Author Topic: Steelseries 6gv2 vs Leopold Tenkeyless Mx Brown  (Read 8442 times)

Offline BarryGordon

Steelseries 6gv2 vs Leopold Tenkeyless Mx Brown
« on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:30:39 »
I just received the steelseries 6gv2 (mx blacks) in the mail yesterday and this is the first mechanical keyboard I've used. My wpm has already increased by 15 and I can't stop typing on this thing. The only thing that I haven't got used to yet is the space bar and backspace feel harder to push down then all the other keys. I also don't like how big the enter button is and the "?" key placement. How much different would a Leopold Tenkeyless Mx brown be in comparison to the 6gv2 mx black? I'm considering on making the switch but I did get a good deal on this keyboard so I'm not sure if it will be worth it.

Offline Index

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:37:06 »
Honestly, I think the Leopold Tenkeyless is the best Tenkeyless board out there.

I really don't like Filcos. I can't get over the shiny logo. Nice, clean, and without any labeling is for me.

I would get a Realforce, but I hate the the logo on the top left. Ugh...
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline RiGS

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:11:43 »
Quote from: ripster;412972
The brown is 25g lighter than the black.  That's quite a difference in the Mechanical Keyboard world.

Instantly Bannable Offenses

These can be one-time bannable offenses for which you will not get a warning.

1. Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessarily get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up and being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others and don't make discussions unnecessarily personal. If somebody else insults you, report their post; their post does not give you a license to break the rules by returning their insults. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.
2. Harassment. Purposely intimidating a particular member, harassing them, sending them rude or unwanted private messages, etc. This includes personal attacks on moderators for doing their jobs.
3. Registration rules. Violation of the rules you agreed to when registering for the site: that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
4. Multiple registration. You may register only one account, and if you were banned or given a temporary forum time-out, you may not re-register. Reinstatement can come only from an administrator.
5. Hoaxes. Purposely misleading other members to their detriment. Giving advice you know to be incorrect or harmful. Sensationalism.
6. "Trolling". Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline strum4h

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:15:54 »
Quote from: RiGS;412975

1. Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessarily get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up and being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others and don't make discussions unnecessarily personal. If somebody else insults you, report their post; their post does not give you a license to break the rules by returning their insults. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.
2. Harassment. Purposely intimidating a particular member, harassing them, sending them rude or unwanted private messages, etc. This includes personal attacks on moderators for doing their jobs.
3. Registration rules. Violation of the rules you agreed to when registering for the site: that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
4. Multiple registration. You may register only one account, and if you were banned or given a temporary forum time-out, you may not re-register. Reinstatement can come only from an administrator.
5. Hoaxes. Purposely misleading other members to their detriment. Giving advice you know to be incorrect or harmful. Sensationalism.
6. "Trolling". Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.

omgawdz some1 iz getting band
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline RiGS

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:19:53 »
See below the charts.

As you can see the pressure point of 55cN to press through the bump in the brown switches is very close to the 60 cN activation force that black switches require in order to actuate them.

Offline redpill

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:19:57 »
Going from blacks to browns is going to be a big jump.  Plate mounted browns feel extremely light and easy to actuate.  They have some tactility but coming from blacks you probably won't notice, all you'll feel is the thud of bottoming out because it will be hard not to do.  If you want a tactile switch, maybe try blues?

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline RiGS

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:23:13 »
Leopold has the same type of stabilizers. So the spacebar and shift keys would feel the same.
On the other hand it has ANSI layout. I recommend you to buy the new full size Rosewill.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:29:01 »
Quote from: RiGS;412975

Simmer down, guys.  Let's try to give this guy a good impression.

BarryGordon, brown switches are only 15g lighter than blacks, not 25.  But ripster is right that they feel very different.  Coming from blacks, browns will feel loose and easy to make errant keypresses on, until you get used to them.  With browns you'll also feel the tactile "bump" as the keys actuate, which many people, including myself, love.  But I'm with ripster: if you like the SteelSeries, stick with it.

That said, since tactile vs. linear is one of the big switch categories, you might consider picking up a used Cherry board with browns.  They can be had on ebay and in the classified section of this forum for around $30.

RiGS is well-known around here as a proponent of black switches, and he and ripster have ... history.  Since ripster neglected to say it, I will: welcome to geekhack!
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:31:54 by hashbaz »

Offline RiGS

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:35:18 »
RiGS is well-known around here as a proponent of black switches, and he and ripster have ... history.

We are cool. I don't know what history you are referring to.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:45:20 »
Erm, I wouldn't say it's all that misleading. Each switch has MINUTE differences to people who know nothing about keyboards but like ripster said, in the Mechanical Keyboard world it IS a noticeable difference (15g though, not 25) because we feel and appreciate each switch's unique qualities. I wouldn't call pointing out the force difference an exaggeration or misleading statement at all.

This is the first I'm hearing of a 55g Brown switch..

edit - if we're talking PEAK force then I'd contend that this is also misleading. And it's odd how many slightly different force graphs I see around.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:51:24 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:52:00 »
He said it is 25g lighter, which is clearly not the case. Most people might not like black switches, but the OP said he loved them, so it is reasonable to stick with those.
I recommended the Rosewill, because it is a decent keyboard with different type of stabilizers, and ANSI layout for a reasonable price.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:54:59 »
You neglect the fact that brown switches have a higher peak force than the activation force.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:59:15 »
They are indeed different, there is no doubt about that.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 17:05:21 »
Quote from: Playtrumpet;412994
Erm, I wouldn't say it's all that misleading. Each switch has MINUTE differences to people who know nothing about keyboards but like ripster said, in the Mechanical Keyboard world it IS a noticeable difference (15g though, not 25) because we feel and appreciate each switch's unique qualities. I wouldn't call pointing out the force difference an exaggeration or misleading statement at all.

This is the first I'm hearing of a 55g Brown switch..

edit - if we're talking PEAK force then I'd contend that this is also misleading. And it's odd how many slightly different force graphs I see around.

I find it's best to be as specific possible - I use 'peak force before activation' when I'm being pedantic, which is frequently :-)

I think 55g is the best single number to describe a brown switch, but that's just my opinion (shared by Cherry Corp, btw). You would have to exert that force at some point before the switch will switch!

I suppose taking the integral of the area under the graph from 0 to 2mm would be more accurate. That would make it proportionally less than the 55g (vs 60g for black). Yet still more than the 45g for reds - which clearly it is, because it adds tactility.

Offline BarryGordon

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:09:27 »
Honestly, I'm really confused about all of this so I think I'm going to stick with this keyboard and possibly add the leopold tenkeyless mx brown in a couple weeks from now.What I meant was that some of the keys like the space bar for example feel like I'm pushing down on a sponge. I think I'm becoming a keyboard enthusiast...this could be bad for my wallet.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:17:41 »
You should look into the new rosewill instead.

I'm considering one.

Offline crazing

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:20:31 »
The Rosewill logo hate really is well-deserved, though.  I'd love it if someone had some pictures and how-to of a really clean looking removal for it so I'd have a best case scenario in mind.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:23:13 »
I agree if you don't like the feel of the stabilizers on the SteelSeries, you will dislike it even more on Leopold with browns. It's much more noticeable difference on tactile switch. If you want a more crisp feel on those keys you should be looking at a Filco instead for 10keyless.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:27:11 »
The general consensus is to get the Rosewill, just as I already said. Also stay away from brown switches. It feels like a linear switch, but with a lube problem.
If you want a tactile switch try blues.

Offline crazing

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:32:08 »
Quote from: ripster;413036
Sandblasting is the BEST case scenario since ALL the surface will be uniform.
Danke.  While I've got you being excessively polite due to post count, how easy is it to get the case shell off a Rosewood? Is there another Torx kit in my future?  Cause I'm pretty sure I've got no idea where mine is.

Offline crazing

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 18:56:10 »
Quote from: ripster;413042
I erased the post as being off topic.  It's like too much information for the OP with 7 posts and if we start wandering off into mods.....

Fair 'nuff, no real reason I can't get around to a thread of my own.

Offline crazing

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 19:20:01 »
Quote from: ripster;413050
You can also try beating out of Oqsy what he did.
Dude, I don't want to try beating anything out of Walter.

edit: Oh, well, he gave a few really big hints.

Offline BarryGordon

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 19:58:46 »
Where would I be able to buy a Filco Majestouch mx brown keyboard (assuming this is the keyboard your recommending) in the US?

Offline crazing

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 20:02:30 »

Offline BarryGordon

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 21:02:00 »
That's kind of pricey, you sure the filcos are different from leopold? I thought they were pretty much the same thing.

Offline tr4656

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 21:20:08 »
I thought they were pretty similar, if not the same.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 22:13:40 »
Quote from: ripster;413050
You can also try beating out of Oqsy what he did.

He hinted that at some point he would reveal his method.

Offline slueth

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 22:26:25 »
I think they only have cherry blues for rosewill keyboards right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040&Tpk=mechanical%20keyboard
For another good cherry brown switch with costar stabilizers(similar to filco and rosewill) I recommend a wasd keyboard at http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/
Buy a semi-customizable and it cost 125 or fully customizable keycaps for 140 with free shipping.

Offline KoolAidMan

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 22:36:15 »
Quote from: BarryGordon;412948
I just received the steelseries 6gv2 (mx blacks) in the mail yesterday and this is the first mechanical keyboard I've used. My wpm has already increased by 15 and I can't stop typing on this thing. The only thing that I haven't got used to yet is the space bar and backspace feel harder to push down then all the other keys. I also don't like how big the enter button is and the "?" key placement. How much different would a Leopold Tenkeyless Mx brown be in comparison to the 6gv2 mx black? I'm considering on making the switch but I did get a good deal on this keyboard so I'm not sure if it will be worth it.

I owned a Filco with brown switches and own a Steelseries 6Gv2 with black switches. I had them both together at one point and ended up selling the Filco.

The difference between switches IMHO is tremendous. I made spelling and gaming errors with the brown switches that I didn't with the blacks. The browns are much much more sensitive.

That said, switch preference is highly subjective and personal. My preference and feeling doesn't necessarily line up with someone else's. I'll also say that if you are happy with the Steelseries, then I wouldn't worry about switching over to something else.