Author Topic: Best way to adjust tracking sensitivity?  (Read 7959 times)

Offline asfogh

Best way to adjust tracking sensitivity?
« on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 17:54:37 »
I use a Razer Abyssus or Salmosa (abyssus is new, not sure about it yet). They have onboard switches for DPI (450/1800/3500 or 800/1800). However, I only play Starcraft or Starcraft 2. 1800 is ridiculously too high, in fact even 800 is a bit too high for my preferred speed at 1900x1200 in Starcraft 2 -- I'm preferring somewhere behind the 450 and 800). However, I have read that if you adjust the mouse sensitivity in the windows control panel off the 6/11 notch, your mouse begins to behave erratically. What's the best way I can adjust the sensitivity of the cursor finer than the DPI choice, and is it better to choose 450 and go up, or 1800 and go down? Or, in the case of Starcraft 2, is it just have a default DPI and shrink the game resolution to match something more my speed

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 22:00:53 »
I apologize for this long, long post.

Something else is going on cause with your resolution 800 should be  slow and 1800 more normal but not enough. Did you turn off mouse acceleration maybe that is the problem. If that's not the case then you need to get used it.

DPI is a hardware based sensitivity. It's better to raise DPI and compensate by lowering sensitivity to avoid software or more precisely in-game sensitivity control. Calculation though crude is Old DPI*old sensitivity/New DPI. Though it depends on the game, some of the older games get negative acceleration from higher DPI.

Say you used 800 and 1 sensitivity and you bump up to 1800. 800*1/1800= 0.44444444444444444444444444444444.

Also you speak of cursor precision. Despite what some people will say. I've spent tons of hours researching DPI and from what I've gathered higher DPI is more precision. First to attain 1:1 movement in a higher resolution i.e. pixel precision to current higher resolution for desktop and or in-game.

Second of all if we do some math and convert an inch into MM we get 25.4 or 2.54cm. 25.4/800=0.03175mm, in other words at 800 DPI your mouse is reading with in this range. 0.03175mm is half of what 400 DPI is, being 0.0635mm. 25.4/1800=0.014111111111111111111111111111111mm, 25.4/3500=0.0072571428571428571428571428571429mm; with 5700 it's 25.4/5700=0.0044561403508771929824561403508772mm. You might be asking yourself what does this all mean. Aside from becoming faster both in pixel movement per inch and when that measurement is read. It's more accurate because it's reading at smaller and smaller intervals of millimeters.

A more simpler approach http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035470202&postcount=20 and http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034229686&postcount=39

Now your resolution is 1920x1200(I'm guessing you left out the 20). To have 1:1 movement i.e. DPI based on inch. You need 1920 on the X-axis and 1200 on the Y-axis.

I know some people will say it's an RTS precision doesn't matter just speed but remember you don't want to exert so much effort to move around that you suffer from fatigue. Plus if your good at noticing pixel skipping to achieve a speed of what high DPI will feel like, you usually set the in-game speed higher and end result is 450-800 is going to require pixel skipping. It doesn't matter whether you set windows to 6/11 it's going to reach the end somehow. So it'll do so by skipping or read all 1920x1200 in between 4-6 inches of movement, instead of the usual 1 inch with say a lower resolution and a mouse equating said resolution. Like for example 800x600 with an 800DPI mouse.

In other words would you rather have low DPI+higher sensitivity or high DPI+lower sensitivity. Lets say 400 and 2 vs 800 and 1, both feel exactly the same; the difference being is say you used 800x600 the 400 DPI you need to move 2 inches to complete 800 when set at say 1 while at 2 it reaches 800 but it does so by skipping.

Unfortunately both mice aren't all that suited for FPS gaming but for RTS I've read they alright quite popular with Asian gamers or those with smaller hands.

Sorry if I've gotten out of hand, I could probably go on and on and on with what I've read. I know I mostly speak out of an FPS gamer's perspective, but it doesn't hurt to translate some of the information to other games. I've done tons of research, just tons on DPI and mice. I know it's an RTS but still it doesn't hurt to know.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 23:20:28 »
my acceleration is off, as far as i know. i've turned off enhanced pointer precision and used accelfix.exe on XP. 800dpi with windows at 6/11 is a tiny bit too fast. I want something which will traverse my screen across at about 13.5cm

Is there a good third party program to adjust how windows interprets the dpi as specifically as you could set sensitivity in quake or cs?

The second link was informative... but the issue is that in an RTS game the cursor moves, rather than rotating a viewpoint. Things that seem choppy in FPS don't seem bothersome at all in an RTS. Unfortunately, SC1 is 640x480 and doesn't have it's own mouse settings, and SC2 does have its own mouse settings but they're really unreliable (1-100, several steps will do nothing, next step will adjust the X axis length by a couple CM). Trying to use the windows default drivers is not very useful, as the jumps between steps are way too huge when I'm looking to adjust stuff in the 10-20% ballpark.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 01:07:44 »
I only know that if you got the razer drivers installed than I can see that messing up your sensitivity. Razer drivers don't have an option to sorta switch them off like say logitech, where you can set the mouse to use OS as speed modifier. Most people set the memory of the mouse and uninstall the drivers.

I don't know what else to say I run 1024x76@85hz on a CRT and I use 1800 3G Deathadder and it's still too slow for me. I mean it's fast but I think it's mostly a factor of the mouse feet worn down and using a cloth pad. Though I guess it's also a factor of getting used to it.

If it's not the razer drivers then something is going on.

Since you mentioned Razer try and keep the polling rate at 500. It's more consistent some people have noticed inconsistent movements with 1000 hz since it's fluctuating between 600-900 and not consistent.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 10:49:27 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;183413
I only know that if you got the razer drivers installed than I can see that messing up your sensitivity. Razer drivers don't have an option to sorta switch them off like say logitech, where you can set the mouse to use OS as speed modifier. Most people set the memory of the mouse and uninstall the drivers.

I don't know what else to say I run 1024x76@85hz on a CRT and I use 1800 3G Deathadder and it's still too slow for me. I mean it's fast but I think it's mostly a factor of the mouse feet worn down and using a cloth pad. Though I guess it's also a factor of getting used to it.

If it's not the razer drivers then something is going on.

Since you mentioned Razer try and keep the polling rate at 500. It's more consistent some people have noticed inconsistent movements with 1000 hz since it's fluctuating between 600-900 and not consistent.

I don't have razer drivers installed, just the windows default.

All the FPS mouse guides talk about using windows default drivers for "1:1" (the 6/11 notch) and adjusting your sensitivity in the game. That's not really applicable for RTS games since I'm working with a pallete and cursor just like the desktop. I want to tinker my sensitivity, but I'm not sure the best way. Even if I use the windows drivers, there aren't nearly enough settings to slow it down (32:1, 16:1, 4:1, 2:1, 4:3) tp precisely how I'd like it. I'm looking for the best option to give me greater control over the sensitivity

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 14:20:12 »
If pointer options work then this should slow down the mouse. If not then SC2 is ignoring pointer option.

1. 0.03125
   2. 0.0625
   3. 0.25
   4. 0.5
   5. 0.75
   6. 1.
   7. 1.5
   8. 2.
   9. 2.5
  10. 3.
  11. 3.5

Those are the speed modifiers of the pointer option. 1800*0.25=450, 1800*0.5=900. 3500*0.25=875 etc.etc.

Not sure what else to say but something is going on. There is no way you can have a resolution like that and with such DPI say it's too fast, in fact if you stuck it out with a 400-800 DPI mouse you'd probably say it's too slow or maybe not TOO slow but not fitting the movements.

I really don't know what else to say. Have you tried one of the mice fixes; http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/. Try the builder can be built around the refresh rate of your monitor and whatnot.

What OS XP, Vista, 7. For XP I can see something going on, I've read the way XP handles the mouse is different than Vista/7. But it's quite strange what your experiencing, I've read quite a few post of people saying even 2000 DPI feels a bit slow for your resolution, yeah it's only 200DPI more but for them it doesn't feel right.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 16:37:10 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;183623
If pointer options work then this should slow down the mouse. If not then SC2 is ignoring pointer option.

1. 0.03125
   2. 0.0625
   3. 0.25
   4. 0.5
   5. 0.75
   6. 1.
   7. 1.5
   8. 2.
   9. 2.5
  10. 3.
  11. 3.5

Those are the speed modifiers of the pointer option. 1800*0.25=450, 1800*0.5=900. 3500*0.25=875 etc.etc.

Not sure what else to say but something is going on. There is no way you can have a resolution like that and with such DPI say it's too fast, in fact if you stuck it out with a 400-800 DPI mouse you'd probably say it's too slow or maybe not TOO slow but not fitting the movements.

I really don't know what else to say. Have you tried one of the mice fixes; http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/. Try the builder can be built around the refresh rate of your monitor and whatnot.

What OS XP, Vista, 7. For XP I can see something going on, I've read the way XP handles the mouse is different than Vista/7. But it's quite strange what your experiencing, I've read quite a few post of people saying even 2000 DPI feels a bit slow for your resolution, yeah it's only 200DPI more but for them it doesn't feel right.

That mouse fix seems interesting. I will try it.

I am on XP.

I do know the pointer options you posted. The problem I'm in is that I want to set something more specific -- for example, .65 rather than .75 or .5.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 18:36:04 »
1-11=the pointer setting; X.X = the multiplier.

1800*0.25(3rd step of pointer option) = 450 DPI. Those so by ignoring pixel movements. So you need to move further to reach the end of course, (although this was mostly done on the 3G engine to gain the max tracking for the DPI bug and to avoid negative acceleration for older or non-direct input games).

Many of the mice fixes were made for XP like cheese's mouse fix or the CPL mouse fix. The way XP handles mouse acceleration is it doesn't technically remove it all.

The hexadecimal settings for the chart that handles the registry of mouse fix. While it might say enhanced pointer: off. There is still some acceleration left based on the registry still modifying some of it. This is why a lot of gamers back in the early 2000's disliked XP because prior Windows had different method of handling mouse acceleration and I believe pointer option worked differently as well, if I'm not mistaken reading from a Win98 vs XP; archive a while back that I've read.

i.e. you can turn off mouse acceleration in XP but it's not completely gone unless you use a program to reg-edit.

If you use one of the Win XP mouse fixes to remove the acceleration. Then test out the higher DPI it should feel more controllable.

Even though I'm on Vista. When I turn on enhanced pointer position it makes the cursor feel like it's on ice and move at rapid paces.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 21:48:55 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;183816
1-11=the pointer setting; X.X = the multiplier.

I understand that

1800*0.25(3rd step of pointer option) = 450 DPI. Those so by ignoring pixel movements.

I realize this. My issue is, I want, say, 600 DPI. If my mouse does 1800dpi, then I need it to act on 1/3 movements. However, none of the multipliers available in windows driver does 3:1, they do 3:2, 2:1, or 4:1. Not 3:1.

i.e. you can turn off mouse acceleration in XP but it's not completely gone unless you use a program to reg-edit.

I realize this, I've read all the FPS guides. I used a registry fix a while ago. My issue isn't that I can control the mouse -- I can control it fine on several multipliers. However, just because I can control it doesn't mean the cursor is moving at exactly to my liking. That's my problem. I need something which will let me set the exact ratio of screen movement:mouse movement.

The program you pasted i THINK does it. But I don't quite understand how it works.

# The Control Panel, Mouse, pointer speed slider position that will be used.
# The pointer speed scaling (sensitivity) factor for that pointer speed setting.

What do I put for these options?

It gives me a registry file, which I'm guessing I merge into registry and then reboot computer. Does Enhanced Pointer Precision now need to be "ON" or "OFF". I thought off would be a no brainer, but he keeps mentioning turning it on in the troubleshooting

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 01:19:50 »
The fix can define a custom level if you want.

You basically set it to whatever level you want. It's just to avoid negative acceleration from setting windows pointer option too high on some games. You can make 1/11 = 6/11 i.e. 1:1 movement at 1/11.

Pointer sensitivity is just saying if you set it this way it'll be there. If you use 3/11 for example it'll say the driver will use 0.25 if you want you can change it to 1:1. It'll now move exactly at the DPI speed 1:1 but you can use a lower windows pointer option to avoid negative acceleration issues.

Enhanced Pointer option acts as an on/off switch. On = mouse fix active , using a custom level or 1:1 and eliminate all mouse acceleration with some older games they activate acceleration even if turned off in both windows and in-game. Off= means it's off but it's using the speed curve of the pointer option.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5928759_mouse-acceleration-fix-windows-xp.html

Not sure if the marc is worth it. You just want to remove all acceleration.

I think it's at the point where you need to just play at lesser DPI and set the sensitivity in-game.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 02:31:46 »
I'm not a real fan of mouse drivers but why don't you just install the Razer Driver for your Salmosa/Abyssus where you can adjust the sensitivity in 10% steps (maybe it's even 5% steps), that gives you much more options.

@Arc'xer

I agree on most you have written but "more CPI = more precise" isn't really true.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 12:31:56 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;183993
Enhanced Pointer option acts as an on/off switch. On = mouse fix active , using a custom level or 1:1 and eliminate all mouse acceleration with some older games they activate acceleration even if turned off in both windows and in-game. Off= means it's off but it's using the speed curve of the pointer option.

Ah cool, I will try this and see if I can get it to work. If so, that's awesome, being able to define the multiplier of each switch and have an on/off button.

I think it's at the point where you need to just play at lesser DPI and set the sensitivity in-game.

Starcraft 1 has no in game sensitivity. It bases it off whatever your desktop is -- it's even rougher, because its a 640x480 game so you need it ungodly slow in your desktop for it to be reasonable in Starcraft.

Starcraft 2 ignores all desktop options and does have its own sensitivity which is cool but not really applicable to this post (other than i need to be specific in the desktop so i can match the speeds between desktop and game). It has 1-100 notches, which is sweet, but it's not linear at all as some notches are imperceptable or nothing and others jump my distance to traverse the y axis by as much as a cm. Actually, now that I think about it, since they ignore desktop settings I wonder if perhaps it shuts off mouse acceleration by itself, can't know since I always have it off >_<

edit: boy it would be awesome if this little DPI switch on the bottom of the mouse, instead of doing 800 or 1800 could do like, a bunch of different ones.

Bullveyr: I kinda considered that a last resort. I hate, hate, hate, mouse drivers (at least everyone Ive ever used). And the razer ones are ugly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2010, 12:42:20 by asfogh »

Offline aerial

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 13:15:54 »
In rts games, most people prefere very high sensitivity, for full hd resolution 1800 dpi should be perfectly fine. I would suggest to use higher sens and give it some time, there is really no point in using low sens for rts games (it is all about quick movement, pixel precision is not needed).

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 13:32:39 »
There is nothing wrong in installing the mouse drivers. Even temporary many who have the deathadder will install the drivers, apply memory changes, and then uninstall. But because the Salmosa/Abyssus have the buttons it's not necessary.

Not all mouse drivers are bad depends on which company. People dislike Razer like I said because driver just adds an additional layer of extra modifier of speed, unlike say logitech which allows the OS to take over pointer option speed.

I guess in the end your SoL; no offense. With SC2 seems like blizzard doesn't comprehend mouse control, could be a beta thing but I doubt it. I know with SC1 you can use chaoslauncher and at least compensate the mouse speed a bit but seems like SC2 is in another negative of it's own, which is kinda disappointing because your wasting a mouse.

If desktop wise and other game-wise your fine with higher DPI then that's good, despite the XP acceleration. But if it's JUST SC1/2 then can't help you there.

Quote from: aerial;184241
In rts games, most people prefere very high sensitivity, for full hd resolution 1800 dpi should be perfectly fine. I would suggest to use higher sens and give it some time, there is really no point in using low sens for rts games (it is all about quick movement, pixel precision is not needed).

I never said anything about low sensitivity. All I said is lower sensitivity while maintaining a high speed through the mouse hardware rather than through the game. But seems like that's not possible if the game is coded that way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2010, 13:36:17 by Arc'xer »

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 02:35:42 »
Quote from: asfogh;184215

edit: boy it would be awesome if this little DPI switch on the bottom of the mouse, instead of doing 800 or 1800 could do like, a bunch of different ones.

Yea but that would increase costs and most settings would be interpolated (just as the driver sensitivity).
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.