Author Topic: About MX black  (Read 7460 times)

Offline aloneYU

About MX black
« on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 18:28:31 »
Do U feel your fingers are sore and distended when u use it at a high frequency?
If what U will think the MX black is better? Increase the force,shorter travel or else?

Offline Nerif

Re: About MX black
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 11:51:16 »
Personally, MX Blacks are by far my favourite linears. They fit perfectly for me in terms of EVERYTHING. For me they are perfect both for gaming and typing. I enjoyed using their hyperglides.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Offline rjohn

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 14:24:59 »
exact same for me,i thought i am the only one who loves mx blacks.i lubed mine and are perfect for me.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 06:41:17 »
exact same for me,i thought i am the only one who loves mx blacks.i lubed mine and are perfect for me.

I think that MX Blacks are just really underrated in terms of daily usage. Most of people (at least as far as I know) choose MX Reds, and then get sick of making a lot of typos. This thing doesn't happen with MX Blacks, because they are far too heavy to actuate them with just laying your fingers on them.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 06:54:14 »
MX blacks are way too heavy for me. For long typing sessions i rather go with MX red or even a bit lighter 58.5G bottom out.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline rjohn

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 10:24:28 »
the first days i found the mx blacks a bit heavy but after some use ,now switches like red are way to soft for me.

Offline aloneYU

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 14:28:39 »
ok all guys

maybe my fingers are too weak hhhhhh

Offline Nerif

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 17:35:07 »
ok all guys

maybe my fingers are too weak hhhhhh

it's all about preference, but from my experience you just need to get used to them. Before trying them I was afraid that they will be too heavy, but in practice they were much better for me than the MX Reds

Offline Riverman

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 21:34:40 »
I have a Cherry G80-3000 with PCB-mounted blacks that's just wonderful to type on.  I put blacks in a Das Keyboard and thought they were too stiff, though.  There's something about those PCB-mounted keyboards that makes stiff switches feel a little lighter.

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 January 2023, 06:59:47 »
MX blacks might be a bit heavy for some users. Spring swap might help

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 January 2023, 16:37:53 »
Heavy linears are just about unusable for me, while something like box navies I can type away on all day long without any discomfort.

I don't think I have tried to put a concerted effort into using MX black since I felt the same about the Model M though either, and membrane buckling spring is at least tolerable now.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 20:41:46 »
Do U feel your fingers are sore and distended when u use it at a high frequency?
If what U will think the MX black is better? Increase the force,shorter travel or else?

This is an easy fix. MX Black springs are too heavy for many people, and MX Red springs are too light.

So just use an intermediate mid-weight spring in them.

I find that 65 G [14mm] is enjoyable in linears, as it 63.5 G Spirit. They are closer to the overall force of MX Brown, without being too light or too heavy.

There are also many nice linears that come in nice intermediate weights: WS Yellow and crystal blue, WS Red, Momoka Frog, SP Star Nana and Polaris Gray, Durock/JWK Mauve, 67 G Tangerine V2, KTT HaluHalo, and many more!

Offline aloneYU

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 January 2023, 09:54:20 »

This is an easy fix. MX Black springs are too heavy for many people, and MX Red springs are too light.

So just use an intermediate mid-weight spring in them.

I find that 65 G [14mm] is enjoyable in linears, as it 63.5 G Spirit. They are closer to the overall force of MX Brown, without being too light or too heavy.

There are also many nice linears that come in nice intermediate weights: WS Yellow and crystal blue, WS Red, Momoka Frog, SP Star Nana and Polaris Gray, Durock/JWK Mauve, 67 G Tangerine V2, KTT HaluHalo, and many more!

oh.thanks!!!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 January 2023, 13:45:16 »
You know, despite everything I have said about intermediate linears, it may be that your needs can be met by stacking a few sample packs during today's sale.

Maybe all you really need to do is buy a few switch testers together from KPRepublic.

2 or 3 different switch testers may allow you to reach $30 USD of spending, thus getting $3 discount.

And you will be able to test many of the important switches.

Gateron

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003952485726.html

JWICK and Kailh

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004359484614.html

Maybe an alternative Kailh option

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898546644.html

For a bonus, here's a bunch of OUTEMU samples for cheap. Just one of the 6, 7, or 24-piece one. Some of the silent ones are good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002427848379.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2023, 13:47:48 by HungerMechanic »

Offline gutiars4daze

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 January 2023, 10:55:54 »
I recently went the sample pack route from Hippokeys. They basically send one of everything they have in stock. It was really helpful, I was surprised at how many switches basically felt the same, and how some others (like Durock T1, Milky Yellows, the Kailh boxes that were in there) stood out. Also great to try some fan favorites like Boba U4t's that I hadn't tried before. I liked all the blacks, especially the MX black and Gateron Ink, but I have another board with Oil Kings in it so that was expected.

FWIW, I had been using Drop Holy Pandas on my one board but just didn't like how they sounded or felt. I ended up going with Tecsee Sapphires, they have such a marbly sound and an interesting feel that I like so far. And they look amazing.

Offline TitusExodus

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 January 2023, 21:02:57 »
I don't enjoy the stock mx black spring very much. I swapped some 18mm 65g springs into my mx blacks and lubed them. I much prefer them with longer and slightly lighter springs.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 January 2023, 09:02:31 »
I do plan on getting some JWICK blacks to try them out and see how they compare to the MX Blacks I currently have in the Ducky they came with (DK9008G2 - OCN Edition).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 January 2023, 12:48:06 »
I do plan on getting some JWICK blacks to try them out and see how they compare to the MX Blacks I currently have

The OP [Original Poster] is on holiday now, but I gave him some suggestions for mid-weight linears to sample when he gets back.

I think he could go one of two routes: buy sample orders (1-35 switches) of a few promising types, and maybe test them in combination with a cheap hotswap like Tester68/KBM68/GK68.

Or, find sample "switch tester" kits that include JWICK, Gateron, and some other linears.

That way, he will know what to put in a keyboard. Plus, try those different springs in MX Black.

With regard to JWICK Blacks, they seem very promising. I once purchased 90 JWICK T1 for about $25, and they are honestly pretty decent. Not too scratchy, fairly tight housings, and there's factory-lube. I should go and try them out again.

You should be able to get 90 for $25-30, no more than that.

The JWICK Black seems to come in two weights: 58.5 G and 63.5 G. The latter would be a more intermediate weight, none of them are weighted like MX Black. You would want the newer R2 design, I imagine:
https://keyboard.sg/collections/jwk/products/jwick-black-lubricated-linear-switches

And you can buy individual JWICK samples directly from Durock's store on AliExpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004336536779.html

In all likelihood, the weakness of the JWICK Black is likely the stock spring, which can sometimes crunch. Best-practice would be to both lube and film the JWICKs, and use aftermarket springs. That would turn these budget switches into top-tier in practice.

You would think in terms of stock intermediate linears, the quality chain might go up a little with price:

JWICK Black > Gateron Pro Yellow V 2.0 > Gateron CAP Milky Yellow > AKKO Cream Yellow V3 > Durock intermediate linears > Gateron Ink > Gateron Oil King > Zeal linears

With AULA / Leobog towards the bottom of decent switches, and KTT underrated for their price.

It's probably not a straight line, though. Some of those switches require less or no work from the user [All the Gaterons can be used stock, but benefit from lube, cheaper and older JWK/Durocks need L + F, AKKO Cream is supposed to be no-fuss.]

Someone feel free to correct me on this, as I only have direct experience with KTT and Durock linears. Typically, the Gateron Pro and especially CAP switches are factory-lubed, and only a discerning person needs to lube them. JWICKs are okay out-of-box, but reach their full potential with user modification. Maybe the best price-to-performance ratio when hand-prepared.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 January 2023, 12:45:24 »
I recently went the sample pack route from Hippokeys. They basically send one of everything they have in stock. It was really helpful, I was surprised at how many switches basically felt the same, and how some others (like Durock T1, Milky Yellows, the Kailh boxes that were in there) stood out. Also great to try some fan favorites like Boba U4t's that I hadn't tried before. I liked all the blacks, especially the MX black and Gateron Ink, but I have another board with Oil Kings in it so that was expected.

FWIW, I had been using Drop Holy Pandas on my one board but just didn't like how they sounded or felt. I ended up going with Tecsee Sapphires, they have such a marbly sound and an interesting feel that I like so far. And they look amazing.

In my experience stock MX Black spring fits perfectly for me. Now I use a keyboard with Kailh BOX Dark Yellows, they're way too heavy for me.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 14:06:03 »
I do plan on getting some JWICK blacks to try them out and see how they compare to the MX Blacks I currently have

The OP [Original Poster] is on holiday now, but I gave him some suggestions for mid-weight linears to sample when he gets back.

I think he could go one of two routes: buy sample orders (1-35 switches) of a few promising types, and maybe test them in combination with a cheap hotswap like Tester68/KBM68/GK68.

Or, find sample "switch tester" kits that include JWICK, Gateron, and some other linears.

That way, he will know what to put in a keyboard. Plus, try those different springs in MX Black.

With regard to JWICK Blacks, they seem very promising. I once purchased 90 JWICK T1 for about $25, and they are honestly pretty decent. Not too scratchy, fairly tight housings, and there's factory-lube. I should go and try them out again.

You should be able to get 90 for $25-30, no more than that.

The JWICK Black seems to come in two weights: 58.5 G and 63.5 G. The latter would be a more intermediate weight, none of them are weighted like MX Black. You would want the newer R2 design, I imagine:
https://keyboard.sg/collections/jwk/products/jwick-black-lubricated-linear-switches

And you can buy individual JWICK samples directly from Durock's store on AliExpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004336536779.html

In all likelihood, the weakness of the JWICK Black is likely the stock spring, which can sometimes crunch. Best-practice would be to both lube and film the JWICKs, and use aftermarket springs. That would turn these budget switches into top-tier in practice.

You would think in terms of stock intermediate linears, the quality chain might go up a little with price:

JWICK Black > Gateron Pro Yellow V 2.0 > Gateron CAP Milky Yellow > AKKO Cream Yellow V3 > Durock intermediate linears > Gateron Ink > Gateron Oil King > Zeal linears

With AULA / Leobog towards the bottom of decent switches, and KTT underrated for their price.

It's probably not a straight line, though. Some of those switches require less or no work from the user [All the Gaterons can be used stock, but benefit from lube, cheaper and older JWK/Durocks need L + F, AKKO Cream is supposed to be no-fuss.]

Someone feel free to correct me on this, as I only have direct experience with KTT and Durock linears. Typically, the Gateron Pro and especially CAP switches are factory-lubed, and only a discerning person needs to lube them. JWICKs are okay out-of-box, but reach their full potential with user modification. Maybe the best price-to-performance ratio when hand-prepared.

When it has come to switches since my cannon-balling into the rabbithole of customs, I tend to buy 70-90 switches and run them for a month or more - if I like them they remain on the board until I feel like trying something else.  The 63.5g variant might be the flavor I will pick up as I daily MX-Blacks on a board at work - so I know their weight and feel over-all (something lighter yet close would be nice).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 17:29:48 »
Trying 70 - 90 switches at a time can be a good idea, and I recommended it to the OP as one possible strategy.

As long as you buy switches at bulk-ish prices [for an entire keyboard] during sales, and have an affordable hotswap keyboard to use them with, you will learn a lot.

Offline gutiars4daze

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 11:53:28 »
In my experience stock MX Black spring fits perfectly for me. Now I use a keyboard with Kailh BOX Dark Yellows, they're way too heavy for me.
I might have to try the MX Blacks and see how they feel to me. I went rouge this week and bought some kailh box white v2's to replace the Oil Kings in my one board. I love everything about the oil king/MT3 combo - they felt and sounded amazing. But man, just too sensitive for me, especially with MT3s. I had so many edge actuations it was starting to drive me nuts. I loooove how the box whites feel for typing - super fast, super accurate, perfect for me, but not sure I can ever get over that machine gun sound of clickies. I have two boards right now but could see getting a third - basically one for linears, tactiles, and clickies, each with a different aesthetic vibe and use case.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 19:09:29 »
It would be really great to have a tactile with the properties of Kailh BOX White [crisp, definite acutation, fast], but without the click noise.

The dampened versions of TTC Bluish White are kind of like that. But I would prefer something crisper and lighter.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 10:20:08 »
It would be really great to have a tactile with the properties of Kailh BOX White [crisp, definite acutation, fast], but without the click noise.

The dampened versions of TTC Bluish White are kind of like that. But I would prefer something crisper and lighter.

Have you heard about Kailh BOX Mute Jades?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 15:17:24 »

Yes, they seem very interesting.

However, I have heard that they don't quite feel like BOX Jades. Something about mushiness or different weight or break-point or something.

I like BOX Jades, they are fun. But I prefer the weight and the more cursory click of BOX Whites. So I guess I'd like a "BOX Mute White."

Offline Nerif

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 05:20:47 »

Yes, they seem very interesting.

However, I have heard that they don't quite feel like BOX Jades. Something about mushiness or different weight or break-point or something.

I like BOX Jades, they are fun. But I prefer the weight and the more cursory click of BOX Whites. So I guess I'd like a "BOX Mute White."

I think you can make them considering that these jades are muted due to the dampeners in the housing as far as I know

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 12:28:26 »

I think you can make them considering that these jades are muted due to the dampeners in the housing as far as I know

Thanks. It's tempting. But I think I'll wait and see if Kailh will just bring out a dampened BOX White [or something lighter than Jade.]

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 01:23:46 »

Well, they're supposed to be heavy, of course. I like them, but I wouldn't be happy using them all the time. They feel good after you've been typing on, say, buckling springs for a while.

It's tricky. Piano keyboards have lighter and heavier touches, too. If they're too light, you can't play with much expression, because there's nothing to work with. That's how I feel with extra-light switches, too. There's a definite middle ground.

I find it helps having Blacks in a really solid board, like the SteelSeries 6G. (And yes, it inexplicably has a Big Ass Enter, and the weird logo key... You needn't point that out.) Like most switches, you can enjoy them best in a board with no flex or wobble. Then after a half hour or so, you can switch to something else.

It's all about variety. When you have enough keebs, life's always interesting. You don't need different types of food, or relationships, or even to go anywhere. (LOL) Okay, I'm probably exaggerating—but it's close.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg