Author Topic: Hello from Sweden!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline SteveLTN

Hello from Sweden!
« on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:45:07 »
Hi, I'm Steve and I live in Sweden.

I bought my first mechanical keyboard in 2009, tried a few ones and stuck with a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Brown switches. I used that one for 10 years. Although the legends are worn off, I was happy about the board. Recently I thought, well, it might be a time to upgrade to a bluetooth one so I started researching what keyboards are there again.

WOW the KB world really changed a lot! Custom keyboard has really become a thing now. All stuff such as lubing, foaming, etc. Just amazing. And Cherry MX is not the cool kid any more.

I actually bought a Keychron and am genuinely disappointed about the switch quality. A lot of spring noise. So much worse than my old Cherry Brown. Heard modern Cherry Switches are even worse. So I started doing my own lubing etc. Here goes the rabbit hole.

Anyway, feeling excited to dive back in and get a few new keyboards!

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:50:35 by SteveLTN »

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from Sweden!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 12:05:15 »
Hi, I'm Steve and I live in Sweden.

I bought my first mechanical keyboard in 2009, tried a few ones and stuck with a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Brown switches. I used that one for 10 years. Although the legends are worn off, I was happy about the board. Recently I thought, well, it might be a time to upgrade to a bluetooth one so I started researching what keyboards are there again.

WOW the KB world really changed a lot! Custom keyboard has really become a thing now. All stuff such as lubing, foaming, etc. Just amazing. And Cherry MX is not the cool kid any more.

I actually bought a Keychron and am genuinely disappointed about the switch quality. A lot of spring noise. So much worse than my old Cherry Brown. Heard modern Cherry Switches are even worse. So I started doing my own lubing etc. Here goes the rabbit hole.

Anyway, feeling excited to dive back in and get a few new keyboards!

Hi StevenLTN. Welcome to Geekhack.

I'm a little late. I don't know if I'll be able to catch up on all of these or not to begin with. Sorry about that.

Filco seems to have a lot of fans even now.

I was sort of similar. I used MX red and MX blue switches in some Corsairs for years and years and was perfectly happy with them until I tried some of the better vintage clickies. Odd that that's also what made me aware of some of the more modern stuff like box jades.

You had what in the Keycron? Gaterons? I guess I'm not one to notice things like spring ping unless I really put some effort into it. I do think that Gaterons feel great in all regards vs MX.

Good luck on your journey. Plenty of boutique tactiles out there for you to try now.

Offline Lucy Lumi

• Formerly 'Happy Forge'
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 01:55:27 »
Hallo Steve!
Hehe nice story :)
What keychron do you have? I'm pretty sure it's a 'hotswap' board (you can take the gateron browns out and replace with other switches.. this in itself is a hole rabbit hole :O lol. )
Browns are a tactile switch so if you search tactile switch review in Youtube, you'll find a lot of switches you can have a listen to :) There's several vendors and should be one in Europe you could get some tactiles from to try out :)
All the best!

Lucy/ Happy Forge

Offline larryjchurch

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 03:43:26 »
And Cherry MX is not the cool kid any more. I actually bought a Keychron and am genuinely disappointed about the switch quality. A lot of spring noise.

Open up switch and lubing ends of spring or squeeze them. OFTEN simply rotating the spring fixes the issue!