Author Topic: [IC] *not a group buy* Model M Tour  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
[IC] *not a group buy* Model M Tour
« on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:20:52 »
This is a bit of an outlandish plan, but I want everyone to be able to experience the greatness of mechanical keyboards. Particularly, buckling springs. I plan to let everyone get a hands-on feel of what a Model M feels like to type on.
  Here's how it would work.
   - I will ship off the Model M to the first person on the list. It will include packing peanuts, and will be shipped in a large box. NOT TO BE DISPOSED,           UNLESS YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO BUY A NEW BOX.
   - You will have a week to enjoy the Model M, and ship to the next person. You WILL be reimbursed for the shipping. Costs will work like this. You will pay a shipping fee before you are shipped the board. This will either be sent to me, or the person who is shipping the board to you. I have to further refine this process, open to suggestions.
   - If you lose or decide to steal the board for yourself, congratulations, you've ruined a nice thing for the whole community. This project will run on the HONOR SYSTEM. For this reason, I might add a post count requirement for all participants, as a reassurance.

Thanks for reading, guys. I might just be a kid with an outlandish idea, but I would love for some feedback from the community, and suggestions to further refine this whole process. I'm obviously missing a few key details. DON'T BE AFRAID TO CRITICIZE ME! Tell me I'm being crazy! Thanks y'all!
P.S. http://goo.gl/forms/Jl5Ov2WrQ9 Here's the google form I made for the people who are interested, this is just to get a general idea. Thanks!  :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:46:57 by Remenition »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [IC] *not a group buy* Project M
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:22:58 »
Good luck with your keyboard tour!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:29:33 »
May I suggest using a box from the post office, that way in case a new box is needed it is extremely easy to find?

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:31:17 »
May I suggest using a box from the post office, that way in case a new box is needed it is extremely easy to find?
That's what I was thinking, a flat rate box or something.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:32:04 »
Is it worth ~$18 to just try a buckling springs board?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:32:57 »
Something similar has been done for Novatouch: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64602.0

Maybe looking at the rules and how the tour is done will help you figure out the best way to do it.

But I agree with Sethk, box will get damaged, so you need a standard box.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:34:09 »
I wasn't aware that shipping costed that much, with the box already provided. Honestly, probably not. I was thinking of having a run of the same calibur once I get my topre board, but that's a little more risky. Thanks for your input!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:34:12 »

A Model M fits nicely inside a USPS Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Box. They are sometimes hard to find, as most post offices don't keep stock of those board game boxes (well, except MY local post office, for obvious reasons). You can order a 25-pack of them for free from here. Shipping cost for those is $17.90 ($15.80 if you buy the label online at USPS.com).
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:36:41 »

If your plans after the tour were to just buy a model M, maybe not. But if you were thinking of a Model F/SSK/Kish then 20$ to test first could be worth it for sure. Kind of like a 10-15$ switch tester to buy a 80$ QFR.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:43:57 »
Something similar has been done for Novatouch: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64602.0

Maybe looking at the rules and how the tour is done will help you figure out the best way to do it.

But I agree with Sethk, box will get damaged, so you need a standard box.
Thanks! The flat rate boxes look great. It seems like CPTBadAss has everything worked out with his NovaTouch tour. Just saw it, looked great. Was planning to do something similar with a RF87U55G. Thanks! I'll definitely look over how he organized everything, hope he even gives me some input here.

If your plans after the tour were to just buy a model M, maybe not. But if you were thinking of a Model F/SSK/Kish then 20$ to test first could be worth it for sure. Kind of like a 10-15$ switch tester to buy a 80$ QFR.

Yeah, I agree completely. There's not many options to test our topre, alps, and buckling spring boards. I know I had to take a leap of faith when I bought the Model M, and I'm still not even completely sold on buckling springs. I think if people are willing to shell out the 16 - 18$, it can either save them money from buying a Model M if they don't like it, or completely sell them on a buckling spring board.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:46:17 »
You may want to rename the title. I thought this was a new keyboard or something. Not a tour.

You'll have to build trust somehow. You want to instate a post count requirement yet you yourself have a low one. Not that it's a bad thing but it's something to consider. I have a high one on mine because the board isn't mine. I was entrusted it from mkawa and CM so I took some steps to make sure I had some trustworthy people involved. Post count =/= Trust but it can be a start. If I toured my own boards, it'd be different.

The shipping thing is a bit confusing. Might want to think about that a bit more.

Consider that you may lose the board and it might be very hard to get your insurance money back from USPS. Are you willing to risk a Model M and a Realforce that you bought for your own money?

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:52:33 »
You'll have to build trust somehow. You want to instate a post count requirement yet you yourself have a low one. Not that it's a bad thing but it's something to consider. I have a high one on mine because the board isn't mine. I was entrusted it from mkawa and CM so I took some steps to make sure I had some trustworthy people involved. Post count =/= Trust but it can be a start. If I toured my own boards, it'd be different.
I agree that it's a bit hypocritical to instill a post count requirement while mine is very low, but at the end of the day, it's my board, and I think people will have to understand that. There's no way shape or form that I can scam them (I think?), so I don't see how my post count would come into play. And I definitely agree, post count =/= trust because hey, look at my post count, and I like to think of myself as a trustworthy person. I'll definitely have to think the whole process over, as yours seems very organized, and at the end of the day, you're not putting your own boards at risk. It's definitely something to consider though, I just want to help the community and give them the chance to try different boards. Maybe I guess after all I have to leave that to the big guys with connections with CM like yourself.  :-[ Thanks for your feedback overall!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [IC] *not a group buy* Model M Tour
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:55:31 »
I don't have connnections lol. Mkawa got the boards from CM, not me. He passed them my way 'cause he didn't have time to run a tour.

And you're right, it's your boards so organize the tour the way you want. I loan out my MX switch tester to anyone that asks (PM me if you're interested) and I don't have a post count requirement or anything. I've tried a deposit in the past but honestly, I don't mind if the switch tester gets lost. So whatever you think is good for your boards, that's fine.

Edit: Something else to consider, if you have an e-waste recycler near you, you can pick up a Model M for really cheap.

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:55:50 »
$16 is a bit steep to just try out a Model M - and one of those boxes can actually fit two keyboards for the same price. As extra incentive for the tour (and anything that encourages more people to try buckling springs is a Good Thing), perhaps include a capacitive example, as well. I just gave away my extra XT, but there must be someone else with a moldering backup they can donate to the cause...
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:57:37 by shrubkeys »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:57:58 »
That's unfortunately the reality of USPS shipping these days. Even with a normal box, the shipping for a keyboard is $10-12. Flat rates are $18 for the board game box? There's not much you can do to get around it.

If you throw a Model F in with a Model M, consider that the F is metal and M is plastic. The two in a box together may turn out to be an issue.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:00:44 »
Yeah, maybe that's not the best idea. I'll definitely try to give a little more incentive, but at the end of the day, I don't get anything out of it, aside from the joy of helping someone else. It's up to the people that decide that they want to shell out the money to try a buckling spring board before they buy one, that's all.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:52:58 »
definitely interested! been wanting to try out buckling spring and this may be the catalyst for me getting a ssk to use  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:59:23 »
Just my .02

No, I wouldn't pay $16 for a Model M tour. The boards are too common (at least IMO) to warrant a tour when they can be purchased for just a little more than that, sometimes cheaper if you are lucky.

Now, a Model F or a Beamspring board I would pay for to try. They're less common.

Shipping is confusing too. Just make people deal with the shipping.

Edit: About the trust thing, as far as you are concerned, this would be a good way to get it. I'd probably go with a different keyboard all together, but that's up to you.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:01:26 by jerue »

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:45:32 »
Just my .02

No, I wouldn't pay $16 for a Model M tour. The boards are too common (at least IMO) to warrant a tour when they can be purchased for just a little more than that, sometimes cheaper if you are lucky.

Now, a Model F or a Beamspring board I would pay for to try. They're less common.

Edit: About the trust thing, as far as you are concerned, this would be a good way to get it. I'd probably go with a different keyboard all together, but that's up to you.  :thumb:
Thanks for your opinion! I can definitely see where you're coming from. Just an idea, testing the waters for more to come! :) I'm just trying to better the community. If people don't want it, it won't happen. Simple. It all comes down to the people that this is for. PS: How're you liking that Realforce? Planning to get one once  the white colorway comes back in stock at elitekeyboards. Also, cool signature, how'd you get the realforce logo like that?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:11:36 »
Just my .02

Thanks for your opinion! I can definitely see where you're coming from. Just an idea, testing the waters for more to come! :) I'm just trying to better the community. If people don't want it, it won't happen. Simple. It all comes down to the people that this is for. PS: How're you liking that Realforce? Planning to get one once  the white colorway comes back in stock at elitekeyboards. Also, cool signature, how'd you get the realforce logo like that?

I do appreciate your efforts  :) keyboard tours are very cool, I just missed sign ups for the Novatouch Tour. Hopefully it's back soon since Topre to MX Sliders aren't on ctrlalt yet.

Realforce 55g is amazing. It's now my daily driver at work. I swap between it on my desktop and the HHKB on my laptops. 55g is definitely the most satisfying of the bunch, I appreciate 45g Topre but I may do a 55g mod in the future.

You can make the Realforce by using a Lambda (Λ) character and setting the font to Times New Roman. Color the lambda red, and it looks like the actual Realforce logo. I spent a little time updating the styling of everything  :)

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:19:23 »
Just my .02

I do appreciate your efforts  :) keyboard tours are very cool, I just missed sign ups for the Novatouch Tour. Hopefully it's back soon since Topre to MX Sliders aren't on ctrlalt yet.

Realforce 55g is amazing. It's now my daily driver at work. I swap between it on my desktop and the HHKB on my laptops. 55g is definitely the most satisfying of the bunch, I appreciate 45g Topre but I may do a 55g mod in the future.

You can make the Realforce by using a Lambda (Λ) character and setting the font to Times New Roman. Color the lambda red, and it looks like the actual Realforce logo. I spent a little time updating the styling of everything  :)
Sounds great! Real excited for it to come back in stock on elitekeyboards.com Also looking for PuLSE set for my POK3R, and some artisans. Got a lot to buy! My wallet is scared, but I think we will get through it. Now to find people selling these elusive items... :/ Tis the sad part about any hobby like this