Author Topic: Kinesis Freestyle  (Read 8886 times)

Offline itlnstln

Kinesis Freestyle
« on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 10:36:18 »
Has anyone used a Kinesis Freestyle (or know what type of key switches it uses)?  I am looking for an ergonomic, tactile keyboard.  I love my two Model M's, but typing on them all day gives me wrist pain, so I am relegated to using a Microsoft Natural 4000.  I am trying to decide between the Kinesis and a Northgate Evolution.  Thanks!!!

Offline JohnnyBoy

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 11:44:30 »
Don't know if you've seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxH7Uith0tQ
It's an Advantage rather than a Freestyle.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 12:14:17 »
itlnstln: I may be able to do a group buy on Model M15s, if buckling spring is your preferred flavor. ;)

There's this company, Shuayico, Ltd., that claims to have a BUNCH of used, working Model M15s, that they're selling in lots of 30.

I sent them a request for a quote, if/when I get that, I can give a price.

Offline itlnstln

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 12:42:07 »
bhtooefr:

The M15 sounds pretty tasty.  I think I have tried to get a quote from them before, but never heard back from them.  I would definately be interested if you can get your hands on some.

Johnnyboy:

I like tho sound of the Advantage.  If the Freestyle uses the same switches, I would be interested.

Offline djones

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 17:38:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;5716
Has anyone used a Kinesis Freestyle (or know what type of key switches it uses)?  I am looking for an ergonomic, tactile keyboard.  I love my two Model M's, but typing on them all day gives me wrist pain, so I am relegated to using a Microsoft Natural 4000.  I am trying to decide between the Kinesis and a Northgate Evolution.  Thanks!!!

The advantage uses brown cherries, the freestyle I think uses rubber membrane keys. but be aware that ergonomic does not mean no wrist pain. I tried the advantage, and yes, it temporarily relieved wrist pains because I was typing with different muscles, but in the end, typing in any fixed position for extended period of time is bad for you.

Offline JohnnyBoy

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 June 2008, 17:33:25 »
Quote from: itlnstln;5721
Johnnyboy:

I like tho sound of the Advantage.  If the Freestyle uses the same switches, I would be interested.

I like the sound of the Advantage too. It exactly reminds me of the sound that the keyboard on the old Commodore PET used to make.... (for a reminder, have a listen to this vid from 2:12 to 2:21)

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 June 2008, 23:56:30 »
I tried a Kinesis freestyle, but ended up returning it.

The adjustability is kinda cool, but I could never get it to be as comfortable as the MS natural elite. It has pretty good switches for being membrane.. better than the MS Natural Elite I'd say, but each half is like a half of a flat keyboard. No curve.

I've gotten used to the Alt being between X and C on my ms natural elite, and I've sort of found that it's very hard for me to move to any other kind of keyboard.
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline JohnnyBoy

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 12:19:14 »
I've just found a pretty good 'real world' review of the Kinesis Advantage: http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/kinesis-contoured-advantage-keyboard/4505-3134_7-33070219.html

Offline alexlzl

returning freestyle
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 03:10:27 »
Order a Kinesis Freestyle and is going to return it. The idea is quite good, however the feeling of the key is just horrible (soft, smooshy, especially worse on the space bar).

Plus the V3 adjustment only give 5/15/25 degree angle, even 5 is a bit too much for me.
Using: Kinesis Contoured (Cherry Brown)
Own:  Realforce 86UK
Wish: Ergo layout Realforce

Offline DesktopJinx

Kinesis Freestyle
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 23:05:25 »
Quote from: alexlzl;12665
Plus the V3 adjustment only give 5/15/25 degree angle, even 5 is a bit too much for me.

FWIW (not much since you dislike the feel), the V3 bits are removable.

I just got my Kinesis Freestyle Tuesday night and worked on it all day Wednesday. Key feel is relative -- the Freestyle is no Model M, but it feels like heaven compared to the last ergonomic keyboard I'd tried: the Comfort Keyboard Original. The Comfort Keyboard's adjustment mechanism is a marvel, but to find keys with worse feel I have to go all the way back to the Commodore PET. The spacebar felt like it was falling off, and the others had jello-like actuation that would register two out of three keypresses.

The Freestyle reminded me of my old Fujitsu clicky keyboard, but even lighter. It's like a long-stroke notebook keyboard.
M15 for life