Author Topic: Phantom/QFR/Filco TKL 100% Open Source Acrylic Case  (Read 276276 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Phantom/QFR/Filco TKL 100% Open Source Acrylic Case
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:15:29 »
I've setup the SVG generator, now you can generate the plate based on your choice: http://mozkb.comoj.com/TKLCase/

Right now the stab cutouts should work with Costar and both Cherry types for all plates less than or equal to 1.5mm, for thicker acrylic plates it will support Costar via gluing.

I'll add option for Cherry PCB mounted stabs for thick mounting plates later.

P.S: Generated SVG will show an error right now (But you can view the generated SVG), this is due to the added text by the free web hosting. If someone has a small server and they could lend me some resource on it, it would be excellent.

Sorry for the plane-jane layout, I'm not much of a web designer. :-/

Sweeeeettttt!!!! Thanks for all your hard work Moz!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:21:41 »
Next up, is to add the mentioned Cherry PCB mount stab plate option, then the other parts of the case.

Obviously there will be a number of tops (12), so I have to add that as well. Then we'll be done here and move on to other designs. When they too are done, I will revisit to add fancies, like thicker bevel, right-angle edges, etc. These changes can be done easily in a vector editing program, thus have lower priority.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 20:25:16 »
The files I received at your page, MOZ, wouldn't load into Inkscape. I fixed it with a bit of fiddling in gvim, however.

At the end of the generated XML code is some sort of page-counter. Manually deleting everything before <SVG xmlns
and after </svg> let Inkscape, firefox, and Irfanview render it without difficulty.

Not necessarily anything you need to change at your end, I just wanted to pipe up in-thread in case someone else was having similar troubles.

So, is your page auto-generating those from a formula, or calling them up from a saved list? It'd be cool to have an ALPS WKL/TKL plate; you'd just have to replace the definition of a switch cutout if it's auto generated. But if they're saved files, well, that's a bit more work I'd imagine.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 20:35:49 »
It's conditional. It adds elements which are hard coded (Got them via SVG export) based on user choices. Alps plate will come though :)

Regarding the extra text, yeah, that is due to the free host, I am looking for a small hosting space if available from someone here.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 23:22:11 »
It's conditional. It adds elements which are hard coded (Got them via SVG export) based on user choices. Alps plate will come though :)

Regarding the extra text, yeah, that is due to the free host, I am looking for a small hosting space if available from someone here.

PM'd you re: hosting

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 23:30:06 »
Thanks to infiniti: http://www.moz.twisted-artworx.com/TKLCase/

These new SVGs should work just fine.

Offline goonx

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:10:19 »
Thanks for doing this guys. Probably once I get a bit more time I can contribute to this. I'm probably looking to fine tune the aesthetics
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:13:39 by goonx »

Offline christkind

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:49:56 »
Amazing work. One quick question, does your final design work with the phantom plate?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:08:32 »
Amazing work. One quick question, does your final design work with the phantom plate?
Pretty sure that his final work here is the phantom plate.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline DamienG

• DamienG

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:50:54 »
Yes,  I just need to post the final design,  it will work with the phantom plates.

Offline christkind

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:23:31 »
Pretty sure that his final work here is the phantom plate.

Should have stated that I was referring to his work on the acrylic case, I think they are just alternative plates for the phantom for his case.

Yes,  I just need to post the final design,  it will work with the phantom plates.

Thanks! Can't wait to try out the final design on my phantom :)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:36:13 »
So is the final design a set of SVGs for the different layers of an acrylic case?

Offline metal1091

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 17:26:05 »
any news on a final budget design? I'd love to use this for my phantom build

Offline geniekid

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 17:51:17 »
I think Moz may be taking a break due to unfortunate circumstances.

Offline metal1091

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:27:04 »
sad to hear that.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 02:39:04 »
What happened to this project? Is it still on halt?

I am really interested in a Phantom case and would be willing to build one with this files (thinking about wood or aluminium).
I will use a Phantom PCB and Plate.
Are there any dwg files available, which support these?

Since MOZ has issues, has any of the prototypers a file I can use?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 03:39:35 »
You can use the link above to download a plate, and there should be some drawings a few pages back.

I might get back to this in the Christmas break, time depending, however if you have any queries, I'll be more than happy to help.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:40:01 »
Oh hey, MOZ himself :)

Actually I planned to manufacture the original Phantom plate, because I thought this will suit better to the Phantom plate.

I was just looking for a case/housing and stumbled over this post. Can I use the .dwg file you attached to your first post?
Will this be compatible to a original Phantom PCB + plate?
Or do you have the budget variant as a .dwg? Or anything else :P

It could possibly happen, that I start a groupbuy, after everything is cleared up.
I'm working at a cnc and laser machinery company (in Germany) and I'm able to get me some plates made here. (in aluminium or steel, have to ask about acrylic/wood).
Perhaps the case would be also an option, thus it is made of plates :)

Would be nice if I could prototype a bit with your stuff :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:42:25 by drrtyrokka »

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 02:21:05 »
Thanks for the detailed pics. Let me know if there were ANY issues at all, I would love to get them sorted out. So that is two out the park as compatibility goes, now waiting for ray to test out the budget style with a Phantom plate.

Hopefully soon!!! :D

Did this ever happen? Can I use the budget files for building one, or is it just a prototype?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 06:09:49 »
Thanks for the detailed pics. Let me know if there were ANY issues at all, I would love to get them sorted out. So that is two out the park as compatibility goes, now waiting for ray to test out the budget style with a Phantom plate.

Hopefully soon!!! :D

Did this ever happen? Can I use the budget files for building one, or is it just a prototype?

+1, I'd like to know if anything came out of this.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline wakko

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 10:44:09 »
+1
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline ocodo

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 07:14:03 »
Here is a new "budget" design which cuts on the amount of acrylic used drastically:

Show Image

Basically cutting up the spacer layer into smaller parts which can interlock and then since they are all bolted, I don't know if it would really affect the sturdyness of the keyboard or not, but would cost less for sure.

Is this available as an SVG (or DXF?)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:58:16 »
I know its a super nerco but I also wouldn't mind knowing if any of the files are floating around to get a case for the QFR cut somewhere as I happen to have the internals of one but no casing, if you do happen to have it floating around moz though :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 14:14:54 »
Will check what I have and post it, you guys can take it from there.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 11:42:46 »
Will check what I have and post it, you guys can take it from there.
Awesome your the best
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline nikchi

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 21:56:55 »
Necro and Happy new year!

Is there more information on how the QFR is actually mounted in this case?
I'm looking into making one for my QFR.

Any update on the latest case dxf files?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:17:21 »
Small update, I worked on the case files this weekend, however was occupied with some other work too so couldn't complete it. I am however on it and will soon have the files uploaded on GitHub.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 04:21:06 »
Small update, I worked on the case files this weekend, however was occupied with some other work too so couldn't complete it. I am however on it and will soon have the files uploaded on GitHub.
Eeeeeeeee
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:12:48 »
It's up! https://github.com/mohitg11/TKL-Case

Please let me know if there are any mistakes, so that I can correct them at the earliest.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 February 2016, 01:45:40 by MOZ »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 10:18:51 »
It's up! https://github.com/mohitg11/TKL-Case

Please let me know if there are any mistakes, so that I can correct them at the earliest.
:D

Thanks for this MOZ you the best
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:11:26 »
This is great! I've been wanting to give this design a try. I have two questions/comments about the latest files.

1. The QFR controller spacer has a funny offset above the arrow cluster. I understand that area is to accommodate the controller, but the alignment looks weird. Is that right?

2. The "inner" layers seem to be using hexagons for the hole cutouts, the outer layers are using circles. Is that intentional?

Thanks for maintaining and improving on this design all these years!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:56:51 »
This is great! I've been wanting to give this design a try. I have two questions/comments about the latest files.

1. The QFR controller spacer has a funny offset above the arrow cluster. I understand that area is to accommodate the controller, but the alignment looks weird. Is that right?

2. The "inner" layers seem to be using hexagons for the hole cutouts, the outer layers are using circles. Is that intentional?

To address #2, the hex cutouts are for an m2 riser, while the outer holes are for the actual screws. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:15:37 »

1. Alignment is as it should be, the controller on those boards isn't centered above the arrow cluster as would be expected.
2. As Badwrench said, that is to accommodate M3 hex standoffs which act as a couple between top and bottom flat head screws. The circular holes are just a hair smaller that the standard M3 flathead screw, so they sit almost flush with the acrylic.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 17:46:46 »
Hi,

I was hoping to get a couple questions answered - I've never had acrylic stuff cut for me, so this is all new (soldering the Phantom is the simple part for me).

1. I see numerous feet in the first section; is this a "pick the kind that suits" you kind of deal, or do I need all of them? I'm a bit lost here. I see the holes for the standoffs. (is there a sample image someone can show?)
2. How is the notch for the USB plug supposed to work? The teensy has the plug on its own board. Are you accommodating people who want to add a short male to female cable here?
3. Just to confirm, if I'm using the plate from mechanical keyboards fro the phantom, then I skip swill's tool, use the plate spacer and the spacer needs to match the plates thickness?
4. The instructions say to use a bezel, layer F. Layer F in the SVG is "QFR Controller Spacer" - G is the set of bezels. Is this an error?
5. Where is it recommended to get this cut? Is there a way to denote the scale of things on the SVG?

Thanks for all the work - this looks like an awesome project, and I'd love to go this route for making a Phantom!
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 09:06:52 »
Sorry for the very late reply, I somehow missed your post.

1. I see numerous feet in the first section; is this a "pick the kind that suits" you kind of deal, or do I need all of them? I'm a bit lost here. I see the holes for the standoffs. (is there a sample image someone can show?)
Sorry for making it so confusing, I should have made it clearer, basically... The large piece is required regardless of which PCB you are using. The feet spacer is only required for Phantom to accommodate the Teensy. Now, the two long pieces are required if you want to have a flat board, these can be used to balance out the positive incline by bolting these to the side close to the user. The circular ones are used to give a larger positive incline, just assemble them in a conical shape, number of layers used depends on the incline you want. I hope this clears up doubts, I'll post an illustration to clarify.

2. How is the notch for the USB plug supposed to work? The teensy has the plug on its own board. Are you accommodating people who want to add a short male to female cable here?
Yes, if you see, the notch is narrow on the edge of the case outline and then expands to accommodate a SparkFun miniUSB breakout board which you can bolt down into the large feet layer (There are four small mounting holes).

3. Just to confirm, if I'm using the plate from mechanical keyboards fro the phantom, then I skip swill's tool, use the plate spacer and the spacer needs to match the plates thickness?
If you use the plate from MK.com then yes, you don't need to generate a plate layer, you will however need at east one bezel layer

4. The instructions say to use a bezel, layer F. Layer F in the SVG is "QFR Controller Spacer" - G is the set of bezels. Is this an error?
Yes, typo, should be Layer G for Bezels.

Offline rampantandroid

Phantom/QFR/Filco TKL 100% Open Source Acrylic Case
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 16:47:54 »
Thanks for the reply, Moz!

I was wondering what the 4 holes around the USB plug hole were meant for - I figured it was some USB board, but didn't know which one. That's awesome that it is there!

With regards to feet, is there a general guideline on how thick to make the feet? (aka, how much rise above the front of the keyboard is generally "correct"? Another option I see for feet is using the GON style feet (I have two sets coming from massdrop and can easily 3D print some more of them.)

Edit: forgot to also ask - how would the Phantom plate from MK fit this case? Would it just get pinched between layers?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 07:11:04 by rampantandroid »
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 07:30:15 »
Additionally, and this might be a simple question....how on do I correctly edit SVG files? Inkscape isn't able to handle it in it's default form (looks like it's corel?) I ran the svg through this: https://petercollingridge.appspot.com/svg-editor

What I got out the other side I can kinda work with (it lets me select individual elements instead of EVERYTHING.)

Now, even getting past that, I'm a little unclear on how to line up Swill's plate with the plate layer in the SVG - I can see the crosshair and its dimensions - should just eyeball it? Or is there a specific x,y coordinate to align the plate with (right on the crosshair itself doesn't look right.)

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:01:33 by rampantandroid »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:49:51 »
With regards to feet, is there a general guideline on how thick to make the feet? (aka, how much rise above the front of the keyboard is generally "correct"?
People generally use 6-8 degrees, which means about 13 - 17mm.

Another option I see for feet is using the GON style feet (I have two sets coming from massdrop and can easily 3D print some more of them.)
They are 12mm in height and use M4 screws. The feet layer has cutouts for a hex standoff, so the M4 screw will fit in fine. Just skip the circular feet used to form a cone and use the Alu feet instead.

Edit: forgot to also ask - how would the Phantom plate from MK fit this case? Would it just get pinched between layers?
Yes, it will just be in place using friction from the layers above and below. The cutout in the space layer for the plate is according to the Universal plate made by WFD, if MK are using the same designs it should fit in quite snuggly. Also, the plate has a number of moutning holes which can also be used

Additionally, and this might be a simple question....how on earth do I correctly edit SVG files? Inkscape can't seem to make heads or tails of this - all I can do is select the entire SVG - I can't select individual vectors. Is there a better editor...or am I just missing something?
You'll have to use Paths -> Break Apart and then if you want to change any of the vector lines, use the Node tool.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 17:30:30 »
If I select all paths and break them apart, it just causes everything to get filled in black though?

Edit: OK, so going object - ungroup lets me access each item. Now, when I copy out a layer to a new SVG and try uploading it to big blue saw (just to see if I'm doing things right), everything ends up inverted - instead of it cutting out a hole for a standoff or a bolt, it cuts everything else off, leaving me with a small piece where the standoff would be.

OK, I finally figured this out, I think. The problem with BBS is that I was exporting it as a DXG, and the type of line that was selected (the default selection) was not correct. I don't understand why it wasn't correct, but once I changed the output type, it started working. I found that I did not want to do path -> break apart, but object -> ungroup. I then for my sake just added multiple layers to the SVG and dragged everything on top of the previous layer.

In the course of drag/dropping everything into one stack to mimic what the layers would be assembled, I seem to have found some mismatches in the bolt/standoff holes: the bottom & phantom spacer holes don't quite match up:

Hopefully I can get time with a laser cutter to try a simple test of cutting a single plate switch cutout and see that it fits.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:19:16 by rampantandroid »

Offline Xelus22

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:48:57 »
Is there any way to put in plate mounted stabs into a 3mm piece of acrylic?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 07:03:44 »

Yes, you can glue them in, but more than likely the stab wire will rub against the inside. 2mm works though (Using it with a Phantom)

Offline Xelus22

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 02:19:46 »

Yes, you can glue them in, but more than likely the stab wire will rub against the inside. 2mm works though (Using it with a Phantom)

I forgot to mention cherry stabs. So I'm not sure how that will work.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 02:29:31 »
I assumed Cherry stabs when I wrote my previous reply. With Costar it's much easier, you can just glue them in, the wire sits above the plate anyways.

Offline Xelus22

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 02:37:32 »
But wouldn't the front part of the stab and the wire itself be in the way of the acrylic? Will I have to try and sand or cut it down there?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 02:45:56 »
But wouldn't the front part of the stab and the wire itself be in the way of the acrylic? Will I have to try and sand or cut it down there?

With 2mm, I didn't face a problem, I can't perfectly recall if I had to clip something.

Offline Xelus22

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 02:50:26 »

With 2mm, I didn't face a problem, I can't perfectly recall if I had to clip something.

I'm talking about 3mm? Is would I have to cut down just below where the stabs hold onto?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 03:08:10 »
Stab wire will almost certainly rub against the acrylic, you will need a larger cutout for the wire as well as the lower part of the stabs. Why not use PCB mounted stabs or a thinner plate?

Offline Xelus22

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 03:35:34 »
the PCB itself doesn't support PCB stabs as it was made for plate mounted switches and stabs. Also because I bought the case + stabs + pcb + switches already and I just want to re-do the plate so I can have easily removable switch tops and change whenever without soldering

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 04:28:48 »
If you are getting the plate made, maybe you can check to see if 2mm plate would work?