Author Topic: [IC] Albacore macropad | 7-key, hotswap, blocker LED, per-key RGB  (Read 7367 times)

Offline pepperoni

IC form

Introduction
Hello! I would like to introduce you the Albacore macropad. It features per-key RGB, hotswap sockets and quite minimalistic design that should fit any setup nicely. There's already a working prototype: several units were made during a private GB. Please fill the IC form even if you're not interested, it helps a lot.

The design
The design is inspired by the QWER\ASDF keys, so that it feels somewhat familiar to your hands. It has proven to be comfortable for both left and right hand use.

Layout

Prototype photos

PCB

IC feedback: updated design (renders)
The feet should cover the screws now.
274559-0274561-1

Specs
  • Aluminum case
  • Dimensions (with no feet and keycaps): 91x54x21 mm
  • Top mounted design
  • USB-C port (no usb-c to usb-c yet)
  • Carbon fiber plate
  • Hotswap sockets
  • Per-key RGB with one additional LED in the blocker
  • No angle
  • QMK online configurator and VIA are supported[/b]

Planned GB details
  • Occurs when there's a host (please dm me if you can host this group buy)
  • About 200 units total
  • 4 colours
  • Target price: $75

Disclaimer
The prototype and design pictures do not represent a final state of the product, there might be minor or (less likely) major changes, which may arise as a result of either IC feedback or manufacturing pecularities.

The X-mark in the blocker is to be refered as the treasure sign, it has nothing to do with rama works.

UPDATE 08/15/2021
Planned gb date info, target price revealed.

UPDATE 12/28/2021
QMK online configurator and VIA support added.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 December 2021, 23:13:21 by pepperoni »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: [IC] Albacore macropad | 7-key, hotswap, blocker LED, per-key RGB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 18:10:09 »
In for at least one of these, and possible more depending on price. Love the simplicity and elegance of the design

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 23:13:20 »
In for at least one of these, and possible more depending on price. Love the simplicity and elegance of the design

Thanks for your feedback!
Hopefully, the target price will be posted soon, but I am still working on that. It took more time to work it through than I had expected.

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 04:18:47 »
Hey!
I am really loving your project! I have a small thought nonetheless: Can you recess the USB-C port? It really bothers me. Like either, you move the port itself on the PCB backwards or make a better case cutout, but the non-recessed USB port really is a dealbreaker for me for such a cool macropad.
Have a great week(end)!

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 05:49:09 »
Hey!
I am really loving your project! I have a small thought nonetheless: Can you recess the USB-C port? It really bothers me. Like either, you move the port itself on the PCB backwards or make a better case cutout, but the non-recessed USB port really is a dealbreaker for me for such a cool macropad.
Have a great week(end)!

Hi and thanks for taking your time to check this out.
The pcb is pretty dense in this area already. Moving a port inside would only be possible for like ~1.5 mm, this won't make big difference. However, it is possible to make the case 1-2 mm thicker.

I will prepare some renders this weekend and let the viewers decide.

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 01:27:03 »
UPDATE
Target price is $75 for one unit.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 07:53:12 »
UPDATE
Target price is $75 for one unit.
:eek: Oh damn, thats a great price. Definitely in for more than one!

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 21:25:18 »
I like the design and the price confirms it

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 11:22:07 »
Hey!
Have a great week(end)!

I have updated pcb and case designes, fixed couple visual issues and made alternative usb port cutout. However, the upper border of the case looks too thick to me now.
274435-0274437-1

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 11:48:03 »

I have updated pcb and case designes, fixed couple visual issues and made alternative usb port cutout. However, the upper border of the case looks too thick to me now.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I appreciate your effort, and thank you for it. In the end it is your project, and you have to be happy with it :D
I probably will join either way, I think. I love it very much!

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 12:07:22 »
Small update:

I have changed the design of the bottom plate in order to make rubber feet fully cover the screw holes (according to the IC feedback).
Now it should look much better (hopefully). Some renders with screws and feet will appear here soon.
274508-0

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 15:22:49 »
Honestly I could be in for a couple of these. What I'd really like is a macropad thats just 3x4 to have setup for just function keys. I like the look of this and the fact that its hotswap and programmable. I wouldn't mind having more keys though.

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 00:57:55 »
Honestly I could be in for a couple of these. What I'd really like is a macropad thats just 3x4 to have setup for just function keys. I like the look of this and the fact that its hotswap and programmable. I wouldn't mind having more keys though.

Thanks for your feedback!
With help of VIAL firmware it is possible to program both macros and combos, which is what you really need in macropad.
However, the size of the firmware is huge, so one should sacrifice some of the rgb modes.
The firmware will be posted on the github after the group buy, and anyone can edit and fine-tune it to his demands (I am pretty sure that 98% of users won't need that).

As for the amount of keys, I have it configured in a quite specific way right now (which I should've described in the first post):
Layer 0: F-keys act as macro key. If mod key (left bottom key) is being held, then Layer 1 is activated momentarily. If mod key is tapped once, then Layer 2 is set as a default layer.
Layer 2: everything is the same - holding activates Layer 3, tapping sets Layer 0 as a default layer.

This may sound overcomplicated, but it lets you to utilize 2 configurations of 12 quickly accessible keys in each one.

Offline pepperoni

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 23:12:17 »
UPDATE 12/28/2021

After 6 months of waiting, the QMK online configurator and VIA support were added.
The v2 production prototypes are delayed.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 December 2021, 07:14:37 »
Macropads following the 65s top corner blocker meta and that DMCA logo. Regardless seems like a dencent project considering the target/est price.