Author Topic: Review: Obins Lab's Anne Pro II MK  (Read 10432 times)

Offline nyihtway81

Review: Obins Lab's Anne Pro II MK
« on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 07:05:00 »
Since I started using MKs, I've been drooling on 60% MKs but at the same time, I can't loose the default 4 arrow keys on the full size keyboards. So, I went for a full 108 key MK first. While the experience is phenomenal, it is taking too much realestate on my desktop. And I tried to downsize to a TKL. The TKL has it own pros and cons, cons mainly not able to remap the keys whatsoever made me disappointed a lot. And my wife also complained a lot about the  noisy clicky Gateron Blues.
I've been researching quite a bit to do a DIY 60% MK and then a YouTube review on this keyboard caught my attention. The AnnePro II. So, I ended up ordering one for myself from Aliexpress. Now I've been using this for a week and it actually throw many of my concerns away. Not a perfect keyboard, but suited for me quite well.
Here are the pros and cons I think this keyboard has.

Pros:
- 61 Keys layout with full size enter and shift keys and 1.25u modifier keys.
- Tap function for right modifier keys ( the FN1, FN2, Ctrl and Shift keys can act as up/ down/ left/ right arrow keys when u just tap on them instead of pressing and holding. No need to hold FN key for this.)
- Bluetooth connecivity to up to 4 devices at the same time and switchable between these devices on the fly.
- fully customizable RGB lights.
- fully customizable key-mapping and macro functions.
- able to download customize functions to the keyboard and can use offline without the software.
- USB-C port
- Gateron Red keys

Cons:
- No stand-feet on the keyboard case. I cannot raise the keyboard.
- Switches are non hot-swappable. Soldered on PCB.
- Gateron Red Keys
- the included red USB-C wire.

The included USB-C cable is red color and it is not braided wire. So, it's a bummer. I replaced it with my own braided blue USB-C cable.
I have my own soldering station so i can swap any switch i want anytime, but not quite easily.
And that Gateron Red keys ended  up both being pros and cons. Pros being they are quiet and cons being they are too mushy fluffy and soft. I accidently hit the space bar too many time. If the keys were hot-swappable, I'd definately swap it with heavier switch.

So, I think that's my feels about the keyboard. Right now, it is pretty much stock. I'll mod it later by replacing XDA or DSA keycaps, lubing the switches and maybe replacing few keys with heavier switches.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 07:07:17 by nyihtway81 »

Offline ImperfectLink

Re: Review: Obins Lab's Anne Pro II MK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 08:28:12 »
I got one myself as well for the BT4.0 capability. Quality is pretty good and the value is hard to ignore. I got the white version and the caps are much better than I expected. There are some software quirks here and there when configuring but no deal breakers. The shining star to me is the QMK reprogramming.

I moved the FN layer keys to either side of the spacebar and reshuffled the bottom row a bit so the space where left Alt would be is FN1, right alt to FN2 and Caps is FN2. WASD are FN1 cursor arrows and FN2 Home, End, PgUp, PGDn.

Overal I'm pretty happy and my next 60% definitely has to have reprogramming. Anne Pro II is a good gateway into going more custom and getting what you want out of a small keeb.

Offline nyihtway81

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 08:44:00 »
I got one myself as well for the BT4.0 capability. Quality is pretty good and the value is hard to ignore. I got the white version and the caps are much better than I expected. There are some software quirks here and there when configuring but no deal breakers. The shining star to me is the QMK reprogramming.

I moved the FN layer keys to either side of the spacebar and reshuffled the bottom row a bit so the space where left Alt would be is FN1, right alt to FN2 and Caps is FN2. WASD are FN1 cursor arrows and FN2 Home, End, PgUp, PGDn.

Overal I'm pretty happy and my next 60% definitely has to have reprogramming. Anne Pro II is a good gateway into going more custom and getting what you want out of a small keeb.
yes, for me, I'll continue to explore the modding capability of this keyboard further. Gonna have a bigger battery, replace the keycaps and case as well. Or, I'll try to destroy my 108 keys Crystal Keyboard, salvage the Cherry Browns from there and replace them with the red keys here. Both keyboards had switches soldered on the PCB so, that'd be  quite a challenge.

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 08:53:13 »
Don't destroy your other board. Buy some new switches, something more exotic if you're modding the AP2. Sounds like a fun project, thanks for your review.