Author Topic: Reasons to buy a 60% Keyboard  (Read 2010 times)

Offline hapibanana21

Reasons to buy a 60% Keyboard
« on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 12:52:54 »
I currently own a Tada68 together with a few full sized mechs right now and I absolutely love it. However, there is still a sense of emptiness in me since I originally planned to buy a true 60% keyboard which is what a pok3r is but went with Tada since I figured out that the arrow keys, pgup and pgdn would be useful in the long run. As I said, I am absolutely enjoying my Tada but if ever I am planning to buy a 60% keyboard, preferrably a custom one, what could be a good reason and a deal maker for me besides having different switches? I'm conflicted considering that the price for building a new one is very high and I could just spend it for a case and some keycaps.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: Reasons to buy a 60% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 13:12:39 »
I think purely having different switches is a good enough excuse to get another keyboard =P.

For me, I like 60s because I never use my right modifier keys. (shift, alt, win, ctrl) so they end up becoming arrows. If you don't use them either, it would be a chance to cut down on size.

Offline hapibanana21

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 01:47:24 »
Thanks! I think I'm gonna have to consider it some time. Never thought about having arrow keys in that kind of layout that as I don't use the right modifiers also.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 03:12:00 »
once you get used to the layers, dedicated arrow keys become unnecessary.
currently I have a 65% board, similar to Tada68, but I did not use the arrow keys at all.

if you want a 60% keyboard, I recommend you get a custom one as its keys can be programmed. Programmability is a plus for custom keyboards beside different switches.

Offline Petch

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:55:47 »
Why would you want to downgrade to a 60%? When selecting text you can already be holding 2 modifiers, would you really want to be pressing a third just to access the arrow/nav keys?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 15:23:14 »
When selecting text you can already be holding 2 modifiers, would you really want to be pressing a third just to access the arrow/nav keys?
Why would I do that?

Just enter selection mode and move around freely…

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 15:51:33 »
A programmable sixty could be configured to cover most of a PC user's needs, there are many PCBs and cases to choose from and most sets may accommodate a sixty.

Offline Descartes

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 18:35:49 »
I just got a 60 and have been loving it. Like, to death.

I use my keyboard for lots of writing, mainly in simple text editors for latex. I have tons of macros now programmed to cover lots of my basic needs and have moved a handful of uncomfortable keys (e.g., ` and \, both of which you have to use all the time in latex) and designed lots of key combinations in a way that I don't have to my hands off the home row. I haven't slowed down, and my hands don't have to stretch as awkwardly. And I have loved having the extra desk space!

Offline manolo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 19:18:57 »
Less hand movements, simple as that. When I got my first 60% keyboard, I was scared of the lack of dedicated arrow and function keys. But now I find having such keys accessible right under my finger with a function key waaaay more convenient than having to move my hand to reach some key elsewhere. Got nothing but 60% since I first got one, the only exception being my TKL Realforce.

Try it, love it and never go back !
WASD Code 104 keys (Cherry MX Clear)  -  KBP V60 Olivette (Matias Click)  -  KBP V60 Dolch (Matias Quiet Click)  -  Massdrop Infinity, bent metal plate, DSA Blank PBT (Zealio 78g) - Topre Realforce 87U (55g)