Author Topic: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)  (Read 62770 times)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 07:16:02 »
Thanks for the update.  Please take care of your back!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 07:45:06 »
Wow, extremely impressive for a first round. You’ve outdone expectations. I missed the window to get in on this round but wow, if this opens again, you’ll be flooded with new orders!  All the best and please take care, always a bummer to hear artisans injured and I am hoping for your speedy recovery.

Offline Angry Nimbus Woodcraft

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 10:40:33 »
Wow, extremely impressive for a first round. You’ve outdone expectations. I missed the window to get in on this round but wow, if this opens again, you’ll be flooded with new orders!  All the best and please take care, always a bummer to hear artisans injured and I am hoping for your speedy recovery.

Thanks for the update.  Please take care of your back!

Thanks! I really appreciate your concern.  I have had severe back issues all my life,  and lots of treatment including lumbar surgery and physical therapy.  It was actually one of the big motivations for me to quit the automotive repair industry (after 15+ years) and start a small business.  I reinjured it quite badly last year and spent about 4 months in bed.  All that time lying down left me with no excuses to file all the LLC paperwork and get organized.  When my spine tells me to take it easy, I listen.  But I am back up and moving, just takes a bit longer to get out of bed and get my shoes on.

Offline TheIceJester

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 12:12:43 »
Wow...I was expecting high quality, but these are just awesome. The little badge on the bottom is a fantastic touch. Thank you for taking so much time and care with these. They will each be treasured.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 14:09:00 »
Those look incredible.

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 16:47:10 »
These things are going to be too pretty to use, I should have gotten a spare to just have on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 04:25:32 »
I appreciate you taking the time to make these as good as they can be! I'm very excited to see the completed ones from the  first batch and then I'll be patiently waiting for mine :)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:29:56 »
GB UPDATE 4/12/19
We are currently running a few days behind schedule. Rob is completing the final steps of production and will start shipping out batch 01 rests in the next couple days. I'm sure he'll be posting another update soon. I've seen a video of the recently completed rests and they are drool worthy :p

On a side note I'm jealous of all of you. Rob has really stepped up his game from when we did my prototype and these are looking incredible!

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline Grumms

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:16:48 »
GB UPDATE 4/12/19
We are currently running a few days behind schedule. Rob is completing the final steps of production and will start shipping out batch 01 rests in the next couple days. I'm sure he'll be posting another update soon. I've seen a video of the recently completed rests and they are drool worthy :p

On a side note I'm jealous of all of you. Rob has really stepped up his game from when we did my prototype and these are looking incredible!

We all definitely appreciate the constant updates and informative videos. I'm sure most of us are used to months of delay so a few days is nothing! Can't wait to get mine.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 11:14:30 »
We all definitely appreciate the constant updates and informative videos. I'm sure most of us are used to months of delay so a few days is nothing! Can't wait to get mine.

I know a lot of us have been there and have learned to live with it but doesn't make it suck any less. It's why we've tried to keep the updates coming and split orders into batches to make sure we could manage and meet expectations. We appreciate everyone's patience and kind words, and are excited to deliver a product that we hope you'll love.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 22:53:16 »
Hey folks!  I wanted to drop another quick update here.  The wrist rests needed another coat of poly this morning and I have to iron out a few finish details (blemishes, dust nibs, etc) before they go out.  The vid I sent JB1830 was just after the last coat of poly went on, and they are definitely looking better than the one I made him lol.

Once they are all finished and polished, I will get some glamor shots before I head to the post office.  I'm really excited to see them paired up with the keyboards they were made for.  Once again, thank you for your patience.  I hate to get behind on a deadline, but not as much as I hate putting out unfinished work.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 16:23:35 »
Hey folks.  I just uploaded a new update video which you can find here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1o5wCiM3c&feature=youtu.be

Ive been putting 1-2 coats of finish on these each day and they are finally developing a topcoat.  Usually this only takes 3-4 coats, but some of the wrist rests have been incredibly thirsty.  Most of these have 6-7 coats by now.  Some of the wrist rests are ready to ship, some need a final scuff and coat of sealer to get rid of the dust nibs and surface imperfections.  Each coat of polyurethane takes 8-12 hours to dry, so in between finishing I am working on the next batches to get a head start.  Please bear with me while I get the first batch to the finish line, they are SO close to being done.  Once they go out, you will receive an email with the shipping info through my website.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 16:40:53 »
Oh my goodness these look amazing!  Seeing the different colour combinations, I’ll definitely be looking at ordering another one when orders reopen in the future.  Thanks for being so meticulous with these and generous with the updates.

Offline pcire

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 17:24:44 »
Man! They look awesome! I wish I had joined sooner to get it sooner!

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 18:18:23 »
Oh boy this is how a GB should be done! I am unfortunately not a part of the first batch but i do not mind the wait at all thanks for being so communicative! Can't wait for mine :)
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline rooski15

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 22:34:42 »
Hey folks.  I just uploaded a new update video which you can find here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1o5wCiM3c&feature=youtu.be

Ive been putting 1-2 coats of finish on these each day and they are finally developing a topcoat.  Usually this only takes 3-4 coats, but some of the wrist rests have been incredibly thirsty.  Most of these have 6-7 coats by now.  Some of the wrist rests are ready to ship, some need a final scuff and coat of sealer to get rid of the dust nibs and surface imperfections.  Each coat of polyurethane takes 8-12 hours to dry, so in between finishing I am working on the next batches to get a head start.  Please bear with me while I get the first batch to the finish line, they are SO close to being done.  Once they go out, you will receive an email with the shipping info through my website.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Is that a blue / maple 60% on the top row? May be my wife's - it's beautiful!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 09:45:14 »
Oh my goodness these look amazing!  Seeing the different colour combinations, I’ll definitely be looking at ordering another one when orders reopen in the future.  Thanks for being so meticulous with these and generous with the updates.

Oh boy this is how a GB should be done! I am unfortunately not a part of the first batch but i do not mind the wait at all thanks for being so communicative! Can't wait for mine :)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited to get them headed your way.

If you are in the first batch of orders, then you have glimpsed your wrist rest.  There was only one natural maple/blue inlay in this batch, but many ebonized maple in both of the blue colors that we offered.  I'm glad you dig it.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 09:55:14 »

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited to get them headed your way.

If you are in the first batch of orders, then you have glimpsed your wrist rest.  There was only one natural maple/blue inlay in this batch, but many ebonized maple in both of the blue colors that we offered.  I'm glad you dig it.
Yes, the neutral maple. I'm not sure what batch we're in. Even if it's not hers, it's still beautiful. Amazing work. :)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline Jedi

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 17:49:56 »
Oh my goodness, these are amazing.  Please let us know if you do plan on a second run.  Your work far exceeded expectations and I missed the window to join.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 17:42:32 »
Update time!  Today I have a good one, the first batch is DONE, packaged and ready to hit the mailbox.  You will receive tracking info via email once I get all the data entered through my website.  Check out the video below for a peek at the finished products.

Video Update: https://youtu.be/X6Lw-rsMr8M

In the last video update, I spoke about wet sanding and polishing the wrist rests.  I began doing this on the underside of each one, but I found it was difficult to acheive a full gloss finish.  I did a little more research with the manufacturer and they recommended waiting for a full cure to polish out a gloss finish.  So instead, I went back and recoated each wrist rest in the most dust free environment I could create.  The result is the best finish that I can achieve without waiting a full month before wet sanding and polishing.  They are all nearly perfect aside from a few dust specs, but if you are unsatisfied with the finish and want it to be glass-smooth, its a very simple procedure to wet sand and polish the surface that doesn't require any tools, and I can walk you through it.  You just need to wait for the coating to fully cure.  Additionally, I had a few orders that had to stay with me a little longer to fix surface imperfections.  If your order was affected, you have been sent an email.

All of the lumber for the remaining orders was milled to thickness on Saturday, which means I can start cutting the rest of the blanks as time allows.  I have 19 blanks which are already cut, and half of those have been burned and dried, making them ready for resin.  My goal is to have that finished by weeks end so I can get a jump start on the remaining orders.

I snapped a bunch of pictures this morning before boxing them up, and added them to the album, which you can find here: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB

Thanks for following along!
Oh my goodness, these are amazing.  Please let us know if you do plan on a second run.  Your work far exceeded expectations and I missed the window to join.

Thank you!  Once all of these orders are complete, I will be reposting the product page on my website for custom orders.  I can't take any more commission work until these are finished.

Offline Grumms

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:13:15 »
Update time!  Today I have a good one, the first batch is DONE, packaged and ready to hit the mailbox.  You will receive tracking info via email once I get all the data entered through my website.  Check out the video below for a peek at the finished products.

Video Update: https://youtu.be/X6Lw-rsMr8M

In the last video update, I spoke about wet sanding and polishing the wrist rests.  I began doing this on the underside of each one, but I found it was difficult to acheive a full gloss finish.  I did a little more research with the manufacturer and they recommended waiting for a full cure to polish out a gloss finish.  So instead, I went back and recoated each wrist rest in the most dust free environment I could create.  The result is the best finish that I can achieve without waiting a full month before wet sanding and polishing.  They are all nearly perfect aside from a few dust specs, but if you are unsatisfied with the finish and want it to be glass-smooth, its a very simple procedure to wet sand and polish the surface that doesn't require any tools, and I can walk you through it.  You just need to wait for the coating to fully cure.  Additionally, I had a few orders that had to stay with me a little longer to fix surface imperfections.  If your order was affected, you have been sent an email.

All of the lumber for the remaining orders was milled to thickness on Saturday, which means I can start cutting the rest of the blanks as time allows.  I have 19 blanks which are already cut, and half of those have been burned and dried, making them ready for resin.  My goal is to have that finished by weeks end so I can get a jump start on the remaining orders.

I snapped a bunch of pictures this morning before boxing them up, and added them to the album, which you can find here: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB

Thanks for following along!

Thank you!  Once all of these orders are complete, I will be reposting the product page on my website for custom orders.  I can't take any more commission work until these are finished.

Appreciate all of your hard work. So very excited to get mine!

I'll be ordering more in the future when things clear up for ya  :thumb:

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 11:13:54 »
Thanks again to Rob for the awesome update and getting batch one out! Make sure you guys drop by and post pics of your set up with your new wrist rests while we wait for batch 2 to be completed.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 13:04:02 »
Mine is on the way!!! So stoked for this! Thank you for doing this so smoothly. The video updates are amazing. I really appreciate it

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 13:22:11 »
Mine is on the way!!! So stoked for this! Thank you for doing this so smoothly. The video updates are amazing. I really appreciate it

My pleasure! 

I just finished inputting all of the tracking numbers for the first batch, and you should receive an email with the shipping information.  I also refunded any shipping overcharge that was incurred.  If you didn't get a refund, that means your shipping was actually higher than what you paid and I have absorbed those costs.

If you are in the first batch and you have not received a shipping number or an email from me, please contact me through my website.  This makes it much easier to retrieve your order information.  Thank you!

Offline TheIceJester

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 16:15:26 »
Got mine!! The image does not do this thing justice. I couldn't be more pleased!!!

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 15:01:27 by TheIceJester »

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 07:51:43 »
Thanks for posting the pic here!  Many of the first batch have been delivered (mostly orders from the east coast) and pictures are starting to pop up.  I'm so excited to see these paired with the board they were made for.  If you have received yours, please post it up here.  I would love to add some pictures to my webpage and social media galleries, so let me know if you are OK with me using them.  I will not use any of your photos without your permission.  I had one local order that was picked up at my shop.  He was nice enough to bring his board so I could grab a shot on the stack of raw lumber that will become the remaining orders.  I can't believe how heavy this keyboard was!  Really cool to see these custom units in person.

Offline Grumms

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:19:42 »
Have to say...

I just got my wrist rest and I am honestly blown away at the quality. Unreal! So glad I went in on this GB. I'll post a picture once my build comes in!

Great work  :thumb:

Offline TheIceJester

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 15:03:27 »
Thanks for posting the pic here!  Many of the first batch have been delivered (mostly orders from the east coast) and pictures are starting to pop up.  I'm so excited to see these paired with the board they were made for.  If you have received yours, please post it up here.  I would love to add some pictures to my webpage and social media galleries, so let me know if you are OK with me using them.  I will not use any of your photos without your permission.  I had one local order that was picked up at my shop.  He was nice enough to bring his board so I could grab a shot on the stack of raw lumber that will become the remaining orders.  I can't believe how heavy this keyboard was!  Really cool to see these custom units in person.
I edited my post above to include a better picture, taken outside as you suggested over on reddit. Matches the actual colors much better! Feel free to use the pic any way you like.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 18:58:23 »
I edited my post above to include a better picture, taken outside as you suggested over on reddit. Matches the actual colors much better! Feel free to use the pic any way you like.

Thanks!  The colors are definitely more true with natural sunlight.  I appreciate you grabbing the extra shot.

Offline TheIceJester

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:49:39 »
I decided my keeb in the last pic didn't really match (size or style)....so here is my "final" combination with the wrist rest.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 08:33:22 »
Ooo, I like that combo TheIceJester.  Your other keyboard looks really cool, but this setup matches way better.

It looks like most of the first batch has been delivered, and I'm starting to get some photos in my inbox which is awesome motivation while I crank away on the rest of these.  Please share your shots here if you don't mind.  Also, if you have any feedback (positive or negative) I would love to hear it so I can continue to improve my products and service.  I have another weekly update in the works, but there is still a bunch of footage for me to sort through and edit.  I'm hoping to have it posted by tonight.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 11:37:31 »
Here's my bit of feedback. I actually didn't realize how much I liked this design until I received my Angry Nimbus Wrist Rest.

218273-0

Do you see that bit of slope downwards towards the end? I think that slopes feels better on my wrist than just a straight block. Do you think it possible to add this slight angle downwards on future products?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 17:49:39 »
Do you see that bit of slope downwards towards the end? I think that slopes feels better on my wrist than just a straight block. Do you think it possible to add this slight angle downwards on future products?

Thanks for the feedback!

Doing that bevel cut would not be too difficult, just a few more steps in the process.  The burns can wrap around corners and curves with no issue.  However it would cause issues doing the resin inlay, as it goes down as a liquid and everything would flow down that sloped face.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 11:42:06 »

Thanks for the feedback!

Doing that bevel cut would not be too difficult, just a few more steps in the process.  The burns can wrap around corners and curves with no issue.  However it would cause issues doing the resin inlay, as it goes down as a liquid and everything would flow down that sloped face.

I know from talking to Rob that adding an angle makes it a bit more difficult for him to work the wood. If you want a slight angle you can probably do it by using the included bump-ons on one end but not the other.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 12:16:27 »
Hi everybody!  Your Tuesday update became a Wednesday update after I lost an entire video edit and cried myself to sleep.  But I came back strong this morning and remade the whole thing.  Its a bit longer than the last few videos because I have been BUSY cranking away on these wrist rests.  Last time I checked in, you saw all the lumber had been milled to thickness.  Since then I have cut it all down to individual blanks for every remaining order, and burned all of the blanks for Batch #2, along with some from Batch #3.  All of the blanks are labeled and double checked to make sure they are correct.  This is great because now there is no more down time waiting for lumber to climatise or be milled, and no more trips to the lumber yard for more stock.  I can continue to burn small batches when I have down time (like waiting for resin to cure, etc) which will help to get the timeline back on track.  Batch #2 is about to be sanded, pre-stained and then straight to resin.  That will hopefully be done by Friday so it can cure over the weekend.  I also purchased a new (used) tool called a jointer that will hopefully speed up the flattening process, but I have to tune it up and make some adjustments to get it working properly.  If I can figure it out, it should cut flattening time in half and increase my accuracy, which is huge.

Batch #2 Progress Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBUac-e3Gw&feature=youtu.be

Speaking of accuracy, I made a little mistake on an order in the first batch.  I transcribed a size incorrectly, and ended up making the wrong size.  I sent an email to the person who ordered it, but I have not heard back.  If you were order #1022, please check your email (possibly spam folder as it gets sent through my website).  I have already started remaking your order in the correct size.  This particular order did not match any of the later orders, so I am offering it up to people who missed the boat on the group buy.  It is a 60% (11.75") Natural Maple with Atlantic Blue resin inlay, pictured below.  If you are interested in snapping it up, just shoot me a message. 

That's it for this week, thanks for following along!

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:13:21 »
Hi everybody!  Your Tuesday update became a Wednesday update after I lost an entire video edit and cried myself to sleep.  But I came back strong this morning and remade the whole thing.  Its a bit longer than the last few videos because I have been BUSY cranking away on these wrist rests.  Last time I checked in, you saw all the lumber had been milled to thickness.  Since then I have cut it all down to individual blanks for every remaining order, and burned all of the blanks for Batch #2, along with some from Batch #3.  All of the blanks are labeled and double checked to make sure they are correct.  This is great because now there is no more down time waiting for lumber to climatise or be milled, and no more trips to the lumber yard for more stock.  I can continue to burn small batches when I have down time (like waiting for resin to cure, etc) which will help to get the timeline back on track.  Batch #2 is about to be sanded, pre-stained and then straight to resin.  That will hopefully be done by Friday so it can cure over the weekend.  I also purchased a new (used) tool called a jointer that will hopefully speed up the flattening process, but I have to tune it up and make some adjustments to get it working properly.  If I can figure it out, it should cut flattening time in half and increase my accuracy, which is huge.

Batch #2 Progress Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBUac-e3Gw&feature=youtu.be

Speaking of accuracy, I made a little mistake on an order in the first batch.  I transcribed a size incorrectly, and ended up making the wrong size.  I sent an email to the person who ordered it, but I have not heard back.  If you were order #1022, please check your email (possibly spam folder as it gets sent through my website).  I have already started remaking your order in the correct size.  This particular order did not match any of the later orders, so I am offering it up to people who missed the boat on the group buy.  It is a 60% (11.75") Natural Maple with Atlantic Blue resin inlay, pictured below.  If you are interested in snapping it up, just shoot me a message. 

That's it for this week, thanks for following along!

Show Image

Show Image

I'd like to purchase this wrist rest! I will PM you here on GH

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 19:12:05 »
Update: the extra wrist rest has been sold.  I got a few interested parties, but the first person grabbed it up. 

Offline Anakey

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 11:54:41 »
My Wrist Rest arrived on Saturday however have had bad weather for the past few days, but managed to catch a 15 min window with the sun coming through my window. the photo does not do full justice of the amazing hues in the pine wood but it is going to be the best i can do for now

Offline Rexios

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 12:16:21 »
I ordered that exact combination in a 60% size. It looks so good I can’t wait for mine to get here.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 13:02:01 »
My Wrist Rest arrived on Saturday however have had bad weather for the past few days, but managed to catch a 15 min window with the sun coming through my window. the photo does not do full justice of the amazing hues in the pine wood but it is going to be the best i can do for now

Ah man if that photo doesn't do full justice then it must look insane cause it looks great in that photo!

All these photos of people's builds with the wrist rest are having me itching to get mine. Can't wait! :)

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline connor4312

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 23:35:18 »
Fantastic job on the group buy, the communication and progress updates were unparalleled and the end result super nice ^.^

Sorry for potato quality, taken from my phone:

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 08:23:47 »
Hey everybody! 

Sorry I missed the update this week.  It totally slipped my mind.  These pictures are looking awesome!  Please keep them coming.

I don't have a video for you this week.  I have continued to film the project, but views on the videos have been dropping a lot, and editing them eats up a lot of hours (especially when my computer decides its had enough and crashes the program).  I have been spending that editing time working on the wrist rests instead.  When time allows, I will get back in the editing chair and put some videos together.

In the last update, Batch #2 was millled, cut into blanks, fractal burned and clamped to dry.  Since then, they have been sanded and pre-stained (for the ebonized orders), inlayed with resin, cured, scraped and flattened.  Thanks to the new tooling that I brought into the shop, the flattening process went much faster.  This is the current situation in the shop:

This is all of Batch #2 and a few of Batch #3 that snuck in because they were ready for resin.  I'm really happy with how they are coming along.  Up next they will all be cut to final length, sanded on all sides and edge profiled (rounding the edges), restained, stamped and sealed with polyurethane.  After that I will get cranking on Batch #3.  The third and final batch is actually the largest.  There are a total of 44 orders which amounts to a very big pile of wood.  Instead of doing a batch of 30, and then a final batch of 14, they will all be moving through the steps together.  Working in big batches is more efficient, but it can make some of the tasks difficult and lead to mistakes.  Boredom leads to complacency, and nothing is more boring than sanding 44 blocks of wood in a row.  To make sure I keep a high level of quality with so many pieces, I am going to break these up into smaller batches based on the resin color.  This way, I can have several small batches moving through each stage of the finishing process, and simply do a little bit on each batch daily.  I think it might work out best if I mail these out as they are finished, but I will be better able to make that decision when the time comes. That's it for this week!

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:57:10 »
Good plan mate! Thanks again for the regular updates - it's really a breath of fresh air.

Based upon this experience thus far I'd definitely go back for a second rest for another build. I can't wait to see it in person!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 07:46:39 »
Hey everybody!  Just popping in with a quick update.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make much progress on batch 2 over the past week.  We have had an incredibly rainy spring here, with almost constant, daily rain.  While my little shop does have a roof, it is not climate controlled.  With lots of rain, comes lots of humidity and moisture in the air.   All of the lumber that I buy is kiln dried down to a workable moisture content, but raw wood (and even finished wood for that matter) is constantly "breathing" which means it will absorb moisture out of the surrounding air.  This isn't a problem for most of the steps in my process, but it is critical for when I flatten the boards out.  I generally do the flattening in two stages.  The first is a rough planing to remove any twisting or cupping that occurs after the lumber is milled, then the boards are allowed to sit for a day or two for any internal stresses to release and they are checked for flatness again.  Almost all of them will require another few passes at the jointer to get them dead flat, remove tear-out and get them down to final thickness.  Once the second stage is complete, there is not enough material to go back and flatten them again.  For this reason, I have been waiting for things to dry out so I can be sure they won't warp later when they dry out.  If I skip this step and rush it, I might end up with wobbly wrist rests that are too thin to go back and flatten again.  Instead I have started to do the burns on the last batch, because excess moisture is not a concern.  If any of you follow me on IG, you may have seen that I had a show last weekend at a Winery in Southern NJ.  We were lucky enough to have 2 hot, sunny days and the weather has stayed in that pattern, which means that the batch 2 rests will finally be able to dry out (cross your fingers).  Once I am confident the moisture content has stabalized, i will perform the second flattening and move on to trimming, edge treatment and finishing.  I will be out of town for the last week of this month on a long awaited trip to Maine, but I am really hoping to have batch #2 in the finishing room with a few coats of sealer on them, which will ensure that they stay dry and flat while I am gone.

I have also been considering new options, colors and strategies for when my custom order book reopens (after the last batch is complete).  I would like to hear your input so I can see what people want.  Right now I am thinking about adding Purpleheart, Curly Maple, Mahogany and Wenge for wood choices, but they need to be tested to see if they will burn well.  There is an endless variety of colors and pigments available, so the sky is the limit for that.  If you have suggestions or desires, please comment below and let me know!

I think the biggest take-away from this project is that I would prefer to work in smaller batches.  As much as I appreciate the financial stability of having lots of pending orders, accepting 100+ custom orders is a huge workload on top of the rest of the tasks involved with operating a small craft business.  I am the only employee here, which means I also have to handle administrative duties, social media, booking shows, replenishing my stock and creating new products.  These other aspects have suffered from my focus on the wrist rests.  Additionally,  I feel like constantly making the same thing has taken a toll on my creative output, which is the entire reason I quit working as a mechanic and started this journey.  My current plan is to take up to 10 custom wrist rest orders each month, but include more options to allow deeper customization.  I may increase this number during the winter, when business is slower (due to the lack of craft shows and post-holiday reduction in purchases).  The second take-away is that I can't sustain the original group buy price.  When I made the original wrist rest for JB1830, I didn't encounter any issues with warping or lose product due to blemishes and waste from milling.  The amount of hours I have poured into the first few batches is over two times what I had estimated from the first build.  I don't have a final price point yet, but I will determine that once I have all the factors nailed down. 

Don't get me wrong, these are not complaints by any means.  This is a new business for me and a complete departure from my old career, so I am still learning how to run it.  I truly appreciate every single order that you all have made.  You are literally keeping the roof over my head right now as I grow and establish myself in the craft community.  Without them, I would have to get a second job to pay the bills.  Thank you so much for keeping my dream alive!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2019, 07:51:40 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 10:28:35 »
I thought I posted this
219758-0

Offline rooski15

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 10:33:32 »

Hey everybody!  Just popping in with a quick update.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make much progress on batch 2 over the past week.  We have had an incredibly rainy spring here, with almost constant, daily rain.  While my little shop does have a roof, it is not climate controlled.  With lots of rain, comes lots of humidity and moisture in the air.   All of the lumber that I buy is kiln dried down to a workable moisture content, but raw wood (and even finished wood for that matter) is constantly "breathing" which means it will absorb moisture out of the surrounding air.  This isn't a problem for most of the steps in my process, but it is critical for when I flatten the boards out.  I generally do the flattening in two stages.  The first is a rough planing to remove any twisting or cupping that occurs after the lumber is milled, then the boards are allowed to sit for a day or two for any internal stresses to release and they are checked for flatness again.  Almost all of them will require another few passes at the jointer to get them dead flat, remove tear-out and get them down to final thickness.  Once the second stage is complete, there is not enough material to go back and flatten them again.  For this reason, I have been waiting for things to dry out so I can be sure they won't warp later when they dry out.  If I skip this step and rush it, I might end up with wobbly wrist rests that are too thin to go back and flatten again.  Instead I have started to do the burns on the last batch, because excess moisture is not a concern.  If any of you follow me on IG, you may have seen that I had a show last weekend at a Winery in Southern NJ.  We were lucky enough to have 2 hot, sunny days and the weather has stayed in that pattern, which means that the batch 2 rests will finally be able to dry out (cross your fingers).  Once I am confident the moisture content has stabalized, i will perform the second flattening and move on to trimming, edge treatment and finishing.  I will be out of town for the last week of this month on a long awaited trip to Maine, but I am really hoping to have batch #2 in the finishing room with a few coats of sealer on them, which will ensure that they stay dry and flat while I am gone.

I have also been considering new options, colors and strategies for when my custom order book reopens (after the last batch is complete).  I would like to hear your input so I can see what people want.  Right now I am thinking about adding Purpleheart, Curly Maple, Mahogany and Wenge for wood choices, but they need to be tested to see if they will burn well.  There is an endless variety of colors and pigments available, so the sky is the limit for that.  If you have suggestions or desires, please comment below and let me know!

I think the biggest take-away from this project is that I would prefer to work in smaller batches.  As much as I appreciate the financial stability of having lots of pending orders, accepting 100+ custom orders is a huge workload on top of the rest of the tasks involved with operating a small craft business.  I am the only employee here, which means I also have to handle administrative duties, social media, booking shows, replenishing my stock and creating new products.  These other aspects have suffered from my focus on the wrist rests.  Additionally,  I feel like constantly making the same thing has taken a toll on my creative output, which is the entire reason I quit working as a mechanic and started this journey.  My current plan is to take up to 10 custom wrist rest orders each month, but include more options to allow deeper customization.  I may increase this number during the winter, when business is slower (due to the lack of craft shows and post-holiday reduction in purchases).  The second take-away is that I can't sustain the original group buy price.  When I made the original wrist rest for JB1830, I didn't encounter any issues with warping or lose product due to blemishes and waste from milling.  The amount of hours I have poured into the first few batches is over two times what I had estimated from the first build.  I don't have a final price point yet, but I will determine that once I have all the factors nailed down. 

Don't get me wrong, these are not complaints by any means.  This is a new business for me and a complete departure from my old career, so I am still learning how to run it.  I truly appreciate every single order that you all have made.  You are literally keeping the roof over my head right now as I grow and establish myself in the craft community.  Without them, I would have to get a second job to pay the bills.  Thank you so much for keeping my dream alive!

Well, you've been one of the best GB runners I've encountered. Your level of detail, care, and communication are off the chart. I don't think anyone wants a rushed product after seeing the fantastic results of the first batch, and I really don't think a price adjustment moving forward is  unreasonable. :)

I appreciate all your hard work, Rob. After this initial gb, I don't think you'll have a problem filling your monthly quota!

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 10:40:23 »
These look good I'm so mad I missed out on these. Hopefully there will be a round two.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 14:48:41 »

Well, you've been one of the best GB runners I've encountered. Your level of detail, care, and communication are off the chart. I don't think anyone wants a rushed product after seeing the fantastic results of the first batch, and I really don't think a price adjustment moving forward is  unreasonable. :)

I appreciate all your hard work, Rob. After this initial gb, I don't think you'll have a problem filling your monthly quota!

Agreed with all of these points. I originally got one of these rests for my 60% and given the great communication and pictures i've seen so far (I'm in the last batch i think) I'll be the first one to hop onto a TKL sized one.

As far as suggestions, I would absolutely looove to see a wenge wrist rest. Or perhaps you could investigate other techniques to influence the burn design (different mounts of the burning part or varied voltage/current perhaps?).

Totally understandable with the cost increase too :)

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 08:08:10 »
Thank you all for the kind words, support and understanding!

That makes me feel REALLY good.  If I had customers like you when I was running automotive repair shops, I might have never left the industry.  So...win-win?

I thought I posted this
(Attachment Link)

Ahhh that looks awesome.  That Walnut/Purple combo is one of my favorites.  Thank you for the picture!  Would you mind if I use this for social media/website posts?  You are welcome to watermark the photo so you get full credit.

Agreed with all of these points. I originally got one of these rests for my 60% and given the great communication and pictures i've seen so far (I'm in the last batch i think) I'll be the first one to hop onto a TKL sized one.

As far as suggestions, I would absolutely looove to see a wenge wrist rest. Or perhaps you could investigate other techniques to influence the burn design (different mounts of the burning part or varied voltage/current perhaps?).

Totally understandable with the cost increase too :)

I don't think it will be a problem to burn.  I have burned some incredibly dense woods (like Ipe and Jatoba) without issue.  But each wood reacts differently to the conductive solution that I use and I haven't had a chance to test Wenge as its pretty cost prohibitive and there in a minimum order quantity at my sawyer.  The solution I use reacts with the tannins and compounds in the wood, resulting in discoloration.  Sometimes I can mitigate it with an acid wash, but other times the staining cannot be reversed.  I would hate to take a bunch of orders, buy the lumber and find out afterwards that I can't produce the expected result.  I have been buying a lot of lumber from them recently, so next time I go in I will ask if they have any scraps or drops for me to play with.  The other issue (which is more of a personal thing) is that Wenge is on the IUCN endangered list due to exploitation and climate related issues.  With so many other fantastic wood species available, it feels irresponsible to contribute to its decline.  I always look for responsibly sourced materials whenever possible.  For example, in my area we are loosing all of the Ash trees to Emerald Ash Borer Beetles and many are being cut down to reduce their spread.  Soon they will be quite rare, but all that wood ends up in someones fireplace.  I would rather work with rare wood that is being felled with purpose, or would otherwise end up as charcoal.  You can check out the details on Wenge and other species on this website.  Its an awesome resource:

https://www.wood-database.com/wenge/

These look good I'm so mad I missed out on these. Hopefully there will be a round two.

Definitely going to be more rounds!  I just want to do smaller batches to keep things fresh and maintain quality.  I enjoy making them, but any time you do a repetitive process, you loose focus.  I want each piece to receive the same focus on detail.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 22:51:21 »
Ahhh that looks awesome.  That Walnut/Purple combo is one of my favorites.  Thank you for the picture!  Would you mind if I use this for social media/website posts?  You are welcome to watermark the photo so you get full credit.
Sure! Don't worry about a watermark. It's a phone potato.