Author Topic: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | GB Ends November 15th!  (Read 152167 times)

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:55:27 »
What's the colorway of alpha legend?

It is a frosted white base with the dark indigo/purple modifiers base as the legends color.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 18:14:35 »
Mod tilde and pipe in chaos alphas please!

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | accent ISO enter added to base kit!
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 19:27:27 »
bump for accent ISO enter addition to the base kit!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 02:25:39 »
The reason I bring up the extras numbers is because the 40s kit did not meet MOQ organically in the GB and extras had to be bought to meet MOQ. I really dont mean the 40s kit exclusion personally at all, I just dont believe it will make MOQ based on the evidence of previous GMK sets with all lengths of IC that have had 40s kits cancelled.

My issue in all this is when vendors are comfortably buying 1000 extras of base kits there is literally no worry for them to buy out 25 40s kits. They always sell out anyway afterwards. Also yes it was rude but its pretty common as hobbies grow into big businesses and the profits become huge that no one gives a **** about the community. It seems more and more common in this "hobby"
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2021, 02:27:11 by scoopbb »

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 06:28:21 »
damn, you had me at the backwards alphas. but you forgot a few, the M, W and T are normal  :))

those should be upside down for ultimate chaos!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [GB] GMK Chaos Theory
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 11:35:24 »

w/a these?
2. Also consider changing the R3 1.75u Control key to use an icon legend.
This aids with visual consistency, as the text legend has a habit of looking out of place in the middle of icon mods (comparison, example in kit).

3. 6c centered stem is more common than 6c off-centered stem. I suggest changing it to the former.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] GMK Chaos Theory
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 11:53:35 »

w/a these?
2. Also consider changing the R3 1.75u Control key to use an icon legend.
This aids with visual consistency, as the text legend has a habit of looking out of place in the middle of icon mods (comparison, example in kit).

3. 6c centered stem is more common than 6c off-centered stem. I suggest changing it to the former.

won't be changing the r3 control key, but will be changing the 6U to centered.

:thumb:

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 13:56:25 »
Do you plan to hold on to the new alphas?

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 14:36:14 »
I like the colorway. I agree with some others that since the backwards alphas are really what sets this set apart, it probably would’ve been better to run in ePBT or something for cheaper, and with more child kit freedom.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 14:42:55 »
I like the colorway. I agree with some others that since the backwards alphas are really what sets this set apart, it probably would’ve been better to run in ePBT or something for cheaper, and with more child kit freedom.

I did think of dyesub for this set. But ultimately, I wasn't content with any of the uncoated Pantone colors I would have to use in order to make this in dyesub. I much preferred the saturation and brightness of the coated Pantones for GMK in the context of the theme of this set.

Offline Complexsy

• clack clack
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 19:59:06 »
Cool idea behind the set, really interesting colour scheme and I love the accent kits! GL with GB!

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 21:46:44 »
I did think of dyesub for this set. But ultimately, I wasn't content with any of the uncoated Pantone colors I would have to use in order to make this in dyesub. I much preferred the saturation and brightness of the coated Pantones for GMK in the context of the theme of this set.

Fair enough. The vibrant colours do look really good here, especially on the mods! Good luck with GB!
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 13:12:53 »
bump:

updated Singularity switch description with pictures and disclaimer about colorway.

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 21:08:08 »
Colorway is not bad, but I don't think it is very interesting either. That said Chaos Alphas are very unique in my opinion and they are the thing that makes this set stand out. So, I kinda wish they were the base kit, or had separate base kit. With the current kiting, I would only be in if Chaos Alpha kit was cheap, which I doubt it will be.

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 04:37:10 »
Agree with the Chaos Alphas being on the base kit. Those alphas make the set

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:08:40 »
We have decided to make a second base kit for the chaos alphas. It is likely it will cost slightly more than the standard base kit because of the molds cost, I will do my best to work with the vendors on pricing for it.

I would agree with what people are saying here and on reddit/instagram/my discord server/my private messages. The chaos alphas seem to be the biggest draw for people at the moment. That's something I really didn't think would happen, I actually thought people wouldn't really like them. That was the thought that drove the decision to initially make them a child kit. But the overwhelming positive reaction on reddit, this thread, instagram, and my discord server has pointed to the decision to try and make it its own base kit. Putting myself in the shoes of someone buying this set, I would also much rather pay $115-125 if I could for chaos base kit than what would be $195. I think it will allow everyone to get what they want out of the set for less money.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:16:16 by Dotnick »

Offline kiyoboard

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:42:53 »
We have decided to make a second base kit for the chaos alphas. It is likely it will cost slightly more than the standard base kit because of the molds cost, I will do my best to work with the vendors on pricing for it.

I would agree with what people are saying here and on reddit/instagram/my discord server/my private messages. The chaos alphas seem to be the biggest draw for people at the moment. That's something I really didn't think would happen, I actually thought people wouldn't really like them. That was the thought that drove the decision to initially make them a child kit. But the overwhelming positive reaction on reddit, this thread, instagram, and my discord server has pointed to the decision to try and make it its own base kit. Putting myself in the shoes of someone buying this set, I would also much rather pay $115-125 if I could for chaos base kit than what would be $195. I think it will allow everyone to get what they want out of the set for less money.

In :D Jokes aside, thanks for listening this feedback and making this happen. Other than just being too expensive, I found myself almost never using one of the alpha kits, if there are 2. So, at that point it becomes not just expensive, it turns into wasted money for me. I will be grabbing Chaos base and novelties!

Offline norb

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:45:43 »

great decision! looking forward to gb! :thumb: :thumb:

Offline kukkurovaca

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | Second Base Kit!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:59:11 »
Definitely in favor of chaos alphas base kit!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 16:08:04 »
Definitely in favor of chaos alphas base kit!

Chaos base set took this from a ~maybe~ to a _hell yes_. Great decision Dotnick!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 18:04:49 »
Would it be more cost-efficient to offer an only alpha "Order" kit instead of a full TKL one? or maybe a modular kitting with three kits: "Order," "Chaos," and Mods?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 18:40:56 »
Would it be more cost-efficient to offer an only alpha "Order" kit instead of a full TKL one? or maybe a modular kitting with three kits: "Order," "Chaos," and Mods?

the latter was tried with Oblotzky for Oblivion 2 for oblivion, hagoromo, oblv cadet, hag cadet alphas and then git, reg , and monochrome mods, with big numbers (at the time for the hobby) and after quotes...it didn't work. for those who might buy a few kits worth it might help but due to GMK's price drops with higher MOQ apparently it didn't make sense.

might be hard to interpret without Dotnick's IC data-while not formal on GH this was on discord a while

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 01:23:53 »
Monkeytype theme added!!

276436-0

276438-1

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 10:18:11 »

damn, what a shame. Would've gotten the alphas but I am not buying two base kits just to get them. I would much rather pay $195 to have options instead of $250 to get the same options with a ton of unnecessary keys. I agree with the other suggestions. What would a separate normal alpha kit cost?
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 September 2021, 10:20:32 by Fnzzy »

Offline slg1993

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | Monkeytype theme added!
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 11:09:34 »
some of y'all will just never be satisfied, lol

nick has:

-included 3-key 40s support and basic alice support in base, as well as added accented iso, and is still getting yelled at about compatibility

-run a set with ridiculously vivid colors and is still being asked 'y not pbt??"

-listened to the majority of people asking for the chaos alphas to be a fully-fleshed out base kit, and now people are mad about that too

can't please all of the people all of the time, ofc, but jesus have some self-awareness and look at how responsive he's been to feedback. now I understand why oblotzky just stonewalls that ****, at least then it's only the SAME people whining to him lol

I guess, to play devil's advocate, because nick sorta skipped the IC thread and went straight to GB everyone is cramming to get their feedback in as quickly as possible, but still

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 11:54:40 »
some of y'all will just never be satisfied, lol

nick has:

-listened to the majority of people asking for the chaos alphas to be a fully-fleshed out base kit, and now people are mad about that too

Can't speak to the other two points since I only found out about this set a day or two ago. I am not against a base kit with chaos alphas, I am disappointed that I am expected to buy two base kits at probably $120 a pop to get both, a normal base kit and a quirky novelty.

I guess, to play devil's advocate, because nick sorta skipped the IC thread and went straight to GB everyone is cramming to get their feedback in as quickly as possible, but still

I guess that's why people IC, if only to actually have pricing when opening a GB thread.

Offline copper4eva

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 16:29:45 »

Renders

618 by Zepsody

Show Image
Show Image

More
Show Image

What layout is this? Looks like exploded 1800 with left side function keys, which is awesome.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 17:27:51 »
I like the decision to offer a base kit with the reversed alphas.  To me, that's the big draw of this set.

You said that some of the colors have been matched through other sets.  Is the purple for the mods and alpha legends one that was already used in another set?  If so, which one?  I've been frustrated that lots of sets with a dark purple delivered something that was disappointingly close to black.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 19:06:22 »

Renders

618 by Zepsody

Show Image
Show Image

More
Show Image

What layout is this? Looks like exploded 1800 with left side function keys, which is awesome.

Hey so 618 is a new layout that we are calling "compact 1800XT"!

Offline copper4eva

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 21:42:11 »

Cool, are there any keyboards with this layout yet? And what upcoming keyboards are gonna have it? Googling 618 keyboard or compact 1800XT doesn't yield anything for me.

I assume that the 618 is a keyboard that'll be released in the future. Very cool layout idea. A lot like the vintage Omnikey ultra, except more compact and no true nav cluster.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 21:51:08 »

Cool, are there any keyboards with this layout yet? And what upcoming keyboards are gonna have it? Googling 618 keyboard or compact 1800XT doesn't yield anything for me.

I assume that the 618 is a keyboard that'll be released in the future. Very cool layout idea. A lot like the vintage Omnikey ultra, except more compact and no true nav cluster.

There are no keyboards coming out soon with this exact layout besides 618, we will be receiving our second prototype soon, which shouldn't be more than a couple tweaks away from being final. So expect to see it sooner than you think!

What is interesting about the compact 1800XT layout we've come up with for 618 (has never been done before) is that it also functions as a compact full size XT because the four keys above the numpad with the two keys above the two macro columns can function as your six nav cluster keys. Seeing as though most keycap sets offer R1 versions of the nav cluster keys, this should be fairly easy to find in most sets. What will be a challenge is finding sets with extra keys to put on the macro columns.

Offline -boxes-

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 15:41:55 »
Whoa, this set just came out of nowhere ... but I am loving the chaos alphas and the novelties!! Didn't know I needed a Laplace keycap until now.  And I thought I didn't have anything to buy in October......

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | More collaborations announced!
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 22:08:17 »
Several new collaborations to announce:

PiterKiwi Keycaps
TinyMakesThings
PrimeCaps
LividityCaps

American Haptics workmat

Offline Evasive

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | More collaborations announced!
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 15:23:54 »
I really like the addition of the chaos basekit, having to buy a normal basekit + the chaos alphas kits would have been too expensive for me.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | HIBI collab + update to Keylabs collab!
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 02 October 2021, 20:45:40 »
HIBI collaboration announced + modified Keylabs Crucible collaboration to include only the "chaos" option!

Offline haystack

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | HIBI collab + update to Keylabs collab!
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 02 October 2021, 22:27:31 »
HIBI collaboration announced + modified Keylabs Crucible collaboration to include only the "chaos" option!

A simple question from someone who has never joined a Discord ever and doesn't speak Australian: is Hibi just Rama's customization business with a new name, or something else? It would be reassuring to make this clear.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | HIBI collab + update to Keylabs collab
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 17:04:37 »
HIBI is operated independently of RAMA by Kate, who was previously doing the cap collaborations for RAMA.

Basically it's the same caps, same person, different company name.

Offline ryulinho

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | HIBI collab + update to Keylabs collab
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 22:17:53 »
I would have loved to have text on mods, and that text reversed as well in the Chaos set :P I would have bought that for sure.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | Pricing posted
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 23:14:56 »
Pricing announced

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 01:41:37 »
I really like the Chaos base, but I just realized that in addition to the alphanumeric characters, the brackets, curly braces, angle brackets, and parentheses are also reversed.  As a programmer, I might have to get both bases so I can get the normal keys for those.  Not sure I can handle having those backwards.  With most of the flipped characters, it looks like a flipped character, but when you flip those, you turn them into the character on a different, adjacent key.  That's going to be interesting to type on.

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 03:07:21 »
I really like the Chaos base, but I just realized that in addition to the alphanumeric characters, the brackets, curly braces, angle brackets, and parentheses are also reversed.  As a programmer, I might have to get both bases so I can get the normal keys for those.  Not sure I can handle having those backwards.  With most of the flipped characters, it looks like a flipped character, but when you flip those, you turn them into the character on a different, adjacent key.  That's going to be interesting to type on.

brackets, curly & angle brackets can just be swapped out within the chaos base, or not?

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 03:15:52 »
Get the normal base for your long term sanity

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 05:36:02 »
Touch-typing?

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | Launches Oct. 8!
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 12:39:08 »
iLumKB pricing posted for HIBI and Keylabs artisans, as well as the Singularity switches.

Offline Dotnick

Offline Dotnick

Offline Dotnick

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | LIVE
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 14:44:20 »
All vendors are live now!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | All vendors live!
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 00:07:32 »
I don’t even remotely matter but if it’s not too much trouble could the dvorcol graph for the set have Chaos extending from right to left?

Offline copper4eva

Re: [GB] 💫 GMK Chaos Theory 💫 | All vendors live!
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 02:00:39 »
Cool to see that prices are live. Sorry if this has been specified somewhere, but what are the dimensions of the deskmats? I didn't see that info anywhere. I really like the butterfly effect one.