Author Topic: Any opinions on the new Glorious Gaming Modular RGB Keyboard?  (Read 7332 times)

Offline zpcomstock17

Any opinions on the new Glorious Gaming Modular RGB Keyboard?
« on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 22:36:22 »
http://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/glorious-gaming-modular-cherry-gateron-kailh-mechanical-keyboards/products/glorious-modular-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-barebones

It finally came! with a month to preorder too.
Any opinions and plans with this keyboard? This keyboard was a dream of mine and maybe I'll get it next month if it holds promising reviews. The original keyboard seemed decent and did it's modular functionality with only small hiccups.
Barebones too! It's only full-sized for now... :[ Fortunately now you spend less and don't have to waste money because you want to pop in some Zealios or try out your ergo clears.
I'm hoping for this keyboard to do well, there's a potential for a lot of cool builds that can be structured around this keyboard and I can't wait to see what the gh and other keyboard enthusiasts communities do wit these keyboards.  ;D
Any opinions on the build and design? Anyone going to purchase it asap?

Offline DuckNorris

Re: Any opinions on the new Glorious Gaming Modular RGB Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 22:47:05 »
It looks too much like a gaming keyboard(flashy) for my taste and full size is meh. If there is a TKL I see more enthusiasts buying into it but some will try for curiosity especially since Gateron switches :O 

Only reason I see this as a good buy is if you want to have like 2-3 switches spread out on the keyboard from the get go. Otherwise, I think many people will get tired of swapping out switches...

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 02:10:21 »
The Team Wolf Zhuque uses the same technology for the hot-swapping ability but is cheaper and TKL, with a trade off for a fairly hideous but still good keyboard.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 02:14:11 »
Switch swapping is a big thing for gamers, especially if you hop genres.
Teamwolf told me many gamers in China will use certain switches for their action keys in games.
OSU or FPS gamers may want linears since you're going to be bottoming out hard and don't need tactile feedback.
Others may want tactile feedback so you can know exactly when you pressed the key.  It's a really nice feature.

This thing will sell well.  The teamwolf RGB and TKL Zhuque boards sold pretty well too, after they got the firmware fixes.  Very popular to put Gaterons in the boards, but they we not designed for repeated inserts and removals of Gaterons, just Outemus, but they work.  And the Glorious Gaming RGB keyboard should have much better RGB features than the teamwolf and E-element hot swappable boards; their RGB support is as basic and pedestrian as can be (you don't even get random colors in Reactive RGB, it's always a certain order).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 03:30:05 »
I'm getting the team wolf next week because my ergo-clear QFR build was an utter disaster and I need something to put my ergo clears in for cheap.

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 08:57:25 »
I'm getting the team wolf next week

I thought about getting a Team Wolf but I read that because of the metal case it can get pingy.  This makes me nervous about buying a K-Type.

Switch swapping is a big thing for gamers

Switch swapping is a great thing for those who are tired of the "50 million keypress" propaganda.

As far as RGB is concerned: OH LOOK. ANOTHER RGB KEYBOARD. I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT BEFORE!  :-\

Offline iceman2733

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:11:27 »
I swear I gotta stop getting on this forum, it is killing my bank account lol....   The Team Wolf Zhuque so you guys are saying can take Cherry MX/Gateron without issues?  Is there any issues with the switches loosing connectivity?  Also does the RGB shine thru the switches or are they top mounted on the PCB?  Sorry for thread jacking I figure my questions might help the original poster also.  I am a FPS gamer and something like this really interest me due to I could run Linear in for main keys and go with a tactile for numbers and a few other things. 

Offline mrvco

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:45:55 »
A TKL version that includes a mixture of switches might be interesting.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:49:10 »
It looks too much like a gaming keyboard(flashy) for my taste and full size is meh. If there is a TKL I see more enthusiasts buying into it but some will try for curiosity especially since Gateron switches :O 

Only reason I see this as a good buy is if you want to have like 2-3 switches spread out on the keyboard from the get go. Otherwise, I think many people will get tired of swapping out switches...
Really? Without RGB switches I think it would look subdued.

I might've ordered one right away if MX Blues were an option. My RK-9100 has always had weird issues like sticking keys. Now I've been getting 'oo', 'ooo', or etc instead of 'o', though I'm not sure if I just need to clean or replace the switch. Definitely interested in GGMK if it doesn't have similar quirks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:07:20 by Prince Valiant »

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:51:16 »
I got mine from Massdrop. It's fantastic. I've swapped some of the switches out with gateron yellows from the default gateron browns. So easy!

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:47:03 »
I swear I gotta stop getting on this forum, it is killing my bank account lol....   The Team Wolf Zhuque so you guys are saying can take Cherry MX/Gateron without issues?  Is there any issues with the switches loosing connectivity?  Also does the RGB shine thru the switches or are they top mounted on the PCB?  Sorry for thread jacking I figure my questions might help the original poster also.  I am a FPS gamer and something like this really interest me due to I could run Linear in for main keys and go with a tactile for numbers and a few other things. 

I can tell you that I removed the blue outemu switches from my full size CIY Teamwolf Vod Ray RGB keyboard and put SMD Gateron greens, and then I removed and reinserted the same Gateron switch 7 times into the socket, and there was no problem with connectivity, no intermittent issues or anything else.  The Gateron switches come out much easier than the Outemu switches do also; just squeeze the top and bottom with the switch remover and pull and pop it comes out.  Some of the Outemu switches would not come out unless you applied SUPER excessive force AND pulling, and many of the Outemus had the thin plastic housing around that rectangle cutout crushed after this (meaning I threw them all away).   No such problems with the Gaterons at all...it's almost like the SMD Gaterons were DESIGNED To be hot swappable.

I can't speak for Cherry switches, as I have no samples of them.  The apparent thing was the Teamwolf board was designed for Outemu switches removal, and that Gateron and Cherries use very slightly different dimensions in something (maybe the metal pins), and inserting and removing those would wear out the connection or the grip or something.  I have yet to encounter this as I just mentioned, but I do have the "Full size" teamwolf vod ray as well, and the "2016" version of it.  There was a 2015 version as well, so I don't know what changes were made (I used a taobao agent to buy the "2016" version).  I can not speak for the TKL Zhuque versions.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:42:05 »
i wish there was an option to get it with cherry switches out of the box, because ya boi doesn't like gaterons
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:43:25 »
i wish there was an option to get it with cherry switches out of the box, because ya boi doesn't like gaterons
imo if its hot swappable they should just ship it with the cheapest POS switches available to lower the price even more.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:46:12 »
imo if its hot swappable they should just ship it with the cheapest POS switches available to lower the price even more.

from a business perspective this a good move

i'm just a lazy piece of ****
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 18:27:05 »
I like the understated LED indicators. Why label the indicators when you can see the LED light up as you press the key.. I don't get it

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 18:54:39 »

Yeah but Topre is expensive.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 19:32:01 »

Yeah but Topre is expensive.
Noisy you're drunk

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 20:12:07 »

It works with any Cherry-similar switches.  It had a lifespan of something around 30-40 swaps, be extremely gentle with the switches to preserve lifespan and unplug the keyboard while swapping to ensure no issues ;D. And the leds are smd, if they weren't you wouldn't be able to have that sweet hotswapping feature.  Grab clear-housed or SMD-led switches if you care about the RGB lighting.

I know right? Why is it aimed towards gamers with a full layout they won't use, also will save a good amount of money on the extra switches.

there's still hope tho

I like the understated LED indicators. Why label the indicators when you can see the LED light up as you press the key.. I don't get it

Why not beep instead?  :p (@4:05)

They come completely barebones for $60, best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2017, 20:14:39 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:09:10 »
I understand why manufacturers created giant LED indicator labels in the past. What I don't understand is why that trend continues. I think modern users can remember which light does what. I want mine to have a fog horn and strobing RGB LEDs. Make it so :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:34:59 »
Switch swapping is a big thing for gamers, especially if you hop genres... Teamwolf told me many gamers in China will use certain switches for their action keys in games...

Hmm—do you think it's possible that they just need to, you know, get out a bit more...?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:46:44 »
Show Image

there's still hope tho

That's unfortunate.  I remember it being Q1-Q2 for the TKL, Q3-Q4 for the 60%.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:48:09 »

Well they actually sell it as a barebones board with no switches for $60 which is pretty nice.

Offline skuko

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:26:24 »
meh, they were supposed to come up with a TKL in the first half of 2017. it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel or something, zhuque already has it. i only haven't bought that one because of the logos plastered all over the thing.

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:06:51 »
meh, they were supposed to come up with a TKL in the first half of 2017. it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel or something, zhuque already has it.

Glorious is just screwing themselves.  Once the K-Type hits there will be no reason to buy a Glorious TKL.

Offline skuko

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:07:36 »
meh, they were supposed to come up with a TKL in the first half of 2017. it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel or something, zhuque already has it.

Glorious is just screwing themselves.  Once the K-Type hits there will be no reason to buy a Glorious TKL.
other than the price.....but yeah, i think they should have come up with a TKL version instead of RGB crap...

well, maybe they did market research and RGB came up on top. i don't give a damn about RGB, but hey....

only wanted to buy it because of the floating key case design, but now i have a hotswap modded Leopold 750RT, so i think i'm perfectly fine :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:11:05 by skuko »

Offline dante

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:16:03 »
I'm also in the camp that RGB is worthless.  At least now that the market is saturated with RGB NKRO BS, now maybe OEM's will start putting useful features like hotswap in their boards.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:52:52 »

I just now did another test on my *2016 version* Vod (Void) ray teamwolf fullsize RGB keyboard and inserted and removed the same Gateron Green switch 13 times, no damage or wear to the socket that I can tell.  Still feels the same.  So you should be good to go.  I don't know about the ZHUQUE boards, but there was a 2015 version of the fullsize RGB board, and the 2016 version was advertised as "2016 version", so I have no idea what was changed.  Someone was complaining that swapping Gaterons into the sockets which came with Outemus wore out the socket on the ZHUQUE, but I have not experienced that on mine.  The Glorious gaming version should naturally be even better.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 19:29:07 »
Oh I'm so tempted to return my K70 RGB LUX for this... At first, I saw it and said to myself "Oh well, at least my k70 has an aluminum plate"... well the glorious has one too.

Still a few days within my return period to opt for this instead hmm...

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 01:17:19 »
I got mine in.  It's very nice, minimalistic, smallest bezel I've ever seen, aluminum and no sharp edges anywhere.  It has some nice default modes, but the RGB lighting is very buggy right now; reactive touch RGB mode does not properly randomize the colors and red shades come out far too often, and full single color backlighting mode seems to be too dim, compared to the effect modes (like sine wave) being far brighter, and white is so dim and not toned right, it looks like pink.  I suggest you report those bugs so they can fix them.  The raindrop and Matrix modes do look good, even though it's no ducky.

I'm not sure if I would return a K70 Lux for this; unless you hate RGB, the Corsair has far more capability; might be worth keeping around.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:40:05 »
I got mine in.  It's very nice, minimalistic, smallest bezel I've ever seen, aluminum and no sharp edges anywhere.  It has some nice default modes, but the RGB lighting is very buggy right now; reactive touch RGB mode does not properly randomize the colors and red shades come out far too often, and full single color backlighting mode seems to be too dim, compared to the effect modes (like sine wave) being far brighter, and white is so dim and not toned right, it looks like pink.  I suggest you report those bugs so they can fix them.  The raindrop and Matrix modes do look good, even though it's no ducky.

I'm not sure if I would return a K70 Lux for this; unless you hate RGB, the Corsair has far more capability; might be worth keeping around.

Thank you for your honest review. I'll probably keep my LUX anyway. Fits my whole design with my m65, mouse mat and 780t tower. That volume wheel also is so nice to have. I use it all the time and that's really missing on the Glorious.

I always wanted to try something different for my typing needs though. Instead of limiting myself to a keyboard with one specific type of switches (brown, blue or whatever else), I might get a Glorious to have the opportunity to try different switches for a decent price.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:46:47 »
I understand why manufacturers created giant LED indicator labels in the past. What I don't understand is why that trend continues. I think modern users can remember which light does what. I want mine to have a fog horn and strobing RGB LEDs. Make it so :))

LOL. Really.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:41:31 »

LOL. Really.

(Attachment Link)

Here's the Oldie from my stupid days using a flat keyboard.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:55:58 »

LOL. Really.

(Attachment Link)

Best music NA 2017

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:10:35 »

LOL. Really.

(Attachment Link)

Best music NA 2017

Idk. i just picked a generic song that youtube gives you.