Author Topic: [IC UPDATE] glacier80 – a TKL with F13 keyboard  (Read 64517 times)

Offline made in China

[IC UPDATE] glacier80 – a TKL with F13 keyboard
« on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:34:28 »
Glacier80

UPDATE:
Sales Information:
- Sales Format: FCFS In-stock
- Quantity: 200pcs (qty. of color split will be soon announced on our discord server, come join us!)
- Fulfilment: 2 to 4 weeks after GB closes

Hello everyone, This is CreateKeebs and this is our 3rd board that we would like to share with you.

First of all, thank you very much for your support for the thera75. As a new team, 1200 units were sold out in 7 days which was beyond our's expectation and made us deeply feel everyone's enthusiasm.

During the design phase of Glacier80, we were thinking about what is the goal of the board. Is it a softer typing experience? Balance? or a deeper sound?
   In the end, we decided to make Glacier80 highlight the original sound of the switch while achieving a flexy typing experience. We have also made a journey into new materials, Mercedes Benz has always been synonymous with high-end brands, especially its high-end series MAYBACH. MAYBACH's beacon is the highlight of the whole series and also a symbol of nobility, because the material used in this beacon is Nickel alloy, rather than Alu or ss. The hardness of nickel is HRC28. Simply speaking, it is harder than stainless steel. It is precisely because of this hardness that we rarely see CNC machining workpiece of this material in daily life, but there is a way to achieve this, that is, through the integrated forming process of nickel electroforming. The common MAYBACH and Mercedes-benz beacon is made of this process

Please fill out the IC Form this information helps a lot

Basic information:

- Layout: TKL with F13
- Color: Black, Blue 2728C, Burgundy 676C
- Material: Top and Bottom case aluminum, while the weight, logo, artisan by nickel electroforming process
- Degree: 6.5 °
- Structure:plateless leaf-spring gasket with an optional plate
- PCB: Hotswap & Soldered both will support VIA/QMK
- Plate: 1.5mm PC/POM/PORON
- Weight: nickel cobalt alloy
- logo: Nickel cobalt alloy
- Artisan: nickel cobalt alloy
- Gakest: 2mm poron
- Will use USB-C daughter board to JST

Colors

PCB and layout:
The PCB is 1.6mm has flex cuts and leaf-springs. With the last GB, a lot of people abandoned the Thera75 because it was soldered only, so for the Glacier80 we also added the hot-swap PCB option, which can also be used with the PC/POM plates to achieve a soft typing. Soldered PCBs support ISO, step CAPS, left shift split, 6.25U and 7U space options; Hot-swap PCB supports only 7U space with WKL. Both PCBS support QMK/VIA

Soldered

Hotswap

Appearance:
The keyboard is TKL with F13, also support WKL. The outline of glacier is set above the direction area, which emphasizes the theme of this work -- glacier. You can also choose an iceberg themed keycap, so that the front view of the keeb is more distinctive.

The side profile of the keyboard is designed with a 270° collision color top and bottom cover. The turning lines on both sides modify the spreading part of the glacier and outline the peak of the glacier above the Type-c interface. This design creates a visual change through the bend of the hard line, eliminating the heavy look of the side, while the peak of the glacier breaks the top line, making the top line simple but not plain.

The bottom of the keyboard is a mirror weight (electroplated nickel). Here we have a full version of the iceberg, in keeping with the fact that glaciers are mostly hidden under water. Similarly, the crest of the glacier protrudes from the top of the rectangular weight, breaking up too many parallel lines to give the back a dull look. At the same time, the glacier part made a 3D visual effect, breaking the restriction of two-dimensional plane, producing a sense of 3D layers.
weight, logo and artsian are made of the same process (nickel and cobalt alloy material) as the Mercedes-benz Maybach standard, manufactured in a full vacuum environment. Compared with the traditional PVD mirror, its mirror part can achieve better gloss and flawless effect, and is not easy to scratch and more durable

Breakdown

Structural :
The plateless design can restore the original sound of the switch to the maximum extent, gaskets give typing a more soft, therefore, GLACIER80 is designed with plateless Gasket structure as the original intention. Poron is still selected as the material of gasket and bottom foam.

Plate foam is 3.5mm poron is included to fill the space under the switch when choosing plateness structure.
The keboard will provide PC/POM/Poron plates for players to choose from, and the plates will be slotted.

Renders

Please fill out the IC Form this information helps a lot

Thank you for your time!
update history:
2021.11.15 - added more color
2021.11.26 - updated information about sales and quantity
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 December 2021, 04:05:25 by made in China »

Offline Kinesiologist

Re: [IC] glacier80 – a TKL with F13 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:38:56 »
yes please
I love the bezels, top logo, and the weight design
can't wait to hear more  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:51:09 by Kinesiologist »

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:41:31 »
The front engraving is pretty simple and nice as well as the bottom-weight, but seeing as there is no proto I don't see the need to include foam until it's determined whether it's needed or not. The colors are pretty nice. Hope to see some target pricing, protos, and less foam.

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:42:45 »
good god that weight is sick. Will there be color options for the bottom case? Also will this an unlimited gb?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:45:04 by jabe8i »

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:43:47 »
you should edit the design after first proto so it sounds good without foam  :)

Offline Krolyk

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 21:44:27 »
I won't be missing this. Price estimate?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 21:52:47 »
Innovation!! This is super stylish and I'd really like to see a proto, especially to get a better look at that bottom weight. I think the blocker design above the arrows could be a little nicer though, for now it looks a little basic. Maybe you could lean into the cursive look of the 'glacier' engraving and make the blocker look more like it was hand-drawn? GLWIC! (And I love the green)

Offline FredNeverDead

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:03:54 »
The front engraving is pretty simple and nice as well as the bottom-weight, but seeing as there is no proto I don't see the need to include foam until it's determined whether it's needed or not. The colors are pretty nice. Hope to see some target pricing, protos, and less foam.
you know you can just not use the foam if you dont like it lol. some people like the sound profile foam gives or pe foam specifically so i dont see a problem even if its good without foam, which it probably is.

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:19:13 »
you know you can just not use the foam if you dont like it lol. some people like the sound profile foam gives or pe foam specifically so i dont see a problem even if its good without foam, which it probably is.
I think what they mean is that boards recently have been over-reliant on foam to get a "pleasing" sound, it removes any kind of uniqueness of the sound profile (makes it sound too similar to other boards with foam), and in some cases the board doesn't sound good without it.
if they can make the board sound good without foam then it would be alot better for the buyer since options are always good
Plus having foam as a default option is added cost (granted its just a small price bump but added cost nonetheless).
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:21:15 by jabe8i »

Offline pelinot

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:23:58 »

You have cloudline, no more boards for you unless you are going to be doing a review, still waiting on cloudline review as well

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:26:55 »

So then the foam should be included as an optional addon for those who want it. Otherwise those who don't are just wasting money to pay for more rubbish.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 22:27:11 »
I think what they mean is that boards recently have been over-reliant on foam to get a "pleasing" sound, it removes any kind of uniqueness of the sound profile (makes it sound too similar to other boards with foam), and in some cases the board doesn't sound good without it.
if they can make the board sound good without foam then it would be alot better for the buyer since options are always good
Plus having foam as a default option is added cost (granted its just a small price bump but added cost nonetheless).

This ^

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 23:23:06 »
hoping to see proto pics tho.. kinda nice
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline Sissy

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 23:28:55 »
Nice board overall, I like the cutout at the USB and side profile.
I would suggest allowing a split shift on the right.

Offline Jacki

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 00:02:05 »
I want this badly, praying for Unlimited.

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline weiqitoby

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 03:08:10 »
Reserved

Sent from my LIO-AN00 using Tapatalk

Offline FredNeverDead

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 07:41:31 »
i mean we dont know how it will sound yet, i dont think theyre putting the foam because of fear of it sounding bad without, i think its more because people like having the option. I see your point, and if it does end up sounding bad without foam thatd be verry dissapointing, but theres no protos so we dont know how it sounds and it never hurts to have the option if someone for example likes that pe foamy sound. but who knows, i guess we just gotta wait for protos and reviews lol

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 08:07:54 »
i mean we dont know how it will sound yet, i dont think theyre putting the foam because of fear of it sounding bad without, i think its more because people like having the option. I see your point, and if it does end up sounding bad without foam thatd be verry dissapointing, but theres no protos so we dont know how it sounds and it never hurts to have the option if someone for example likes that pe foamy sound. but who knows, i guess we just gotta wait for protos and reviews lol

You're right, we don't know how it will sound yet. Which is why I support the decision to include 90 Kailh Box Navies with each purchase. It only adds $45 to the price, but it never hurts to have the option if someone for example likes that box clicky sound. It's just an option, right, so it can't hurt to include!

Offline Capone1423

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 08:34:09 »
What typ of alu are you using for the case?

Offline Havox

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 08:49:24 »
Looks great!

Offline nuuw

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 11:28:49 »

You're right, we don't know how it will sound yet. Which is why I support the decision to include 90 Kailh Box Navies with each purchase. It only adds $45 to the price, but it never hurts to have the option if someone for example likes that box clicky sound. It's just an option, right, so it can't hurt to include!

Difference being that foam costs what, like a dollar?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 October 2021, 17:13:24 by nuuw »

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 13:04:59 »
Yea it'll never hurt if it were an additional option. The problem is that it is included in the base kit, which then adds cost.
Also, I wasn't just talking about PE foam because that would only increase the cost by a couple dollars, I was also talking about the case and pcb foam which would actually increase the cost a bit more.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 18:25:10 »
Foam costs like a dollar or two so including foam hurts the anti-foam ego more than the wallet. I don't see the point of complaining about foam because removing it will probably reduce the cost by that dollar or two at most, just to give the buyer a sense of pride in "owning a board that doesn't need foam".

Aside from that note, I really like the idea behind the glacier on the weight.

That being said, I  am not a fan of the "glacier" written engraving - not to offend, but the style definitely looks more like slow and unsure handwritten cursive from grade school rather than an elegant and classy scripture style like the Jane / Alice engravings. Also I think the foot placement is a bit strange looking.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 21:32:44 »
the discussion over foam just seems silly because it's not like we were not putting shelf liner and Sorbothane in our cases for years before foam become somewhat of a trend for designers.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 22:02:48 »
the discussion over foam just seems silly because it's not like we were not putting shelf liner and Sorbothane in our cases for years before foam become somewhat of a trend for designers.

Based

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 22:18:09 »
Yea I guess that's true. Its just that foam kinda feels like a cop out sometimes.
I know this isn't true for all designers but when a board is designed with foam in mind acoustics might take a backseat since foam can probably save the board.

Foam costs like a dollar or two so including foam hurts the anti-foam ego more than the wallet. I don't see the point of complaining about foam because removing it will probably reduce the cost by that dollar or two at most, just to give the buyer a sense of pride in "owning a board that doesn't need foam".
I'm not necessarily anti-foam, a board that sounds good with AND without foam is just a better product overall. Granted "good" sound is subjective but theres at least some sort of a consensus of what a bad board sound like lol

Im gonna shut up about this now, its getting kinda dumb and it was already stupid to begin with lol

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 23:23:26 »
nice board, looking forward to seeing how this develops

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 23:38:01 »
I would like more board with my foam please.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 01:27:40 »
Difference being that foam costs what, like a dollar?

Right and I would prefer the $1 to the foam. Hell, there could be zero difference in cost and I'd still go foamless on environmental grounds.

Literally nobody is hurt by making foam an optional extra. It doesn't matter how much of a minor issue it is, you are objectively running a better GB by making foam an optional addon.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 01:39:32 »
We are now trying to be environmentally friendly while spending thousands of dollars on CNCing aluminum rectangles in China,? Then the anodization and finishing process that is probably even more damaging to the environment

I'd rather pay that $1 for the foam to be included by default, rather than pay the $10 that would be the foam if it were a separate if I'm honest

If the $1 for foam is such a massive turnoff then surely you didn't really want the board anyway, and just wanna argue about foam? Lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2022, 16:51:44 by SDKCAMPING »
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 03:04:29 »
I'd rather pay that $1 for the foam to be included by default, rather than pay the $10 that would be the foam if it were a separate sku if I'm honest

I honestly can't tell if you legitimately think this is a good point or if you're trolling?

If foam costs $1 and is being sold for $10 the problem is not the foam.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 03:12:21 »
I sorta agree on the entire foam theory. If you don't like foam, the easiest choice is to ignore it. If you are afraid that the board will not sound as good as per what you expect without the foam, the easiest choice is to skip the board. if you really like how the board looks and can get over the foamless bad sound, buy it. The designer created the board with foam in mind and kept it optional, there is literally nothing wrong with that. I feel for a preference driven hobby, this is a stupid demand to force the designer in removing something that you could very well chose to ignore during the build.
Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazarι | Tomo

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 03:26:50 »
I'd rather pay that $1 for the foam to be included by default, rather than pay the $10 that would be the foam if it were a separate sku if I'm honest

I honestly can't tell if you legitimately think this is a good point or if you're trolling?

If foam costs $1 and is being sold for $10 the problem is not the foam.

$10 foam is quite reasonable. how much they can charge is not about how much it costs to make but how much someone is willing to pay for it. i can't afford to have the foam made myself as it would probably cost me $20+, and $10 is a reasonable amount for the runner to charge for it. there is no problem with the runner charging $10 for custom cut foam just because it costs them $1. hell, the foam might even be $5 as a separate option. it's still more than $1, and it will always be more if it is a separate option because the order quantity would be lower and the runner wouldn't be sure how many to price it at.

the real trolling is you, admitting we don't know how the board will sound, yet whining about the idea of paying $1 for an option that can potentially improve the board's sound. you don't know if the board will sound better or worse with the foam, you are just against the option because it is foam. elitism at its finest

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2021, 03:28:29 by SDKCAMPING »
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline tunpjt

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 08:38:01 »
Hi friend.
when did you start GB ?
How much price ?

Offline Paragon

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 09:25:21 »
I think its a nice looking board that brings a unique look to the table. That weight is going to suck to machine with the angles, I think people would be happy with a logo that's similar to the one on the front. Also thats an iceberg not a glacier.

Offline WK

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 15:24:22 »
Also thats an iceberg not a glacier.

Yeah, I've raised this with them already. Their response was "what's the difference? both will melt in a couple decades..."

Offline made in China

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 20:25:02 »
Hi friend.
when did you start GB ?
How much price ?
sorry,time is remainly TBD,400usd around

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 21:09:17 »
Hi friend.
when did you start GB ?
How much price ?
sorry,time is remainly TBD,400usd around
That's not bad, will wait for proto, interested in seeing the quality of the weight

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 05:23:27 »
it's a yes from me. the black one is perfect.

Offline 0x15

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 05:13:33 »
Absolutely love the design, blue or black are dope  :thumb:

Offline bert039

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 07:12:35 »
I like this but absolutely will not consider buying if the word 'glacier' is engraved next to a picture of an iceberg.

Offline Hiiro_XoXo

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 15:50:55 »
this looks amazing. hoping ill have some money for this

Offline grayboards

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 30 October 2021, 01:58:16 »
wow, that weight tho :)

Offline walie

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 16:39:22 »
Hard Nope

Offline Stilou Studio

• Formerly Seo
  • Danish Designed Keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 06:26:00 »
Absolutely love this!
GLWIC

Offline NightFox99

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 15:15:18 »
Hard Yes. Three times in a row. Splendid design.

Offline Mandabanker007

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 18:18:48 »
Super nice weight

Offline Snowland

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 13:21:09 »
It looks divine. No timeline yet, not even a rough one?

Offline zekth

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 16:12:10 »
Noice

Regarding the burgundy, picture mention 202c and the text mention 676C . Which one will it be?

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 13:34:51 »
polished SS is always nice to see. Good design.
Lead Keyboard Cringeneer.
Alps and Space Invaders enthusiast.