Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 793284 times)

Offline Zoro_Senpaii

Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 17:07:37 »
Feels good to finally be apart if the hacking community. My wallet does not thank me... It took me a few weeks to finally receive the email conformation, but that is the past now. After finding r/mechanicalkeyboard on reddit, I fell in love. Ordered my first keeb, durgod k320, and I love it. BUT I WANTED MORE. So I built myfirst custom with the DZ60 RGB Ansi from KBDfans, and it is a beauty. I am still at the pregame phase, but I can see the end is near (waiting for the tofu case, and the gok kiro shiro key caps). I love the community driven commerce five sure. I cant wait to see the next case or key caps I cant say no too (however my wallet can wait a while lol)

If you read this, cheers, and happy hacking!

Offline airstrike

« Reply #801 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 13:34:58 »
As a long time lurker and proud owner of the cheapest 60% keyboard I could find (Anne Pro), I'm glad to be a part of this community. Looking forward to being active on ICs and joining a GB soon, and really sorry I missed on a lot of good stuff.... Thanks for building this amazing place

Offline sojourntv

« Reply #802 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 02:44:34 »
Been into Mechanical Keyboards for a long time now. Just introduced to the custom scene last Christmas. Currently rocking a kbd75 with Kailh Box Pale Blue switches. Waiting on my Metropolis set from Nephlock. Also in the process of restoring some old keyboards of mine.

Hope to be able to do my own group buy soon for some LED millmax hotswap sockets that I found that work great on my kbd75 after some personal research.

Offline cspirou

« Reply #803 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 09:00:53 »
Hi!,

I figure this is where new members introduce themselves. I'm somewhat new to mechanical keyboards but I'm an experienced DIY electronics guy. I plan on building my own keyboard and this seems like a good place to learn a lot about the hobby. I currently have a CMStorm Trigger with Cherry Blue switches, but one of the keys is acting up so I'm not using it until I get it fixed.

Part of the reason I want to build a keyboard is of course because it's fun, but also because I use a Mac and I am based in Europe so I need something custom that is not QWERTY. Hopefully I discover enough about the process to get something I like.

Happy to be here,
cspirou

Offline My Intentions

« Reply #804 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 19:45:48 »
Sad we cant post right away to classifieds, but I understand... Hello all!

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #805 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 02:29:10 »
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster. I haven't been in the hobby for too long. Not sure what to put here, but a little about me: I prefer tactile switches, the more tactile the better. I have a TKL, a 65% and a 60%; currently with MX Clear and Holy Panda.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:11:00 by tobiasvl »

Offline vonCheerios

« Reply #806 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 17:56:28 »
Hola Amigos.

I've got 99 problems, but keycaps ain't one.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:22:36 by vonCheerios »

Offline MENSANurse

« Reply #807 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 03:09:07 »
Hi all. I'm new to custom keyboards in general. just joined to learn more before building my first one

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #808 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 05:12:14 »
thank you for the information. just recently found this place. looks like it'll be a solid resource.

Offline Kashtan

« Reply #809 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 10:21:50 »
Hi to all.
I try to finding keyboard or my dream, and i think im on right place.
Best regards.

Offline Popopro

« Reply #810 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:34:13 »
Been around the mechanical keyboard community for a while now and finally decided to join Geekhack.

Offline Spoony

« Reply #811 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 05:20:38 »
Hello,
Currently building my third 60% keyboard but have been a bit of a lurker around here. Good to finally be a part of the community, even though I can already see myself bombarding these forums with questions.

Offline monkeycap198

• Moonkey
« Reply #812 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 08:13:35 »
Been surrounded by mech keyboards. Didn't understand the hype until trying to use one with full set up.

Offline watermelan

« Reply #813 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 15:20:48 »
Hey hey, I just got into mechs recently and am already in way too deep...but have never posted here! Looking forward to spending all my money with you fine people.

Offline sarabee

« Reply #814 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 20:02:53 »
I've been lurking for a few months but have learned a lot!

I've had a HHKB for years and always admired cool keycaps from afar but kept my wallet safe with the mistaken belief that I could have either my beloved layout or pretty keycaps, but not both. Somehow it didn't occur to me that (of course) you can build an mx keyboard in HHKB layout (and also that there are cute Topre-compatible keycaps out there). I've built my first one and am excited to keep exploring (responsibly).

Offline syrup

• rapper and ****
    • syrup.fyi
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 08:37:43 »
Yo. Just joined after lurking r/mechanicalkeyboards for a while. Finished my first ever build yesterday, a ut47.2 with Kaihl Speed Pinks. Hopeful that I can find some nice new keycaps for it here, and maybe find my next keyboard, too, and the next after that one and ohhh god my wallet.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #816 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 02:08:25 »
Salutations!

I'm not exactly new around here, but I have been away for some time, so I feel as though I am.

Can someone please tell me if there is a hard-and-fast rule in place concerning posting to old threads?  I'd as soon post to old threads rather than start new ones, which is why I ask.

Offline porschepotty

« Reply #817 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:26:23 »
Hello, I'm around 6 months into mechanical keyboards, don't have a custom yet but plan to build one soon. I've modded to my store bought keyboard to heck with quite significant improvements, and am probably headed much deeper. I've lurked here a few times in the past, and find that this site has an impressive trove of knowledge on mechanical keyboards, so here I am.

Offline Kubish

« Reply #818 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 22:07:24 »
Hello everyone! I have just created an account after a month of looking for keyboard and mouse. I was surprised how much you can customize your keyboard. Anyway, I am a programmer who likes old ThinkPads, Linux, open source and after a week of my research, Trackballs and of course IBM Model M's.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #819 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 08:43:28 »
This is probably the first time in the last two years that I visited this thread. Just want to welcome you guys and tell you: Watch your wallet. This hobby is a money and time sucker, as most of the hobbies are. Just beware.

Offline xiaonile

« Reply #820 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 20:01:25 »
Ohai, just read the welcome message...you really mean I gotta get out of my comfy lurker bubble? Oh man...

Anyhow...finally made an account after 1 year into this hobby (and a fair bit o' lurking on these forums)...only 1 custom keeb for now...but I love it very much :)

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #821 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 02:37:25 »
Ohai, just read the welcome message...you really mean I gotta get out of my comfy lurker bubble? Oh man...

Anyhow...finally made an account after 1 year into this hobby (and a fair bit o' lurking on these forums)...only 1 custom keeb for now...but I love it very much :)

Welcome!

Offline RocketScience

« Reply #822 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 11:44:47 »
Heyo! I have recently started diving into the Mechanical Keyboard world and I decided to join. I am currently looking for my first MK... it's also going to be my birthday present to myself :). I am looking for a board with the KIRA like layout but in either solid aluminum/metal. I have also looked into the F77 but their website says it is sold out. Anyways, if anyone can help point me in some direction on finding a unique build I would appreciate it. I am also looking to get a built board... I don't really have the time right now to complete my own kit.

Not sure if that is much of an intro as a rant but I am super stoked to be joining the MK community!

Offline nyihtway81

« Reply #823 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 04:06:49 »
Hello from Singapore.
I've been using Mechas (yeah, I called them Mecha .. sounds legit, right?) for about a year already. Started with Magiforce 108 keys CherryMX browns, switched to a local-brand TKL with Gateron Blues in the middle and now ended up with Gateron Red Anne Pro II 60% Mecha right now. I'm gonna go slowly to get myself into modding the current APII or making a new DIY one. wish me luck.

Offline mutthunt

« Reply #824 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 12:08:24 »
I bought my first mechanical keyboard in 2017 and have been lurking around discussions for the past few years while buying a few extra caps and alike.
I mainly registered an account so I could track the GMK Handarbeit+ group buy i'm in on.

Thanks for having me

Offline Moy_a96

« Reply #825 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 14:12:30 »
Hey guys, so excited to have found this community! Started getting into mechanical keyboards like 6 months ago and had no idea a DIY scene existed until like 2 days ago haha. Gonna start small but I can't wait to get more custom. I'm an industrial designer and i'm already sketching up cases and keycaps lol, so inspiring seeing all this cool stuff on here.

Offline MadBinton

• 40/45/65/75% user
« Reply #826 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:20:44 »
Hi there! Figured I'd jump in here as well.

Long time mech fanatic, getting dragged into modding stuff now...

Have had a Filco Majestouch 600's yeaaaars ago with MX Black (2003? now lost to me)
Later got a Razer stealth with MX browns. Yuck, big mistake, I'm so sorry guys.
Ducky Shine 1 with MX Blue, which I later modded the stabs off and lubed. (with pretty bad stuff)
Ducky Mini (60%) with Reds (that was fairly new stuff back then in 2008!) that got me hooked on smaller factors and linear switches.
Grabbed a Ducky Zero 1601 later on, also with reds.
TEX Beetle, picked up pretty randomly when my Mini got stolen. Still have that board in daily use at work! Love the layout and build quality of it!
Then bought a couple of Vortexes, but the Race 3 is my favourite. Got rid of the Pok3r, I much prefer 65% or 75% over 60%.

So far never bothered to replace all switches on board, only done repairs. Jumping into the first GB on here today. So far always just opted for the in stock options. And always ran into problems where the layouts of the Race 3 / Beetle don't mesh too well with custom keycaps.

Either way, after years of using GH as just a resource, time to get a bit more active.

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #827 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 13:34:20 »
greetings all. I have a question regarding sigs. The keycap banners all seem quite similar. is there a repository that most members use or do they just create their own keycap banner and bbcode it?

Offline HodiernAl

« Reply #828 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 15:50:35 »
Hello all, I'm from down under! When I was a poor uni student I would buy mech keyboards second hand as I loved the feeling but didn't have the money.  I have only just recently bought my first brand new custom keyboard! Joining the forum after going to a MK Meetup and now I'm in search of my end game  :D

Currently using Keycool 84 (Bluetooth version) with Cherry MX Clears and YMDK Back Grey White keycaps. Good budget board and caps from AliExpress I reckon.

Offline TireGod17

« Reply #829 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 10:28:02 »
I just found this awesome superior race by watching a few videos on YouTube. Now I’m hooked. I would like to thanx randomfrankp and taeha types. These custom boards are quite and high-quality. I just bought my first custom board on kbdfans. It’s just a Tofu 60% with novelkeys creams not lubed or modded. Sorry for this was little scared to build myself. It blows my $40 board I bought from Walmart out of the water. I am saving up now to build my own from start to finish. Can’t wait. There are too many choices and very little money to pick just one. I’m currently looking at the Rama M65. So thank you for brining me into this family.  How really needs money to live when you can buy a custom board.

Offline enyfour5

« Reply #830 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 16:27:22 »
Hey guys, new member here and I'm totally fascinated by this community! I'm trying to build up enough knowledge to create my own custom keyboard! I hope to learn a lot from these forums!

Offline meymeynard

• someone who code while sniffing Vicks
« Reply #831 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 05:41:12 »
Hello. I'm just new.

I have a Ducky Shine 3 TKL keyboard with Cherry MX Browns and PBT Dolch keycaps.
I also have a Corsair K63 TKL Wireless with Cherry MX Reds, stock keycaps wth o-rings.
And finally, I have a EEWP/XD84 keyboard with Hako Clears lubed with Krytox.

I haven't build one. I just buy a used keyboard and have their switches be replaced and keycaps as well.

I joined here hoping I could spend more money on these. RIP wallet.

Anyway, thank you!

Offline Greywolf

« Reply #832 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:55:41 »
Greetings!  I've been bitten by the keyboard bug -- really, the retro bug, if I think about it (but then my head starts to hurt)...

Currently, I have a couple Corsair K95RGB [original, with the 18 G-keys on the left] and a newer K70RGB.  I'm looking to build a keyboard suite consisting of a TKL/FKL main board, a TKP for the right side, and a 4x6 macro keypad for the left side.  I'm doing this because I'm having a hard time finding a keyboard with the following mods:

[ESC] directly above [TAB] and left of [1];
[`] and [\] taking up two individual keyspots where the [Backspace] key is usually found;
[Backspace] where [ \ ] currently lives (above [Return] (don't correct me.  I did say retro.));
[Control] left of [A];
[Caps Lock] somewhere irrelevant, but present.

And, of course, an SA-profile engraved key set.

Offline bobbyjimmy

« Reply #833 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 20:02:22 »
Hello - found the forum from the Google machine and r/mechanicalkeyboards.
Had the generic Corsair and Logitech mechs (even got work to buy them for 7 or so people), then got a Tada68 and things changed for the better.
Want to build my own 65/68, just waiting on the right board - or maybe I'll buy one, then another, then another, ctrl c ctrl v...

Offline Benjamin1000000

« Reply #834 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 06:46:32 »
Hello  :D
My model m has these mysteries symbols and I cant identify them, anyone have any ideas?

Offline nomad-fr

« Reply #835 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 11:43:58 »
Hi, I'm a new member I found you with Google and r/mechanicalkeyboards too.

I begin my love with keyboard a few years ago (I think 16 or 17 years) with a hhkb lite 2, but it suffer of to much beer water ... liquid inside. I think he just have trouble with space bar.
I think it's really really not clean since I don't use it a lot. At home I use laptop a lot.

But I use 'real' keyboard at job. I tried several 60% Logitech Bluetooth multidevices Keyboards K810 K380, but I'm not really happy has I was with my HappyHacking.

I'm thinking of building my own since I wanted some specific features :

- 60%
- ansi qwerty layout with dedicated arrow
- bluetooth multi-device
- usb c
- qmk : open firmware
- blank key caps for letters
- if possible hot-swapable switches
- has slim has possible

I think the PCB BIOI G60BLE 60% hot-swapable version will match my need, but not sure about the multi-devices capabilities and also about a layout with dedicated arrow (on the hot-swapable version).

Happy to arrive in here and hope I will find my need here.

Offline RageDemons

« Reply #836 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 08:34:02 »
Hey hi hello,

Haven't been a new member to a form in a while and hoping this one serves me well. Still fairly new to the keyboard world but past the noob phase, after spending, trying, spending, spending on different boards/switch/cap combo. Look forward to learning more from everyone here!

Offline whitepine

« Reply #837 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 08:38:48 »
Hello,
I am a unfamiliar with this type of board.  I am not a geek.  I do have an interest in programmable keyboards and repair of same.
I do not understand why there are so FEW programmable keyboards.  Seems to me that anyone who computes would desire and use a keyboard with dedicated programmable keys for macro long-ins, etc.

In my short life, I have gone through 2 Gateways, 2 Adesso's, 1 Logitech, and now, a big pain in the ass --my Corsair k95.

Corsair help /support was meaningless and NOT helpful at all. :mad:

All I want to do is bring back functionality of my G1-18 keys.

Anyone know how to repair of fix this?  Do I need a new chip or what?>
Corsair is of NO help :mad:....no information and no parts.  Will NEVER buy another Corsair product. :mad:

What about steelseries? 
Others brands with dedicated programmable keys.

Who, if anyone, repairs Corsair's?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #838 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 09:24:06 »
Hello,
I am a unfamiliar with this type of board.  I am not a geek.  I do have an interest in programmable keyboards and repair of same.
I do not understand why there are so FEW programmable keyboards.  Seems to me that anyone who computes would desire and use a keyboard with dedicated programmable keys for macro long-ins, etc.

In my short life, I have gone through 2 Gateways, 2 Adesso's, 1 Logitech, and now, a big pain in the ass --my Corsair k95.

Corsair help /support was meaningless and NOT helpful at all. :mad:

All I want to do is bring back functionality of my G1-18 keys.

Anyone know how to repair of fix this?  Do I need a new chip or what?>
Corsair is of NO help :mad:....no information and no parts.  Will NEVER buy another Corsair product. :mad:

What about steelseries? 
Others brands with dedicated programmable keys.

Who, if anyone, repairs Corsair's?

Edit: I moved my response to your thread where the same question is asked. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103909.msg2845773#msg2845773

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2019, 10:12:20 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Basckk

« Reply #839 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 11:56:30 »
Hello hello,

I’ve recently gotten into keyboards and still learning about them and the community. Definitely have lurked on here and r/mechanicalkeyboards for some time. I own a Corsair k70 rapidfire (speed silver switches) and the HyperX with Cherry Brown switches (LOL a regret), and a I’ve used the RK71 with blue switches (I believe it was a rebranded Kailh switch), but after trying other boards as well I never felt like they fulfilled exactly what I was looking for. Then I found out about custom keyboards through Taeha Types and r/mechanicalkeyboards...life changing.

I am looking to build my first custom soon and have just finished lubing my first set of switches, Zealios V2 65g. I’m looking forward to see this community grow and what it has in store! 🤩

Offline vibram

« Reply #840 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 00:59:28 »
Hello
new to the community and mec keyboard thing :)
I have a small workshop with lathe, mill etc but not CNC sadly ;)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #841 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 15:54:59 »
I have no clue , I’m staying at HR in Dominican

Offline Quercus

• I have not been murdered.
« Reply #842 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:59:39 »
Hello!

I've had the bug for a little while now. I started with purchases of cheap and then nice mechanical keebs. Then I restored a 1987 model M, which I love and use at work. Then I progressed to builds with a keebio bdn9 3x3 macropad, then a maypad numbpad which is currently sitting beside my Vortex Core 40% in the tray left when I took out the garbage membrane keyboard on my ThinkPad laptop.

I currently have a Keebio Nyquist kit with Cherry Blues that I have not yet built. I got a Royal 2001 typewriter delivered today. I've pulled out the keyboard with early Cherry M9 switches (3 with red leds) and super heavy round sculpted keycaps. That will probably be a hand wired keeb, unless I can find a wiring diagram that would allow me to isolate the keeb circuitry. If I can do that, I would make an acrylic case and have a super geek oldschool keeb.

I HATE the price of good keycaps. The typewriter shipped was less than half the cost of a Nuclear base kit from PMK. I like the DSA profile caps. I carved a walnut key to replace the "Win" key on my Vortex Core because I am all about Linux.

I hope to learn a lot from people that know much more than I do. It was a typewriter keyboard conversion thread that brought me here.

TL/DR: Hello and I love buying/modding/restoring/building keebs and I love Linux.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:26:53 by Quercus »

Offline hactar

« Reply #843 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:08:02 »

Dude, you skipped the beginner step and went straight to pro? That's just not the natural order of things....

I went to a "used computer parts" shop and picked a keyboard out of a box because I liked it.  $6.  Turns out it's a FS/2 Model M from 1986.  Score!  Still using it, though now I'm looking for a full-size ortholinear and not finding one.
Code: [Select]
  pfmlj
qbyurso
kcdtheaz
xgvwni 

Offline GeekFreeek

« Reply #844 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:27:36 »
Hello Everyone! I'm super excited to learn more about this hobby! Started on Reddit and now I'm here :)

Offline BareSphereMass

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #845 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:55:28 »
How do I get the mini keyboards under my name, I could not figure it out.
Current Keebs:  Atreus 42 (hand wired)  |  Anne Pro 2  |  Prime_E  |  Prime_Meridian
Next Keebs:  Polycarbonate Alice  |  Type-K  |  Wood Case Keeb
Current Keycaps:  OEM (POM & PBT)  |  SA R3 (PBT)  |  DSA (PBT)  |  MT3 Camillo  |  GMK Apollo  |  Deskr Canyon Caps  |  MT3 LotR Elvish  |  GMK Civilizations
Current ArtisansDwarf Factory Artisans (2x)  |  Rama x Keycult Brass (1x)  |  Holyoops D.VA Aluminum (cherry R4)  |  Walnut OEM R4  |  3D Printed Pikachu
On Order:   GMK Pharaoh (est. April 2024)
Other:   ZealPC Clickiez

Offline Chaugnaar

« Reply #846 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:43:52 »
Hi everyone !

I've been lurking around for few weeks so I've decided to make an account :)

Offline dANii2k

« Reply #847 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 08:59:02 »
New here so just saying Hi. Looking to get my hands on either a 75% or a 60%. I am totally new to mechboards so this all seems a bit overwhelming, guess i'll just browse/roam the forums for a while.

Offline yumonk

« Reply #848 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 15:59:00 »
thanks for the tips, and how do you know i have spent all my money ? XD

Offline JL

« Reply #849 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 20:57:55 »
I'm new to the hobby as well  :) I've been lurking around looking at upcoming designs and resisting the urge to buy all of them  :p I've been looking into getting into designing my own caps creating something that people like! I'm hoping I can learn more from here!