Author Topic: AEK II keycaps on Dell AT101W?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Yuvalhad12

• Lol I luv keyboards
AEK II keycaps on Dell AT101W?
« on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 03:29:34 »
Hey everyone, im new on that forum so please understand :D
OK now to my question, I bougth a Dell AT101W (ANSI), and I want to switch my keycaps to the AEK II keycaps, just because they look better.
anyhow, I think that there are some keycaps that wouldn't fit, because I guess there are some layout differences ?

Did anyone did it before and knows how to answer?

Thank you!
Keyboards:

*Zero keyboard with Gateron red, yellow and brown- Sold because I was stupid

*Old yellowed Clicky-modded Dell AT101W

*Lubed Microsoft 800 that currently is my daily driver

Offline zombimuncha

Re: AEK II keycaps on Dell AT101W?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 04:11:12 »
Alphas should be fine. Bottom row and F-Row will definitely not fit. The rest of the mods should be OK.

AEK and AEKII have a unique 1.5- 1.25 - 1.5 bottom row that nothing else uses. And the F-keys have their switches rotated 90 degrees ( ! )

Offline Yuvalhad12

• Lol I luv keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 04:38:37 »
Alphas should be fine. Bottom row and F-Row will definitely not fit. The rest of the mods should be OK.

AEK and AEKII have a unique 1.5- 1.25 - 1.5 bottom row that nothing else uses. And the F-keys have their switches rotated 90 degrees ( ! )

Thank you! I have forgot about the F row, lol
I have read that the profile of the AEK II keycaps is different, If I wouldn't use the whole AEK II keycaps it would feel different, wouldn't it?

Also, is there another cheap, affordable keyboard that uses PBT caps?
Keyboards:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 13:14:42 »
Mismatched profiles only really suck when they're side by side. If you have your whole bottom row having a different profile to your alphas it'd be much less noticeable.
AEK spacebars are ABS anyway. Does it really matter that much if the rest of the bottom row is ABS?
Easiest option to let you use most of the AEK caps would be to get a cheap TaiHao or Matias set for the bottom row. Actually I'm not 100% sure if the Matias set has the 1.25 bottom row mods you'd need.

Offline Yuvalhad12

• Lol I luv keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 05:04:09 »
Mismatched profiles only really suck when they're side by side. If you have your whole bottom row having a different profile to your alphas it'd be much less noticeable.
AEK spacebars are ABS anyway. Does it really matter that much if the rest of the bottom row is ABS?
Easiest option to let you use most of the AEK caps would be to get a cheap TaiHao or Matias set for the bottom row. Actually I'm not 100% sure if the Matias set has the 1.25 bottom row mods you'd need.

Well, thank you for your answer! I will look for matias keycaps when I will receive the dell and the AT101W.
Keyboards:

Offline binhdtx

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 21:29:31 »
Hey everyone, im new on that forum so please understand :D
OK now to my question, I bougth a Dell AT101W (ANSI), and I want to switch my keycaps to the AEK II keycaps, just because they look better.
anyhow, I think that there are some keycaps that wouldn't fit, because I guess there are some layout differences ?

Did anyone did it before and knows how to answer?

Thank you!

Your idea is same as my last year idea
and that is how it looks like after changed the keycaps

keycaps still Yellow is Dell

the white is AEK II