Author Topic: This is a "dumb" terminal?  (Read 5974 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
This is a "dumb" terminal?
« on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 02:14:34 »
Will you look at the number of chips in this so-called "dumb" terminal?:

Early 1980's Lear Siegler ADM-5 "Dumb Terminal"

Of course they couldn't squeeze quite as many components onto an IC in those days... But still, LOL.

And don't you just love that retro-sci-fi enclosure? It makes me want to replicate a bunch of these, put them on white desks with consoles full of winky lights, and hire a bunch of models to wear jumpsuits bearing the insignia of a top-secret government organization with laboratories miles under the Nevada desert. Maybe you had a similar idea.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: This is a "dumb" terminal?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 05:37:41 »
I'm looking for an enclosure like that for one of my projects.

These days you'd probably use a PIC of some sort, of a FPGA.  Back then you had to have dozens of TTL chips to achieve the same end.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 16:38:21 »
Very nice: its futurist look from the seventies is kinda similar to the very old arcade machine "computer space" from 1971.

Speaking of which... Here's a pic I just took of the oldest arcade game PCB I've got: it's "Moon patrol" from 1982 (my arcade machine is from around 1986 and Moon Patrol has a converter that converts the inputs / outputs to the JAMMA wiring of my cab).

Enjoy the four PCBs stacked one on top of another (well, ok, more like three and a half but still) :

141642-0

I've got PCBs from 1982, 1987, 1989 and 1993 : you can see the technological progress by just looking at the PCBs. Everything keeps getting smaller and smaller (besides the Zilog Z80 CPUs)  :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 23:13:16 »
Very nice: its futurist look from the seventies is kinda similar to the very old arcade machine "computer space" from 1971.

Speaking of which... Here's a pic I just took of the oldest arcade game PCB I've got: it's "Moon patrol" from 1982 (my arcade machine is from around 1986 and Moon Patrol has a converter that converts the inputs / outputs to the JAMMA wiring of my cab).

Enjoy the four PCBs stacked one on top of another (well, ok, more like three and a half but still) :

(Attachment Link)

I've got PCBs from 1982, 1987, 1989 and 1993 : you can see the technological progress by just looking at the PCBs. Everything keeps getting smaller and smaller (besides the Zilog Z80 CPUs)  :)

Z80 has come a long way from powering our terminals, then our computers, and now is an add-on for a computer game.

https://github.com/steventroughtonsmith/Z80
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 00:13:20 »

(Attachment Link)

Z80 has come a long way from powering our terminals, then our computers, and now is an add-on for a computer game.

https://github.com/steventroughtonsmith/Z80
Hah that's awesome.

Dumb terminals are a guilty pleasure of mine.
We have a couple at work that I'm not allowed to take because our boss is big into nostalgia too (damn him!) - one day, they will be mine!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:18:10 »
Very nice: its futurist look from the seventies is kinda similar to the very old arcade machine "computer space" from 1971...

That's it!! I knew it looked familiar.

Computer Space—what a phenomenon. Considering the state of technology when it was created, it's astounding someone could've done anything that sophisticated.

Speaking of which... Here's a pic I just took of the oldest arcade game PCB I've got: it's "Moon patrol" from 1982... Enjoy the four PCBs stacked one on top of another (well, ok, more like three and a half but still)...

Many peeps don't realize it, but games often represented the cutting edge of computer technology. Game companies were always looking for ways to get machines to do more, to create more interesting and exciting graphics and interactive capabilities. When that wasn't possible, they developed tricks of optics and psychology to make their games seem like they did more. It's a fascinating part of IT history.

Isn't that great? That's an unusual number of arcade boards, too. Are you involved in arcade emulation? Technically, to have the right to dump—that is, back up [wink, nudge]—a game's code from ROM, you must own the PCB it was distributed on. So my understanding is, each major emulation project (e.g. MAME) needs someone to be associated with it who owns PCBs of the games they try to emulate. Just wondering...

Dumb terminals are a guilty pleasure of mine... We have a couple at work that I'm not allowed to take because our boss is big into nostalgia too (damn him!) - one day, they will be mine!

I believe the proper conclusion for a statement like that is Buh ha ha ha!!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:39:17 »
That is pretty damn awesome, I would love to have one of those completely disassembled lying in pieces on my floor for me to trip over every night.
S60x w/ Mod-Ms, Ducky Blanks | xd60 | kbp v60 mini
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 02:48:53 »
Dumb terminals are a guilty pleasure of mine... We have a couple at work that I'm not allowed to take because our boss is big into nostalgia too (damn him!) - one day, they will be mine!

I believe the proper conclusion for a statement like that is Buh ha ha ha!!
Haha, meanie.
In all seriousness though, I will have it. He better not take it with him when he leaves.