Author Topic: [GB] SA Symbiosis R2 - Finished  (Read 257079 times)

Offline bcbishop

Oh realllllly.... Interest piqued. Waitlist joined.

Offline hhkbp2

Kono store updated with this yesterday. Not sure if this was previously posted.

For information about a new keyboard design to pair this keycap set - join the waitlist here - https://kono.store/products/input-club-symbolic-keyboard

Show Image

Em, The legends are smaller than I expected. Will try to enlarge them later. Thanks for the post.

Add:

It's good to know the legend samples were out so soon. I double checked my artwork source file with these samples, and did a comparison:

These legends on latest samples are smaller. I need to talk to Kono and SP, to figure out what's wrong. I will make sure the production goes out well enough (to fulfill my expectation). Will keep updating. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2019, 16:03:25 by hhkbp2 »

Offline buzzking00

Is GB and Pre-Order price different or same?

Offline r4wromg

Was a little worried when I saw those samples, but glad to know that you'll be checking in with them. Hoping for some good news soon

Offline hhkbp2

Is GB and Pre-Order price different or same?

I didn't trace the change of price along GB/Pre-order, but the price of Pre-order should be slightly higher than GB.

Offline bardomudo

Was a little worried when I saw those samples, but glad to know that you'll be checking in with them. Hoping for some good news soon

Same here. The smaller legends are significant enough to get me a bit worried. Do hope this gets sorted out as I have joined the GB for different 8 kits.

Offline dsaf

For information about a new keyboard design to pair this keycap set - join the waitlist here - https://kono.store/products/input-club-symbolic-keyboard

Show Image

Thumb-up looks different than finger-pointing-left. Larger and the line is thicker. Hopefully consistency will be ensured? Maybe that's just me though...
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2019, 15:52:50 by dsaf »

Offline hhkbp2

Thumb-up looks different than finger-pointing-left. Larger and the line is thicker. Hopefully consistency will be ensured? Maybe that's just me though...

They are indeed different images. Thumb-up is the same width with Point-left, but taller in height. And the line weight is almost the same. Not mathematically the same because Thumb-up has more curves and the line weight of these curves vary a bit, for aesthetics.

Offline crykn

Show Image

Em, The legends are smaller than I expected. Will try to enlarge them later. Thanks for the post.

Add:

It's good to know the legend samples were out so soon. I double checked my artwork source file with these samples, and did a comparison:

Show Image

These legends on latest samples are smaller. I need to talk to Kono and SP, to figure out what's wrong. I will make sure the production goes out well enough (to fulfill my expectation). Will keep updating. Thanks.

Does the box around the artwork on the right correspond to the surface area of the keycap, or is it the max size of the legends, which would be slightly smaller than the surface area? Based on how the samples turned out, I would guess the latter.

Offline Thereminz

Show Image

Add:

Show Image

yeah that was my first thought when i saw the samples, "wow it's too small" ...hope you can get it looking perfect :)

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
Hi!

I'm currently building the keyboard case to hold these keycaps, and I'm wondering what the hue/color specification is for the gray keyes?

Offline hhkbp2

Hi!

I'm currently building the keyboard case to hold these keycaps, and I'm wondering what the hue/color specification is for the gray keyes?

It's the SP ABS color GD.

Offline impaktor

Thanks!

For reference to myself, or any other: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_ABS_colours

Offline hhkbp2

yeah that was my first thought when i saw the samples, "wow it's too small" ...hope you can get it looking perfect :)

I'm trying to communicate with Kono and SP to figure out what's wrong. I think that I, Kono and SP together could pull it off in the end. It's not rocket science. But (taking a big step back) if the legends don't look good (to me) after all the effort, for the record I would cancel the GB if I have to. (Some buyers and Kono, SP would hate this). And you should be able to get your money back then.

Offline bcbishop

But (taking a big step back) if the legends don't look good (to me) after all the effort, for the record I would cancel the GB if I have to. (Some buyers and Kono, SP would hate this). And you should be able to get your money back then.

Thank you for saying this, hhkbp2. Your ethical dedication to getting the set right, no matter what, is one of the reasons why I’m so happy to support you and this GB.  Do it right, or don’t do it at all. 

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio

I'm trying to communicate with Kono and SP to figure out what's wrong. I think that I, Kono and SP together could pull it off in the end. It's not rocket science. But (taking a big step back) if the legends don't look good (to me) after all the effort, for the record I would cancel the GB if I have to. (Some buyers and Kono, SP would hate this). And you should be able to get your money back then.

Man I hope it'll never come to that. The set is one of my most favourite and I went in pretty deep with the pre-order  :(
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Ensaum

Man I hope it'll never come to that. The set is one of my most favourite and I went in pretty deep with the pre-order  :(

For real. I've already bought a board and I sold gmk space cadet for this.

Offline fireworm

Do they not have the original molds?  I thought R2 meant everything would be squared away... (Or they have 7Bit's Space Cadet molds too?)

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio

Do they not have the original molds?  I thought R2 meant everything would be squared away... (Or they have 7Bit's Space Cadet molds too?)
From the look of things, it may be more complicated than that, although according to info from the IC thread, SP confirmed there should be no problems. It was also mentioned in the IC thread that 7Bit never replied to OP’s request for permission to use the Cadet mold. 
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline hhkbp2

We have the right to use Symbiosis R1 tooling. But the R1 legends don't look good enough so we will make new ones. As for 7bit's mold, I had no luck to get his permission to use that so it's not possible.

Offline EightDiagram

We have the right to use Symbiosis R1 tooling. But the R1 legends don't look good enough so we will make new ones. As for 7bit's mold, I had no luck to get his permission to use that so it's not possible.

Any word on if they can improve the new legends to the correct size? 

Offline hhkbp2

Still working on it. I will post if there is any update.  ;)

Offline EightDiagram

Ty sir! :thumb:

Offline Nigolski

hope everything works out ok  :-X

Offline bardomudo

Hope you, Kono and SP can find a way to fix this. It would seem to be a straight-forward enough problem to solve.

Either way, I'm building a whole very expensive build around this GB, so please for the love of god don't cancel it. I don't mind waiting longer if necessary for the legends to be right, but please don't cancel  :(

Offline EightDiagram

But (taking a big step back) if the legends don't look good (to me) after all the effort, for the record I would cancel the GB if I have to. (Some buyers and Kono, SP would hate this). And you should be able to get your money back then.

Appreciate the candidness of this statement and its motivation, but damn if it didn't shake me.  Using 7bit's set as a reference (considering legend size only), it seems reasonable to assume that SP is capable of delivering.

Offline codywanks

Does SA Symbiosis R1 exist? If so, are its legends correct?

Apologies for the ignorant question, I haven't really been keeping up with the hobby

Offline enrique.aliaga

Apologies for the ignorant question, I haven't really been keeping up with the hobby

Of course it exists. SA Symbiosis R1 was all Row 3, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline codywanks

Of course it exists. SA Symbiosis R1 was all Row 3, though.

You didn't answer the second part of my question

Offline Hotsauce

This is what the R1 legends look like... (Stolen from reddit)

Offline long_qt_pie

Is that from SP?  I know it’s not R5/6 but the legends look like Maxkey almost
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Hotsauce

It's not a sculpted set, it's all R3.

Offline Nigolski

It's not a sculpted set, it's all R3.

kek

Offline Hotsauce

Maxkey’s tooling does not produce a glossy finish. It was produced by SP.

Offline mrfe333

Any update on what keys we need to get for the hypothetical Input Club Symbolics keyboard? seems like getting a layout similar to the original symbolics keyboard would require a combination of the different modifier sets currently available

Offline menuhin

Any update on what keys we need to get for the hypothetical Input Club Symbolics keyboard? seems like getting a layout similar to the original symbolics keyboard would require a combination of the different modifier sets currently available

Why you want an "update" from OP for a product unrelated to this run?

You can see from the photos of Kono Store that the original Symbolics Keyboards have a 9u space bar and many 2u keycaps on various rows - which are all lacking in this run.
My suggestion is to pray that their project at preliminary stage will succeed eventually and also will come with their own keycaps.

Otherwise, your best bet is to get some of the leftover of Round4/5/6 by 7Bit over at DT, or join his future Rounds, i.e. Round 7 b and later. Where he may make these "Hyper7 kits".
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline mrfe333

Why you want an "update" from OP for a product unrelated to this run?

It is not unrelated at all (not to IC at least). Just look at the page for this GB:

https://kono.store/products/sa-symbiosis-keycaps

One of the first things that you read is:

"To follow along with a keyboard re-creation process paired with this project - check out the Input Club Symbolic Keyboard Waitlist."

So from this they are literally saying that the keyboard is paired with the Symbiosis R2 project. So, at least to IC, they're very related. Unless there is a lack of communication and hhkbp2 was not notified about this (which I doubt), then it is totally valid and on-topic to ask about the Input Club Symbolic Keyboard here.

Offline Locnguyen1507

Could anyone let me know why the CADR All Uniform R3 has been removed again :( Im intend to get this kit...

Offline hhkbp2

Could anyone let me know why the CADR All Uniform R3 has been removed again :( Im intend to get this kit...

I'm not sure whether it's sold out. You could contact Kono support and ask for that.

Offline hhkbp2

It's in early phase for the symbolics keyboard project. It's still uncertain about its feasibility and more details like color theme, shape/layout, etc. It will provide options for suitable keycaps as well if the project comes true later. You don't need to plan it ahead, worrying about the keycap sets combination.  ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2019, 14:54:51 by hhkbp2 »

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
Hi hhkbp2, thank you for following up the samples. I really appreciate your attitude when the samples don’t go well.

I’ve ordered 7 kits (gb +preorder) in total and this is by far the most I have spent on keycaps.

I really hope the GB will not be canceled and at the end of the day, everyone will receive what they have been waiting for.

Offline impaktor

7 sets? I believe that warrants you a medal!

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
7 sets? I believe that warrants you a medal!
They’re 7 different kits, not sets, so I can have two boards with them being on. Also, to SP SA lately, it’s unlikely one can order 1 or 2 kits for a full board.

Offline hhkbp2

Hi hhkbp2, thank you for following up the samples. I really appreciate your attitude when the samples don’t go well.

I’ve ordered 7 kits (gb +preorder) in total and this is by far the most I have spent on keycaps.

I really hope the GB will not be canceled and at the end of the day, everyone will receive what they have been waiting for.

Hi, Thanks for your support! We're trying to schedule a new run of samples. It's not rocket science and I think SP is able to deliver in the end. I hear your guys and it's fair enough for the discussion about cancelation for now.

Offline ctrlshiftba

• ctrlshiftba
I went ahead and place an order anyways. Hopefully this gets sorted ok. Thanks for your diligence hhkbp2

Offline hhkbp2

Update:

About the previous samples with small legends, I and Kono checked with SP that it's misunderstanding/mistake and they didn't used the artworks in the size as specified and expected. SP will make a new run of samples to have bigger legends. They didn't have estimated date for this new run now but I guess it will not be long since there only a few keys for the samples. I will let you guys know if there is any further progress.

PS:

It's no strongly related to this GB. But I don't know any better place to shout out for help.

I'm working on some project that's inspired by the Symbolics PN 364000 keyboard. And I need some help. If you do have the keyboard and would like to give some help, or you know any of your friend do, please message me in private. Thanks!

Offline mimalik

Damn...whenever this goes live, I am def in.

Offline Starius

PS:

It's no strongly related to this GB. But I don't know any better place to shout out for help.

I'm working on some project that's inspired by the Symbolics PN 364000 keyboard. And I need some help. If you do have the keyboard and would like to give some help, or you know any of your friend do, please message me in private. Thanks!

I can’t offer you help, but I can offer you heartfelt encouragement!

Offline gbchk

You may want to hit up deskthority, they're more likely to offer help for something like that.

Offline mircodezorzi

apparently the ergodox and colevark kits sold out in on kono, is there any way to still buy them? this is probably one of my favorite sets but I might have waited too much to buy it...