Author Topic: [IC] Minorca/Sebright 40% keyboard  (Read 21584 times)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
[IC] Minorca/Sebright 40% keyboard
« on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 18:21:40 »
Hello Everyone!

This is an IC for the Minorca and Sebright milled keyboard project. This is a 40% keyboard (Minorca: 43 keys, Sebright: 41 keys) I designed, for which I’ve run several sales. I’ve also worked with Switchtop.com to sell directly on their storefront in the past as a hand-wired incarnation. I partnered with the amazing u/shensmobile to work with the PCB design, and I’ve landed on a preferred case design that I think works very well.

This is going to be a high profile aluminum milled case, with the PCB supporting hotswap and underglow. The switch plate is going to be top-mounted, with 6 circular tabs for added stability. This will have a left-mounted USB location, and uses USB-C as the terminal.

I’m going to have two different layouts (Minorca and Sebright) on one PCB, two corresponding case options, PCB-mount stabs, and a milled base using a 4° incline. This will also have a frosted acrylic layer for a bit more aesthetic choice, or a brass mid-layer for those that aren't huge into LEDs. The PCB does support QMK.

I’m interested to hear color preferences (I’d like to branch out to crazy colors if people are interested) as I can accomplish pretty much anything when powder coating.

Page with powdercoat color examples

Minorca/Sebright prototype pics

With this iteration, I’m trying to nail the price at $240 $250 shipped for:
  • 1x Hotswap Panc40 PCB supporting both Sebright and Minorca layouts
  • 1x Minorca or Sebright milled aluminum top frame
  • 1x 4° angle milled aluminum base (compatible with both Sebright and Minorca top frames)
  • 1x Steel topmount switchplate
  • 1x 1.5mm frosted acrylic diffuser
  • 1x USB-C cable
  • 1x set of rubber feet
  • 2x 2u PCB stabs
  • Color treatment
  • Hardware
  • CONUS shipping and handling
- I tapped up the price to include CONUS shipping and the additions
- The option to substitute an ortholinear PCB and plate for the staggered version is possible

Additional parts will be:
  • Additional Minorca/Sebright milled aluminum top frame - $90
  • Additional 4° angle milled aluminum base (compatible with both Sebright and Minorca top frames) - $70
  • Additional Steel topmount switchplate - $28
  • Additional frosted acrylic diffuser - $13
  • Optional 2mm brass layer - $40
  • Additional hotswap Panc40 PCB supporting both Sebright and Minorca layouts - $35
  • Optional ortholinear hotswap PCB and plate - $70

Ortholinear PCB layouts:

Shipping materials:

Here's a short FAQ that I will definitely add to with any pertinent questions.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

TL;DR -
  • Minorca/Sebright milled aluminum top frame
  • 4° angle milled aluminum base with Frosted acrylic diffuser
  • Stainless steel topmount switchplate
  • Panc40 PCB
    • Hotswap  supporting Minorca, Sebright, Ortholinear layouts
    • USB-C PCB terminal
    • QMK firmware
    • RGB underglow
  • USB-C cable
  • set of rubber feet
  • 2x 2u PCB stabs
  • Color treatment
  • Hardware
  • CONUS shipping and handling
  • $250 pricepoint
  • Additional/Optional Parts available at additional cost (see list above)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 15:07:57 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline Zytyx

Re: [IC] Minorca/Sebright 40% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 20:10:12 »
What method are you planning to use for hotswap? (ie, kaihl, millmax, etc) Will the switches be north or south facing?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 20:44:47 »
What method are you planning to use for hotswap? (ie, kaihl, millmax, etc) Will the switches be north or south facing?

The PCB has kailh hotswap sockets. The switches are oriented depending on the needs of the PCB design, as can be seen in this pic. The north-facing sockets on the bottom row are for the Minorca layout, the south-facing for Sebright. The orientation was necessary to get both layouts on the board. It's a bit of a sacrifice, but hopefully having both layouts make the board a viable option for a lot of people!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 20:57:16 »
Is the USB connector on the top left or left side of the board? Does that make sense?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:17:37 »
Is the USB connector on the top left or left side of the board? Does that make sense?

Top left!

Offline wokechill

• ChillCaps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:22:16 »
40gang lets goooooooo!

... and pls offer an aluminum or polycarb plate, pls and thank you.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:26:08 »
LEGIT

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:33:20 »
if i was a 40 user this would be grails
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:06:28 »
I like this, I like it a lot.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:07:12 »
Great looking keyboard, this thing has been a long time coming so congrats on getting to the "formal IC stage". Case looks great, 4 degree angle should be very comfortable, and the price is reasonable.

That said... I'd prefer a non-hotswap option, and a plate option other than stainless steel (e.g. aluminum). Not sure how set-in-stone those decisions are for you, or maybe everyone else wants those things and I'm in the minority. At least if the plate files published someone could get their own made.

Would also be interested if those resin 1.25u R3 keys went on sale again. I've been happily using mine for a while now and would love to pick up another one or two.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline PyroL

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:52:35 »
IT'S FINALLY HERE :D

will there be a cheaper non-hotswap option avail?

Offline MMKB

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 23:22:12 »
Congrats on moving to the IC!  :thumb:

Looks like nobody mentioned the gap between the keycaps and the case. Do you think it's a little too wide?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 23:30:19 »
Congrats on moving to the IC!  :thumb:

Looks like nobody mentioned the gap between the keycaps and the case. Do you think it's a little too wide?

Many people actually mentioned it! It is too wide, and has been fixed. There also was an issue with the plate switch cutout spacing, leaving too wide of a margin below the bottom row. That has been fixed as well.  :thumb:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 09:04:36 »
It's good to have these back.

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 10:52:36 »
will the HHKB top (seen in prototype pics) be available as well?

Stupid question. Sebright is the 'HHKB'. Now i'm just hyped
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:52:20 »
Where are these being manufactured?
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline Undrcontrl

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 16:51:22 »
Interested

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 18:03:00 »
Nice keeb.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 19:36:19 »
The endgame replacement for my Daisy.

I'm not that big of a fan of crazy colors, but maybe you could look at textured powdercoating?
I have a Deskcandy 60% case with some beautiful textured red powdercoat. Problem is, I don't really have any keysets that match the red, and probably never will...
I would be a really big fan of darker, more nature-oriented colors with texture. Forest Green, browns, stone grey, etc.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 05:00:55 »
I'm not that big of a fan of crazy colors, but maybe you could look at textured powdercoating?
I have a Deskcandy 60% case with some beautiful textured red powdercoat. Problem is, I don't really have any keysets that match the red, and probably never will...
I would be a really big fan of darker, more nature-oriented colors with texture. Forest Green, browns, stone grey, etc.

mmmmmmmmm. Something like this?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 08:32:01 »
Thanks for the kind words folks! I'm working on more "extras" like cables and maybe switches.

The endgame replacement for my Daisy.

I definitely have more muted colors, and I also like a "coarse" texture with them.

This is Slate Grey:

This is Volcano Stone:

The first is textured matte, the second is just matte with no texture, but I'm a pretty big fan of the Volcano Stone. @Zambumon, that's a great color too! I'm going to try to find that powder. Stay tuned for tests!

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 08:38:13 »
a matte forest green type color would be so nice.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 08:38:52 »
The coarse texture is so cool.  :thumb:

Offline vexl

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 04:29:01 »
i'd be very interested in the hhkb layout version if there will be one

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 10:22:45 »

Show Image

self promotion at its best

that said, looking forward to this board

protos looking cool

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 16:51:42 »
i'd be very interested in the hhkb layout version if there will be one

It's going to 100% be an option my friend!

I have some more swatch samples coming in soon, hoping the matte green lives up to our expectations!

Show Image

self promotion at its best

that said, looking forward to this board

protos looking cool

Zambu has carte blanche ;) Thanks! I hope I can continue to encourage your enthusiasm. I'll have typing videos and more pics coming soon!

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2019, 06:41:06 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:18:31 »
Interested for sure!

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:56:08 »
I keep telling myself that I'll never go 40, but this is making me question myself.

Does the HHKB layout PCB have optional sockets for the areas that would be covered by the cutout? I prefer *something* about that general layout, but idk what.

The ortho option hinted at also piques my interest. Are there any updates on that?
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 21:44:08 »

Does the HHKB layout PCB have optional sockets for the areas that would be covered by the cutout? I prefer *something* about that general layout, but idk what.

It does! The existing PCB can support both the Minorca (non-blockered) and Sebright (blockered) layouts.

The ortho option hinted at also piques my interest. Are there any updates on that?

I have an ortho PCB sitting here, and I'm just waiting for the topmounted plates.

Found out recently that my recording equipment is absolute hot garbage, so I need to invest in a good mic before I can get a quality typing test. Sorry for the wait :(

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 17:10:34 »

Here's the flat green. I like the non-textured one better tbh. While it's not as dynamic, it does work better with SA sets like ND and Camping imo.

Show Image

Here are the "browns" swatches. I like the Sand Box a lot, but the Tan Texture would probably be my choice, mostly because it does feel really sandy, which would be an interesting finish to have on a keyboard.

Offline jlee755

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 22:11:41 »
Love, love, love. How about like a pale yellow?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:11:29 »

When you say pale yellow, do you mean like this, or maybe like this?

Offline jlee755

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 19:50:11 »

I was thinking closer to the wheatland. Not sure if that'd be a popular choice, but I don't remember seeing any keyboards using that color.

Offline dephcon

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 17:24:10 »
Could you do a pearlescent dark purple or navy? Or any pearlescent color? Because that would be sick, I mean, I'll probably get in on this regardless of color options.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 18:17:27 »

I was thinking closer to the wheatland. Not sure if that'd be a popular choice, but I don't remember seeing any keyboards using that color.

I agree, I've never seen a color like that before on a keyboard. Maybe I'll open up a "custom color" option and let folks go nuts?

Could you do a pearlescent dark purple or navy? Or any pearlescent color? Because that would be sick, I mean, I'll probably get in on this regardless of color options.

I've found it's hard to get a pearlescent effect on a keyboard because a) there isn't enough material on the part to achieve that effect across an axis and b) it's a bit error-prone and labor-intensive to get the perfect mix and have it appear correct on the part.

I did do a custom one-off treatment with a Chameleon Violet topcoat, which I thought came out really cool. It's not exactly pearlescent, but it's a nice finish nonetheless.

GB is going to get rocking very soon, just waiting for a few more numbers on case and plate quantities and then we're off to the races.  :thumb:

Offline Karni

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 19:36:44 »
 Will there be a split spacebar option for sebright?

Offline jlee755

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 10:58:59 »

I agree, I've never seen a color like that before on a keyboard. Maybe I'll open up a "custom color" option and let folks go nuts?

I've found it's hard to get a pearlescent effect on a keyboard because a) there isn't enough material on the part to achieve that effect across an axis and b) it's a bit error-prone and labor-intensive to get the perfect mix and have it appear correct on the part.

I did do a custom one-off treatment with a Chameleon Violet topcoat, which I thought came out really cool. It's not exactly pearlescent, but it's a nice finish nonetheless.

GB is going to get rocking very soon, just waiting for a few more numbers on case and plate quantities and then we're off to the races.  :thumb:

Exciting! :) Forgive my ignorance, but are you considering the custom color option because it's easier to allow with powder coat? I assumed it was costly to have orders of many different colors.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 16:40:55 »

Exciting! :) Forgive my ignorance, but are you considering the custom color option because it's easier to allow with powder coat? I assumed it was costly to have orders of many different colors.

I am very hesitant to offer a "Buy Your Own Powder" option in all honesty, more so because of the logistical concerns rather than the cost. If it were to ever happen, I'd say folks can do a $15 custom color option, they can order the powder and send it to my location and I can handle the application.

However, having 20+ individual color selections along with the ones I'll already be offering is daunting, mostly because I've tested the colors I have and know they work well with the form factor and the final result is acceptable. I went through 5 different white powders before I found the one that works for my needs, so it's possible that someone might buy a powder color they love, but the powder itself isn't suited for this application. I had to go through 2 pounds of an Emerald Green to get it to work on one 60% case, where I normally need maybe 1/4 lb of white powder for the same part.

It's not my favorite option at this point, but if the interest is high enough, I will absolutely give it a chance.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 00:22:51 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 16:45:22 »
Will there be a split spacebar option for sebright?

I won't be offering any other layouts on the hotswap PCB, due to how cramped the surface real estate is at present. There isn't room to have squeeze another kailh socket on there.

Here's another quick shot of the Minorca layout with DSA Eve.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:52:14 »
Why are spacebars so crooked (sry if it's idiotic quiestion)?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 13:04:04 »
Why are spacebars so crooked (sry if it's idiotic quiestion)?

Not an idiotic question at all! This isn't my build so I can't say for certain, but I think it's due to the spacebars being b-stock and the stab locations being wrong? I'll follow up with the person who took the pic to get more info.

Here's another shot of DSA on a Minorca:

Stabs look OK here!

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:01:07 »
It looks really cool. Love the layout :thumb:

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 19:33:38 »
It looks really cool. Love the layout :thumb:

Thanks m'friend!

I'll be packing one to Keycon on Saturday, please come and say hi if you're there!

Offline asdflkweoiaf23452

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 21:05:49 »
I want one.  Subbed.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:28:38 »

Would love some feedback if anyone has an opinion regarding this packaging process.

I've been seeing a lot of people re-use the original packaging for their keyboards, and while I normally use a lot of bubble wrap and a USPS priority box when I ship mine out, I thought I'd try to do something a bit more reusable this time.

The poly bag is pretty resilient when used in this capacity, and the corners of the box won't puncture the envelope. Having foam sheets on the top and bottom of the pick-and-place foam portion will keep everything situated.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 04:53:56 »
Great idea ;) I always keep the boxes from my keyboards for when I decide to sell them on, this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 10:51:26 »
Great idea ;) I always keep the boxes from my keyboards for when I decide to sell them on, this would be greatly appreciated.

This was my idea, so many people keep these that I wanted to make sure I was providing enough value-add.

Here's the ortho version!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:25:15 »
Here are the layouts we're conceiving for the prospective ortho PCB:

I can't just use a Planck PCB, because the USB terminal position is in a different place than the cutout for my case. We were brainstorming additional layouts, and landed on the alternate of the above, which allows for use in the Sebright frame as well.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 13:16:53 »
A quick FAQ:

Q: $250 seems like a lot to charge for a 40% keyboard. Why is it so expensive?

A: I tried my best to include as much value as humanly possible for this pricepoint. It comes with a hotswap PCB and plate that supports both layouts, a USB-C cable, premium packaging, and a lot of other extras.

Q: Why did you create a new ortholinear PCB when it mimics layouts provided by the planck PCB?

A: The planck PCB has the USB terminal in a different location, so I couldn’t use it with this case configuration. Also, this PCB adds a few more layout options, as I wanted to make sure it was differentiated a bit.

Q: Why is the incline 4° instead of 5° or 7°?

A: After evaluating different configurations and angle options, I felt that 4 degrees was the best option. I did use 5 and felt it was a bit too drastic for this small of a keyboard. The prototype tester group also felt that the 4° was a suitable middle ground.

Q: Why did you go with USB-C and not USB-mini?

A: Shensmobile who designed the PCB itself is a big fan of USB-C, and I don’t think anyone has strong feelings against the use of C as a tech. Some folks don’t have C cables, so I decided to include one in the GB package.

Q: I see a lot of gaps and spaces between the keycaps and the keyboard bezel, will these be resolved in the final design?

A: Yes! The models have already been modified to compensate for this. Part of this had to do with the location of the topmount holes, and another part was the dimensions of the switchplate. Both have been fixed.

Q: Is it possible to only get the ortholinear options without buying the staggered options?

A: Yes!

Q: Is there going to be plate foam available for these layouts?

A: Yes! I’m working on getting the design correct to push out the foam, but rest assured I want foam to be available for this configuration.

Q: Why do you use powdercoating instead of anodization for your keyboard color treatments?

A: I don't have anything against anodization, but I find that the benefits of powdercoating are too numerous to not use it. Compared to ano, powdercoating is more durable, easier to apply, cheaper to use and repair, and faster to complete.

Q: Why do you use USPS to ship instead of another service?

A: When shipping within the US, USPS has the best price-to-speed ratio. I've run a few group buys before and I've always been happy with the service they provide.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 15:34:58 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 13:57:06 »
Is the ortho PCB also going to be hotswap?