Author Topic: {GB} Gateron PBT Blank Keysets CLOSED [EXTRAS SOLD OUT]  (Read 266595 times)

Offline nyunyu

Re: {GB} Gateron PBT Blank Keysets CLOSED [EXTRAS AVAIL $35/set]
« Reply #750 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 10:05:42 »
Any news about ISO addons?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #751 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:46:02 »
Got mine today and ended up dying the mods purple, strangely enough I ended up with an additional R2 key rather than missing one  :p

(Attachment Link)

Dang! I know what I'm doing with one of my sets now!

Thanks for sharing :)

+1 - never considered buying blank PBT's and dye-ing them before, but now it seems like such an obvious things to do, I love having unique colors on my keyboard, might dye some orange*

Wish I considered this before, I would have made different buying decisions

Any news on the missing keys?

Will be arriving within a week or so I think. I will probably delay shipping a little...gonna have my college interviews and test soon :(

Thanks for the update and best of luck for your coming interviews and tests!

Sigh. I think it's gonna be tough. US uni applications need to write so many essays and mini-statements.....

I don't regret many things in life but I regret applying to US colleges, instead of half-assing it, you have to tenfold-ass it, even if you do, scholarship applications etc. would be a major headache

I completed several applications/essays in a day and mailed them on the deadline (so it was deadline + shipping = late)

On the bright side, after that nightmarish experience, I ended up being a bit better organised
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline vercadium

« Reply #752 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:18:59 »
Guess I'm late to the party, but I only just spotted this yesterday! Completed the form last night for 3 sets of 'extras' - 2 White (plan on dying 1 set blue) and 1 Dark Gray. I'm an ISO user with a penchant for Cherry Stabilisers so I have some hassle to endure:

• I guess I'm going to have to Dremel the spacebar to make it fit?
  • I read the entire thread and from what I can gather - because I'm buying multiple blank sets - I'm only going to have to acquire the Left Shift and Enter key elsewhere?
  • On a related note, any update on ISO kits? I noticed this link had been posted which looks promising. They seem to have a good variety of colours and both BA and ISO/JIS Enter caps.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:52:39 by vercadium »

Offline hoz

• 60% is more than enough.
« Reply #753 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:40:11 »
Guess I'm late to the party, but I only just spotted this yesterday! Completed the form last night for 3 sets of 'extras' - 2 White (plan on dying 1 set blue) and 1 Dark Gray. I'm an ISO user with a penchant for Cherry Stabilisers so I have some hassle to endure:

• I read the entire thread and from what I can gather - because I'm buying multiple blank sets - I'm only going to have to acquire the Left Shift and Enter key elsewhere?
  • On a related note, any update on ISO kits? I noticed this link had been posted which looks promising. They seem to have a good variety of colours and both BA and ISO/JIS Enter caps.

Thanks!

that depends on where the stabs are placed on the board they'll be on.
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline nephiel

« Reply #754 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 16:12:03 »
The ISO left shift is a 1.25u mod, same profile as the spacebar row. IIRC there are only 7 of them included in these sets, so if your layout uses all 7 for the bottom row, you'll need one extra. The same goes for the 1u key in the home row just to the left of the ISO Enter.

As for the key to the right of the left shift, it's a bottom row 1u, and the set includes spares of those.

edit: and you also need one ISO enter, of course
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline vercadium

« Reply #755 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:47:42 »
The ISO left shift is a 1.25u mod, same profile as the spacebar row. IIRC there are only 7 of them included in these sets, so if your layout uses all 7 for the bottom row, you'll need one extra. The same goes for the 1u key in the home row just to the left of the ISO Enter.

As for the key to the right of the left shift, it's a bottom row 1u, and the set includes spares of those.

edit: and you also need one ISO enter, of course

Thank you for your excellent and concise summary. It would seem I'll only be missing an ISO Enter then. I can harvest (and possibly dye?) one from a Cherry G81-3000 until I can acquire a matching keycap.

I actually found a site that allows you to buy items from the previously mentioned Taobao link in English. Sadly, they don't accept Paypal and I don't trust the site with any other details.

Offline 3v0

« Reply #756 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 16:08:14 »
Hey Shadovved, I was just wondering, will you PM the tracking numbers through here or reddit?
I think I put my reddit username in the form, cannot recall right now. Anyhow, don't mean to be annoying, It's my first GB over here and I can't wait to dress my v60 with those caps!  :thumb:
v60 mini MX Clear - Vortex CNC case

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #757 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 17:47:59 »
Hey Shadovved, I was just wondering, will you PM the tracking numbers through here or reddit?
I think I put my reddit username in the form, cannot recall right now. Anyhow, don't mean to be annoying, It's my first GB over here and I can't wait to dress my v60 with those caps!  :thumb:

It'll be sent to your PayPal email

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #758 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 09:30:55 »

Thanks!

It's the costar stabs which make it hard to fit, you'll be fine with cherry stabs.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline D3avy

« Reply #759 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 17:14:34 »
Received my set today.

Really happy with it except one problem and that is the 7u spacebar which I really need for my layout.
It's slightly warped in a weird way and makes it like a milimeter shorter which creates the problem with it not being able to fit on the stabilizer.
I mean it barely fits if I push it a bit but then the spacebar isn't usable because it gets stuck every time due to tight fit.

I've tried my other 7u spacebar and it fits without problems, and comparing the two I saw my Gateron spacebar is not as straight as it should be.

What do?  :(

Offline Draxor

• Generic Idiot
« Reply #760 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 17:35:42 »
I've read about people using blowdryers or boiling to bend them back before - however YMMV

Quote from: limmy;534748
Large PBT keys not being straight seems to be pretty common. One of PBT shift keys ordered from Signature plastic had similar problem. However, this problem is easily fixable by using a hair dryer.

1. You put the spacebar on a flat surface.
2. Heat the spacebar with a hair dryer. Be careful not to over heat it. Heat it just enough so that you can straighten the spacebar by pressing down on both sides. The post where I saw this tip said 5 to 20 seconds will be enough although it depends on power of your hair dryer.
3. Now hold the spacebar down until it cools down.

I saw this tip here. http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3511823

Offline just66in

« Reply #761 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 19:41:33 »
I've read about people using blowdryers or boiling to bend them back before - however YMMV

Large PBT keys not being straight seems to be pretty common. One of PBT shift keys ordered from Signature plastic had similar problem. However, this problem is easily fixable by using a hair dryer.

2. Heat the spacebar with a hair dryer. Be careful not to over heat it. Heat it just enough so that you can straighten the spacebar by pressing down on both sides. The post where I saw this tip said 5 to 20 seconds will be enough although it depends on power of your hair dryer.

Thanks. I tried the "boiling" method however my spacebar is still warped even after putting it under the base of my monitor for a week and have resulted to using the set w my own spacebar. Guess will try if this works.

Offline D3avy

« Reply #762 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 07:01:39 »

Thanks but I tried it before I posted here.

I straighten it out a bit.
Now when I put it on the surface it's almost perfectly flat, actually more flat than my other 7u spacebar that works without problems.

But here lies the problem. When I put two spacebars next to one another, Gateron is 1mm shorter and because of that, those things where stems go are misaligned and it still gets stuck.

From what I've read, it's a common problem for PBT spacebars to have issues, especially the bigger ones like 7u.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #763 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 07:11:34 »

Now when I put it on the surface it's almost perfectly flat, actually more flat than my other 7u spacebar that works without problems.

But here lies the problem. When I put two spacebars next to one another, Gateron is 1mm shorter and because of that, those things where stems go are misaligned and it still gets stuck.

From what I've read, it's a common problem for PBT spacebars to have issues, especially the bigger ones like 7u.

This is a cherry stab right? A lot of people are cherry stab fans, yet they are really hard to get right, and impossible to fix superficially, while with costar stabs, you have numerous options, like bending the wire to compensate etc. - generally people seem to use things at the stiff form where you refuse to use, and you should refuse

Other than these, Is the other spacebar an OEM profile one, OEM profile is higher

Stiffness will go away in time, the plastic inserts deform, stiffness will turn into looseness in some time, but during this, your spacebar switch may degrade too

My ultimate advice would be to switch to costar, but you will have ot do things like these: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73871.0

In any case, stabilisers are hard to get right, if you care, you have a long bumpy road ahead, the simplest thing for you to do would be to use another spacebar that works
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #764 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 08:18:16 »
I have one bag of 200+ 1x keys in beige. I'm guessing the profile is mixed, if not all of Fn row.

Anyone wants to take it off me? Should be good for a dye-job or molding.

$35 shipped.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #765 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 09:42:47 »

This is a cherry stab right? A lot of people are cherry stab fans, yet they are really hard to get right, and impossible to fix superficially, while with costar stabs, you have numerous options, like bending the wire to compensate etc. - generally people seem to use things at the stiff form where you refuse to use, and you should refuse

Other than these, Is the other spacebar an OEM profile one, OEM profile is higher

Stiffness will go away in time, the plastic inserts deform, stiffness will turn into looseness in some time, but during this, your spacebar switch may degrade too

My ultimate advice would be to switch to costar, but you will have ot do things like these: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73871.0

In any case, stabilisers are hard to get right, if you care, you have a long bumpy road ahead, the simplest thing for you to do would be to use another spacebar that works

What's hard to get right with cherry stabs?  Clip them and they are perfect imo.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #766 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 10:02:12 »
What's hard to get right with cherry stabs?  Clip them and they are perfect imo.

So, are you claiming that if D3amy clips his cherry stabs, his problems will go away?
(The answer is no, it's a hypothetical question)

If this was a regular cherry/costar discussion, what you said would be more believable, but in this case, it's not

Offline D3avy

« Reply #767 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 10:26:27 »
I guess I'll have to switch my layout to 6.25u spacebar. As far as I can see it doesn't get stuck like the 7u.
Wish I could use the costars but 7u wire is hard to come by since they're all DIY and I'd have to sand the keycaps which I don't feel like doing.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #768 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 10:38:05 »
I guess I'll have to switch my layout to 6.25u spacebar. As far as I can see it doesn't get stuck like the 7u.
Wish I could use the costars but 7u wire is hard to come by since they're all DIY and I'd have to sand the keycaps which I don't feel like doing.

Makes sense, one of the reasons I like Costar's so much is because WASD is providing awesome Costar components, but they don't have a 7u wire as you mentioned, with Cherry's there is an incredible amount of fragmentation, many types of stabilisers that all look the same and all of them are hard to find/source - I never could make any of them work for me tho, there is always at least a rattling/stiffness that remains

Offline amharris

« Reply #769 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:42:40 »
Mine arrived yesterday. I put them on today and what an improvement!

My first experience with PBT and I'm very pleased. They feel great and won't really wear down.

Great thanks to Shadovved!

Offline zarrx

« Reply #770 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:33:39 »

Will be arriving within a week or so I think. I will probably delay shipping a little...gonna have my college interviews and test soon :(

Could you let us know when you receive the missing keys? thanks :)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #771 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:55:41 »

I've been told they'll arrive on 30th Oct. Expect 1 week for me to pack and send :thumb:

Offline vercadium

« Reply #772 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 06:23:08 »
My three sets arrived yesterday. I haven't checked them all but tried out a few - my first experience with PBT - absolutely glorious. Thanks Shadovved.

Just a matching ISO Enter and then I'm finished!

Offline just66in

« Reply #773 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:55:19 »

I've been told they'll arrive on 30th Oct. Expect 1 week for me to pack and send :thumb:

Thanks for the update  :D

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #774 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:21:29 »
Is there any way getting matching ISO addons (Enter, R3 1U, R4 1U, R4 1.25U) from enjoypbt/Tao Bao or somebody else?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #775 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:50:33 »
Is there any way getting matching ISO addons (Enter, R3 1U, R4 1U, R4 1.25U) from enjoypbt/Tao Bao or somebody else?

If I were you, I would get the 1U/1.25U's from Shadovved by paying extra, and I would buy a GMK ISO Enter from someone and use that ISO Enter

It might be a bit too late for the extras, but maybe not

You can always find tons of ISO Enter's through classifieds, everyone has many that they can't use, I sometimes get the urge to build an ISO keyboard since those Enter keycaps are just too beautiful to leave unused

Offline edsucks

« Reply #776 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:36:34 »
Got my order a few days ago, just thought I should crosspost from the "Post your pokers" thread.

Dark gray mods and beige alphas on my Pok3r. Thanks for the GB shadovved!

Offline just66in

« Reply #777 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 12:10:34 »
Just wondering if the missing keys have been received?

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #778 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 21:15:24 »
Just wondering if the missing keys have been received?

Prepping to send out alr.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #779 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:30:02 »
Everything is sold out. Any suggestions for R2?

Printed/Unprinted?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: {GB} Gateron PBT Blank Keysets CLOSED [EXTRAS SOLD OUT]
« Reply #780 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:33:55 »

Printed/Unprinted?

I know Seth won't put forward this project : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74163.0
But It will probably gather a lot of interest. (for the dirty qwerty user  :)) )
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #781 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:36:56 »

Printed/Unprinted?

I know Seth won't put forward this project : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74163.0
But It will probably gather a lot of interest. (for the dirty qwerty user  :)) )

I'm working on getting that but seems like imsto is the only distributor available. I'll check again.

That's still not available for GB on GH yet? :eek:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #782 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:37:53 »

Printed/Unprinted?

I'm working on getting that but seems like imsto is the only distributor available. I'll check again.

No those dyesubed gaterons aren't yet.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #783 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:41:50 »

Printed/Unprinted?

No those dyesubed gaterons aren't yet.

Hm. I thought imsto would have moved.

I'll check it out. But the prices seem similar to BSP sets....

Offline potatowire

« Reply #784 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 09:38:19 »
I would love to see blanks in more colors.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #785 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 03:31:45 »

Like which colours. Probably can be done, but the material set-up costs might need to borne by the first buy if they do not have existing material.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #786 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 05:37:36 »

+1

Like which colours. Probably can be done, but the material set-up costs might need to borne by the first buy if they do not have existing material.

Pale/transparent-ish orange, blue, green, purple etc. would be nice

+ Individual key ordering with a specialised form would be nice (much like the missing keycaps form, but easier both for the buyer and the leader)

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #787 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 05:54:27 »

Printed/Unprinted?

European users would appreciate an ISO addon kit for any Gateron set.

I'd like to build a split keyboard with hungarian layout, but getting properly printed caps is impossible, so I guess I have to go for blanks, or maybe UK layout.
(Technically DE layout would suit me better, but I don't like german modifier keys ;D)

Also please consider adding the other Gateron extras as options: Minila space key, windowed Caps/Num/Scr keys.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #788 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 06:38:32 »
I would really appreciate windowed blanks in various colors, i know there is a link in tao bao, but having some big orders for these would be awesome :D

in other news I got my set in the mail yesterday :D

Offline potatowire

« Reply #789 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 08:11:28 »

I like KHAANNN's idea, but I was thinking primary/basic colors at first (although I'd also love Vim green). I would be good with just color packs of mods + esc, because I mainly want to accent what exists now. I would be willing pay for setup costs rolled into the first few runs, for sure.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 08:14:29 by potatowire »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #790 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 13:59:13 »
Since no one is mentioning it, I got my shipment notice 4 days ago by the way, for the missing keys

Can't track it from the email, but at least it's shipped :)

These missing keys + GMK Blue's will get me much closer to my ideal layout

Offline edel781

« Reply #791 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 17:29:15 »
Black blanks would be nice  ;D

Offline mtzgr

• My youtube
« Reply #792 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:55:23 »

Agree with this. I would kill for black (actual black, not gray) alphas and yellow mods. Then I could match my board to my mouse:

Using the dark gray set on my main board and love them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:58:08 by mtzgr »

Offline waterform

« Reply #793 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:49:48 »
Extra/missing keys arrived, thanks Shadovved.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #794 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:15:06 »
got my 'replacement' key, thanks shadovved. now if only i had an MX board to put it on D:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hasagi

« Reply #795 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:14:22 »
Ahh too late to the party.. From Singapore too. What a pity haha! :`)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #796 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:17:31 »
Ahh too late to the party.. From Singapore too. What a pity haha! :`)

I have spare ghost white sets though.....if you are interested.

Offline hasagi

« Reply #797 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 17:16:51 »
Do you still have the two tone set? Really love the colours on those ><

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #798 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 18:23:44 »
Do you still have the two tone set? Really love the colours on those ><

{GB} Gateron PBT Blank Keysets CLOSED [EXTRAS SOLD OUT]
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #799 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 10:04:33 »
Missing keys arrived, thanks shadovved !
Azerty Propagandiste