Author Topic: Stange spacebar  (Read 2762 times)

Offline demas

Stange spacebar
« on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 11:15:24 »
I have a clone of HHKB from Aliexpress and trying to change kecaps to DSA profile.  Now I have a problem with a spacebar.

White spacebar is original.  Black is the new one.  As you can see original spacebar have a attachment point shifted from the center of the keycap. Is it possible to find such keycaps ?

Also I had a look to PCB.  Why the manufacturer use such shifted attachment point to the spacebar.  Is it possible to move spacebar's switch to the left ?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Stange spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:06:24 »
Can you link the exact board you have?  I think you mean "HHKB layout" because an HHKB uses topre switches, and not MX as shown in your photo.

The term for the original keycap is an "off-center 6u spacebar"   Yes, you can find them around.

I'm going to say that yes, you can move that switch.  To check, pull up a program to test keystrokes like EK switchhitter.  Then, use a paperclip to touch the positive and negative pads on the center switch position.  If it registers a keypress, you know you're good to move it.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:12:29 »
Looking into it, I'm not sure there is an off-center 6u in DSA profile out there.  GMK sets that have a 6u spacebar all have off-center stems, however. 

If you're sure you want DSA profile, I would say move the switch over.

Offline demas

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:24:44 »
Yes, it is HHKB lyeout keyboard with cherry switches: https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Hhkb-mechanical-keyboard-kit-anode-aluminum-cnc-custom-cherry-shaft-with-light-cherry-blue-pbt-keycap/32719978752.html

Like I said, if you want DSA, move that switch to the center.  If you like GMK, there are a lot of sets with supporting spacebars

Offline demas

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:34:13 »
I have all other DSA keys already and I will try to move switch.
Can you please explain what does GMK means ?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:44:12 »
GMK is a popular German keycap producer who makes "cherry" profile keycaps.  They are popular because of their thickness, quality, and unique colorways.  Most GMK sets are made of double-shot ABS plastic.

Here is a set called "Nautilus" which shows an off-center 6u keycap.
195357-0

Here is a render of another popular set called "9009"  You can see the 6u cap on the bottom row.  It has an off-center stem.
195359-1

The cherry profile is cylindrical and sculptured, similar in shape to what came on the keyboard you bought, but slightly shorter in height.