Author Topic: topre keycap durability (lazer etched version)  (Read 5196 times)

Offline slyphnier

topre keycap durability (lazer etched version)
« on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:41:34 »
hello everyone

i have been using my topre keyboard for about half year or so
and because my pc is on my bed room, it building up dust rather quick , so i tried to clean up using air-duster to clean it up
it clean some, but there some dust gather up making something like wool and airduster cant blow it up

so it seems i need to pull keycaps so i cant clean it thoroughly
now this might sound stupid but i kinda paranoid breaking keycaps or plunger clip on my way pulling/plugging back keycaps
well if i can find replacement parts easily i wont bother, but as topre keycaps is somewhat not often to find,
and also i need to buy whole keycaps set which is not cheap also, so i dont want to screw up

so longtime veteran topre user here, did u ever experience accidentally break your topre keycaps/plunger/housing caused by pulling/plugging it ?
if there a tips to safetly removing/placing back keycaps please let me know  :)

sorry for being paranoid, but this is my first topre and like everyone else in here, i love it ;D
thanks in advance

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
Re: topre keycap durability (lazer etched version)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:10:38 »
Do you not have a keycap puller? I had a couple laying around from Ducky keyboard and WASD purchases. I have a topre and the mx keypuller works perfectly for topre as well. It usually feels like there's a bit more resistance when removing a topre than an mx, but none of my caps have been damaged to date.

Check this out.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 17:21:03 »
Or the one from Techkeys: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keycap-puller

I haven't removed that many keycaps from my Topre board, but hundreds, possibly thousands, of MX keycap switches have not so much as scratched a keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 17:27:03 »
I've used the TechKeys wirepuller as well as the HHKB folded metal puller on Topre and I prefer the wire format, but both work. (more here)

Offline slyphnier

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 22:51:39 »
thanks for the input guys
Do you not have a keycap puller? I had a couple laying around from Ducky keyboard and WASD purchases. I have a topre and the mx keypuller works perfectly for topre as well. It usually feels like there's a bit more resistance when removing a topre than an mx, but none of my caps have been damaged to date.

Check this out.

yes, i got generic plastic puller one  :) ... probably i should find better keycap puller

Or the one from Techkeys: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keycap-puller

I haven't removed that many keycaps from my Topre board, but hundreds, possibly thousands, of MX keycap switches have not so much as scratched a keycap.

thanks for link
and this what i concern, in mx keycap, we just plug to + which i think is broken-prove
while in topre keycap, there somekind clip mechanism (keycap feet clip to plunger), impact from pulling/plugin seems give more stress to the plastic more than mx, thats why i thought pull/plug might can cause breaking
but hearing so far no one broke their topre keycap, seems the keycap durable enough

I've used the TechKeys wirepuller as well as the HHKB folded metal puller on Topre and I prefer the wire format, but both work. (more here)
thanks for the suggestion sir
to pull the keycap, we just pull it straight right? or better slowly pull  with wiggling it?

Offline aref

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:51:32 »
I have several key-cap pullers from EK, they work fine on Topre and Cherry MX key caps. I did, however, see a nice stainless MKC key-cap puller on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MKC-Stainless-Steel-Keycap-Puller-/330944917204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0ddaaed4

Offline avtar

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:35:37 »
I received a new Realforce today and this happened to the left Shift key as I attempted to remove it using a Leopold key puller:

It didn't feel great at all :( I've removed keycaps on other Topre keyboards and never had one break so it seemed pretty random. Still hurting though...

Offline slyphnier

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 19:54:08 »
I received a new Realforce today and this happened to the left Shift key as I attempted to remove it using a Leopold key puller:

Show Image

It didn't feel great at all :( I've removed keycaps on other Topre keyboards and never had one break so it seemed pretty random. Still hurting though...

ahh this exactly what worried me in pulling/plugging topre keycaps  :(
those feet/stem probably the most things that possible break, even though they have plunger
can i know what plastic material of this broken key, sir? (pbt or abs?)
i wonder if pbt more durable compared to abs
hope you can shift key replacement

Offline avtar

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 20:39:06 »
It was a stock Realforce key so PBT. But like I said, I've swapped keys on several Topre keyboards and this is the first time I've had this happen :/

Offline Schattendolch

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 09:43:24 »

Show Image

:( that's rough, maybe you can get a replacement key off elitekeyb site without having to order a whole set

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 15:27:58 »

Show Image

Did you center the sides of the wire puller on each side of the stem or did you try to pop it from only under one side?  I could see that happening if you applied too much pressure from one side.
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 22:05:50 »

Show Image

Gah! That sucks! Looking at that makes me more paranoid about pulling my Topre caps now!  :eek:
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline avtar

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:29:05 »

Show Image

Gah! That sucks! Looking at that makes me more paranoid about pulling my Topre caps now!  :eek:

That white and pink Realforce looks perfect. Don't touch it!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:32:08 »
So... so un-sturdy...

Never had this problem with any of old keyboards.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 18:48:46 »
I don't know if it's just me, but I do find it hard to pull the Topre caps off sometimes. There have been a few times when a keycap will go flying into the air or across a table because I'm yanking too hard.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline jmmtn4aj

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 01:43:01 »

Show Image

So I've managed to do this exact same thing to the exact same key on my Realforce R2, down to the right of the stem breaking at the base when viewing the keycap from the rear. It's uncanny.

Anyone know where I can get replacement Topre key caps nowadays? Ideally individuals or just the modifiers. All the old suspects (EliteKB, etc.) don't seem to sell them anymore. Sure Topre's solution to a broken keycap stem can't be 'buy a new keyboard'?