Author Topic: [GB] Promenade - 60% Ortho pcb the takes ergodox keycaps (Boardwalk clone)  (Read 26117 times)

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
Promenade

This is an independent remake of my favorite keyboard layout: the Boardwalk. I added some features that I wanted in my own boards. The main additions/changes are 3u/6u spacebar support, 1.5u default center column instead of 1u*, a jst connector for a daughterboard, and gummy o-ring cuts around the edge.

Join the Group Buy

GB Details
Group Buy Timeframe: Dec 31 2023 - Jan 31 2024
Estimated shipping: April 2024
PCB Price: $50
FR4 Plate: $25

Worldwide Vendor: Krado Industries
USA Shipping: $10
Canada Shipping: $16
International Shipping: $25

Promenade Hotswap Variations
  • 1.5u Center Columns USB-C Hotswap
  • 1.5u Center Columns JST (no usb port) Hotswap
  • 1u Center Columns USB-C Hotswap
  • 1u Center Columns JST (no usb port) Hotswap
Layouts
More
Promenade HS PCB
More
Promenade Plates

IC
Discord

GB Order Here

Features:
  • Atmega32u4
  • Kaihl Hotswap
  • ESD Protection
  • RGB Underglow
  • Edge cuts for some o-ring boards*
  • JST connector for C3UDB
  • Breakout pins
  • 6u/3u Spacebar stabilizer holes added, 2u and 7u spacebars also supported
  • 1.5u center mods (*with hotswap footprints for 1u columns)
  • PCB and FR4 plates with be black and 1.6mm thick
  • QMK powered with VIA support
  • Optional USB-C port or edge cut for Bakeneko V3 mounting point
*The 1u version will require some switch legs to be trimmed if using 5-pin switches for the center columns.
Both the USB version and DB version will have a JST socket.
Since the key switches on the Promenade are a bit farther from the edge of a 60% compared to a traditional staggered 60% pcb, gummy o-rings may not provide get an adequate friction fit. To try to alleviate this issue there are matching M2 holes on the PCB and FR4 plates where standoffs can be inserted to stretch the o-ring.
7u and 6u spacebar layouts can be clip in stabilizers, but 3u and 2u spacebars should use screw in stabilizers due to the stab holes overlapping slightly.

I am also making a solder version using an RP2040 that will have way more layouts and encoder support. The solder version GB will be launched after HS version GB is finished or nearly finished.
Solder version layouts (still being designed)
More

More Photos
More

Frog Mini

HMKB - 60BW

PCB

My collection (From top left to bottom right: TinyNeko, Frog Mini, HMKB 60 SS, HMKB 60, Ryloo Studio "Hello" M0110 Alu, Ryloo Studio "Hello" M0110 PC)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2024, 18:08:38 by Narf »

Offline Mr Chrome

Re: [GB] Promenade - 60% Ortho pcb the takes ergodox keycaps (Boardwalk clone)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 22:36:19 »
Ordered! Aus shipping was brutal but what can ya do, I needed one ;-;
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline killchain

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 04:53:16 »
Good job, nice to see this happen. I was also a bit desperate because I've been wanting a Boardwalk for some time, but never got the chance to catch it in stock. I'll make up my mind about 1U/1.5U and order. International shipping is indeed a bit expensive, but oh, well...

Just curious - any particular reason for the plates to be 1U/1.5U specific? I've seen other plates made to be interchangeable (just like the bottom row is here). Is it because FR4 is more flexible and would give too much with larger cuts?

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 05:16:17 »
I'm very excited for the upcoming Soldered version of this board, but looking at the previews under the "Solder version layouts" section I don't believe my current layout (which was possible on the boardwalk) is supported. You say that the soldered version is still being designed... please could you consider the following layout when you do so? It's basically a pure ortho layout but with an off-centre 2U space bar beneath the B and N, and even though it's nothing fancy and it's a bit weird, for me it's just the perfect layout—so I was distraught to see the Boardwalk go! If you can manage to make it work on the Promenade I will definitely be in for a couple :)

Hiding the image behind a "read more" tag so as not to clutter up your GB thread too much... please let me know if this would be better suited to the IC thread or elsewhere.

More

Offline taraskremen

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 09:03:18 »
Is there a list of readily available 60% cases that are 100% known to be compatible with this PCB and plate with no expected modifications? That would be very helpful info for potential buyers.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 14:47:14 »
Just ordered 2 units. Can't wait to build it.
What company will be handling EU shipping?
Also I second on a question regarding reference cases that would ensure smooth fit.

Cheers from Poland

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 18:30:08 »
Sorry for the delayed replies everyone! I didn't get any reply notifications.
Ordered! Aus shipping was brutal but what can ya do, I needed one ;-;
Thank you for ordering despite high shipping! I wish postage were cheaper.

Good job, nice to see this happen. I was also a bit desperate because I've been wanting a Boardwalk for some time, but never got the chance to catch it in stock. I'll make up my mind about 1U/1.5U and order. International shipping is indeed a bit expensive, but oh, well...

Just curious - any particular reason for the plates to be 1U/1.5U specific? I've seen other plates made to be interchangeable (just like the bottom row is here). Is it because FR4 is more flexible and would give too much with larger cuts?
Thank you for ordering! There are three reasons: looks, sound, and switch fit. Having extra holes in the plate that can be seen between keycaps isn't the most aesthetic, and having a bunch of holes in the plate usually has a negative impact on sound. (I know that there are a bunch of holes for the bottom row, but it was necessary for the different spacebar configs. The third (and most important) reason is that some switches (like Kailh Box) do not have plate flanges on the sides. This means that they won't sit properly on the plate if they aren't supported on the top and bottom edges of the switch. I had this issue when I built my first Boardwalk with Box Jades. This is really only an issue for the 1u layout, as the 1.5u switches are rotated 90 degrees.

Just ordered 2 units. Can't wait to build it.
What company will be handling EU shipping?
Also I second on a question regarding reference cases that would ensure smooth fit.

Cheers from Poland
Thank you for your order! If you are asking which carrier will deliver the packages, I am not sure. Most of the time I use Pirate Ship's Simple Export or USPS for international shipping. FedEx and DHL quotes are insanely expensive for me, so I can't use those.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 18:39:33 »
I'm very excited for the upcoming Soldered version of this board, but looking at the previews under the "Solder version layouts" section I don't believe my current layout (which was possible on the boardwalk) is supported. You say that the soldered version is still being designed... please could you consider the following layout when you do so? It's basically a pure ortho layout but with an off-centre 2U space bar beneath the B and N, and even though it's nothing fancy and it's a bit weird, for me it's just the perfect layout—so I was distraught to see the Boardwalk go! If you can manage to make it work on the Promenade I will definitely be in for a couple :)

Hiding the image behind a "read more" tag so as not to clutter up your GB thread too much... please let me know if this would be better suited to the IC thread or elsewhere.

More
Show Image
Fear not! This layout will be possible on the solder version. Full 1u bottom row is also possible. There are probably a few other layouts that are possible on the solder version, but they aren't in the KLE graphic. I will post a more accurate layout graphic when I do the IC for the solder version.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 20:29:08 »
Is there a list of readily available 60% cases that are 100% known to be compatible with this PCB and plate with no expected modifications? That would be very helpful info for potential buyers.
Sorry my reply is a bit late. I know it would be helpful to have a big list of compatible cases, but I simply do not have that data or the time to inspect every 60% case in existence. It is also hard for me know what what cases are "readily available" because things may go in or out of stock at the dozens of individual vendors, and I can't keep track of every GB or extras announcement for 60% cases. If I post that something is available now, it may be unavailable in a week. That is just the nature of the hobby. Hopefully the below info will help people find a case.

I can only guarantee compatibility on cases that I have personally tested. Most of those cases are already pictured in the GB post. Every case except the HMKB 60BW (That comes with a Boardwalk plate) will require either a Boardwalk or Promenade plate. Some of them will require a case-specific custom plate.
Here is a list of the cases that I have personally tested and know will fit:
  • Geon Works Frog Mini (Requires custom plate)
  • HMKB 60 (Standard BW plate will work for everything except 3u spacebars)
  • Mekanisk Fjell and Klippe T with the removable standoffs removed (Use any standard Boardwalk/Promenade plate)
  • Ryloo Studio "Hello" M0110 (Requires custom plate)
  • TinyNeko (Use any Boardwalk/Promenade plate) Requires some finagling of the o-ring, and screw in stabilizers probably need to be filed down to fit o-ring
I can confirm that it does NOT fit in the dn60.

Here is a check list for case compatibility:
  • Case is 60%
  • There is no integrated plate
  • Case has a usb port located between Escape and 1, or it uses a daughterboard like the C3 Universal Daughterboard
  • If it uses a daughterboard, there should be a JST cable channel that runs to the to left to near the Q/W keys (or enough clearance under the PCB to run the JST cable)
  • If it is tray mount, the center and bottom row standoffs should be removable
  • Cases that require PCB cutouts for screw posts (or WKL blockers) like the QK60 will not fit. ("Screwless" cases will often have screw posts that go through the PCB)
  • Gummy o-ring cases will need to have mounting posts that align with the edge cuts on the PCB renders
  • If the case has a "gasket" mounting system with poron strips or silicon socks, it will likely require a custom plate
There are dozens, maybe hundreds of 60% cases that the Promenade will fit in. I have only tested a few, so I can't guarantee fitment for all the popular 60% cases out there. If anyone has wants to know about a specific case, ask me on Discord or email and I can see if a case is likely to fit. The Promenade should fit anything that the Boardwalk fit.

Here are some cases that I saw people build Boardwalks in:
  • BBox60 (Required modification)
  • Brutal 60
  • Grid 600
  • KBDFans 5° Acrylic case (Requires a Dremel or file to remove standoffs)
  • Mojo 60
  • Polaris
  • Salvation
  • Saturn 60
  • Sirius
  • Tofu60 V2, Tofu 2.0
  • XD60 from kprepublic

Offline splodeybaloney

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 08:50:40 »
The little bit of info I've got for checking case compatibility is to hope that it lists "GH60" compatibility. I went through this when building my Lumberjack board and settled on the BBox 60 case, but also as mentioned just mainly look for the two mounting posts on the left and right edges and that the USB-C port is in the upper left corner. It really is like the majority of 60% cases should probably work.

I've also placed my order and am hoping to get it in my Salvation case, if I can find the right 3u SA spacebars and fill out a set of ice caps from PMK.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
Update April 20

PCBs and FR4 plates have arrived. QC is in progress.