Author Topic: Fix my CMStorm project  (Read 2534 times)

Offline shogrran

Fix my CMStorm project
« on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 09:27:02 »
"Yea I didn't check. "

Anyway I have totally given up in getting support for my CMStorm quickfire rapid keyboard (Don't buy it, I don't recommend it. The switches may be durable but the keyboard itself is NOT)

I'd like to solve the problem myself.

I think the root cause of this problem I am having is the USB connection itself. The part where you plug in a USB cable is probably lose or the soldering isn't good enough. Or maybe in the multiple times I have unplugged the cable and replugged it back in, it went loose. (yea that's what she said)

I'd like to get some tips on how to just attach the cable directly into the board itself. I'd like to de-solder that female connector and then rip open the cable, solder the cable directly to the pcb, do some shrink tubing to cover the ends of the wires again.

I'd also like to get tips on how to cleanly do this.

1. what's a good way to cut into the plastic?
2. What do you call that rubber thingy that I can use at the end of the cable so that the end isn't just plastic to cable... (take a look at how your powercables are connected to your devices... there's a rubber sorta like covering or adapter or whatever you call it that hides the ends of the cable)

edit* is that called a rubber grommet? I'd like something that isn't so 'rough' trashy looking. The ones that allow your cable to bed at the joint.

Has anyone here tried that? Was it successful? Was it a good idea?

I'd also like to repaint my keyboard. Any tips on that too?

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 10:08:02 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Fix my CMStorm project
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 10:18:20 »
There's a 4-pin header on the bottom of the 'board. If you unscrew the USB subboard from the bottom, and steal a USB cable from elsewhere (Or just make one), you can get this to work.
http://i.imm.io/DSZ6.jpeg

Offline shogrran

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 10:33:50 »
actually now that i think about it... i don't even know how to open this thing up... all i see is one screw at the back... any disassembly guide?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:16:59 »
actually now that i think about it... i don't even know how to open this thing up... all i see is one screw at the back... any disassembly guide?

I just did this to bling my keyboard in the bling thread.

there are 4 plastic clips in the front, 4 in the back, evenly spaced.

Remove the single screw

Use a credit card to pry the front first.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:52:11 »
Thanks for the info on how to dis-assemble this keyboard. Imma try this thing out once I'm done for the night... (i dun have a spare keyboard at the moment LOL)
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:30:49 »

Remove the single screw

I pried mine apart with my hands, but I imagine using a nylon stick or credit card would help.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Fix my CMStorm project
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 00:08:48 »

Remove the single screw

I pried mine apart with my hands, but I imagine using a nylon stick or credit card would help.
did the same to my plu-87

Offline shogrran

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 06:39:03 »
I'd like to clarify one of the replies to this thread... (as I havent opened it up yet). So you mean to say that there is a 4 pin connector INSIDE the keyboard much like the one outside?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 07:09:24 »
I'd like to clarify one of the replies to this thread... (as I havent opened it up yet). So you mean to say that there is a 4 pin connector INSIDE the keyboard much like the one outside?

There are 2x 4 pin connectors INSIDE the board.

One the board of the bottom plate, and another one on the main board that's in the middle where all the keys are soldered to.

If the cord IS the issue, I would solder directly to the second board on the bottom, and NOT the main board, because i'd hate to melt something plastic by mistake.

Offline DaLurker

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 08:51:16 »
There's a two year warranty on these keyboards, could you get a replacement from Coolermaster?

Offline shogrran

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:09:31 »
There's a two year warranty on these keyboards, could you get a replacement from Coolermaster?

Plain and simple. NO.

This is what disappointed me with CMStorm. For a company that is this big... taking into consideration that CMStorm is also Coolermaster. They have VERY WEAK global support of their products.

This keyboard was bought in Singapore. And when I contacted CMStorm international support regarding my problem they informed me that I have to return the product to Singapore... even though.. I know for a fact that there is a local distributor of CMStorm here in the Philippines.

Some of the people here would reason out that that is just the way it is. BUT quite frankly, does the label on their boxes say CMStorm - Singapore? Or CMStorm Philippines? NO. The branding is "CMStorm" one company. They should be able to support their products globally, and even if not completely, AT LEAST have decent support on the places where they clearly have distributors.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline shogrran

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:13:01 »
Yea... I said it. CMStorm global support sucks. For a mechanical keyboard which supposedly boasts its durability, a regular 5$ cheapo rubber dome keyboard beat its ass in longevity. I hope someone from CMStorm reads this. I am going to continue to NOT recommend any of their products just because their support sucks.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline DaLurker

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 15:38:37 »
I understand, that's terrible. Looks like CMStorm really needs to step it up globally!

Good luck getting this fixed, I wish I could offer you some suggestions but I'm not knowledgeable enough in this area.