Author Topic: Race constant LED on  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
Race constant LED on
« on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 12:13:10 »
The suckiest thing about KBT Race is that LED resets on restart. This means you have to do Fn key mashing to re-enable the LEDs constantly.

Anyone think this might be modded to make the LED stay on always? By soldering somehow. I have experience with digital circuits but not so much with soldering.
If anyone has a hi res picture of the PCB that would be great.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2012, 12:15:01 by Cindori »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
Re: Race constant LED on
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 14:54:05 »
if you plug it into a powered usb hub it will stay on due to the powered usb hub using a dedicated power source.

make sure the usb hub has a separate ac adapter.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 14:58:48 »
if it were a single key i would say you could just jump it but it requires an fn+key combination, so it's handled by the controller. not that it wouldn't be possible, just harder to do.

domoaligato -- that would work but it would be on ALL the time, and i think Cindori just wants it to come on automatically whenever the computer sends power.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:28:05 »
The original Ducky Shine has this problem, but I don't reboot that often so it is not that much of a problem.

But if there is a simple hack that can be done, well ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 10:25:07 »
I forget if this happens on windows or linux, but when I had it connected to my Mac at work it would turn the LEDs off whenever the mac went to sleep too not just power off :\
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:51:45 »
I forget if this happens on windows or linux, but when I had it connected to my Mac at work it would turn the LEDs off whenever the mac went to sleep too not just power off :\

well thats how sleep works. every led keyboard will behave the same.

its not the issue that it turns off, its the issue that I need to do hotkey dance with my fingers on every boot to get my preferred lightning mode.

here is hires pics of race boards:

Right click - Show image to get full sized.

That holtek controller is for the keyboard. I wonder what the other thing is. It looks a bit smeared, like someone wiped the text off it....

I´m not too comfortable with circuit boards, but I guess its likely to be that component responsible for the LEDS.

However, the thingies to the lower right also caught my eye. Are they D-elements? (state components) they are labeled Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:54:13 »
those are the DIP switches that swap keys around but i dont think that any of them keep the LEDs on.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:58:17 »
Ok Good
That rules those out!
We are making progress ;-)

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 20:11:43 »
I guess mac and PC is different - the mac goes to 'sleep' aka the screen turns off and all power to USB seems to be cut, whereas a PC goes to sleep and the screen just turns off.  Standby is a whole 'nother thing.  Would be cool though for the keyboard to have a memory and start back up at the same brightness/LED setting.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Race constant LED on
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 01:18:26 »
I guess mac and PC is different - the mac goes to 'sleep' aka the screen turns off and all power to USB seems to be cut, whereas a PC goes to sleep and the screen just turns off.  Standby is a whole 'nother thing.  Would be cool though for the keyboard to have a memory and start back up at the same brightness/LED setting.
sleep and standy have merged with win7