Author Topic: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon  (Read 178624 times)

Offline FinalEleven

Any update on the progress so far?

Still cutting, white acrylic cases are all done, white and black POM are 75% complete, clear and frosted acrylic plates and bottoms are done, midlayers and bezels are in the queue.

Great! Keep up the good work!

Offline worldspawn

Shipping has begun, thanks everyone for your patience.

Packages go out the day after I print the shipping label, so if you see a wrong address, hit me us ASAP and I can probably change it before USPS picks it up.
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
Shipping has begun, thanks everyone for your patience.

Packages go out the day after I print the shipping label, so if you see a wrong address, hit me us ASAP and I can probably change it before USPS picks it up.
Awesome news, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline worldspawn

For no additional charge to you guys, I've upgraded the Gothic domestic orders to Priority Mail, and added insurance to the international orders just in case there are unforseen issues due to CoVid.

About 15% of orders have shipped as of today.

Thanks for everyone's patience with the shipping on these  ;D

Offline sandvichs

Can't wait! thanks for the additions

Offline FinalEleven

For no additional charge to you guys, I've upgraded the Gothic domestic orders to Priority Mail, and added insurance to the international orders just in case there are unforseen issues due to CoVid.

About 15% of orders have shipped as of today.

Thanks for everyone's patience with the shipping on these  ;D

So Excite!

Offline Kurisu666

Mine is currently out for delivery! That was definitely fast shipping!

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 16:10:28 by Kurisu666 »

Offline zakatak

• no cash
Any news on when extras will be available?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline worldspawn

Any news on when extras will be available?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Nothing specific yet, I want to make sure orders get delivered before selling the extras, orders are about 50% shipped.

Offline shardikofthebeam

Hey Geekhack!

Looking to buy or trade for a frosted top/bottom piece for the Gothic70 build. As seen in the timestamp, I have a Matte Black top (I think this is POM), and a clear bottom (acrylic). After seeing photos, I like the frosted look better. The top frosted piece is more important to me than the bottom piece.

https://imgur.com/a/gZKzuEb some photos of the top and bottom piece.

both top and bottom piece are in perfect condition, no cracks or scratches or anything like that. I didn't have anything here at work to wipe the clear piece with, so it's just a little smudged from handling the keyboard.

I know it's a longshot, and there may be extras available after this round of orders is done (worldspawn may need to comment on that) but I thought i'd throw this post up just in case.

Alternatively, if anyone knows any US outlets where I could get this done, that works too.

Thanks!

Offline scriblz

I just finished building my Gothic70 yesterday and am trying to change the keymap with the QMK configurator and am getting the error dfu-programmer: no device present. when i attempt to flash
any ideas on what i need to do to get this working?

Thanks

Offline worldspawn

I just finished building my Gothic70 yesterday and am trying to change the keymap with the QMK configurator and am getting the error dfu-programmer: no device present. when i attempt to flash

Thanks

Are you hitting the reset button on the bottom before trying to flash it?

Offline scriblz

Thanks

Are you hitting the reset button on the bottom before trying to flash it?

Yes, i pressed the reset button on the bottom before flashing. QMK configurator sees that the board is there and lets me attempt to flash but i get that error after i click flash

i press the reset button on the back and get

*** DFU device connected:   (03EB:2FF4:0000)

then hit flash and get

*** Attempting to flash, please don't remove device
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 erase --force
    dfu-programmer: no device present.
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 flash "C:\Users\riley\Downloads\wsk_gothic70_better.hex"
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 reset

*Edit

Got this to work after updating drivers with Zadig.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:21:49 by scriblz »

Offline worldspawn

With the board plugged into USB, when you hit and release the button, QMK should see the keyboard disconnect, and a DFU device should be detected.

Offline worldspawn

GB round 2 orders are about 80% shipped.

Offline TimeDoctor

Has anyone else had trouble with the Gothic70 PCB and USB-C to USB-C connections? I have two boards here, two different computers that support USB-C, and three different cables. USB-C to USB-A cables work every time. USB-C to USB-C works if the stars align and I re-orient the cable, sometimes.

Offline quadrotiles

I finally got my board today, and for the first time ever, I didn't check the PCB before soldering. I've soldered all my switches and half the keys on the right of the PCB aren't working and half the keys on the left side all register at the same time. My soldering is a little messy, but it doesn't look like I've accidentally soldered over any traces or anything, the resistors and stuff all look in tact and I used little isolating o-rings on the stabs.. I don't really know what to do :( would anyone have any ideas that I could try?

Offline worldspawn

I tested the PCBs before sending them out, they should all be working.  The problem you describe is usually cause by solder overlapping from the pin pads to the pattern, the pattern is part of the ground plane, and solder touching it will cause the entire column to malfunction.

You may have small solder blobs like the one here that will cause the failure

Offline quadrotiles

Oh noooo... you're right, I think that's exactly my problem. I got some solder on parts of the pattern that I'm not sure how to get off without damaging the board. If I were to accidentally scrape the pattern, would that cause malfunctions too?

Edit: Also, is it ok if there is solder on the pattern that is not connected to a switch or anything? Like if I got a little blob that I'm finding hard to remove on just the pattern? (Edit 2: little blobs of solder not touching anything else seem to be fine)

Edit 2: I found some spots where I could reflow the solder and get the solder away from the pattern. As far as I can tell, it works perfectly now. Thank you so much, I wouldn't have realised that the pattern was so important alone.
Thanks again and I'm excited to start using this gorgeous board!
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 16:25:39 by quadrotiles »

Offline worldspawn

no problem, it's a fairly unique issue that can occur due to the board pattern.  Solder wick works well to remove the bridging if anyone else has trouble cleaning up the excess solder.

Offline ATK

Hello, is there any chance that there will be another round happening in the near future?

Offline quadrotiles

Hey, so I have another problem that I'd like to ask others for advice on, from others who put LEDs on their boards. I'm trying to do it for the first time, but the LEDs are at different brightness each time I plug the keyboard in and the first LED is always having a disco party time

I took a picture and video of what's going on: https://imgur.com/a/g5sHjmP (ignore the wonky strips... I wasn't paying attention)
You can see the LEDs' brightness are different in both and the first LED is flashing like crazy.

I've increased the number of LEDs in the config.h (RGBLED_NUM) file from 7 to a variety of numbers. Originally I had tried putting 16 underglow LEDs, but then I thought maybe I was trying to add too many? Currently there are 14. I also tried decreasing the brightness limit thing (RGBLIGHT_LIMIT_VAL) to 150.

Honestly, changing the config.h made no difference no matter what I change the values to, and the RGB toggle/colour change/etc keys that I put on the keymap also don't appear to do anything either, which is weird. I'm using a terminal window to compile the files and then using the toolbox to flash. Do I somehow need to specify that it should flash the new version of the config file too? I don't exactly understand how it works with the config.

I also worried that it was my soldering that was bad, so I removed my first LED light strip attempt and redid the whole thing from scratch. Exactly the same results, so I don't think it's that.

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong or maybe give me some suggestions on what I can do?

Offline TimeDoctor

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong or maybe give me some suggestions on what I can do?

I think it might be because you’re hooked up to a different part of the board. There’s three holes specifically for RGB strips near the space bars.

Offline quadrotiles

Really? Omg... I followed what information I could find online. I had no idea this PCB had specific holes for rgb. I feel so silly now.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will fix it tomorrow and it probably will work lol

Offline worldspawn

Really? Omg... I followed what information I could find online. I had no idea this PCB had specific holes for rgb. I feel so silly now.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will fix it tomorrow and it probably will work lol

Here's the location (this is the top side of the PCB)

Offline quadrotiles

It works perfectly! Thank you all so much :) I'm so hyped about my cool new board and how much I learned :D

Offline worldspawn

orders are 95% shipped, 3 left IIRC

Offline SteffeMK

Do you have any extra plate foam and does that help to keep the plate up?

Offline worldspawn

Yes, I can always do plate foam, it takes up the space and maintains the gap between the plate and the PCB.

Offline SteffeMK

Yes, I can always do plate foam, it takes up the space and maintains the gap between the plate and the PCB.

Do I order through your Etsy store or just in PM?

Offline worldspawn

I'll PM you the details

Offline SteffeMK

I'll PM you the details
Okay, thanks!

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline danieljgrouse

Well, as of today my tracking stopped updating. The parcel got stuck in Chicago being handed off for international shipping for about two months and now the tracking number isn't available. I'm trying my best not to be too grumpy about that because the USPS situation is affecting everyone in the US more and in more important ways than me with my keyboard but I can't help but be worried a bit.

Offline monovertex

Is there an expected rerun of this GB, or is it open source? I just discovered it and was interested in building one as a gift to a friend.

Offline worldspawn

I'll probably run another round this fall.

Offline monovertex

Thank you, this is great news. Is following this thread enough to get a notification when this happens?

Offline worldspawn

I'll post updates here and in my discord https://discord.gg/5MDUT86

Thank you, this is great news. Is following this thread enough to get a notification when this happens?

Offline worldspawn

Just wanted to post an update to this, tracking never updated, but the package was delivered.  Postal service is a mess right now  :-X

Well, as of today my tracking stopped updating. The parcel got stuck in Chicago being handed off for international shipping for about two months and now the tracking number isn't available. I'm trying my best not to be too grumpy about that because the USPS situation is affecting everyone in the US more and in more important ways than me with my keyboard but I can't help but be worried a bit.

Offline wowaweewa

Wanted to say I've got the same problem. My Gothic has been stuck on Chicago IL Int distribution center at July 17th, but never seen any status updates since then... I hope everything will be fine, but I too am a bit worried!

Offline worldspawn

Chicago is the outbound international hub for my area, so after it gets to Chicago, usually the next update is arrival in the destination country.

Offline gorbachev

Has anyone else had issues with the stabilizers on the Gothic70?

I don't know what it is with Arisu and Gothic70, which is a derivative of the Arisu, but these are the only keyboards I've had consistent issues with sticky stabilizers. I've tried cherry stabs, c3 equals and durock screw-in stabs. I've assembled 4 Arisu/Gothic70 boards, and only one of them had no issues with the stabs. I've assembled dozens of other keyboards and never had an issue with stabs on any of the other boards.

Offline TimeDoctor

Has anyone else had issues with the stabilizers on the Gothic70?

I don't know what it is with Arisu and Gothic70, which is a derivative of the Arisu, but these are the only keyboards I've had consistent issues with sticky stabilizers. I've tried cherry stabs, c3 equals and durock screw-in stabs. I've assembled 4 Arisu/Gothic70 boards, and only one of them had no issues with the stabs. I've assembled dozens of other keyboards and never had an issue with stabs on any of the other boards.
Yes, the original plate didn’t work for me. The newest plate (  https://github.com/worldspawn00/Gothic70/blob/master/Gothic70%20cut%20files/plate.svg  ) works better, but somehow still gets me with sticky stabs, and sometimes not right away. Usually after a few minutes or hours of typing. I am glad someone else has tried different stabs, because I thought it might just be my stabilizers which are all from one batch.

Offline worldspawn

That's really weird, as the version of the file you posted, the stabs shouldn't even touch the plate at all, so I have no idea what about the plate could be making them stick at that point.  The stab cutouts are effectively the same as the A17 case from TGR, and I don't think people were having issues with stabs in those.

Offline gorbachev

Yes, the original plate didn’t work for me. The newest plate (  https://github.com/worldspawn00/Gothic70/blob/master/Gothic70%20cut%20files/plate.svg  ) works better, but somehow still gets me with sticky stabs, and sometimes not right away. Usually after a few minutes or hours of typing. I am glad someone else has tried different stabs, because I thought it might just be my stabilizers which are all from one batch.

Did you figure what the problem actually is/was? Is the plate squeezing the stabs somehow?

I just finished assembling my Gothic70, but didn't really want to start troubleshooting tonight.

I was thinking maybe it's the PCB given that they're PCB mounted stabs, but like I said I didn't really have a chance to troubleshoot so I'm just speculating. Maybe it allows mounting the stabs slightly skewed or maybe the holes for the stabilizer are slightly too far or close to what they should be.

Offline TimeDoctor

Did you figure what the problem actually is/was? Is the plate squeezing the stabs somehow?

I just finished assembling my Gothic70, but didn't really want to start troubleshooting tonight.

I was thinking maybe it's the PCB given that they're PCB mounted stabs, but like I said I didn't really have a chance to troubleshoot so I'm just speculating. Maybe it allows mounting the stabs slightly skewed or maybe the holes for the stabilizer are slightly too far or close to what they should be.
With the older version you could tell right away that the plate was squeezing the stab wire, or that was my interpretation. I have never been able to figure out what the issue is with the newer version of the plate (rounded cutouts version). I sent the one I have with the old plate to merlin64 to be desoldered and swapped with the new (rounded cut out plate).

Various people have very kindly suggested solutions of adjusting the different layers, WS suggested that it might be the cap rubbing against the case bezel.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2020, 06:45:08 by TimeDoctor »

Offline gorbachev

With the older version you could tell right away that the plate was squeezing the stab wire, or that was my interpretation. I have never been able to figure out what the issue is with the newer version of the plate (rounded cutouts version). I sent the one I have with the old plate to [mention]merlin64 [/mention]to be desoldered and swapped with the new (rounded cut out plate).

I can confirm that. I just took a look at one of the sticky stabs on my Gothic70, and it was exactly as you said. The switch plate is pinching the stab wire not allowing it to rotate freely.

I tend to try and push the switches as far in through the PCB as I possibly can to make sure they're tight, sit right on the PCB and are even across the entire board. It might make sense to maybe leave them off a fraction on the Arisu/Gothic70 to give the plate a bit more space.

I fixed the issue with shaving a bit of the plate off on top of the stab wire with a xakto knife and lubing the underside of the plate and the stab wire as well. Seems to be working very well since. 4 more stabs to go...and 2 Arisu boards after that.

Offline gorbachev

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (shipping)
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 12:26:08 »
I had some free time over the long US holiday weekend, so I decided to spend some of it fixing all the sticky stabs on my Arisus and the Gothic70. Happy to say they're all now unstuck and working quite nicely.

Interesting that the C3 Equals stabs on the purple Arisu with DSA keycaps just didn't work at all. I had to replace them all with GMK screw-in stabilizers, which then worked without issues. Cherry profile keycaps worked most of the time with the C3 Equals stabs as well.

251326-0

That's two custom Arisus at the top, built from the open source files (PCBs from JLCPCB, acrylic case from Ponoko), and the Gothic70 at the bottom.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 12:28:02 by gorbachev »

Offline pivotalpatron

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (shipping)
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 00:07:35 »
Hi guys; not sure if anyone still responds to this forum post but I'm needing some help with my Gothic 70.

It appears that my left CTRL key registers as CAPS LOCK

I've ran keyboard tests on QMK and it shows my CTRL key with the Code: CAPS LOCK

Does anyone know how to fix this?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 17:19:23 by pivotalpatron »

Offline worldspawn

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (Extras!)
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 21:04:02 »
Extras are live in the shop till they're gone!

Offline maximize

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (Extras!)
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 15:30:52 »
Is there any possible way to alter the case (DIY) so the screws feed from the bottom? Or another way to secure the case?