Author Topic: Cherry G80-11900 Keyboard Black On eBay $34.99 Shipped  (Read 11291 times)

Offline punkpc

Cherry G80-11900 Keyboard Black On eBay $34.99 Shipped
« on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:46:07 »
Didn't know if anyone saw these or not yet. Pretty good price for a black G80-11900 LUMEU-2

Should be MX Blacks with Lasered keycaps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252025896449?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Cherry G80-11900 Keyboard Black On eBay $34.99 Shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 11:47:53 »
I got one, and it's awesome. PCB mounted modern Cherry MX Black switches, lasered key caps. Not the most collectible board but a cheap and surprisingly practical one.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:14:49 »
Nice! A new board with Cherry switches will run you at least $90–100, and the switches in these should be indistinguishable from them, even though they've been used for a while... And if the photo is any example, these haven't been used much at all.

And even though these were intended as POS boards, they don't have built-in card readers, which make boards like this less compact, and which few of us would ever use.

punkpc: Don't some of these have the slightly stiffer Cherry Whites? The MX 8100's recently sold on eBay did. Either way, I vastly prefer the stiffer switches, as they make it the easiest to type without bottoming out. (Cherry MX switches actuate halfway through their travel, so pressing them any farther than that is wasted time and effort.)

XMIT: Glad to see you got one of these—you don't have nearly enough KBs IMHO.  :?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:30:55 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:34:36 »
DT confirms this series does indeed have Cherry MX Blacks. (The OP probably checked this before posting.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 02:36:05 »
Wow, still only 3 sold out of "more than 10". People don't realize what a great deal this is. You could buy a new, basic Cherry MX Black board like a Steelseries 6Gv2 for over $100—or you could get one of these, virtually the same thing in a slightly different form factor (and actually more interesting, I think) for 1/3 as much.

Uh-oh, I feel my credit card heating up... Someone put on some oven mitts and take it away from me, will you?

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 03:04:23 »
I'd totally take one but I don't like blacks and the seller doesn't ship to Australia.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 08:06:10 »
I wouldn't mind proxying these for either of you. You're both buying other keyboards anyway. Let me know. :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 17:45:03 »
I wouldn't mind proxying these for either of you. You're both buying other keyboards anyway. Let me know...

XMIT, in the rehab world, I think you're the kind of person who'd be referred to as an enabler.  :?)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 19:50:01 »
Wow, still only 3 sold out of "more than 10". People don't realize what a great deal this is. You could buy a new, basic Cherry MX Black board like a Steelseries 6Gv2 for over $100—or you could get one of these, virtually the same thing in a slightly different form factor (and actually more interesting, I think) for 1/3 as much.

Uh-oh, I feel my credit card heating up... Someone put on some oven mitts and take it away from me, will you?

I think that since there's 23 days left to buy this (and will most likely be relisted automatically) doesn't give me any urgency to buy it...it's definitely on my watch list though.  :thumb:

Offline Nover

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 19:59:19 »
Would rather get this one: www.ebay.com/itm/391199629305
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 04:27:40 »
Would rather get this one: www.ebay.com/itm/391199629305

Why would you want to add $15.80 shipping for what seems like virtually the same board?

And will people please stop posting here and bringing this to my attention again?  :?P

Offline Nover

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 05:50:02 »
Well, if you want a reply, you need to accept there's a post along with it. And to answer your question, the keycaps are double-shots.
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline punkpc

Offline punkpc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 05:55:04 »

punkpc: Don't some of these have the slightly stiffer Cherry Whites? The MX 8100's recently sold on eBay did. Either way, I vastly prefer the stiffer switches, as they make it the easiest to type without bottoming out. (Cherry MX switches actuate halfway through their travel, so pressing them any farther than that is wasted time and effort.)

These are for sure MX Blacks. As for the Cherry whites, do you mean stiffer clears (tactile, but they call them white because of their milky color) or actual stiffer whites (clicky)? If you mean the old clears. These are great! I bought a old Cherry POS board with the card reader, just to harvest the switches from. They are well worth the trouble of pulling from the board to use on other projects. I prefer clicky switch, but everyone in my office prefer I did not have them. Haha. So I modded my keyboard I use at work with those vintage clears and greys. Then used greens on the lock keys and blues in my arrows, just so I didn't loose all click  ;) I love this configuration so much, that I will also be doing it on my customer phantom build.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:44:07 by punkpc »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:00:07 »
Quote from: ander
Why would you want to add $15.80 shipping for what seems like virtually the same board? And will people please stop posting here and bringing this to my attention again?  :?P

Quote from: Nover
Well, if you want a reply, you need to accept there's a post along with it...

So I'm required to be serious now? (Did my wife tell you to say that?)

Quote from: Nover
And to answer your question, the keycaps are double-shots.

That's a good reason. Okay then.

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 22:07:10 »
Thanks for the find OP, I just picked one up

Trying to track down a 6u spacebar to toss onto it ( other than SP TAA black ) Xd

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 15:14:49 »
Picked this up as my first mech keyboard. Thanks for the post!

Any recommendations for a good keyset or any other mods?

Offline punkpc

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 17:07:55 »

Still trying to find a good mix for mine. I have some keys I got off of 7bits Round 5 Left overs I'm trying with it.

These are all from the "Midnight Set" http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/midnight-alpha-base-kit/

Or at least the extras I was able to get.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 12:54:58 »
If anyone cares, seller took 7% off.

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 01:05:50 »

Still trying to find a good mix for mine. I have some keys I got off of 7bits Round 5 Left overs I'm trying with it.

Show Image

These are all from the "Midnight Set" http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/midnight-alpha-base-kit/

Show Image

Show Image

Or at least the extras I was able to get.

Okay this looks pretty sweet. Looks like there are a few 'leftover' sets from past groupbuys on there. Thanks for the pic!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:58:58 »
This is back up, surprised the price didn't drop :|

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:59:07 »
Recieved mine in the mail the other day. Absolutely blown away. I find myself typing on this thing even when my comp is off. Mechanical has a new follower.

Thanks agian for the post.

-Enjoying being a part of the geekhack community so far.

Offline punkpc

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 22:43:20 »
Recieved mine in the mail the other day. Absolutely blown away. I find myself typing on this thing even when my comp is off. Mechanical has a new follower.

Haha... welcome to the addiction.  :))

I got hooked (again... first Mechanical were in the 80s for me) around March this year. I know own 7 keyboards and I have a 60% with Gateron switch that I will be getting in next month from Massdrop and the parts to build a 60% Apple Alps keyboard also coming next month. The sad part is I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop there... haha. I'm sure I will build more custom keyboards in the future.

Since your just getting into it. I strongly recommend getting a switch tester to try the different types of switches. It help me narrow down the switch I like the most. (Blues, Greens, and Clears.) I have already switch all my switches to Blues and Green in this board. Blacks are nice, But I prefer the Click. Except at work I use Clears to at least get the Bump, so I'm not driving my co workers nuts with the "Click, Click, Click".  ;)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 03:01:15 »

Just please try other kinds of switches. Cherry is not the only kind.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 08:26:56 »

Haha... welcome to the addiction.  :))

I got hooked (again... first Mechanical were in the 80s for me) around March this year. I know own 7 keyboards and I have a 60% with Gateron switch that I will be getting in next month from Massdrop and the parts to build a 60% Apple Alps keyboard also coming next month. The sad part is I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop there... haha. I'm sure I will build more custom keyboards in the future.

Since your just getting into it. I strongly recommend getting a switch tester to try the different types of switches. It help me narrow down the switch I like the most. (Blues, Greens, and Clears.) I have already switch all my switches to Blues and Green in this board. Blacks are nice, But I prefer the Click. Except at work I use Clears to at least get the Bump, so I'm not driving my co workers nuts with the "Click, Click, Click".  ;)

That's awesome to hear. It is great that a good keyboard can really stand the test of time.

I'd really like to put a few together for myself eventually, but being a college student, that's not at the top of my list ATM.

As far as switching switches goes.. its a simple solder - correct?

Offline punkpc

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:50:20 »

That's awesome to hear. It is great that a good keyboard can really stand the test of time.

I'd really like to put a few together for myself eventually, but being a college student, that's not at the top of my list ATM.

That is the best part with Cherry boards (PCB Mounted Switches). They don't use a plate so you can just remove the tops and swap the Springs and Stems with out even soldering. Makes it super fast and easy to change around till you like your setup.

Like I have also now changed all the springs in my Blue switch on this board with the springs from some Black switches. I'll be trying this for a bit and see if I like it.

You will just need do get some Angled Tweezer. I bought these http://amzn.com/B00DVIEJ14. Good set for the money.

Then all you will need is some switches to harvest the Springs and Stems from.

This was my first board doing this trick with and it was a lot easier then dealing with de-soldering and soldering new switches in.

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 13:36:02 »

That is the best part with Cherry boards (PCB Mounted Switches). They don't use a plate so you can just remove the tops and swap the Springs and Stems with out even soldering. Makes it super fast and easy to change around till you like your setup.

Like I have also now changed all the springs in my Blue switch on this board with the springs from some Black switches. I'll be trying this for a bit and see if I like it.

You will just need do get some Angled Tweezer. I bought these http://amzn.com/B00DVIEJ14. Good set for the money.

Then all you will need is some switches to harvest the Springs and Stems from.

This was my first board doing this trick with and it was a lot easier then dealing with de-soldering and soldering new switches in.

Alright I saw a video of this trick on youtube but was questioning the legitimacy of the method. That's super sweet.

I appreciate the pointers!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 03:26:41 »
Man—over two weeks later, and the deal's still on. You're not going to do much better than that (even if the keys aren't double-shot).

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 17:02:31 »
I grabbed the miami vice set from tai-hao. Spacebar, windows keys, alt, and ctrl keys didn't fit. Currently looking for a spacebar.

Love the feel of PBT keys!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 03:29:31 »
Those keys are making my breath all minty fresh, just looking at them.

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:26:21 »
Great board - Heres mine!

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 15:05:24 »
How's the touch pad?   If it's there I thought of see if it's worth using.  I have two monitors so it looks a little small.

Why are double shot keys much better than laser cut? 

Offline figit090

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 06:16:23 »
Show Image

Really weird...I stumbled upon this on instagram...

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 10:06:13 »
How's the touch pad?   If it's there I thought of see if it's worth using.  I have two monitors so it looks a little small.

Doubleshot keys have the longevity advantage.  Since any wear you put into the plastic will equally wear the legend and the cap color(which will be minimal). 

I think I repsponded to you on on IG, but the touchpad is decent, and of high enough resolution to work on my 1080p display.  i use it from time to time when i need to jump between text fields and Tab isnt behaving properly.  All in all its a great board for 35 bucks and the vintage blacks are soooooooooo smooothhhhhhh

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:05:06 »
It's amazing how good KBs can look, considering we're not supposed to look at them when we use them. It's like driving a cool-looking car: To use it properly, you must resist the urge to stick your head out the window and admire it. Let's hear it for these ironically good-looking yet unobserved-when-in-use things.

Doubleshot keys have the longevity advantage...

What really gives your keys the "longevity advantage" is taking a moment to wash your hands before you start typing. I haven't seen anyone mention this on GH, but it's huge. It's true that some people's skin is naturally acidic, but it's the exception rather than the rule. More keyboard wear results from abrasively dirty fingers than anything else. If you wash your hands before you type, even pad printing can last a long time.

Trouble is, most people are in too much of a hurry to bother. And yet, would you caress your sweetheart with dirty hands? This seems like a valid question, as many people here seem to have more serious relationships with their KBs than with people.

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 22:32:29 »
It's amazing how good KBs can look, considering we're not supposed to look at them when we use them. It's like driving a cool-looking car: To use it properly, you must resist the urge to stick your head out the window and admire it. Let's hear it for these ironically good-looking yet unobserved-when-in-use things.

What really gives your keys the "longevity advantage" is taking a moment to wash your hands before you start typing. I haven't seen anyone mention this on GH, but it's huge. It's true that some people's skin is naturally acidic, but it's the exception rather than the rule. More keyboard wear results from abrasively dirty fingers than anything else. If you wash your hands before you type, even pad printing can last a long time.

Trouble is, most people are in too much of a hurry to bother. And yet, would you caress your sweetheart with dirty hands? This seems like a valid question, as many people here seem to have more serious relationships with their KBs than with people.

Clean hands is a pretty good rule of thumb. I do the same before playing the guitar (in the least douche-iest way possible) to extend string life.

I co-sign your statement.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
...and a few now for $32.52 shipped
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 04:09:59 »
And here are a few of these for just $32.54 shipped (gosh, how can you resist?):

Cherry G80-11900 Touchpad Keyboard USB POS - Black

Although as I post this, the listing expires in just 18 hours!

Offline figit090

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 04:19:41 »

Doubleshot keys have the longevity advantage.  Since any wear you put into the plastic will equally wear the legend and the cap color(which will be minimal). 

I think I repsponded to you on on IG, but the touchpad is decent, and of high enough resolution to work on my 1080p display.  i use it from time to time when i need to jump between text fields and Tab isnt behaving properly.  All in all its a great board for 35 bucks and the vintage blacks are soooooooooo smooothhhhhhh

Thank you!  I am tempted to get the APC board, but how do you know if a key is doubleshot from the images, I don't know the printing pattern differences.  Right now I have browns and I can usually type without bottoming out to badly because of the tactile feedback.  Not sure if I could do that with blacks...  Your last two words make it tempting, however.

Clean hands is a pretty good rule of thumb. I do the same before playing the guitar (in the least douche-iest way possible) to extend string life.

I co-sign your statement.

You can wipe them off to help remove sweat and help prevent corrosion too, that's what I try to do.

I have a white desk and a white Kinesis Classic, thankfully I also have clean hands most of the time and rarely eat at the computer without having a towel to clean my hands.  It's nice having tools that tell me when I'm being too dirty, haha.

And here are a few of these for just $32.54 shipped (gosh, how can you resist?):

Cherry G80-11900 Touchpad Keyboard USB POS - Black

Although as I post this, the listing expires in just 18 hours!

Thanks!  Still hesitant, and dunno if I want the APC with doubleshots especially since I'd likely use the board for a bit and sell it, or just not use it.  I love my kinesis classic, and I actually won a Kinesis Freestyle Blue from Kinesis too, so I have two nice ergo boards...makes going to a staggered board REALLY a tough decision.  ALSO I have wrist issues because I've been on the computer with bad posture too much lately.

I do have a $50 ebay certificate to blow, but I think I have to spend it on something more than $50 to save the full amount..haha.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 13:41:38 »
Annnd bought.  :)

And even if I'm not too fond if it, I can just sell it again without too much of a problem.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 13:47:43 »
Ordered one for my mom. She has to use her mouse on a different level than her keyboard. @-@ If it works out she'll also take it to work ;) Her boss uses BS.

(and it looks like there is only one left)

(these are gone, feel free to let us know if seller reposts)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 August 2015, 17:39:15 by Lain1911 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 20:00:55 »
Ordered one for my mom...

I think she'll like it. They're pretty cute, and pleasant to type on.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:35:43 »
I got my board in and my "question mark" and "five" key where not working and just opted out of fixing and asked for a refund, And he just said "Keep the keyboard, I'll just refund you"

So I got a free keyboard.... :))

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:36:50 »
I ended up getting two. The second arrived with a cracked Insert key (and many loose but working keys) on account of poor packing.

I will probably put some vintage MX Clear switches on one of them. :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:37:40 »
Sorry to hear your boards weren't perfect. Wish I'd ordered one too, though, as it seems like there was a good chance of ending up with a free one!

Air tree, are you going to replace those switches? If you need some, XMIT can probably get some to you inexpensively enough.

Offline drewba

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 16:59:13 »
Show Image

That is effin beautiful! I keep thinking about buying a white G80 to put TA on...

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 18:59:27 »
Is there anyway to change the mouse sensitivity or do some custom keys? Thanks.

Offline punkpc

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 08:13:43 »
Show Image

This looks great!

Offline punkpc

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 08:16:53 »
Is there anyway to change the mouse sensitivity or do some custom keys? Thanks.

Not without a 3rd party software. I use mine on a iMac and use Karabiner to arrange my keys to a Mac layout. I'm sure there is one for PC I have just not tried one.