Author Topic: Gaming vs Typing keyboard position  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Veridis

Gaming vs Typing keyboard position
« on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 22:16:04 »
Hello everyone. When I type, I position the keyboard such that the letter "B" (on qwerty) is directly in front of me. This allows my hands to be centered.
However, during gaming (WASD), I move the keyboard more to the left since my right hand is always on the mouse, to allow my hands to be centered.

What do you guys do?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline Altis

Re: Gaming vs Typing keyboard position
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:09:06 »
Pretty much the same idea.

Typing: I try to have the keyboard somewhat far away and have the center of the alphas lined up with my center to keep my wrists straight.

Gaming: I have the board lined up slightly inwards of perpendicular to my left arm. This is because my fingers are different lengths, and turning the board inward slightly allows my fingers to line up perfectly with A-W-D (ring-middle-index) and makes my pinky fall more naturally on Ctrl and Shift.

It's nice to switch it up, but the idea is that the keyboard is placed underneath the way your hand naturally falls.

TKL definitely seems to be far more ergonomic with regards to mouse and keyboard positions from my experience.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:26:44 »
the only game i play anymore is dota2 so i tilt my keyboard towards my left side slightly.

its a TKL so its closer to the inside of my body, and the slight tild lets me hit all the keys i need

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:37:25 »
I keep the keyboard in the same spot.While typing, I keep my chair straight and move slightly to the left.
While gaming, I center myself and play with the board in the same spot.
Both positions are close the edge of the desk.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:43:49 »
For typing I have it the same way you do, for gaming I rotate it inward about 15 degrees. I kept seeing pictures of people doing that and I was like, "why do they do that?" Then I tried it. "Oh, that's why."  :p
Zealio Master Race

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 11:19:01 »
Yep, shift mine a little to the left when gaming so I can have more room for my mouse and WASD is centered with my left hand. Since I never really learned to properly type for whatever reason and I game so much, I have a habit of just leaving it in that position and leaving my left hand WASD when resting
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 14:21:59 »
For typing I have it the same way you do, for gaming I rotate it inward about 15 degrees. I kept seeing pictures of people doing that and I was like, "why do they do that?" Then I tried it. "Oh, that's why."  :p

I too twist mine. Although not all the time. I like doing it for Dota, but my desk is at a really ****ty height.

For FPS games though, I can put it where-ever. I had my V60 on my lap while I was reclined at a funny angle at i52, that was pretty swag...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 14:38:57 »
HUGE IMAGES INCOMING

Typing

Playing FPS games

Playing ARTS games (ignore legs)

TINY DESK LIFE

Filco Camo with MX blues, cherry replica keyset.

Most of my time lately is spent with my keyboard actually on my desk, since I've been playing mostly DotA.

When I play TF2, I do drop my keyboard into my lap every now and again.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 15:19:47 »
Hello everyone. When I type, I position the keyboard such that the letter "B" (on qwerty) is directly in front of me. This allows my hands to be centered.
However, during gaming (WASD), I move the keyboard more to the left since my right hand is always on the mouse, to allow my hands to be centered.

What do you guys do?

I do almost the same.
That's also why i love 60% and TKL, because it leaves enough room for placing the keyboard just like you want to.

Offline EvilOliv3

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 00:57:30 »
My keyboard position is at a slight slant (right side is higher than left). Use to game a lot so my typing keyboard position is the same as when I game.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 05:37:50 »
I don't tend to change my position too much. Perhaps the largest difference would be that my stature is a little more slouched when gaming. You just don't need to worry about being all that precise when you're only worried about ~4 keys most of the time as opposed to the whole board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 05:57:38 by RoflCopter4 »
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:11:31 »
Well, I have an ergodox…

Offline Geoph

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:39:30 »
I game so much, I have a habit of just leaving it in that position and leaving my left hand WASD when resting

Pretty much the same as me. After 10,000 hours in dota2 and 5 years of WoW before that I never really adjust the position.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 21:11:49 »
An interesting question.

When I type, I tend to angle the keyboard so the left side is sightly closer to me and the right side is slightly further away.

When I game, the opposite - left side further away, right side closer.

Only a few degrees, and I tend to make continual micro adjustments to the position as I use the keyboard (e.g. made 2 micro adjustments to the keyboard since I started typing this post).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 00:01:43 »
Yep, shift mine a little to the left when gaming so I can have more room for my mouse and WASD is centered with my left hand. Since I never really learned to properly type for whatever reason and I game so much, I have a habit of just leaving it in that position and leaving my left hand WASD when resting
I don't game so much anymore but i always find that my hands are on WASD when i'm not paying attention and resting my hands.

As for my positions i tend to normally keep it so that F11 is centered with the center of my screen but when i need to start typing something that's more than a few sentences F8 or F9 is centered with the screen.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition