Author Topic: From the JunkDrawer!  (Read 16186 times)

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
Re: Had my baby! Back to sculpting!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:11:00 »
I know that I probably should have - and I know this community is awesome, that's why I was so upset and felt the need to update, because the support that I've had thus far has been incredible and I wanted to be as open as possible with everyone. A side goal was that, if the person who actually did it saw my thread, they would know that it did make me sad and hopefully not repeat it at someone elses work. I do not need, nor want, punishment or drama, I can still make caps and am excited about all that I am learning - plus, I have a lot of caps I really want to make, so one being gone isn't *that* big of a deal, but postpartum hormones definitely made it seem very upsetting nonetheless.

Thank you for the congratulations, the growing family has been fun if not super challenging st first (I'm pretty sure I've begged him for sleep /at least/ a dozen times). I'm just glad he has the mercy to let me sculpt and sketch sometimes.
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:22:09 »
Hey, now that I've read your username, I think I sold you an Octo you wanted to give as a birthday present.  Did he like it?

Looking forward to watching your progress.  I'll second Sneaky Potato on the importance of keeping the cap height low.

Also, sorry to stir the pot earlier when you just wanted to keep a lid on it.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:21:15 »
You're totally fine :) I appreciate the concern, I really do!

You did! My husband loved it, it's sitting happily on the top row of his 60%. I was borderline jealous when it came in the mail, I love the granite look up close.

I'm getting better at the height, for sure, but the size in general is having a steep learning curve. I can't wait for the next synth, so I can hopefully get my hands on one.
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:02:29 »
Nothing shows you where your focus is needed like clear. I have now learned how unforgiving it can be. Still happy with the results, though!

164193-0

164195-1
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 10:36:09 »
Really nice texture on the spider.  I'm anxious to see some future caps once you get some thick stems and cap walls (I think you're synth shopping?  That would help.) and other designs.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 11:19:33 »
Thank you :) I definitely know I need to get a synth, I achieved thick walls on Chestie, but he's too big for high profile cases. Spidey and Cadbury were both built on regular old DSAs, so they aren't bad but I want stronger. Stems seem to be coming out perfect, probably because of the slow-set resin, but we are getting them out so slow do to the 48 hour time needed for curing (and the amount of money we have poured in so far, I'm not getting faster resin until I'm more steady).
Sculpt Happy

Offline Wylte

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:37:45 »
Hey, now that I've read your username, I think I sold you an Octo you wanted to give as a birthday present.  Did he like it?

Looking forward to watching your progress.  I'll second Sneaky Potato on the importance of keeping the cap height low.
I do indeed like it, thank you!
And she's finally taking that advice, checking fit and revising sculpts before falling in love and refusing to change them  :))
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:32:07 »
B

I do indeed like it, thank you!
And she's finally taking that advice, checking fit and revising sculpts before falling in love and refusing to change them  :))

Bite me, I love yeti - even if I have to remake him :P
Sculpt Happy

Offline Wylte

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 03:15:17 »
Got some Smooth-On 327 - work time pretty much the same, but cap turnaround just dropped from 48 hours to 4.  Feels like the end of an era.

Building up our A stock, feeling pretty good about all this!

Offline libertycannon

Re: From the JunkDrawer...keycaps :D
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 20:45:33 »
looking awesome!!

Offline wishful_cynic

Re: From the JunkDrawer... Yeti has returned! :D
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 09:58:26 »
Did you make those caps with the little hearts on top?

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 10:23:56 »
looking awesome!!

Thank you :)

Did you make those caps with the little hearts on top?

Hi again! :D
I'm sorry, I'm not sure which one you mean? What picture is it you're asking about?
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 10:36:41 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=87591.0;attach=164405;image

Sorry, not sure how to reply to an image but above is the link.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 10:54:59 »
You're good :D if you mean my arrow keys then no, those are the alveeno paw caps, I just have top lights so it kills the lighting on the top of them.
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 11:11:05 »
Ooh they look like hearts in that pic lol

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 11:23:45 »
Yeaaaah, my lighting/camera combo is potato-ey. I plan on taking better pictures later but just tend to get overly excited to share that I don't. Maybe today when we get a couple more casts out I'll take a picture of the crazy that has taken over our office lol.
So far I have made Cadbury (bunny), Spidey (spider), Chestie (treasure chest), and Yeti (little horned monster dude on my husbands board). Yeti has been the biggest pain in the ass yet, but he's also my favorite so I'm excited to take actual pictures of him in an actually pretty colorway. My husband is also working on his own blanks, but I'm sure he will share pictures of those later :)
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:16:50 »
I love a dank blank.

Chestie is a really novel sculpt btw.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 20:31:09 »
I love a dank blank.

Chestie is a really novel sculpt btw.

Thank you so much :) I'm hoping to redo him soon with more inset style eyes, plus a variation of him to match - but I do really love him. He's also been our least-difficult mold, so we have a good number of him now lol.
Sculpt Happy

Offline Wylte

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 19:31:36 »
Baby got needy at the wrong time, resin turned into a measuring cup instead of keycaps  :))

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
Re: From the JunkDrawer... looking for spare parts!
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 01:14:56 »
Stanley's humble beginnings! First edition, probably gonna be remade a few times.
168874-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 May 2017, 19:01:30 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 04:04:22 »
Lucky enough to have gotten my hands on a :~$ynth - I feel like this is the start of a new phase in my sculpting and I'm so excited :)

For right now, I'm trying to get used to sculpting on it, but I will be working on a couple new projects over the next few weeks as the baby god allows; including (hopefully) a new little monster friend for Yeti!

For now, here's one of my sculpting exercises: a lucky little ladybug :D
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 19:14:33 »
Welcome back, Chestie!.. also, welcome to the pack Bixlow!

Chestie works 100% in a 1.25 - I'm so happy that I can't even express it. Bixlow is still having some problems with caps being directly in front and behind him due to his mouth and tail. The main problem is his mouth catching DSA keys. Not quite sure how I'm going to fix it, or if I'm going to have to remake him, but we will see! 178044-0
178046-1
178048-2
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
Re: From the JunkDrawer!
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 22:23:37 »
It's been like 7 years, but I wanted to come back here and post some of the flocking journey we've been on lately! Plus some sculpts we've done since we left that may, or may not, be actually cast in resin (since I was a lunatic and made too many at a time).
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2023, 22:28:40 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy