Author Topic: WASD V2 Barebone Is Out  (Read 21532 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Re: WASD V2 Barebone Is Out
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:36:06 »
I am not seeing a compelling reason to buy this over the trusty Quickfire Rapid// Stealth

None of the "extra" features are the type that people actually use or care about.

If anything the Rapid// Stealth is much more "svelte" looking.

This gives me the impression of extra purposeless fat edges.

The majority of people, maybe not. But there is a non-trivial amount of people who do care about that. And they are the market that this board is aimed at.

I'm Colemak and know two other devs who are Dvorak. The idea of a dip switchable Colemak layout is intriguing. Not so much for my workstation because it's already set up, but for when I'm at my clients. It's a pain to have to pull out my flash drive with my PKL just so I can work at their locations.

Further, it's nice that you can order keycaps with Colemak or Dvorak inscriptions. I'm a Topre fanboy, so I won't be getting a WASD board, but I like the direction in which they're moving. Now, if they offered a Topre switch option...I'd be all over that. Better yet, a variable with 45g and 55g! That gives me a chubby!

Both Colemak and Dvorak are EXTREMELY flawed.

They both put vowels in the CENTER row.

This is bad, because there's a huge misunderstanding within the community that the CENTER row is "home position"

However, any seasoned keyboard user would know that the fingers do not rest in a bar/line shape horizontally on the center row.

It does a curve shape.  on qwerty it rests on   awef  jio'

4 vowels in rest position.   Qwerty > Cole// Dvo

I can appreciate what you are saying when a normal keyboard is being used. However, if resting your middle and ring fingers on the top row, then it is much harder to use the bottom row keys associated with those fingers because they are much further away from your resting position.

On the Kinesis, Ergodox and Truly Ergonomic keyboards the various columns are offset in accordance with your finger length (i.e. the ring finger center row key is slightly higher than the index finger center row key and the middle finger center row key is even higher). For those keyboards, the vowels for Dvorak and Colemak are both on the center row and in the resting position.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:30:35 »
Anyone get one of these yet? any ideas when the clear switch version is coming out?
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:39:32 »
Anyone get one of these yet? any ideas when the clear switch version is coming out?

Isn't it already out?  I see the option available in the switch selection.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:42:34 »
i see it there, but its not selectable, at least for me.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 12:53:28 »
where's the wasd v2 code??

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 23:57:19 »
i see it there, but its not selectable, at least for me.

Ahhhhhhhh I see, yeah I just tried it doesn't work for me either.  I guess we have to wait.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:49:09 »
i want to try a clear switch so bad T_T
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:26:29 »
looks like CODE is out http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/code-87-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

also for the normal keyboard they only have blue and black switches left T_T
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:35:50 »
Ultra-rare Cherry MX Clear mechanical keyswitches are the heart of the CODE keyboard.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:54:00 »
Ultra-rare Cherry MX Clear mechanical keyswitches are the heart of the CODE keyboard.

Well, they arent that common at least. :P
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:07:20 »
Dafuq? Atwood and WASD collaborated on the Code? That's surprising. I would have assumed if Jeff helped design a keyboard it would have been an ergo or at least split.