Author Topic: Pressure Pot - ArtMolds vs CA Tech? Or some other brand? & need Pump suggestions  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
As title says.

Also, for making bubble free MOLDS (not casts), is just using a pressure pot okay? or will I HAVE to have a vacuum as well?

For pressure pots I had my eye on the ArtMolds https://www.artmolds.com/pressure-pot.html 
because of price, but I noticed that the maximum PSI was only 50 and that made me feel a little uncomfortable since resin casts are supposed be done at around 40psi IIRC.

So I saw the CA Technologies one (2.5gal size). Costs more money but seems to be much safer due to the 80 PSI max. http://www.finishsystems.com/resincastingpressurepots.html

What do you guys think?

Or a different pressure pot?

Hoping to spend no more than $500 on a pressure pot set.

ALSO, Need PUMP recommendations please! 
Reddit: /u/Komatoz

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
1. The Artmolds pressure pot uses the design that screws down into the lid, which will eventually lead to failure over time. I recommend you stay away from pots with these designs. I started with one myself, and it immediately had issues. Plus, 40 PSI doesn't give you a lot of headroom.

2. I own several CA Technologies pots, and they're great. They use a totally different method of securing the lid to the pot, specifically one that won't get you killed. The pots are very sturdy. The next step up would be Binks, but in terms of price/performance, I think CA Technologies is great. Finish Systems is a great company and they ship quickly.

Here's how the whole vacuum vs pressure thing works: Both are really essential, but if you could pick only one, I would choose a pressure pot first, and then get vacuum later. Vacuum is really great for getting the bubbles out of thick silicone, but if you're just starting, you're going to see more results from a pressure setup.

If you're also looking into vacuum setups, take a look at bestvaluevacs.com. They're helpful over there and can point you in the right direction.

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
1. The Artmolds pressure pot uses the design that screws down into the lid, which will eventually lead to failure over time. I recommend you stay away from pots with these designs. I started with one myself, and it immediately had issues. Plus, 40 PSI doesn't give you a lot of headroom.

2. I own several CA Technologies pots, and they're great. They use a totally different method of securing the lid to the pot, specifically one that won't get you killed. The pots are very sturdy. The next step up would be Binks, but in terms of price/performance, I think CA Technologies is great. Finish Systems is a great company and they ship quickly.

Here's how the whole vacuum vs pressure thing works: Both are really essential, but if you could pick only one, I would choose a pressure pot first, and then get vacuum later. Vacuum is really great for getting the bubbles out of thick silicone, but if you're just starting, you're going to see more results from a pressure setup.

If you're also looking into vacuum setups, take a look at bestvaluevacs.com. They're helpful over there and can point you in the right direction.

Honored to have the legendary Keyforge give me some input <3

As for the vacuum pressure thing, is it possible to cure the mold inside the pressure? or is that just a horrible idea?

I already have been making stuff freehand, but I just wanna be able to cast crytal clear stuff with the assistance of pressure haha.
Also, how do I go about looking into the different pumps for the pots/vacuum?

Tried looking up information about it, but found a ton of discussion of the pots and chambers themselves, but an extreme lack on pumps.

I definitely plan to pick up vacuum later on but because of my limited funds, decided to invest in a pressure first.
Reddit: /u/Komatoz