Author Topic: [Personal Preference] gold keyboard with grey or black keycaps?  (Read 4534 times)

Offline tbc

[Personal Preference] gold keyboard with grey or black keycaps?
« on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 01:48:30 »
This is just personal preference question, not any sort of trollbait or anything bad.  I just know people here are really into nice looking designs.

What do people like?  grey keycaps or black keycaps on a gold top-plate board.  pictures to prove your point would be awesome :D

yes, this question is inspired by jyu's GON and ivan's mentioned black thick pbt groupbuy.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [Personal Preference] gold keyboard with grey or black keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:09:03 »
I would not get a gold plate.

Therefore mu.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:22:38 »
Gold plates, best plates.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:27:58 »
But if I had a yellow plate - then either yellow or black keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:46:07 »
This is just personal preference question, not any sort of trollbait or anything bad.  I just know people here are really into nice looking designs.

What do people like?  grey keycaps or black keycaps on a gold top-plate board.  pictures to prove your point would be awesome :D

yes, this question is inspired by jyu's GON and ivan's mentioned black thick pbt groupbuy.

I would go with grey keycaps

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 22:07:15 »
but..but everybody loves gold :D

i remember the iphone gold rush stories lol.

I was really into the gold vaio z2, but that thing was hella expensive.  I think a gold GON would be a way cheaper way to get the gold fix :D.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline olivier.nyc

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:58:57 »
maybe some solid gold keys then.... or gold colored zinc maybe more affordable...  :'(

Simplicity is a great virtue but requires hard work to achieve and education to appreciate.
And to make matters worse: complexity sells better. (EWD896)

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 07:10:47 »
gold plate, then gold legends :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:40:15 »
Black keys with gold legends. Similar to the kind that come on the Leopold FC660C in topre (not sure if they come on the MX version).
Rick Owens and Happy Hackers