geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Suggestions for Advantage keyboard

<< < (3/107) > >>

jpc:
The controller on mine has a bug or two. Sometimes the CAPS LOCK light stays on even after CAPS LOCK is deactivated; toggling CAPS LOCK again clears the light. Sometimes the controller thinks the Shift key is stuck down when it's not; tapping the Shift key again clears it. I get one of these glitches every few minutes on an Advantage USB built in 2011.

Everything else is already great... please don't change too much  ;D

natas206:

--- Quote from: jpc on Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:08:27 ---The controller on mine has a bug or two. Sometimes the CAPS LOCK light stays on even after CAPS LOCK is deactivated; toggling CAPS LOCK again clears the light. Sometimes the controller thinks the Shift key is stuck down when it's not; tapping the Shift key again clears it. I get one of these glitches every few minutes on an Advantage USB built in 2011.

Everything else is already great... please don't change too much  ;D

--- End quote ---

Next time that problem occurs try holding down both left & right shift keys for a moment or two, should instantly clear the problem.

BTW, we're aware of this bug, although it seems strange you experience these problems so frequently. If you're using a KVM switch, USB hub, docking station, etc., it could increase the chances of these problems, since it seems to be some kind of timing delay that can occur where the computer sees the downstroke of a pressed shift key but never sees the upstroke. More than likely it's related to the firmware since it's something that's been reported over several years, although we've never really been able to consistently reproduce it here at Kinesis. The current firmware was designed by a third party who have since went out of business which is why we haven't been able to update it. However the new electronics will be our own and very early prototypes show this will not be a problem.

Send me an email (tech@kinesis.com) and I can save your info and possibly add you to a list of beta testers of the new electronics when they become available in 2013, if you're interested. We may be interested in your feedback since you experience these problems so frequently which isn't typical.

wasabah:
Really interested in the next version of Contoured keyboard - do you have a rough idea when you might introduce it?

natas206:

--- Quote from: wasabah on Thu, 27 December 2012, 01:10:04 ---Really interested in the next version of Contoured keyboard - do you have a rough idea when you might introduce it?

--- End quote ---

If everything goes as planned, this year.

TotalChaos:

--- Quote from: natas206 on Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:23:05 ---Please share any thoughts and ideas of what you would like to see for the next version of Contoured keyboard.

--- End quote ---
I want a keyboard more or less like the Kinesis Advantage except flat with Cherry Red switches and works on PS/2.

You could add some extra keys to the middle too if u wanted.
You could add some extra keys to the thumb area too if u wanted.

It does not hurt to have some spare extra keys on the keyboard that the user can define as desired.

If you would have allowed me to buy a flat Kinesis Advantage with Cherry Red switches that works on PS/2 I would have already bought 3 of them a few months ago.

Instead I am being forced to spend thousands of $$$ on all sorts of different keyboards.

I have no problem with the pricing of your current Kinesis Advantage.
And your return policy is super duper nice.

But I honestly just don't think that crazy keywell shape is for me.  I have severe horrifically bad handpain problems but I have never ever craved or wanted a keyboard shaped like that.

I especially do not want to be tempted to lay my wrist on that high point of the keyboard.  That is incredibly unhealthy and directly causes RSI, Tendonitis, CTS and other horrible problems.  I like my normal flat cherry red keyboards.  There is no temptation to lay my wrist on anything.

Also I don't think my soft crashpads would work in the crazy shaped kinesis advantage.  I need a flat keyboard for that.

I need a keyboard that lets me SHIFT with my thumbs.

I would not mind SHIFTing with my feet from time to time.

If I bought a Kinesis I am sure I would buy the super deluxe version with everything.

I could have bought a Kinesis Advantage "for the hell of it".  "Just to give it a try."  And to show my support of your company because it seems like u r at least trying. (which is a lot more than I can say for most keyboard companies)  But I really really really do not think it will work out for me.

For the time being I am being forced to buy WASD keyboards or Filcos because they let me buy a flat keyboard compatible with crashpads, compatible with PS/2 with Red switches.

I am researching different substances to glue on top of my keycaps to have a healthier, softer, less violent, less painful keyboard experience.  But I don't have much useful to report on that other than 10A rubber is way too hard.

I do not require Red switches.  I would rather have a switch more intelligently designed than Red.  Its not so hard to do if you have money.  But among these simplistic, primitive antiergonomic switch choices presented by Cherry, Alps and Matias, Cherry Red wins.  But a better switch could be 100x better.

Whatever new keyboard you come out with, if it is rigged to not work on PS/2 then I won't buy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version