Author Topic: [interest check] Glass design  (Read 5967 times)

Offline editor22

[interest check] Glass design
« on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 07:32:36 »
Hey there Geekhack boys and girls! I have recently been thrust into the crazy world of mechanical keyboards and all things peripherals :) On looking for a new unit I noticed that everything was a bit "plain" I know from spending a fair amount of time lurking in the forums that a great deal love the classic plain look but I wanted something with a simple yet stylish design.

I have been designing and building custom PC parts for a while now and have a nice little 3 axis CNC in the workshop as well as free access to 3D printing technology to run up prototypes. What I would really like to know is,

What do you guys think to the look of this?

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
Re: [interest check] Glass design
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 07:39:35 »
It looks extremely un-ergonomic. Most users here prefer smaller layout boards so that you can have the mouse closer to the board. With a keyboard like that, you would have to move your hand way too long distance.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 08:47:55 »
Looks nice but seems unergonomic as stated. Are the two supports at the sides the only feet? Even with a support under the front middle, I believe it will wobble when the corners are pressed. Looking forward to your progress though.

Offline editor22

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 09:09:33 »
It looks extremely un-ergonomic. Most users here prefer smaller layout boards so that you can have the mouse closer to the board. With a keyboard like that, you would have to move your hand way too long distance.

Is that a smaller layout as in no num pad Cindori?

Looks nice but seems unergonomic as stated. Are the two supports at the sides the only feet? Even with a support under the front middle, I believe it will wobble when the corners are pressed. Looking forward to your progress though.

It would have the side supports but then also has two supports in the front to stop the rocking

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 09:14:09 »
Yes TKL is quite popular here, however there is also a layout becoming known as TK where the nav cluster is deleted instead of the numpad.  Also, even smaller layouts are popular that have neither nav or numpad. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 15:05:01 »
Making a keyboard higher would be bad. You would want the keyboard to be as low on the desk surface as possible. Some people even place their keyboards in their laps.

Personally, I don't like the look of transparent computing equipment.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 15:50:15 »
Welcome to Geekhacks.

Aesthetically, I think it is an interesting look. It would look nice on a glass top. I think it would look better with chiclet style caps because of the thinness of its form, the standard keycaps look a bit top heavy to my eye. The standoffs could be uv glued to the desktop to make it a true cantilevered design but I doubt that a fixed location would be practical for a typical work station.

It's naked design probably limits its ergonomic flexibility such as sloping it or adding a wrist rest. It would probably be best suited at something like an ATM machine at a high end hotel where aesthetics would trump practicality.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 20:19:54 »
If the glass could be cut out in the center so that the keys protruded through it, you might have something amazing.

Consider photos installed on underside of the glass so that the surround could be whatever you wanted!

Customers could supply their own photos, and see their keypads rising up out of the Grand Canyon, for example.

Nice work.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 20:55:05 »
as compact, yet as efficient as possible!
SmallFry! <3

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 22:36:30 »
I'd always be getting scratched by the corners of that thing. Also might not be very good in terms of damage resistance.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 22:42:05 »
Aluminum cases gets scratches easily.
SmallFry! <3

Offline editor22

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 11:49:59 »
Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys :)

(and for the welcome kurplop :)) )

I think Kerplop hit the nail on the head, this would be a design for those who are looking to pimp their desk. I do think though that by taking in what you guys have put forward I could change the design to better suit the ergonomic hunting user!

Personally I could never live without the numpad and nav keys, I just use them way to much! However the basic design could allow for different sizes. You can't really make it out in that render but the key board section is more of a tray (1.5mm folded & powder coated) steel. this tray has a small lip around the edge that screws the tray into the glass frame.

I guess I could design it so the numpad is detachable and remains in the glass frame. That way anyone wanting a smaller keyboard sitting perfectly flat to the desk could simply remove the tray section. When style is required or use of the numpad just slot it back in and let the neo magnets hold it in place.

Offline silat

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 16:04:39 »
Not all of us want keyboards sans keypad.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 05:26:29 »
'mornin Ed

I love the idea of a glass keyboard, though I don't see myself using one.  Can I give you some food for thought?  A glass (or acrylic, not sure 1.54mm of glass could withstand the abuse - interesting experiment though... and with sufficient structural supports I'm sure it would be fine) plate would add to the transparency which would allow the showing off of a glass pcb...  It limits you to two layers, but I think that's enough for a keyboard, no?

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 06:10:23 »
Not all of us want keyboards sans keypad.

Ofc not, but that design adds like 10cm unusable space to the right of the numpad. It will force you to place the mouse alot to the right, creating a really awkward angle on your arm.

TKL advantage explained:

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2012, 06:14:06 by Cindori »

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:41:06 »
Oh you'd love my desk then... from left to right a 60% board, a space pilot, a 9x15" tablet, a number pad, a trackball.  :))

Offline GeoTang

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 19:42:48 »
The height of the keycaps kind of clashes with the sleek look you're trying to achieve. You might want to use the form of the g80-3800 keycaps instead.
I wish I was proficient enough to draw up designs myself ._.

Offline tufty

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 04:23:41 »
TKL advantage explained:
If you're sticking with a "conventional" layout (especially with staggered keys and qwerty), rotating your upper arm to get at the mouse is the least of your problems.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
[interest check] Glass design
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 06:24:40 »
Best looking award.