Author Topic: Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay  (Read 75845 times)

Offline nntnam

Re: Cherry PBT Dye Sub Keyboards on eBay
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 13:44:29 »
LOL. I bought the same set too. They are all DS. Brown on grey keycaps. I thought they are dyesub :( .
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 16:15:40 »
only the blue keys are doubleshots, the rest are dyesubs

left shift is kind of interesting, the center post seems in the right spot but the other two are set ever so slightly further out than on a cherry doubleshot left shift of the same size

are they really older MY switches?  wondering if they're any good (compared to the new awful ones), didn't really spend any time typing on them though before i removed the caps
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 November 2012, 17:13:13 by precarious »

Offline precarious

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:04:24 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Beta-8100-Home-Typing-System-Business-Office-Electronic-Typewriter-Vintage-/370700139470

not pbt but looks like another set of 8100 with doubleshots as previously seen in this thread

any idea what profile those keys are on the side?  would be nice if they were magically 1.25x bottom row cherry

pic from elsewhere in the thread: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/9/5/5/1/8/webimg/591981231_o.jpg
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:07:27 by precarious »

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:54:31 »
those look beat up as hell

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:24:00 »
The left side keys are 1x1.25 imagine numpad + key cut off at the top I guess. For the price it's not bad, especially if it has the M8 switches. Those are the ones that are basically same as MX but linear white.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:31:07 »
Crazy is right. Added to watch-list for the laughs.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hluo87

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:55:42 »
they are expensive!!!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:56:28 »
Dafuq? This **** is just getting retarded. The 1500 is also surely a frakenboard since they were made for German health system. Also it appears that the 1500 and 1000 have been plate modded? Strange.

Offline precarious

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:57:19 »
after typing on those typewriter PBT caps for a while and then switching to my shined up doubleshot board last night, i guess i can see why someone with a little more disposable income would spend this much, they're just a lot nicer to type on.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:03:07 »
Sure they are nice, but those price is just silly. I could see $250 maybe. The worst thing is they probably got them from some Chinese e-waste place for $2.

Offline precarious

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:13:42 »
yeah, i'd often wondered if it would be easiest to just try and get some kind of electronics recycling thing going to try and source old boards.  i went to a loca lshop a few months ago who told me they'd just finished filling up a dumpster with a ton of old boards, some of which were almost assurably cherry.  pretty hilarious how all these nice old boards get thrown out in favor of new flimsy crappy ones ;00000

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:15:23 »
yeah, i'd often wondered if it would be easiest to just try and get some kind of electronics recycling thing going to try and source old boards.  i went to a loca lshop a few months ago who told me they'd just finished filling up a dumpster with a ton of old boards, some of which were almost assurably cherry.  pretty hilarious how all these nice old boards get thrown out in favor of new flimsy crappy ones ;00000

Because people like to keep up with the modern shiny sheed yo. -_-
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 01:02:40 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Beta-8100-Home-Typing-System-Business-Office-Electronic-Typewriter-Vintage-/370700139470

not pbt but looks like another set of 8100 with doubleshots as previously seen in this thread

any idea what profile those keys are on the side?  would be nice if they were magically 1.25x bottom row cherry

pic from elsewhere in the thread: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/9/5/5/1/8/webimg/591981231_o.jpg

So I ended up picking up the keys in this listing as the seller was nice enough to pull all the keys and ship them to Australia for a reasonable price. I learnt that post-sale service is miles better than pre-sale service.

The key caps are dark grey on beige doubleshots (they match the beige from my white/beige DS set). So their colour is much darker in person than in the images. They are in much better condition than that second image (which is not the same board). They are not shiny at all and all have their original texture. The only visible wear is some yellowing on the blue keys, while the beige keys don't seem to be noticeably yellowed.

I'll put up some pics soon. Very happy with this pick up and they shall be going on my Poker and matched with the purple GMK mods :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 December 2012, 10:40:55 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 10:42:01 »
It seems the yellowing shows up on camera, but is really not that noticeable in person.

Offline frostwoozle

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 15:18:43 »

Offline precarious

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 15:41:25 »
The 8000's are not Cherry, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA-Royal-Beta-8000-Electric-Typewriter-/370509686712?pt=BI_Typewriters_Word_Processors&hash=item56441927b8

according to lysol anything with that semi-stepped caps lock isn't, also on some other models or pictures of that same model you can see they have rounded corners instead of good ol' sharp cherry slashers

edit: but frostwoozle's answer is probably better (nice name by the way) :)

Offline noxwood

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 23:43:04 »
Yeah, guess not.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 09:08:54 »
Looks like it's mitsumi.

Offline precarious

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 00:18:07 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adler-Royal-Satellite-4-Typewriter-/390518096734

after looking at this and this i'm almost positive these are cherry dye subs -- if not, then they're doubleshots with dyed sublegends; not sure why they'd do that, though.  i'm typing on an almost identical set right now and after looking at enough of those typewriters i don't see how they couldn't be cherry caps.  the problem is i contacted the guy via e-mail, with a picture, and even called him on the phone and he kind of hurriedly came back and said they didn't match and hung up.  that was about two months ago.  i'm thinking he either couldn't get the keycap off with ease or didn't care enough, so, someone else should probably contact this guy and figure out what is going on since it has been relisted about 50 times now and i'm tired of looking at it. :)

if they are dyesubs, you can automatically win at life and enjoy a superior typing experience.  the only thing keeping me from contacting the person again are the sublegends, they're a little less pleasing to look at than on the set i have, but you can't deny the feel of cherry pbt.

that caps lock is also center stemmed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 December 2012, 00:22:19 by precarious »

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 01:36:59 »
Very nice. The positioning of the legends means that it's almost a sure bet that they're dyesubs. If only I lived in the States, I would be picking this up right away.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 11:58:17 »
i'm almost positive these are cherry dye subs -- if not, then they're doubleshots with dyed sublegends; not sure why they'd do that, though.
I am also pretty sure these are dyesub. I went through a lot of pictures, trying to start a list. Just as an added note: I don't believe ABS dyesubs exist, so they're either DS& pad print or all pad print or PBT dyesub.

Also, if you only get the keycaps shipped (under an ounce sometimes, under 2 Oz very likely) it's pretty cheap shipping, even to Australia.

maybe if I end up getting this, I'll put my green doubleshot keycaps on it, and use these on my keyboard, Since the typewriter works, it'd be a shame not to use it.

I updated my page with the guess that they are dyesub.
http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Typewriters
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:00:28 by dorkvader »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:04:23 »
If anyone that is using the typewriters want some extra font wheels and ribbons I have some I don't want.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 13:07:42 »
I posted a while back asking about typewriters. You seem to be discussing them a bit here, and I was wondering if you knew whether these are MX compatible or could estimade the odds of them being useful in any way? I didn't get any good view of them at the time, but they look double shot and sperical to me. Pics are not even taken by a potato cam.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 20:13:02 »
i'm almost positive these are cherry dye subs -- if not, then they're doubleshots with dyed sublegends; not sure why they'd do that, though.
I am also pretty sure these are dyesub. I went through a lot of pictures, trying to start a list. Just as an added note: I don't believe ABS dyesubs exist, so they're either DS& pad print or all pad print or PBT dyesub.

Also, if you only get the keycaps shipped (under an ounce sometimes, under 2 Oz very likely) it's pretty cheap shipping, even to Australia.

maybe if I end up getting this, I'll put my green doubleshot keycaps on it, and use these on my keyboard, Since the typewriter works, it'd be a shame not to use it.

I updated my page with the guess that they are dyesub.

Nice list. Great resource for anyone looking for these.

And yeah that's exactly what I requested with the Beta 8100 caps I got this week. Except it was easier in that case as I paid the full price for the typewriter ($15) and requested to ship only the keycaps afterwards.

Are you not using your green doubleshots for anything else? I'll take them off your hands if not :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 00:32:46 »
damorgue, I have seen typewriters with similar keys on eBay before. I do not believe they are MX compatible, but I don't really know for sure (Not having seen one).

jeroplane, They're on my spare grey G80-8113, which is not currently in use. I'm thinking of maybe selling it.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 02:28:55 »
I posted a while back asking about typewriters. You seem to be discussing them a bit here, and I was wondering if you knew whether these are MX compatible or could estimade the odds of them being useful in any way? I didn't get any good view of them at the time, but they look double shot and sperical to me. Pics are not even taken by a potato cam.

They are most likely not MX-compatible. I have seen sphericals like that on typewriters, and while the stem mount matches the cross of MX stems, I believe the four "stabilising tabs" (not sure what they're called, but the four things that connect the key cap sides to the stem mount) usually extend to the bottom of the key. So while they can be placed on MX switches, they cannot be pressed down at all.

damorgue, I have seen typewriters with similar keys on eBay before. I do not believe they are MX compatible, but I don't really know for sure (Not having seen one).

jeroplane, They're on my spare grey G80-8113, which is not currently in use. I'm thinking of maybe selling it.

If you ever do sell it, you have a buyer right here :) I love that dark green, it's my favourite colour. I've been looking around for another Alpha 700D or 610 to get that set, but haven't found one yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 02:33:14 by jeroplane »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 05:49:01 »
They are most likely not MX-compatible. I have seen sphericals like that on typewriters, and while the stem mount matches the cross of MX stems, I believe the four "stabilising tabs" (not sure what they're called, but the four things that connect the key cap sides to the stem mount) usually extend to the bottom of the key. So while they can be placed on MX switches, they cannot be pressed down at all.

At least that might make them usable. I am not above removing those supports to make them fit. I have removed ribs from molded parts before and it is usually very easy with a plier to remove them without damaging the rest. There are like 20 of them stacked in a shed close to where my parents live. I might go have a more thorough look sometime. I could probably only find use in the alpha block though, as the shapes and stabilizers of the others might be more of a hassle to adapt to a modern layout.

Thx

Offline precarious

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 15:09:29 »

At least that might make them usable. I am not above removing those supports to make them fit. I have removed ribs from molded parts before and it is usually very easy with a plier to remove them without damaging the rest. There are like 20 of them stacked in a shed close to where my parents live. I might go have a more thorough look sometime. I could probably only find use in the alpha block though, as the shapes and stabilizers of the others might be more of a hassle to adapt to a modern layout.

Thx

album: http://imgur.com/a/ZBmCn

some old cherry sphericals for reference, as mentioned they will fit onto an MX stem but can't recede into the switch housing.  i'd probably recommend a dremel or something for those since you'll need to grind down some of the plastic stem portion, too, but the ones you showed may be different.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 15:11:27 by precarious »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 17:36:43 »
Ah, I see. I thought there were only the ribs that extended to far down and thus hit the housing. Those could easily be removed. I see the problem you mentioned now, that will be much harder to fix.

Probably going to check them out. I am visiting them now, unfortunately I don't have any keycap to compare it too, and don't have my cad files either. What is the normal diameter of the cylinder in which a normal MX socket is located in a keycap?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 19:05:08 »
Ah, I see. I thought there were only the ribs that extended to far down and thus hit the housing. Those could easily be removed. I see the problem you mentioned now, that will be much harder to fix.

Probably going to check them out. I am visiting them now, unfortunately I don't have any keycap to compare it too, and don't have my cad files either. What is the normal diameter of the cylinder in which a normal MX socket is located in a keycap?

Don't have calipers for a more accurate measurement, but it's approx. 6mm at most.

Offline precarious

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 18:40:51 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 19:14:03 »

Offline precarious

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 19:50:52 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adler-Royal-Satellite-4-Typewriter-/221177572158

blue cherry dyesub pbt ;0
If someone buys this, please post. I would like confirmation for the resource I'm building.

they're definitely dye subs, i have a set, not sure about the switches though since i only had the seller send the keycaps.  didn't really think about it until afterwards but it might have been nice if it had the older linear ones.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 22:31:50 »
Yeah, same as this...

Offline precarious

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 06:30:24 »
i should have remembered that picture, since i'd seen it before -- oh well!

how are those switches compared to modern / vintage blacks, or something they're similar to?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:40:22 »
In between black and red.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 07:58:31 »
i have original cherry DS on my filco, they feel way different... but no im also not a bidder lolol
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline precarious

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:09:39 »

album: http://imgur.com/a/YyNqc

green cherry dyesubs from a recent purchase, as well as a quick comparison of blue, green, and gray/black dyesubs from a few royal typewriters

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:36:55 »
Very nice.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:21:30 »
album: http://imgur.com/a/YyNqc

green cherry dyesubs from a recent purchase, as well as a quick comparison of blue, green, and gray/black dyesubs from a few royal typewriters

Wow, those were packaged real nice. Also very nice find.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 22:54:51 »
Those green dyesubs are excellent.

Do you mind sharing which typewriter model they came from?

Offline precarious

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 04:12:25 »
royal alpha 115 for the greens, beta 220 for the black/gray w/ blue code key, satellite 4 for the blue dyesubs

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 21:08:52 »
No really cheap but you can make an offer: Triumph Adler Satellite 8

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:56:50 »
First fo all excuse me for the double-post :P

Those keys look like the ones on the Triumph Adler Gabriele 7007L but that typewriter is a Triumph Adler CompacTA 400. Do we have another source for Dye Subs?

I'm probably getting one for 10€ here in Spain and we will see what it has.

Offline precarious

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:59:38 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39491.msg773357

the ones you those are probably dyesubs, the layout is almost identical to the satellite 4 (above) which has blue dye subs
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 10:01:10 by precarious »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:12:44 »
Yes, same but there is no legend on the lock and shift for some reason.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:16:55 »
ES layout Dye Sub keycaps :D

I will try to get my hands on it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:19:42 »
I'm sure it would be easier to get your hands on than a 3000S*E/S*AES.