Author Topic: [GB] Handcrafted "Sunken" Honduran Mahogany Wristrests (COMPLETED)  (Read 29971 times)

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
<Introduction>

Posting this on behalf of my friend: https://www.reddit.com/user/MDDDIY or Trayke here at GH. Some of you may be familiar with his work as a wristrest maker, but for those who aren't, Trayke specializes in crafting custom, exotic wood wristrests. He's helped numerous users put the finishing touch on their battlestations, with the benefit of adding a bit of ergonomic comfort as well. For those of us who eye-twitch when there is overhang or undercut on the rest, this buy will allow fully custom sizing to fit your exact needs. Six standard sizes will be offered modeled after common form factors:

60%: Pok3r - 11.5"
75%: Octagon V2 - 12 7/16"
TKL: LZ-SE - 14”
96-Key: Lightsaver V2 - 14 5/8”
HHKB: 11.5"
Fullsize: 17 1/4"

Other sizes or boards: Custom sizing will be accepted via an entry in the form

<The Wood>

To keep this buy unique and interesting, the wood utilized will not be available outside of this buy. We discussed ideas on various woods to use, and finalized the selection when Trayke found a source on a species called sunken "Honduran Mahogany" (aka "Genuine Mahogany"). This wood has a unique history, and comes from an odd place: the bottom of a river. These pieces were harvested from virgin, old-growth forests over 100 years ago when Belize was a British colony. To transport the logs back to Britain, loggers floated them down jungle rivers to Caribbean ports, destined for the long Atlantic crossing. However, not all logs reached their destination, some were so old, and thus dense, that they actually sank before even reaching the Caribbean.

Now, over a hundred years later, they’re seeing the light of day again as companies seek to float these old logs back to the surface. These old-growth Mahogany logs are quite rare; it is no exaggeration to say the total age from seedling to wristrest is no less than 300 years. Even commercially farmed mahogany needs 100-150 years just to reach minimum harvestable thickness. These sunken mahogany logs are even older as they managed to sink during transport. Present overlogging has pressured most commercial stocks of Honduran Mahogany to be cut prior to optimal graining; early cutting means the wood does not get a chance to gain some of the characteristics that make Honduran Mahogany so desirable. 

Not so with this sunken lumber. The tight figured graining gives off a "chatoyancy effect", appearing 3D and changing color depending on viewing color. The colors of this unique lumber range from pale pinkish brown to darker reddish brown. Visually the wood is stunning, examples below are some raw pieces, the texture and grain density will be more apparent post-finishing:

<Specifications>

Each wristrest is handmade with care in Tennessee, USA. The rest will be milled and cut to the length you specify in the order form. The width and thickness will be 3 ½” x ⅝”.  A small full-thickness palm rest area tapers following an 8 degree bevel down to ¼” as seen in this example photo.

After each rest is milled, the edges are hand planed and then given a ¼” round over. Following, the piece is sanded with 220 grit sandpaper before going through a finishing process to protect each piece from hand oils.  Each rest comes with 4 small rubber bumpons bringing the rest to its full height of ¾”. A high-gloss finish is applied to allow the full character of the wood to express itself. The end result is sleek, yet durable against invasive hand oils. See below pics for an example of the finish:

(Wood is Cocobolo)

(Bumper feet are placed into indents to prevent slipping)

<Order Notes>

This GB will run with a MOQ of 15 rests, and a maximum of 30 rests. Orders past 30 will be put on a waiting list, and will be fulfilled depending on the length of wood left over. Fulfillment will be FIFO.

The group buy will close two weeks after MOQ is met, or once 30 units are reached. The cost for each rest is $60 + PP fees + shipping.

Invoicing will start once MOQ is hit. Shipping will begin approximately 2-weeks after the buy closes, and should conclude a month later. Estimated shipping rates are listed below:

Domestic CONUS - $7
Canada: ~$17.50
International: ~22.50 (contact for quote)

Any extras will be sold at a markup from GB price.

>>>>>>ORDER FORM<<<<<<

42/42

Lumber has been counted. Total is enough for 42 rests.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2016, 23:23:29 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline limitz

Re: [Group Buy] Handcrafted "Sunken" Honduran Mahogany Wristrests
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 22:39:58 »
All wood has been used up. There are no extras.

Shipping is underway.

Thanks all for your support, I'm as excited as you are to see the end product.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:46:36 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:06:46 »
Can we get some embedded photos?
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline limitz

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 01:32:09 »
Can we get some embedded photos?

Oops, fixed.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 01:44:11 »
Hi limitz. what is the shipping cost to Indonesia? Can it be made in fullsize?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline limitz

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:06:58 »

It can be made in fullsize, I've updated the thread and added that as a standard size, will get a dimension for it tomorrow.

Will get back to you on the shipping cost.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:09:53 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline trayke

• Woodworking meets technology. Finally.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 05:32:01 »

I sent you a Private Message to get your address for a shipping quote.

The rest can be made any size you'd like. For Full Size in the past I've used 17 1/4" (438mm).

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:20:01 »
Man those are nice, Too bad i just cant quite afford it atm.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 11:42:28 »
You mention "a high gloss finish is applied". Is this a polyurethane finish, or oil and wax, or...?

Offline trayke

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:04:31 »
You mention "a high gloss finish is applied". Is this a polyurethane finish, or oil and wax, or...?

The finish I use depends entirely on the species of wood.  In this case, it's probably going to be a combination of finishes.  I say probably because until I actually get the lumber milled/sanded and start testing different methods, I won't know which will bring out the grain.  Here's how I'm expecting it to go...

1) Boiled Linseed Oil or Dewaxed Shellac.  Whichever makes the grain and chatoyancy stand out more.
2) Semi-Gloss Poly.  Depending on whether I go with Shellac or BLO it may be oil based urethane or waterborne acrylic.
3) Turtle Wax automotive rubbing compound buffed out to a mid-to-high gloss shine.  I do this because high gloss is too glossy and semi isn't glossy enough so I compromise.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:11:59 by trayke »

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:15:27 »

The finish I use depends entirely on the species of wood.  In this case, it's probably going to be a combination of finishes.  I say probably because until I actually get the lumber and start testing different methods, I won't know which will bring out the grain.  Here's how I'm expecting it to go...

1) Boiled Linseed Oil or Dewaxed Shellac.  Whichever makes the grain and chatoyancy stand out more.
2) Semi-Gloss Poly.  Depending on whether I go with Shellac or BLO it may be oil based urethane or waterborne acrylic.
3) Turtle Wax automotive rubbing compound buffed out to a mid-to-high gloss shine.  I do this because high gloss is too glossy and semi isn't glossy enough so I compromise.

Cool, thanks for responding. I sometimes worry about poly finishes on really nice wood because I like the *idea* of repair and restoration without having to sand off the entire finish, but I also recognize there's real longevity concerns with something that will be handled to such and extent. 

Offline trayke

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:19:52 »

The finish I use depends entirely on the species of wood.  In this case, it's probably going to be a combination of finishes.  I say probably because until I actually get the lumber and start testing different methods, I won't know which will bring out the grain.  Here's how I'm expecting it to go...

Cool, thanks for responding. I sometimes worry about poly finishes on really nice wood because I like the *idea* of repair and restoration without having to sand off the entire finish, but I also recognize there's real longevity concerns with something that will be handled to such and extent.

It's all a balancing act. For instance, I wouldn't use just shellac because I know how often I've spilled beer near my keyboard and alcohol will dissolve a shellac finish easily.  Where as wax is good, but doesn't offer a lot of physical protection. I find that something to really accentuate the look is important, but so is protection so you don't have to worry about accidentally damaging it.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 14:59:39 »
Honduran Mahogany is the holy grail of tone woods for vintage Les Paul. Can't believe there's a chance I could feel the unique texture while typing.

Definitely I'm in! :-*
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline trayke

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:52:11 »
Honduran Mahogany is the holy grail of tone woods for vintage Les Paul. Can't believe there's a chance I could feel the unique texture while typing.

Definitely I'm in! :-*

The person I'm buying the wood from does quite a bit of business in tonal woods. He wouldn't tell me whether Les Paul was a customer or not, but I got the feeling the feeling some big names were buying it.

Offline breitling

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:23:36 »
that wood looks incredible..

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 05:22:34 »
These look really nice.  I would jump on one but unfortunately my next board needs something a little more...custom.

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline trayke

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 07:46:09 »
These look really nice.  I would jump on one but unfortunately my next board needs something a little more...custom.

I can do custom...within reason ;)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 11:40:39 »
I love the live-edge, the grain, and the color; these are really very beautiful.  These should be in Sharper Image.

Offline trayke

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 12:57:13 »
I love the live-edge, the grain, and the color; these are really very beautiful.  These should be in Sharper Image.

I'm going to tell my wife you said that something I am involved with should be in sharper image.  She's going to laugh!

(And laugh, and laugh, and laugh...)

Offline trayke

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:48:31 »

I went through PM to get your specific address, but wanted to let anyone that was interested know the shipping was still $22.50.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 03:52:51 »
I'm in. Also, there are some great blog posts and stuff about the origins about these logs. Good reading!

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 15:08:20 »
this wood has some crazy backstory, if anyone else wants to find out more you actually have to search for "honduran mahogany sinker logs"

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:30:23 »
Side question: I've been gluing RE magnets (http://www.dx.com/p/5-1-5mm-cylindrical-ndfeb-magnet-silver-80pcs-426248) to both keyboards and my one 60% wrist rest so they don't keep sliding away from each other.
Would it be possible to make small holes in the wood to hide them? 2x1.5mm thick, so 3mm deep and 5mm diameter I suppose.

Would that be hard, or is that something I can do to my existing wrist rest as well?

Offline trayke

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:04:31 »
This is an interesting idea.  I could put the holes in the side of the rest, but it would take some coordination with you to make sure everything lines up.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:46:41 »
Oh, I would just use the placement of those holes as the template for the placement of all the magnets in the future :)

But they would have to be where the 60% keyboard would be, so something like 5 and 25cm from the left edge of the rest - so I can use them for all keyboard sizes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:49:25 by tofgerl »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:56:49 »
If you can do it, just add a fee to my paypal invoice :) I think I put my GH username on the order.

Offline Luneth

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:44:41 »
I'm in. Excited to see how these turn out!
 Are you actively invoicing as you receive orders now that MOQ is hit?

Offline limitz

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 23:33:34 »
Answered in the 2nd post. Invoicing will start next week.

EDIT: All 22 existing orders have been invoiced. New orders will be invoiced as they come in.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 09:44:11 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 08:48:56 »
Thanks for using BCC in the email.
Those who know will nod. Those who don't should look it up ;)

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:52:27 »
paid! are you shipping them as you finish them?

Offline airs

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:30:09 »
Paid!
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline trayke

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:18:55 »
I actively started working on the rests last night. The wood is quite beautiful. I can't wait to see it with some finish on it.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:25:15 »
I had this lovely daydream yesterday about having a desk plate made of this material. Then I remembered I'm in Europe, and the shipping alone would probably bankrupt a small bank.

Offline wodan

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:48:49 »
I think you have the wong idea of shipping costs. I once got a Weber Summit S-670 shipped from the US BY PLANE for 450US$. Sea freight would have been around 200US$. If you really want it, go get it.

Offline trayke

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 11:41:04 »
I had this lovely daydream yesterday about having a desk plate made of this material. Then I remembered I'm in Europe, and the shipping alone would probably bankrupt a small bank.

I'll admit, I'm not sure what a Desk Plate is.

That being said, I am actively connected to the woodworking community with some international connections.  I can reach out if you're truly interested.

Offline trayke

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 11:41:51 »
I think you have the wong idea of shipping costs. I once got a Weber Summit S-670 shipped from the US BY PLANE for 450US$. Sea freight would have been around 200US$. If you really want it, go get it.

I like your attitude!
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:43:15 by trayke »

Offline frostylove

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:51:45 »
order#6 is paid
:llama:
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:16:47 »

I'll admit, I'm not sure what a Desk Plate is.

That being said, I am actively connected to the woodworking community with some international connections.  I can reach out if you're truly interested.

Desktop, I guess. English is not my first language. We call it a desk plate in norwegian. A desk consists of a plate and legs. :)

But no, I can't afford it right now anyway.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:30:34 »
Hey Trayke, taking any more orders?
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline trayke

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:43:50 »
Hey Trayke, taking any more orders?

I am. We're currently at 23 orders. 7 more to go.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:55:05 »
I am. We're currently at 23 orders. 7 more to go.

Cool, submitted one.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:38:53 »
Mmm that's some good wood.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline HungryPillow

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:58:28 »
Submitted and paid... can't wait!
Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Filco Majestouch MX Blues | Corsair K70 RGB MX Browns | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clears / Browns | WhiteFox Aria MX Browns

Offline spanyam

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 21:24:18 »
Paid.

Offline trayke

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 07:06:51 »
Thanks, everyone!  I think at this point almost everyone has paid up. I spent most of the night in the shop last night and made considerable progress on the first batch of rests. 

I took a test piece through the entire sanding process to test out the finish and this wood looks absolutely gorgeous .  Once I'm comfortable I may post a picture.

There are still 5 more slots in the group buy and I may have enough wood for some extras if anyone is still considering it.  And if you're holding off to see what they'll look like, well, shoot me a PM!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 07:41:48 »
I am considering adding a 60% actually... With the modification we talked about :)
Just send me a new invoice for the difference, and I'll stop considering it ;)

Offline trayke

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:38:47 »
The first 10 rests have been been completed and begun the finishing process (the long part).  ETA for first batch to ship is end of next week.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 19:19:11 »
The first 10 rests have been been completed and begun the finishing process (the long part).  ETA for first batch to ship is end of next week.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Can't wait to see it!
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline trayke

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 06:20:53 »
#30 has been hit!  Any further orders will be put on a waiting list and fulfilled depending on lumber stock

Offline trayke

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:56:07 »
FYI, I have completed rough milling for all available orders.  I have some stock left if anyone is interested above and beyond the 30.