geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Staggered/Columnar/Ortholinear analysis?

<< < (3/4) > >>

ergo_typing:
@Findecanor

--- Quote ---traditional row-staggered keyboard there is a slight wrist angle of the right hand against the keyboard's plane
--- End quote ---
very interesting observation. I wonder if this could be alleviated by floating the wrists a little more.

--- Quote ---plane rotated slightly so that the thumb-keys are pressed at a more natural angle.
--- End quote ---
that rotation makes the hand position much more neutral doesn't it - more of a handshake position.

--- Quote ---The ErgoDOX copied the Kinesis' thumb cluster
--- End quote ---
I always thought that was an odd choice - I'm assuming they made it to simply the manufacturing process, rather than an ergonomic decision.

ak66666:
I kind of performed such a research, the result is not a written article but a design.
Most of the ideas were listed in this thread, most important:
- neutral arm and hand position
- reduced hand/finger movement

The starting point was Let's Split and Dactyl-Manuform.
From them I got the idea of columnar and vertical stagger.
Other points:
- Thumbs operate on maximum two keys each.
- Keyboard to be tented by default.
- Layer operations to be mostly controlled by thumbs.
- Cursor, mouse to be on the keyboard.
- Key wells/Curvature can be successfully imitated/approximated with PCBs.
- Angle between the halves (in case of a unibody version) is around 44 degrees.
- No key/modifier use should result in splaying the palm, or stretching/rotating in to an awkward position.
- No key/modifier use should result in discomfort within the palm.
- Key press should go straight down (no sideways pressure on the joints.) ==> Switches to be placed of a flat surface (not curved like in DM or tented like in LS.)
- Standard QWERTY layout with close-to-standard modifier (Ctrl, Win, Alt, Menu) placement to be used.
- Index finger prefers stretching than bending in.
- Poke/punch not squeeze - the key needs with the hit/punch motion, not like squeezing the ball.

Again, this was not consolidated in writing, but was produced as a series of designs, which were observed in the natural habitat, the negative traits eliminated and the positive ones carried over into the new iterations.
The current version turned out to be stable enough and does not seem to require any significant changes.

nevin:
@ak66666 - what does your current iteration look like? curious to see what you ended up with.

FrederickWood:

--- Quote from: ak66666 on Wed, 18 January 2023, 12:40:59 ---I kind of performed such a research, the result is not a written article but a design.
Most of the ideas were listed in this thread, most important:
- neutral arm and hand position
- reduced hand/finger movement

The starting point was Let's Split and Dactyl-Manuform.
From them I got the idea of columnar and vertical stagger.
Other points:
- Thumbs operate on maximum two keys each.
- Keyboard to be tented by default.
- Layer operations to be mostly controlled by thumbs.
- Cursor, mouse to be on the keyboard.
- Key wells/Curvature can be successfully imitated/approximated with PCBs.
- Angle between the halves (in case of a unibody version) is around 44 degrees.
- No key/modifier use should result in splaying the palm, or stretching/rotating in to an awkward position.
- No key/modifier use should result in discomfort within the palm.
- Key press should go straight down (no sideways pressure on the joints.) ==> Switches to be placed of a flat surface (not curved like in DM or tented like in LS.)
- Standard QWERTY layout with close-to-standard modifier (Ctrl, Win, Alt, Menu) placement to be used.
- Index finger prefers stretching than bending in.
- Poke/punch not squeeze - the key needs with the hit/punch motion, not like squeezing the ball.

Again, this was not consolidated in writing, but was produced as a series of designs, which were observed in the natural habitat, the negative traits eliminated and the positive ones carried over into the new iterations.
The current version turned out to be stable enough and does not seem to require any significant changes.

--- End quote ---
Can you provide a detailed explanation of the design choices and features incorporated into the keyboard, including the inspiration and starting point of the design, the specific elements that were focused on such as neutral arm and hand positions, reduced hand and finger movement, columnar and vertical stagger, thumb operation on a maximum of two keys each, and any other notable considerations such as cursor and mouse placement, default tenting and key wells and curvature that can be imitated with PCBs, and the final design stability and any further improvement planned? When it comes to essay writing, the keyboard is an essential tool. That's why I am so interested in this subject because I am a writer for this site https://assignmentbro.com/us/do-my-english-homework and I want to improve my skills. A well-designed keyboard can make the process of writing an essay much more comfortable and efficient. A keyboard that is designed with ergonomics in mind can reduce the risk of repetitive strain injuries, which is especially important for students and writers who spend long hours typing.

anawilliam850:
To my knowledge, there isn't much research comparing the pain reduction of Staggered, Columnar, or Ortholinear keyboard layouts. However, some studies have suggested that Ortholinear layouts may reduce wrist deviation, which can lead to reduced wrist pain compared to Staggered layouts. Columnar layouts have been found to reduce finger movement, which can help reduce repetitive strain injuries. Ultimately, the best keyboard layout for reducing pain would depend on the individual's typing habits, wrist posture, and comfort level. It is recommended to try out different layouts and see which one feels most comfortable for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version