Author Topic: First Conversion | IBM Model F AT | ANSI, Spacebar, Flossmod, Soarers  (Read 4961 times)

Offline lions2

Pictured below is my first keyboard mod which is ~95% done.
I was lucky enough to purchase an IBM Model M and Model F XT on the cheap for parts to accomplish this (still missing L-ALT and Up Arrow (not pictured) keycaps) I have the R-ALT, but both will need to be taken down a bit as it sticks under the case by a millimeter or so.

As you can see the spacebar is currently replaced with a caps lock key.. I cannot get the Model M spacebar to actuate properly!

Pictured to the right of the spacebar is a washer (I have two) which I attempted to retrofit around the barrels below the 'C' and '<' keycaps.
The spacebar's stabilizer bar was then sandwiched between the washers and the barrel plate, but to no avail. The flossmod is also done which removes the 'ping' completely without any other noticeable effect. It is literally a dream to use.

How would I set it up such that my L-CTRL + F1-F8 would be able to act as F9-F16? (using Soarer's)
I tried a function layer, but that completely removed the normal functionality of L-CTRL

Does anyone more experienced have tips on getting my model M spacebar to actuate?
Bonus points if I don't have to take it all apart again.

Thank you so much for viewing!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2017, 21:31:53 by lions2 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: First Conversion | IBM Model F AT | ANSI, Spacebar, Flossmod, Soarers
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 18:58:17 »
The easy way to stabilize the space bar is by using 7/16" SAE washers as wcass discovered.

I have tried many other washers (stock and modified, including fiber and rubber) and none work as well as the 7/16" SAE.

Otherwise, in my guide I show bending tabs out of sheet metal and using epoxy to adhere them.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48288.msg1034243#msg1034243
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline lions2

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 21:30:46 »
Cool, I've ordered two 7/16" SAE washers online (could not find them locally!) and will follow up.

I was lucky enough to pick up two black buckling spring keyboards from eBay this week; An IBM Model M13 13H6705 and Unicomp UB20416. The former has one piece caps which I am really excited for. Whichever one I like least will be donating the complete black keycap set to this Model F (thus completing my dream keyboard)

I've also figured out how to best remap LCTRL + F1 to be F9, etc if anyone else is ever curious:
Code: [Select]
macroblock
macro F1 LCTRL
PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
PRESS F9
POP_ALL_META
endmacro
endblock

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 17:59:24 »
Is there any picture of the washers put in place with the spacebar wire? thanks

How does the modded spacebar feel compared to the original spacebar? Is it wobblier or just as smooth? I wonder if the work is worth the effort, or if I can just live with it, by making the spacebar softer (modifying the curvature of the wire, but how much?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 18:01:52 by Giorgio »