Author Topic: Looking for a new keyboard. change to Dvorak, External-usb...  (Read 1106 times)

Offline OutcastSpartan7

Looking for a new keyboard. change to Dvorak, External-usb...
« on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 05:35:13 »
I'm looking for a new keyboard for writing/gaming, but It needs to be able to change to Dvorak, I know most can, but some can be tricky.

Also, as I am intending to be gaming a lot, I would like to know if any keyboard have an USB port so i can plug my Wolfking Warrior Keypad into.

I hope to read your recommendations. :)

Offline stingrae

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:05:37 »
Quote from: OutcastSpartan7;522930
I'm looking for a new keyboard for writing/gaming, but It needs to be able to change to Dvorak, I know most can, but some can be tricky.

Also, as I am intending to be gaming a lot, I would like to know if any keyboard have an USB port so i can plug my Wolfking Warrior Keypad into.

I hope to read your recommendations. :)

I suggest having a look at colemak. Less difference to qwerty, however learning either will take time.

The CM storm has no extra usb ports but it is better to play on then a wolfking(I have had one, it has some good ideas but ultimately its a rubber dome that isnt as bad as a logitech g11). I do suggest blues for typing/gaming, reds are nice though but slightly more apt for fps gaming.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Vyr1s

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:15:00 »
Most games don't have keyboard layouts for Dvorak or Colemak.
As such the mappings either need to be redone, or you need to swap the OS layout for the game back to QWERTY.

If you're able to hit all keys without looking (random sequence rather than typing regularly) you should be OK.

Offline OutcastSpartan7

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 09:01:14 »
Quote from: stingrae;522986
I suggest having a look at colemak. Less difference to qwerty, however learning either will take time.

The CM storm has no extra usb ports but it is better to play on then a wolfking(I have had one, it has some good ideas but ultimately its a rubber dome that isnt as bad as a logitech g11). I do suggest blues for typing/gaming, reds are nice though but slightly more apt for fps gaming.

Quote from: Vyr1s;522991
Most games don't have keyboard layouts for Dvorak or Colemak.
As such the mappings either need to be redone, or you need to swap the OS layout for the game back to QWERTY.

If you're able to hit all keys without looking (random sequence rather than typing regularly) you should be OK.

I already had a Dvorak keyboard, I am used to them.

and as for the layout, that's why i was looking for a keyboard with a USB port so I can plug in my Wolfking warrior keypad, that's what i'd use in conjunction with the keyboard for WASD gaming.