Author Topic: [IC] Ferrum by KOKO. A mirror polished, stainless steel, 40% keyboard.  (Read 11886 times)

Offline Blitzschnitzel

Renderings:

276511-0

276513-1

276515-2
Top Left: Neoprene dampener for in between the switches. Top Right: Mounting screws and rubber washers.
Middle Left: Case frame. Middle Right: A stack of neoprene to fill the space under the PCB.
Bottom Left: Laser etched acrylic back plate. Bottom Right: Switch plate.

276549-3
Push in PVC feet, because we really don't like the glue on feet coming off.

Our yet unpolished prototype: (Also no cut for the USB port yet)

276517-4

276519-5

276521-6

276523-7

276541-8

Hi, we are a team of two CNC machinists from Latvia and an industrial designer from Germany. Since the design and manufacturing comes from the same people, we are very free to experiment with shapes and materials.

For our first project we are working on Ferrum. A mirror polished, stainless steel, 40% keyboard. We chose stainless steel because, when polished, it gives a very clear, warm and lasting reflection. In comparison, polished and anodized aluminium has a rather dull sheen and polished brass or copper would need a clear coating which will wear off.

With roughly 1.6kg this keyboard will definitely stay where you put it. It might not be a portable laptop extension but it would be a great conversation piece for 40% afficionados on PC. The angle is 7° and the centre top of a DSA keycap on bottom row is 28mm high

We are planning switch plates for plank and plank style ortho PCBs as well as the Daisy PCB. The 4x4 numpad is an idea for a later time. Neoprene dampeners are also in planning. Also, we like the unpolished raw look with all the tooling marks so much. We are discussing if we should offer an unpolished version. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2021, 16:13:50 by Blitzschnitzel »

Offline d3adc3II

Re: [IC] Ferrum by KOKO. A mirror polished, stainless steel, 40% keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 10:20:27 »
this size is perfect for ortho layout. Ortho pls.

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 10:20:44 »
Definitely an interesting project, will keep my eyes on it... totally love the the unpolished raw look!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 10:30:28 »
X2

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 10:37:42 »
As you can see on the second picture, we have already planned for an ortho version. ;) The switch plate is already laser cut. Only the USB port will be on the left instead of the middle for the ortho version.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 11:06:14 »
I need that unpolished finish! It looks absolutely stunning, and would also be cheaper I presume.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 11:17:52 »
As you can see on the second picture, we have already planned for an ortho version. ;) The switch plate is already laser cut. Only the USB port will be on the left instead of the middle for the ortho version.
I just grazed over that picture as some artistic take on your board. I suggest to more explicitly state there will be an ortho version, for a side board and some ortho plates hidden in pictures is not nearly enough and they show you are not keen or care about them.

Offline qwahtroh

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 11:25:22 »
Really like the unpolished look. +1 for ortho

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 11:34:05 »
I need that unpolished finish! It looks absolutely stunning, and would also be cheaper I presume.

Yes. At this early stage we are not able yet to fully estimate the production costs. Since Covid-19 the price of stainless steel has also fluctuated immensely. The polishing will be the most labour-intensive step. So, a raw version will definitely be cheaper.

I just grazed over that picture as some artistic take on your board. I suggest to more explicitly state there will be an ortho version, for a side board and some ortho plates hidden in pictures is not nearly enough and they show you are not keen or care about them.

Thank you for the input. I have put a highlight on the text section.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 12:04:06 »
This looks great, I vote unpolished. Will definitely be in for an ortho version.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 12:09:08 »
This is like the perfect intersection of P4CK3R and Menhir.
I'm in.

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 13:23:38 »
The keycaps look cosy. Love it.
Hope it's affordable :)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 13:51:24 »
Keyboard design great enough to convince me into a 40%. Macro pad looks really really awesome!

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 14:05:36 »
Fyi, keyhive has a 40% board that compatible with other cases.  Would be cool if manufacturers worked together to create a universal 40% fitment. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 14:08:22 »
I see now why you were asking about typing height  :p

Really cool project! As others have said, that unfinished look with the raw striations actually looks pretty nice. I'll be following along closely
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 15:55:45 »
love this.  19.05mm ortho ?

likely i'd make my own plate

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 16:29:38 »
I see now why you were asking about typing height  :p

Exactly :D

love this.  19.05mm ortho ?

likely i'd make my own plate

As it is planned for now, the ortho plate will fit both 19.05mm and 19mm grids. The cut-outs in the middle will fit the switch precisely and then get a tiny bit wider towards the edges. Since the 40% is just 12 keys wide, the extra width on the outside will just be 0.3mm. Well within the tolerance for Cherry switches.
The hight of the grid is 19.05, since the 0.1mm difference should easily be taken up by the hot swaps or through holes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 September 2021, 20:03:34 by Blitzschnitzel »

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 21:08:29 »
I'm in.

Offline aperumdesign

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 04:46:09 »
Clicked for the mirror polished SS in the title, but that unpolished SS look is really interesting and unique. I'd be in either way. Also extremely keen on the idea of a matching numpad

Offline Thockologist

• Formerly PoorlyDrawnKeebs
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 08:27:13 »
Always have been curious about 40% boards, this might make me jump on getting one depending on the price. I think the unpolished prototype looks fantastic, the texture from machined metals always looks great imo.

Offline cigs_coffee

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 13:09:46 »
Def. prefer the unpolished look.

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 07:26:56 »
Thank you everyone for the great feedback.
There is one thing I would like to ask the community about the plate mounting method. In the prototype the plate is still top mounted. A gasket mount would need a solid back piece. Right now, the keyboard has a nice heft but a back piece would send the weight off the rails.
Our idea is to use nitrile washers around the eight mounting points to decouple the plate.
Would it be fair to call this solution a gasket mount? Mechanically it should behave the same as a regular gasket mount and be more customizable.

Offline aperumdesign

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 07:51:46 »
Would it be fair to call this solution a gasket mount? Mechanically it should behave the same as a regular gasket mount and be more customizable.

(Attachment Link)

I think I'd be more inclined to call that solution an isolated top mount, but it would surely help nonetheless.
I suppose another option would be to replace or even couple washers with leaf-springs on the plate. Something like what the Menhir by Fruit is employing (although there are probably enough resemblances between the boards at this point!)
Also nothing wrong with extra heft! But not sure what impact that would have on affordability

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 08:03:59 »

(Attachment Link)

I think I'd be more inclined to call that solution an isolated top mount, but it would surely help nonetheless.
I suppose another option would be to replace or even couple washers with leaf-springs on the plate. Something like what the Menhir by Fruit is employing (although there are probably enough resemblances between the boards at this point!)
Also nothing wrong with extra heft! But not sure what impact that would have on affordability

It'd probably start to be a problem for shipping costs at some point. Imagine getting a 40% case strapped to a mini pallet, delivered by freight!

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 12:22:58 »

I could make a flex simulation in Solidworks. But the thing with leaf springs is that I have yet to find someone who can tell me how much exactly the plate should flex. Washers are a lot more user adjustable. Add a few, take a few away.

It'd probably start to be a problem for shipping costs at some point. Imagine getting a 40% case strapped to a mini pallet, delivered by freight!

Yes, 2kg packed is a magic mark. Plus, we are trying to keep the price low. A solid back piece would probably add 50% to the selling price.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 15:36:56 »
I didn’t know I needed this… thanks for letting me know :)

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 12:30:57 »
Hi. We have made an IC form. We would be very happy if you guys would answer our questionnaire to help us further develop this project. Also if you already posted here.;) If you want, you can leave your email address in the form. We would then send you an email when this project goes into a group buy.

IC Form:
https://forms.gle/qNbuaMDVwX58W9cFA
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2021, 07:19:52 by Blitzschnitzel »

Offline Big Click

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 17:30:37 »
I need this in my life! :eek:

Offline dtywill

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 20:18:48 »
Will there be a discord channel or will updates only be here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 10:08:16 »
Will there be a discord channel or will updates only be here

To be honest this is our first IC and we don't know all the ropes yet. So, if a Discord channel is needed, we will open one. Most ICs here seem to be more pre-GroupBuy marketing for a finished design. We are more interested in your feedback to influence design decisions. That is why your feedback and filling out the IC form is much appreciated.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:59:27 »
I'm not active on the 40s discord but perhaps it would be worth looking into

Offline Armyofkeyboards

• www.armyofkeyboards.com
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 14:35:01 »
To be honest the raw one looks real good.
I would still offer both polished and unpolished, but I'm pretty sure the unpolished is going to be more popular.

Any idea on the looks of the bottom of the board?

Nice work!

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 12:41:31 »
To be honest the raw one looks real good.
I would still offer both polished and unpolished, but I'm pretty sure the unpolished is going to be more popular.

Any idea on the looks of the bottom of the board?

Nice work!

Thanks! From the IC form responses it seems like a polished version might not be in the first group buy. But we will keep on it depending on the success of the first GB. We will be able to post pictures of the bottom soon.

Offline keybo_hobo

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 13:59:10 »
What is the idea behind those raised edges that makes keycaps flushed with edges of the case?

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 12:25:10 »
The People behind the Ferrum keyboard would like to wish you all a merry Christmas.

279935-0

We are still working hard on finalizing the design. Thank you all who answered the IC. Your feedback has been going into the 2.0 version, which we are working on right now. You can expect a price estimate early next year.  ;)