Author Topic: New to make caps, resin paint cap  (Read 4505 times)

Offline snownow

New to make caps, resin paint cap
« on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 03:26:58 »

This caps inspiration from my nail gel and japan artist Mr.Fukahori. http://goldfishing.info/works/resins.html

Model
this one is first I did, get highest space and easy to painting.
Use i-rock brick cap with LEGO 2x2 brick.
More

Tool
More

Find some watercolor pen small as you can.

color ink/ color powder/ UV resin / UV nail gel / Acrylic paint

My place can't use vacuum pump, so I use this, it's help a bit, better than nothing.

Magnifier , the paint area is really small , must need one  :cool:

Process
More

practice

This is how it work, one layer resin-> paint -> one more layer resin -> paint . use each layer shadow make the paint looks like 3D.
You can use normal resin but each layer need wait for over 24hrs, thats why I choose UV resin.

My first handmade keycap in life  ;D

Sec one with the LEGO model, its much easiar to paint but too high for OEM profile.

Turn to side, will see the layer I paint.

other fishes caps :
More

Improve
I feel this is too slow, so I try to find one way to speed up the craft.
Try to spread out the paint / resin work, than I can paint and edit easier
More

other caps I'm making.
More

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 August 2017, 04:13:58 by snownow »

Offline snownow

Re: New to make caps, resin paint cap
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 22:26:28 »

failed stem  :(

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 22:58:32 »
Looks great!  Love the Zelda themed ones!  Keep it up :)

Offline klaushouse

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 23:54:09 »
Beautiful, love the layering!

Offline snownow

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 04:07:39 »

The CAT's paw area is soft!   8)

But Taiwan's keycaps's model looks damage.....I think I need rebuild new one.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 13:04:55 »

Show Image

My place can't use vacuum pump, so I use this, it's help a bit, better than nothing.

What is this thing called? I am interested in one haha.

Also your methodd reminds me of this Japanese guy Riusuke Fukahori. :thumb:

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 16:22:26 »
this is amazing and u are incredibly talented BUT stop killing yourself with the layered paint. just make it out of clay and paint it. then it will look better from the sides also. or just keep it a flat layer, which really seems fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 16:26:51 »
and whats the deal with no vacuum pump? they really aren't too loud, smelly, dangerous, etc. mine is not much louder than a microwave and puts off a puff of smoke after it runs for 2 minutes, but it is literally a little puff. i think u should get one. it will make ur molds professional quality

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline klaushouse

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:23:00 »
I actually disagree, I think the layering is fun and unique and adds some artistic beauty to it!

Love the soft key, wonder how it fits and works ?

Offline snownow

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 21:08:38 »

Show Image

I think its call food storage vacuum containers.

And yes, my idea from Mr.Fukahori, I posted his website at first post too lol
his art work is really beautiful!

this is amazing and u are incredibly talented BUT stop killing yourself with the layered paint. just make it out of clay and paint it. then it will look better from the sides also. or just keep it a flat layer, which really seems fine
and whats the deal with no vacuum pump? they really aren't too loud, smelly, dangerous, etc. mine is not much louder than a microwave and puts off a puff of smoke after it runs for 2 minutes, but it is literally a little puff. i think u should get one. it will make ur molds professional quality
I agree the clay will more easy to do and easy to get amount, there is an koi keycaps in reddit getting sale also use clay to made the fish.
but hand paint has special style that can't be replace, especially the caudal fin, I think only paint can looks transparent and float in water.

The vacuum pump really not too loud?  I ask my friend who has the pump, they said my neighborhood might call police if I use in midnight...
Bubble problem was troubled me , my vacuum foodsaver can help when I use silicone and epoxy but UV resin can't  :(

I actually disagree, I think the layering is fun and unique and adds some artistic beauty to it!
Thanks your love ;)
The soft key not use special skill, just get the model and use soft uv resin to fill out the paw part,
than epoxy fill out other part, I will do update when I do next keycat :D

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 21:35:57 »

Show Image

I agree the clay will more easy to do and easy to get amount, there is an koi keycaps in reddit getting sale also use clay to made the fish.
but hand paint has special style that can't be replace, especially the caudal fin, I think only paint can looks transparent and float in water.

The vacuum pump really not too loud?  I ask my friend who has the pump, they said my neighborhood might call police if I use in midnight...
Bubble problem was troubled me , my vacuum foodsaver can help when I use silicone and epoxy but UV resin can't  :(

Thanks your love ;)
The soft key not use special skill, just get the model and use soft uv resin to fill out the paw part,
yeah, i noticed the koi kaps the other day and i thought about u. sorry for ur luck bc both of your posts came within a week, so it really seems like it is a fluke that both of u were creating similar things at the same time, BUT i really wouldn't let it discourage u. a similar thing happened to me, and i take it as a sign that i have great ideas that will be successful one day. just keep working your craft and you'll find your niche, bc your super talented. and again i really think u should just paint one layer and clear coat the rest. to me it is an eye sour from the side angles. i mean it looks like a mistake. sorry, but thats my honest advice. best of luck

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 11:39:05 »

Show Image

Awesome thank you.

And sorry! Didn't read the first post properly, I just look at photos mostly ha  :D

Offline klaushouse

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 14:37:24 »
Thanks your love ;)

So cool. I can't wait to try this out myself!

Offline snownow

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 01:25:09 »
More

I bought this, got a lot improve of bubbles.
The motor sound is not much loud as I thought but still can't open it in midnight haha.

I stop craft few week for waiting this, now can start again  ^-^

One of seller gave some little rose as gift for me, planning to make all of them to caps :cool:

More

Test new silicone, I need the mold be transparent that I can use UV resin and use uv light throw into.

This one got crystal clear but easy to break, I'm try to use it in top face, stem side need use other silicone.

New material  :cool: UV color changing keycap, I have a lot idea for use this :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 September 2017, 03:27:10 by snownow »