Author Topic: Recommendation for keyboard with trackpoint  (Read 3659 times)

Offline hibiscus

Recommendation for keyboard with trackpoint
« on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 14:47:08 »
I've been searching without much luck for a keyboard that has Cherry MX blue or brown switches and an integrated Trackpoint.  Ideally i'd like it to have Windows keys too, but I can live without.

Currently I'm using a Das Ultimate with MX blues and I like the feel.  I considered an M13 but I fear that the key response isn't as light as what I'm used to.

Any suggestion?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Recommendation for keyboard with trackpoint
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 14:48:34 »
does not exist

your best bet is a unicomp endurapro

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline docomoz

Re: Recommendation for keyboard with trackpoint
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 08:53:59 »
Does anybody know why Kinesis or other guys don't integrate a trackpoint into their keyboards? I think it would be a great ergonomic improvement for them.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:09:30 »
A microswitch keyboard with a good trackpoint is something often desired, but not realized.

There was a project a while back that aimed to develop a small form factor Cherry keyboard with trackpoint-- the MiniGuru-- but production was ultimately cancelled.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:27:52 »
Track point is better than touchpad for sure. But NOTHING is greater than da' moose. Response is far superior and more intuitive.

Trackball is closer to the moose, but there is no way to change directions as quickly with a trackball.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:32:21 »
The advantage of a trackpoint is that it can be used without taking your hand out of keyboard position. This is quite handy if your workflow involves frequent switching between mouse actions and typing.

Even if I had a trackpoint keyboard, I'd probably still use a proper mouse as well. But that doesn't make me want a trackpoint keyboard any less...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:45:48 »
Track point is better than touchpad for sure. But NOTHING is greater than da' moose. Response is far superior and more intuitive.

Trackball is closer to the moose, but there is no way to change directions as quickly with a trackball.
With a larger trackball, wouldn't you be able to do that closer to a mouse?
---

People have modd'd touchpoints into their keyboards. See the miniguru, and the kinesis projects that input nirvana has made up. That would be your best bet if you don't go with the unicomp.

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 12:10:08 »
A microswitch keyboard with a good trackpoint is something often desired, but not realized.

There was a project a while back that aimed to develop a small form factor Cherry keyboard with trackpoint-- the MiniGuru-- but production was ultimately cancelled.

It is funny you mention this. I recently contacted the guy who came up with that project and apparently the kit is still in the works. The MiniGuru could be my ultimate keyboard, especially for taking with me.

The reason we don't have any trackpoint keyboards is probably from this:

The pointing stick is an idea perfected by IBM and Lexmark; and owned by Unicomp since it was patented in 1996. The EnduraPro is the perfect solution for space constrained work environments.

Which came from http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/EnduraPro So hopefully the patent runs out in 4 more years and we can get someone like CM to make a 87/84 keyboard with a trackpoint.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 12:18:17 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:57:23 by davkol »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:57:20 »

With a larger trackball, wouldn't you be able to do that closer to a mouse?
---

People have modd'd touchpoints into their keyboards. See the miniguru, and the kinesis projects that input nirvana has made up. That would be your best bet if you don't go with the unicomp.

The problem with changing directions on a track ball, is because you cannot use your larger arm muscles which responds faster and are far more robust than fingers.

The trackball can't be handled so quickly because fingers don't provide enough surface contact with the ball for quick snaps.

Now if you had something that's volleyball size. Yea no problem, but I've yet to see such a giant trackball.