorig H5 on my pc and a hyper 212 on my wife's sooo much easier to deal with hardware changes / troubleshooting vs water..

from the sounds of it you can get the CPU out without draining the loop so maybe try that reseat cpu  and RAM and pull cmos battery (/ short contacts) replace battery

and see how that leaves things.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:40:02 »
Crossing fingers for AMD getting them ghz into the 4.5 range which is a stretch,   but they're going to need 4.6 soonish, because intel will roll in with hidden sauce..
Intel already blew their load for 2018 .

I'm not convinced Intel has anything earthshaking in the pipe, it will be better than current, and hopefully a bit more organized, but it's not going to be a major jump like C2d or the Core I series.  Expect more cores, bit of a speed bump, nothing more.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 06:47:15 »
do you have the stock cooler still??

a cheap but workable air cooler would be handy to have about for trouble shooting..

this is part of why I am rocking a cyorig H5 on my pc and a hyper 212 on my wife's sooo much easier to deal with hardware changes / troubleshooting vs water..

from the sounds of it you can get the CPU out without draining the loop so maybe try that reseat cpu  and RAM and pull cmos battery (/ short contacts) replace battery

and see how that leaves things.
Yes, I have a CPU cooler but no thermal pad for the mobo heatsink.  Also to get the mobo out I'd have to pull the waterblocks around and it may well leak so I'd have to drain it.  My tweaking days are past and I just want a nice quiet iGPU build so may as well re-use my old cooling (six years no change), which is integrated to the case (nearly 12 years old, nodded over time!)

Took the CPU for a walk and found no-one willing to test it so came home and checked the socket again, looks good so reset bios and - still no iGPU.  I'm putting this aside until I'm in a spendy mood, unless an irresistible bargain appears.

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Guess what the postman just dropped off - a tiny saviour (I hope!)  This will look rediculous in my big case, assuming it works...

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
It's crazy to think you can build a decent gaming machine that can just about fit inside a box not much larger than a power supply isn't it?

I went MATX years ago and am now switching to mini-ITX for everything. I just wish case companies would figure it out, case selection for them is still not good.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Yeah, I knew it would be small but it really is a joke just how small it is.

It's going in an ancient Antec P180, was going to upgrade my case but budget has been spent on the mobo instead :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Put the CPU in the new board - bootlooped about 5 times but finally displayed the POST screen :D

Now, do I risk damaging the pins and putting it back in the old board to see if it was a microcode isssue that's now fixed so I can sell that board as fully working or do I stop while I'm ahead...  That's a question for after lunch I think.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Eaten, came back and switched it on no problem.  Went in BIOS and enabled XMP, reboot and - all too familiar black screen.

Clear BIOS, still black.  Swap RAM, still black.  Add a graphics card - all good!  Except when I move the mouse in BIOS there is a definite squeak coming from the card...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Is ur house's earth ground set up right ? Maybe the last setup caught a surge.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
But what happened?  If the iGPU is fried it couldn't have worked twice in the new motherboard and if there was dodgy microcode loaded on the CPU by the old board/windows update it must have been replaced to work on the new board.

But if the detection circuit on the old motherboard is fried the iGPU should work properly with the new motherboard.

House wiring is not that old, I've flipped the fuses many times being stupid and that didn't happen.  Plus the PSU is a new Seasonic and it happily powered the CPU overclocked running prime95 for a couple of hours (with a graphics card) so doesn't seem that is damaged either...

So some kind of a power surge that managed to skip the PSU and mobo to only damage a small part of the iGPU?  Generally I like computers because they make sense, but this?  >:D
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Tried a second PSU, no different.

Added the LED 'speaker' and just like the other board - nothing.

I think it's time to ask Intel!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
It's the XMP then..

The IGPU uses the Ram..

And many times, with XMP, the iGPU goes, WTF IS THIS.. then proceeds to p00p-itself.

Set the main timings manually, then command rate 2T,  Try to boot that.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
But it's the same RAM that worked fine on XMP settings on the old board before it didn't work and if it were just that a BIOS reset would be enough on the new board.  Hell, the new board even has a 'reset and make my RAM work' button.

Just like on the old board setting primary graphics as PCIE with multi monitor enabled so iGPU works too results in it not booting.  I've contact the seller of the new board to see what they did that made it work once, hopefully they are somewhat techy to have bought an ITX board...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
So, if you turn off XMP, does the iGPU work again?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
No, it's just like the last board - any attempt to use the iGPU results in it failing to even start BIOS POST (no beeps to say it fails) and no amount of BIOS reset or reseating the CPU brings it back

Given that the CPU is the only constant I probably have two perfectly working motherboards but the CPU has had new microcode released and then recalled through Windows updates as well as running under a new beta BIOS briefly, so I don't think it knows how to work it's iGPU.  Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever heard of a microcode updare getting pulled, and as hardly anyone has this CPU (and if they do they stopped tweaking it years ago) it's not going to affect many people.  I am just that unlucky!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Can you use an external GPU to adjust the BIOS voltage settings?

How about trying these (worth a shot maybe?):

switch back to default memory settings 2133Mhz
SA Voltage = 1.05v
IO Voltage = 0.95v

in memoriam

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Memory isn't rated that fast in the first place, I'll give the voltages a shot but don't hold much hope when it won't POST after a BIOS reset.

Heard back from the previous owner, the board was running two monitors off the onboard alongside a graphics card for gaming without issue using a 4770 so it's definitely my CPU that's this problem.  Do I buy another to sell on with my second board?!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Memory isn't rated that fast in the first place, I'll give the voltages a shot but don't hold much hope when it won't POST after a BIOS reset.

Heard back from the previous owner, the board was running two monitors off the onboard alongside a graphics card for gaming without issue using a 4770 so it's definitely my CPU that's this problem.  Do I buy another to sell on with my second board?!

Just use the thing with a graphics card, sheesh, hahahaha

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I think it's the voltages being changed by XMP that are messing with the iGPU. It sounds like the update stopped the iGPU from working with higher voltages. So now, when you enable XMP, it changes the voltage settings and stops iGPU from working.

But that's just my theory.

in memoriam

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Theories are good, I will give it a try when I get home.

As to using the graphics card it's a radeon 6450 - it wasn't quick many years ago when it was bought, today it's utterly useless!  I could buy a half decent card but the whole point of this CPU is the graphics so I want to use them.  Plus only one hotspot to cool, adding a card means buying a water block or having another fan...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I think it's the voltages being changed by XMP that are messing with the iGPU. It sounds like the update stopped the iGPU from working with higher voltages. So now, when you enable XMP, it changes the voltage settings and stops iGPU from working.

But that's just my theory.

was the microcode updated through linux ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
No, I've not got as far as Linux as it's easier to install windows first then it auto adds to the bootloader when you install Linux.  Installing windows second it forgets Linux.

All voltages are helpfully only adjustable by offsets and it doesn't say what the current values are.  Guess I could go back to the old board as it's doing the same?  That had a choice.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
All voltages are helpfully only adjustable by offsets and it doesn't say what the current values are.  Guess I could go back to the old board as it's doing the same?  That had a choice.

Oh wow. Such helpful. Much multiplier.

Yeah, maybe try it on the old mobo just to see if that is the issue?

in memoriam

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Old mobo allows -1 to 1 set SA to max and digital and analog IO to 0.95

Enable multi monitor (so iGPU is used as well) and - no boot.

I wonder if crazy auto overclock profiles will make it work...

Edit: Unsurprisingly they do not.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2018, 15:38:18 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Microcode is not permanent, it is only temporary, unless something has changed, you cannot write to the CPU firmware.

Also, I'm still not entirely convinced it's the processor, you haven't mentioned it, but I would suspect your ram may be a problem. As Tp said, it does influence the IGPU.
Have you tested the memory?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More