Author Topic: Thanks GeekHack  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Ardvan

• Keep it simple, stupid
Thanks GeekHack
« on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 05:40:19 »
Hi

After lurking for two weeks I finally registered. I found my love for tinkering with hardware again. :)

I still can't typ 100% blind, because I work with Windows at the office and most of the time PuTTY with UNIX/tmux/vi, have a Mac at home and play games on a PC. I have to rotate between ASCII and German-Layouts for Mac and/or PC and it's driving me crazy.

For quite some time I had to work with those cheap light Logitec keythingys because I didn't want to transport a heavy keyboard with me. Additionally I have installed all those software tools that allow you to change key maps and settings and stuff on a Mac and Window, but they often do not do what I wanted and it is not consistent over different operating systems.

All those years I dreamt of keyboards (or modify my HHKs) that just do what I think they should do and can't be controlled by silly computers
Why are todays keyboards still so 1920s? I mean it's a device many people need to interact with computers daily, for hours.

Now I found your awesome forum. You people have basically already done all the stuff years ago, I still thought didn't exist.

So what did I do the last two weeks?

I cleaned my HHK's after 10 years for the first time. They are now clean and shiny again, have o-rings in them to damped the release sound. And I bought blind keycaps to force me to typ without cheating.

But most importantly I am adding now a new controller. :D

So I have to go back drilling holes into my HHK's.
No worries! I love my HHKs  and will keep them until I die, so no need to do reversible mods.

HHK HHK

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Thanks GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 08:24:09 »
Nice board! Good luck with your controller mod.

Offline Ardvan

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 01:34:19 »
Thanks!
In fact, I am writing this here the first time with my modified HHK with a teensy++ inside and the tmk_keyboard software. :)
HHK HHK

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 01:36:36 »
10 year HHBK? :o Nice, also I hope that more than one thing from the 1920's come back  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 05:05:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

German layout is QWERTZ, isn't it?  That would be awkward switching back and forth :eek:

If you have been using an HHKB for a while, at least you would be used to the arrow keys and function keys, so otaku keycaps will just help you to touch type better :)

There is also talk of an aluminium case for the HHKB.  Coincidentally two groups seem to be planning one at the same time.  Something else to enhance your oneness with cup rubber :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ardvan

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 10:49:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

German layout is QWERTZ, isn't it?  That would be awkward switching back and forth :eek:

If you have been using an HHKB for a while, at least you would be used to the arrow keys and function keys, so otaku keycaps will just help you to touch type better :)

There is also talk of an aluminium case for the HHKB.  Coincidentally two groups seem to be planning one at the same time.  Something else to enhance your oneness with cup rubber :D

Yes, I got used to the arrow keys and volume up/down and power switch for the mac.

Here we have Swiss-German keyboards. They are nice if you want to write German, French and Italian at the same time, but not efficient for coding. But I need all the /, |, \ and brackets {},[],() as well the @ and ~ and backtick `. And they are not on the same places between Mac and PC. The Y and Z swap isn't so much of a problem.

Well I need now a few weeks to tune the tmk-software until it feels right.

Aluminium Case for sure is nice (preferably with deep blue or violett eloxation) but at the moment I don't think I want to redo this ;D

HHK HHK

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:57:12 »
Whoa!  That looks very neatly done!

Three USB port hub?  Nice :)  I haven't found anything that works in the standard USB ports on my HHKB, not even a USB memory stick.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 18:58:02 »
Cool board! I've never typed on a HHKB but I can definitely see the appeal  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Ardvan

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 06:57:16 »
Thanks for your kind words!

I did that USB-hub only once. It was a real pain to do.
And the cable soldering to the LED bar could be better. But hey it works!

Here the first power up with the blinky software :D

And from behind.
HHK HHK

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:36:26 »
Very slick board. :cool: