Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 124691 times)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:06:21 »
I'm really into my 45g right now, but haven't tried a 55g..someone feel free to let me borrow one :)

I'm curious, daerid/bro caps bro, which mx switches do you like the best?

Edit- Also, where can one grab a 104 uniform?

Ergo clear is pretty much the only cherry switch I can stand. I don't even use Cherry boards much anymore. With my hhkb at work, and 55g rf at home, no room for a lesser species on my desk :)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:21:36 »
Browns, hands down. Blues are a bit behind browns. But even browns start to make my knuckles sore after a couple hours

+1 here.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:38:22 »
I'm now getting used to the RF 55g. And it just has changed for the better in feel. I may end up modding it with the red thin WASD o-rings.

Edit;
browns are my favorite MX as well. Waiting for the WASD v2 so I can get a barebones one and throw the Vortex caps on it.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 03:03:22 »
I'm really into my 45g right now, but haven't tried a 55g..someone feel free to let me borrow one :)

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf104&pid=yk2100

45g uniform. It's the "high-profile" version, but it still has the same 4mm key travel. I think there's another thread around here on it. Not sure if anybody likes it. I didn't read any of the comments about it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 03:04:45 »

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf104&pid=yk2100

45g uniform. It's the "high-profile" version, but it still has the same 4mm key travel. I think there's another thread around here on it. Not sure if anybody likes it. I didn't read any of the comments about it.

Sadly that ones already out of stock.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 08:30:17 »
There is no cheap way to try topres...i'd like to try them out.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:21:51 »

About a month ago I bought a type s for 350

A few days ago I sold it for 340

I would call that a negligible difference :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:54:45 »
I've been considering a RealForce 87u but I'm torn between 45g uniform vs. a 55g uniform. I have a HHKB Pro 2 and love it for typing but I like my Cherry MX black TKL for gaming but extended typing gets too fatiguing. Would a 55g be a good choice for a all purpose use, since I already have a 45g HHKB. I would appreciate any input from the Topre experts in this thread.
After all the input from this thread I ordered a 87u 55g unifrom from EK and can't wait to check it out. I will post later with my feelings after a few a days of use. Thanks to all for the useful info on this thread.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:03:42 »
I've been considering a RealForce 87u but I'm torn between 45g uniform vs. a 55g uniform. I have a HHKB Pro 2 and love it for typing but I like my Cherry MX black TKL for gaming but extended typing gets too fatiguing. Would a 55g be a good choice for a all purpose use, since I already have a 45g HHKB. I would appreciate any input from the Topre experts in this thread.
After all the input from this thread I ordered a 87u 55g unifrom from EK and can't wait to check it out. I will post later with my feelings after a few a days of use. Thanks to all for the useful info on this thread.

Yes, I'm on the verge of getting a Realforce...I would also like to know which feels better. If the 55g causes fatiguing, I probably will get the 45g.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:25:56 »

Yes, I'm on the verge of getting a Realforce...I would also like to know which feels better. If the 55g causes fatiguing, I probably will get the 45g.
Since I have a HHKB I use for textual input I think a 55g RealForce will be good for all purpose use like web surfing gaming etc. (I hope)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #410 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:39:15 »

I can see there possibly being a problem with fatigue if you require very light switches, or have some issue with your fingers/knuckles requiring a super light touch. In my personal view though, if you can type all day on browns/blues, then the 55g will be just fine. It mainly depends on how much tactility you prefer. The 55g has a much more crisp and snappy feeling to the key, whereas the 45g is much more subdued (almost linear on some keys).

Offline morpheus

« Reply #411 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:51:27 »

I can see there possibly being a problem with fatigue if you require very light switches, or have some issue with your fingers/knuckles requiring a super light touch. In my personal view though, if you can type all day on browns/blues, then the 55g will be just fine. It mainly depends on how much tactility you prefer. The 55g has a much more crisp and snappy feeling to the key, whereas the 45g is much more subdued (almost linear on some keys).

I see. My muscle memory is most adjusted to browns/blues, so I guess it should be fine. I tried blacks and they cause me fatigue which is why I don't use it. Buckling Springs, while are insanely fun to type on, also get tiring after typing all day. I think it's because I bottom out quite frequently. Thanks for the advice though!

Offline nar

« Reply #412 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 17:25:36 »

About a month ago I bought a type s for 350

A few days ago I sold it for 340

I would call that a negligible difference :)

You can also get a few cheap deals for realforces if you buy from Amazon Japan (and use a service like Tenso). Something like a Japanese Layout Beige Topre for $165 shipped or something like that (I think that specific deal has sold out though).
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #413 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:04:02 »
Coming from a 45g to a 55g, the 55g does feel sturdier with better feedback on each key press. I bought my 45g a couple years ago afraid that the 55g might be too heavy. I should've gotten the 55g in the first place because that's where Topre's should be at. Though, I probably would've bought the 45g  just to know how it is. If want to try out topre, go for the 55g. My favorite switch by far right now. Haven't touched an MX switch for a week now and that's a long time for me. lol

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:12:01 »
<evil laugh />

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:15:29 »
<username>daerid-55g</username>

Offline babyhands

« Reply #416 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:28:38 »
Hey guys, I really didn't feel like reading through 12 pages, nor did I think it was acceptable to start a new thread when this exists:
I am a gamer, mostly sc2 (fairly high level, and only getting better) and dota. How are topre's for gaming? I first was interested in mechanical keyboards for the NKRO, because when playing mmo's my old keyboard wouldn't be able to register all of the buttons i was pressing. Any who, I am assuming topre's don't have NKRO? I guess it isn't that big of a deal because now that I play sc2 mainly I don't really need it, but this still stands, how do you guys feel they are for gaming? Also, maybe its just me, but in the pictures the f keys look kinda far away from the number row. As my username suggests, I do have small hands, and like my keybinds as close together as possible, so are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures? Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #417 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:37:13 »
Ok daerid and Caps, knock it off. You're breeding discontent among us variable boys. I can see this may come down to an Anchorman street fight...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:26:03 »
55g 4LYF3!!!!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:35:51 »
Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

They say that, because it's true. Hope all you want. If you don't want to feel like you are typing on the best quality, smoothest feeling rubber dome you ever tried, don't get a Topre. The rubber dome, er cup, is what gives a Topre switch its tactile feeling and all of its mechanical action. The coiled spring is only there to provide capacitance for the electrical circuit.

I'm not hating!

You could give Topre a try. You might like it. You might even love it. You probably won't hate it. But it doesn't feel anything at all like a Cherry MX switch, brown or otherwise.

I now return you to the Topre worshippers club. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #420 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 04:43:06 »
God, I f*cking love my Topre. Its super silky key travel, and overall superior build quality of the switches is letting me type more accurately. Definitely upping my WPMs in typeracer. I just recently typed my best tonight at 138WPM.

I don't know about you folks with the 55g Topres. I find the 45g to be just perfect. :p

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #421 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 05:21:43 »
God, I f*cking love my Topre. Its super silky key travel, and overall superior build quality of the switches is letting me type more accurately. Definitely upping my WPMs in typeracer. I just recently typed my best tonight at 138WPM.

Show Image

I don't know about you folks with the 55g Topres. I find the 45g to be just perfect. :p

You know, I'm so friggin happy with my RF variable, I'm wondering what all these 55g troublemakers are squalling about. With that said, all this squalling makes me want to try a 55g board.

I remember when I dated Terry. It was the best EVER! Then I met Cheryl, who could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, and 'insisted' on doing so. Driving, bathroom at a get-together (that's a 'party' for you young trout sniffers), tent camping, wherever. She wasn't happy unless I reached the goal in the place through which she spoke. Well, obviously my benchmark for 'perfect' was reset at that point.

My point is...never think you've arrived at the 'perfect' place. It's only 'perfect' at that point in time because you've not had better...yet.

Never stop seeking...but while seeking, always be happy with what you have. Contentment is a choice, not a reaction.   :D

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #422 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 06:00:41 »
Haha... YES, it is a choice! And I choose to keep my 45g.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #423 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:21:11 »
Coming from a 45g to a 55g, the 55g does feel sturdier with better feedback on each key press. I bought my 45g a couple years ago afraid that the 55g might be too heavy. I should've gotten the 55g in the first place because that's where Topre's should be at. Though, I probably would've bought the 45g  just to know how it is. If want to try out topre, go for the 55g. My favorite switch by far right now. Haven't touched an MX switch for a week now and that's a long time for me. lol

Just a few questions (anybody can answer this for me)...

1. Are you a heavy handed typist?
2. What is the difference in feeling between a 45g and 55g? Is there a lot of difference?
3. Did you experience any fatigue with the 55g?
4. Is it as stiff as the Cherry Blacks?

Thanks.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:23:53 »

2. What is the difference in feeling between a 45g and 55g? Is there a lot of difference?

Thanks.

1. Yes, but felt more fatigue with cherry MX blacks
2. 55g is snappier. The higher pressure pops back fast and strong after depression, I think this might be what reduces fatigue for me
3. None
4. No, I don't think it is. Even in actual pressure weight, it is not (spring weight vs rubber resistance value)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #425 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:32:44 »

Thanks.

2. 55g is snappier. The higher pressure pops back fast and strong after depression, I think this might be what reduces fatigue for me
3. None
4. No, I don't think it is. Even in actual pressure weight, it is not (spring weight vs rubber resistance value)

1. I'm not a heavy handed typist by any means. I do bottom out frequently. Will it be hard for me to adjust coming from Browns and Blues?
2. How is the initial depression of the key on the 55g? Is there a lot more resistance than let's say the Cherry Browns or Blues?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #426 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:35:33 »

Thanks.

3. None

1. I'm not a heavy handed typist by any means. I do bottom out frequently. Will it be hard for me to adjust coming from Browns and Blues?
2. How is the initial depression of the key on the 55g? Is there a lot more resistance than let's say the Cherry Browns or Blues?

Definitely more than blues and browns, but not by much. I switch between 45g hhkb and 55g RF on a daily basis. I actually appreciate the higher pressure from the 55g for long periods of typing.

I am sure my case isn't the same as everyone else's, but you could definitely pick up a 55g, try it out, and if you don't like it, sell it again for minimal loss.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:38:30 »
Anyone here rock uniform 30g?

I tried one and for some reason loved it.

Offline Atakp

« Reply #428 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:15:30 »
Anyone here rock uniform 30g?

I tried one and for some reason loved it.

I used my 89s almost exclusively for a few months and enjoyed it for the most part, but it hasn't seen much desk time since I got the hhkb

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:53:26 »
Well, it's been a few weeks of using my 87U Silent full-time, coding all day.  I absolutely love this keyboard, even though it's quiet, the muddled "clunk" of each key press is satisfying.  But, most importantly, I haven't had the slightest bit of hand fatigue even after writing Java code for 8+ hours at a time. 

I'd love to get one of these at home, for sure.  I'm tempted to try a HHKB, but I'm a little worried about the different layout and how I'll adapt to that.  I do use Vi all day, so the layout is ideal for that, but at the same time I'm just not sure how I feel about non-standard layouts in general. 

My only complaint with the Realforce board is the seemingly narrow shape of the keys.  That's only if a gun was put to my head and I had to come up with something to complain about, it's ultimately not that big of a deal.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #430 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:16:25 »
These videos convince me more than ever to get a 55g...as you can see, the 45g does seem a bit mushy compared to the 55g, which doesn't seem that fatiguing here.

55g

Variable/45g?

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #431 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:40:04 »
55g hits the spot.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #432 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 14:00:14 »
These videos convince me more than ever to get a 55g...as you can see, the 45g does seem a bit mushy compared to the 55g, which doesn't seem that fatiguing here.

55g

Variable/45g?

Go for it!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 15:06:02 »
My biggest interest, is that the space bar might be PBT, like the other newer leopold space bars. If they would just come out with a white version....

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #434 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 15:09:17 »
My biggest interest, is that the space bar might be PBT, like the other newer leopold space bars. If they would just come out with a white version....

$175 spacebar :D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #435 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 15:10:04 »

$175 spacebar :D

Dang I put this in the wrong thread lol

Offline noons

« Reply #436 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:44:40 »
So I just got my realforce 87u 45g keyboard in the mail today. I love it! The HHKB that I owned briefly I loved as well, but the layout just wasn't for me. This keyboard honestly is perfect for me :D. I know a bunch of you are talking about 55g, but I cant imagine anything heavier these keys feel perfect.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #437 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:47:34 »
http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1365736667

this could be my first future topre board.

opinions from you topre users?

Offline noons

« Reply #438 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:13:41 »

Meh, I think at that point I would rather just use an HHKB (layout wise). Any idea on what the price will be?
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #439 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:15:24 »

Can't really comment on a product I haven't used, and nobody here has, yet :P

Also, for the price ($160USD), it's an amazing deal. Nice layout, too

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #440 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:18:08 »

Meh, I think at that point I would rather just use an HHKB (layout wise). Any idea on what the price will be?

$160-$170 i believe. i am a fan of 60% boards, so this is similar i guess..more close to a 60% rather an a (hideous imo) 75% layout.

Can't really comment on a product I haven't used, and nobody here has, yet :P

Also, for the price ($160USD), it's an amazing deal. Nice layout, too

if only i could change those two buttons to PGUP and PGDN...

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #441 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:20:15 »
Awesome layout.
Awesome price.
Awesome switch technology.
Awesome coloring / caps.
Meh, 45g.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #442 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:21:26 »

Meh, 45g.

My sentiments exactly. But still might pick one up.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #443 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:24:45 »

Meh, 45g.

i am assuming 55g is popular?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 17:37:18 »

Meh, 45g.

i am assuming 55g is popular?

I don't know that it's popular, but most people who like topre, usually stick with 55g once they try it.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #445 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 18:41:03 »
Holy crap....when did that new topre board come out?  Looks tasty.

I'm not a huge fan of the layout though.

Do you think it has a metal or plastic plate?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 18:43:42 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:01:44 »
might hold off then.. i don't know if i would even like topres to begin with

just an option considering the price.

hopefully will get to try a topre board out at the NYC meetup!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #447 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 22:08:49 »
Well, I couldn't stand the curiosity any longer. I just ordered a 55g TKL.  :confused:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #448 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 22:24:08 »
Well, I couldn't stand the curiosity any longer. I just ordered a 55g TKL.  :confused:

Good call, it's my favorite topre and I don't regret the purchase.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #449 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 22:50:25 »
Nice. Congrats on your 55g purchase, Macsmasher!