Author Topic: Buying my first keyboard case  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Dagrylls

Buying my first keyboard case
« on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 20:37:46 »
So I recently purchased a set of Alpaca Switches for the keyboard I plan to build. I am SO lost on where to go to find the rest of the board though. I've checked out a few "Starter Kits"? that seem to have everything except the switches and the keycaps, but they are always sold out with 300 person wait lists. I don't know exactly what to even be searching for and what all I will need. From my understanding; Case, PCB, mounting plate, stabilizers, and keycaps. But sometimes it can be hard to tell what is all included in these keyboards i'm looking at. Any recommendations or just general knowledge for a very new enthusiast of the field?

Offline Dagrylls

Re: Buying my first keyboard case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 20:52:24 »
Also, when buying keycaps, how do I know what to get for to match the PCB I buy? The one i'm looking at right now has arrow keys whereas some others do not if that makes sense. I want to make sure i buy a set that matches my case/PCB

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 21:49:41 »
Generally, case pcb and plate are always included unless otherwise specified. For most boards you will need 4x 2u stabs and one 6.25 or 7u.

Generally for keycaps, the listing will have an image displaying all the sizes and keyboards will also usually have some kind of layout that is shown telling you what caps you need

Offline Dagrylls

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 22:38:43 »
Any recommendations for good cases to get? I'd go for the Tofu65 but am on a 400 person waitlist right now:(

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 01:50:52 »
honestly i typed for 3 months on a keyboard without a case (same issue the case i wanted in the right color was in back order) and it works, as for key caps it really depends on what brand you take, most chinese kits will either come as a full 100% kit or will be declined by keyboard size, SP in the other hand will separate alpha and mods and you pretty much always need both for any common size. it will really depend on what size and layout board you chose to go with, if you need us to verify that your parts should work together you can post your list here and we will give our advice on it, well at least i will, maybe not right away but in the 24 hours likely.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 20:04:33 »
What form factor (or latout) are you looking for?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68