Author Topic: A quick look on my first mech, a Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid.  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Boundl3ss

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/YdvHt
amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B007VDKLLM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
So, for my first mechanical Keyboard I decided to purchase a Cooler Master Storm due to many recommendations from many people. I decided to go with MX browns due to them being my favorite switch that I tried out in store. Upgrading from a membrane this feels amazing(As I am currently typing on it). The build quality is solid, the keyboard looks nice, and it feels soo good. The included key caps are a nice touch also. After only owning it for a very short period of time, I have done two things: added O-rings and flipped the spacebar. I recommend others to try both of these  things out because in my opinion it improves the experience. I may not have any other mechs to compare this to, but it feels damn good. I would definitely recommend this keyboard to others, and I probably will be modding it in the future.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: A quick look on my first mech, a Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 22:34:23 »
Moved this to the Reviews sub-forum.

== == == == ==

Congrats on your first mech! :thumb:

Depending on your usage, give the browns some time and it will feel smoother as the stems wear.  What other mods do you have planned?  Lubing the switches perhaps?

Offline Boundl3ss

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 22:37:55 »

== == == == ==

Depending on your usage, give the browns some time and it will feel smoother as the stems wear.  What other mods do you have planned?  Lubing the switches perhaps?
Sorry! didn't even see reviews as a sub-forum.
I am planning to paint the casing/plasti dip it and also get a custom set of keycaps.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 04:01:36 »

== == == == ==

Sorry! didn't even see reviews as a sub-forum.
I am planning to paint the casing/plasti dip it and also get a custom set of keycaps.

No worries.

Ah plastidip. :thumb: I tried that on my previous Shine II.  It didn't hold up too well in the corners from coming in contact with the plastic keyboard roof.  However, I may not have allowed proper curing time between layers.

Anyway, here's a tip, if you have plastidip stuck in the nooks and crannies, WD-40 will dissolves it so you can brush or wash it off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:27:36 »
What happened to the space bar?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Boundl3ss

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:50:26 »
What happened to the space bar?
Reversed it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline loomin

• I don't know much
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 00:25:31 »
Why do people reverse their space bars? I've tried it before and it felt very awkward to use.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 00:30:41 »
Why do people reverse their space bars? I've tried it before and it felt very awkward to use.

There is a recent discussion upon that very subject.